Moxi HD DVR - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1711 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Moxi box just lost all my saved programs.

I had about 10 programs saved, all in HD, taking up about 15% of the HD.

I watched a show, then when I pressed stop I chose delete, yes delete, and then the list of recorded shows came up. The list now only contained the 6 shows I had set to never delete. All the other shows were now gone.

Then I proceeded to see what else was messed up, pressing the left and right buttons to see some of the other Moxi menus. When it hit the Media Server item the device froze. No response for 5 minutes. So I pressed the reset button.

After about 15 minutes of "checking the disk" the reboot finished, but now ALL of my saved programs were gone. Moxi support tells me the box reformatted my HD "due to a corruption problem".

One other person has posted this happening to them on this site. Anyone else have it happen to them? If so, what were you doing last? Maybe there is a problem with their delete algorithm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCastles View Post

I watched a show, then when I pressed stop I chose delete, yes delete, and then the list of recorded shows came up. The list now only contained the 6 shows I had set to never delete. All the other shows were now gone.

Then I proceeded to see what else was messed up, pressing the left and right buttons to see some of the other Moxi menus. When it hit the Media Server item the device froze. No response for 5 minutes. So I pressed the reset button.

After about 15 minutes of "checking the disk" the reboot finished, but now ALL of my saved programs were gone. Moxi support tells me the box reformatted my HD "due to a corruption problem".

One other person has posted this happening to them on this site. Anyone else have it happen to them? If so, what were you doing last? Maybe there is a problem with their delete algorithm.

That happened to me once. It turned out to be a bad harddrive. Please give Moxi support a call so they can look into this for you. It could be a bad harddrive or it could be something.

They overnighted a replacement unit to me since when the harddrive on my unit was confirmed bad.
post #1713 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

After over a week of waiting, my Moxi+2 mates order was further backordered until Mar 23rd. Is Moxi just getting popular or did they run into any problems?

I think Moxi is now getting popular with the Tivo crowd, many of whom were disappointed by the latest Tivo.
post #1714 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

A new review from today.

http://www.buying-hdtv.com/TB/?P=3291

Some incorrect information in the review

ARRIS introduced a three-tuner version, as well. Beyond the number of tuners, the two models are identical.

The three tuner model has 512MB of RAM. The two tuner has 256MB of RAM.
post #1715 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks back (previously posted). I decided to load it up with recordings again to make sure if the hard drive was about to go it went while I could get another box for free. Two weeks later it happened again and I had a new 3 tuner box two days later. They (Moxi) were very responsive. They concluded it was a bad hard drive based on the logs.
post #1716 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Hi all,

I'm another Tivo Series 3 owner looking to jump ship. The two things I'd miss if I go with Moxi are OTA recording and downloading shows from Moxi to PC (i.e. tivo-to-go).

OTA I can live without. Downloading shows to the pc would be tougher to live without. While I know that there is no supported way to do this with Moxi, has anyone hacked a way yet?

Alternatively, have there been any rumors that this might be supported by Moxi at some point in the future?
post #1717 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post

OTA I can live without. Downloading shows to the pc would be tougher to live without. While I know that there is no supported way to do this with Moxi, has anyone hacked a way yet?

Alternatively, have there been any rumors that this might be supported by Moxi at some point in the future?

Doubtful that will ever be implemented. Content security is one of the reasons the drive isn't "user" replaceable - although there have been some unofficial experiments with it in the last month.

If you want an answer, title your post directly to Moxi and the Moxi rep who posts here might see it and give you a response.

And you can go OTA with the Hauppuage USB dongle but using that reliably depends on who your provider is.

post #1718 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For any new thread viewers who want to see what Moxi can and cannot do ...

Moxi:
https://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/mox...sers_guide.pdf

Mate:
https://moxi.com/us/support/moxi_mat...sers_guide.pdf

post #1719 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Ugh. Reading this thread is like trying to follow a 6yearold with ADD on crack. MOXI has got to make an official forum. Making use of modern new-fangled features like - you know - multiple threads.

