Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1801 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I play DVD's that I ahve converted to mp4 via handbrake on my moxi. Only issue is I lose 5.1 sound through the Moxi and no sound is outputted when dolby digital is turned on. I hope they fix this annoying bug as the PS3 plays the files with 5.1 sound perfectly.

-Evangelo2

PS. This is only an issue in my main theater room where the Moxi is hooked up to my AVR. The Moxi mates I have don't have this issue because they are simply outputting stereo sound to the tv anyway over HDMI...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it only that format? And do you know if it's the PlayOn software or the unit itself?
post #1803 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_c View Post

Is it only that format? And do you know if it's the PlayOn software or the unit itself?

I doubt that he is using PlayOn. PlayOn transcodes all files unless they are .mpg files. (As a side note, if you rename an .mp4 file to .mpg, PlayOn seems to pass it through without transcoding. I only tested this through PlayOn with the localfiles plugin. PlayOn's built in feature may work differently.)

I can confirm that the Moxi doesn't handle the 5.1 audio with handbrake encoded files through several different DLNA servers. It isn't a problem on the DLNA server that causes this.
post #1804 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jon_c,

Moxi is DLNA compliant. That means it can communicate with any other DLNA compliant devices.

Some of the notable DLNA certified devices are:

Windows 7
Playstation 3
certain NAS devices

What this allows is for you to connect to these devices and play video and music from them. So for instance, if you have tons of videos and music on your Windows 7 PC or Network storage devices, Moxi should be able to connect and then view and play them. Keep in mind, there might be some format issues since there is a myriad of video types. Furthermore, the controls on the remote works but requires some finesse to juggle these file types.

PlayOn when installed on a PC will allow you to connect to various VOD services such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc using DLNA
post #1805 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Some of the notable DLNA certified devices are:

Windows 7
Playstation 3
certain NAS devices

I think you can add some routers to that list... my Netgear 3700 does DLNA and UPnP. I CAN shut my computer off and still do media serving to my PS3 by virtue of plugging a storage device into my router.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1806 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

I can confirm that the Moxi doesn't handle the 5.1 audio with handbrake encoded files through several different DLNA servers. It isn't a problem on the DLNA server that causes this.

Seems odd that it's defined to Handbrake files. Do other encoders not have a similar problem?

Thanks acaoacao, I'm trying to understand if it's the encoder, the wrapper, the server or the moxi unit itself that is causing this issue.

It would seem like the moxi unit is the problem if the PS3 can play the same file correctly, but I have been having some 'quirks' with this latest build of Handbrake for files that I play through my XBox...
post #1807 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Seems odd that it's defined to Handbrake files. Do other encoders not have a similar problem?

Thanks acaoacao, I'm trying to understand if it's the encoder, the wrapper, the server or the moxi unit itself that is causing this issue.

It would seem like the moxi unit is the problem if the PS3 can play the same file correctly, but I have been having some 'quirks' with this latest build of Handbrake for files that I play through my XBox...

I have only tried handbrake. If someone finds a format that does support 5.1 audio I might re-encode my DVD library but I would prefer a fix from Moxi.
post #1808 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM

question for the thread:

How does the Moxi work with tuning adapters? I have two tivo's now each with a TA, if I got a moxi does it work with all 3 tuners with one TA? I am guessing I would need one TA per moxi with tuners (not the extenders)
post #1809 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

PS. This is only an issue in my main theater room where the Moxi is hooked up to my AVR. The Moxi mates I have don't have this issue because they are simply outputting stereo sound to the tv anyway over HDMI...

Does this mean Moxi mates do not output 5.1 sound over HDMI?
post #1810 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Can I please vent and share my research here, since trying to explain to my husband is useless? (he's "technologically challenged")

We're planning to move from DirecTV to FIOS. I'm researching my DVR options because I have the following issues with Verizon's available hardware:

1) Multiroom viewing- You can view recorded shows from any TV, but you can only manage recordings and RW/FF live TV on the main DVR. I am used to being able to RW/FF live TV on at least 2 of my 3 TVs, so I know this will annoy me.

2) DVR Space- Only holds 20 hrs of HD recordings. My husband is a cyclist fanatic. Each daily Tour de France show is 4 hours! That means my shows would be deleted almost instantly. Not acceptable.

3) Cost- In order to have a similar configuration as I have now I would have to pay about $40/month in equipment alone. And I won't even own the equipment! (I own my 2 DirecTV DVRs).

I started looking at TIVO, but was put off by the massive initial cost to just have 2 boxes for a semi-multiroom setup (compromising on a standard STB for the 3rd TV in order to keep costs down). At least $860 if I go with the smallest premiere boxes and only a year subscription, $1,300 with lifetime subscription. Plus I'd still have to pay 2 monthly fees ( 1 cablecard for each), which would be another $8/month, and the $6-9 a month for a non-DVR Verizon-owned box for the 3rd TV.

Reading the TIVO forums I saw the Moxi being mentioned, so I googled it and found this thread. I've been reading for the past 4 days, and I'm almost convinced that this is the perfect setup for us. For $999 we'll have no DVR subscription fees, HD DVR access and the ability to RW/FF Live TV on all 3 of our TVs, enough space for all our programs (with option to expand), and we'd only have to pay ONE extra monthly fee of $3.99 (1 cablecard). Am I correct in this assumption?

I have a couple of questions/scenarios (assuming I have the 3-tuner/2 MoxiMates bundle):

1)Let's say we're watching recorded shows on both MoxiMates. Can I record 3 other shows in the main Moxi at the same time? Or is each MoxiMate always using one tuner, even if it is viewing a recorded show?

2)If a MoxiMate is watching the same live channel as the Main Moxi, are they using only one tuner? Does that mean I have the other 2 tuners available to record 2 other shows?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help! I'm very excited about Moxi!
post #1811 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Operon. You may be correct regarding the OS. At this point, we are not sure where the OS resides since we have not been able to traverse the file system.

When the users successfully clone the drive they used RAW mode so it ignore file systems and OS and just do a bit by bit copy.
That being said, it sounds like you are well versed in linux? or file system technology. Do you want to take a crack and try to decode the mystery for us?

Hi Acaoacao,

Less a Linux expert than you think but thanks for the compliment nonetheless. FYI the resultant a bit-by-bit disk clone should not be affected by the platform or program used to create the clone; using a cloning utility on Windows or DOS, for that matter, should yield identical results and is independent of the parent disk's OS, partition structure or file system. That said, I was just trying to point you guys in the right direction. There should be a utility out there that will permit you to read volume data and allow you to deduce the file system used. Since G4L isn't recognizing the file system, it probably isn't one commonly used for Intel-based OSes (and is why you cannot expand the partition to increase space available for the Moxi to use.) They (Moxi) may not trying to be purposefully cryptic but only may be using an embedded OS that uses some other file system. If you were able to determine the controller chip they are using