Just throwin' in...

1) My MOXI mate definitely freezes sometimes on the DVR menu. The is very annoying - sometimes 20-30+ seconds (a long time when you are in the final stretch on the treadmill). It is still better than any other media extender solutions, but this seems to be a hiccup. (I say this just to set proper expectations for buyers...)

2) I installed my external HD. Been working flawlessly. I used the enclosure previously posted (eSATA only) and a Pipeline drive. Awsome.
post #1720 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, and the info about the Hauppuage dongle - I'll look into that.

Are there no hacks out there for downloading-shows-to-pc yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Doubtful that will ever be implemented. Content security is one of the reasons the drive isn't "user" replaceable - although there have been some unofficial experiments with it in the last month.

If you want an answer, title your post directly to Moxi and the Moxi rep who posts here might see it and give you a response.

And you can go OTA with the Hauppuage USB dongle but using that reliably depends on who your provider is.

post #1721 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post

Thanks for the reply, and the info about the Hauppuage dongle - I'll look into that.

On the Moxi site it's this:

http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/mo...hp?pid=785274K

But you've probably seen it everywhere else as this:

http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hvr1950.html

post #1722 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitall View Post

Ugh. Reading this thread is like trying to follow a 6yearold with ADD on crack. MOXI has got to make an official forum. Making use of modern new-fangled features like - you know - multiple threads.

Just throwin' in...

1) My MOXI mate definitely freezes sometimes on the DVR menu. The is very annoying - sometimes 20-30+ seconds (a long time when you are in the final stretch on the treadmill). It is still better than any other media extender solutions, but this seems to be a hiccup. (I say this just to set proper expectations for buyers...)

2) I installed my external HD. Been working flawlessly. I used the enclosure previously posted (eSATA only) and a Pipeline drive. Awsome.

I just purchased the 3-tuner Moxi and need to buy an external storage drive for it. Would you please give the model number/size of "Pipeline Drive" and enclosure. Is this something for an amateur to connect up?
Thanks,
Dick
post #1723 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

I just purchased the 3-tuner Moxi and need to buy an external storage drive for it. Would you please give the model number/size of "Pipeline Drive" and enclosure. Is this something for an amateur to connect up?
Thanks,
Dick

It is fairly easy to load a drive in an enclosure but if you want a plug and go solution that is designed for DVR use the Iomega 1TB DVR expander works with Moxi.

Moxi will only officially support DVR certified drives but people have had good results and saved a few dollars by going the build it yourself route.
post #1724 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitall View Post

There is an unoffical forum at moxiforum.com but that site isn't too active yet.

It would be nice to be able to split out some discussion topics.
post #1725 of 6344 Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

There is an unoffical forum at moxiforum.com but that site isn't too active yet.

It would be nice to be able to split out some discussion topics.

So ... go ahead.

If anyone wants to start a "Moxi - External and internal storage tips" I'm sure it would be used. It just needs one person to make the first post about the drive hardware they are using ...

post #1726 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Dick

Dick,

Some people have reported succuess with this enclosure. If you buy a different enclosure make sure it is a eSATA only enclosure.

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/alexsaiiesdr.html

and this harddrive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3136390&SID=

I am on the other hand using just a power cable, eSATA to SATA cable. This has been near 100% reliable.

Here is my post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17923301
post #1727 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

A new review from today.

http://www.buying-hdtv.com/TB/?P=3291

Some incorrect information in the review

ARRIS introduced a three-tuner version, as well. Beyond the number of tuners, the two models are identical.

The three tuner model has 512MB of RAM. The two tuner has 256MB of RAM.

More of a feature description than a review.
post #1728 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Dick,

Some people have reported succuess with this enclosure. If you buy a different enclosure make sure it is a eSATA only enclosure.

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/alexsaiiesdr.html

and this harddrive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3136390&SID=

I am on the other hand using just a power cable, eSATA to SATA cable. This has been near 100% reliable.

Here is my post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17923301

I found this comment at the hard drive link above:
Cons: If this drives comes with the stock SD15, SD17, or SD19 firmware, beware of write cache flush lockups/freezes. Seagate has released a new SD1A firmware that fixes this issue.

So there is more to do than just connect the hard drive to the Moxi? How does the firmware update occur? I'm confused, as you can tell.

Thanks,
Dick
post #1729 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I found this comment at the hard drive link above:
Cons: If this drives comes with the stock SD15, SD17, or SD19 firmware, beware of write cache flush lockups/freezes. Seagate has released a new SD1A firmware that fixes this issue.

So there is more to do than just connect the hard drive to the Moxi? How does the firmware update occur? I'm confused, as you can tell.

Thanks,
Dick

Derrick purchased the Seagate.

I actually own the
Western Digital Green 1.5TB drive WD15EADS
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822136351

I am not aware of the need for a firmware upgrade.

Just plug it in. Moxi will detect it and format it for you. Should be as simple as that.
post #1730 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Derrick purchased the Seagate.

I actually own the
Western Digital Green 1.5TB drive WD15EADS
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822136351

I am not aware of the need for a firmware upgrade.

Just plug it in. Moxi will detect it and format it for you. Should be as simple as that.

I haven't had any issues with the Seagate drive. I'm not sure of any firmware upgrades that are needed for it to run properly, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is....
post #1731 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Is it possible to purchase the 3-tuner model from anywhere other than the moxi.com site.
post #1732 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 AM

I would like to see an online scheduling advanced search option to restrict channel, search full description, only HD, etc.
post #1733 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

Is it possible to purchase the 3-tuner model from anywhere other than the moxi.com site.

Amazon is the only other retailer I know of for Moxi...
post #1734 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Amazon is the only other retailer I know of for Moxi...

I've sort of been looking at Moxi for the last week or so at Amazon, and they have not had the 3-tuner version listed. At least it never came up in my searches. The 2-tuner has though.
post #1735 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_c View Post

I've sort of been looking at Moxi for the last week or so at Amazon, and they have not had the 3-tuner version listed. At least it never came up in my searches. The 2-tuner has though.

That is what I see also. I am asking becuase the moxi.com site charges a sales tax.
post #1736 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry folks.

It seems the 3 Tuner model is an Moxi.com exclusive for now.
post #1737 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The other day, I was trying to watch a recorded program from the mate, and I was not able to watch it without canceling one of the three programs being recorded. The program I was trying to watch had been recorded previously, so that seemed weird to me. Is this a normal limitation?

Thanks.

Mark
post #1738 of 6344 Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

The other day, I was trying to watch a recorded program from the mate, and I was not able to watch it without canceling one of the three programs being recorded. The program I was trying to watch had been recorded previously, so that seemed weird to me. Is this a normal limitation?

Thanks.

Mark

That is not a normal limitation. You might want to report this to Moxi support since it seems like a bug.
post #1739 of 6344 Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:

I lost all of my recorded programs as well.

Mid-afternoon 3/7/10, my Moxi froze up. I was watching Live TV. Screen went all black. I had no choice but to hit the reset button. Over 10 minutes of "Moxi Checking Hard Drive." After the reboot, all of my recorded programs were gone. I was so upset. My Three-Tuner Moxi is new...activated Feb. 19. Do we have defective hard drives?
post #1740 of 6344 Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I lost all of my recorded programs as well.

Mid-afternoon 3/7/10, my Moxi froze up. I was watching Live TV. Screen went all black. I had no choice but to hit the reset button. Over 10 minutes of "Moxi Checking Hard Drive." After the reboot, all of my recorded programs were gone. I was so upset. My Three-Tuner Moxi is new...activated Feb. 19. Do we have defective hard drives?

midas89,

Please call Moxi Support and have them log a ticket.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page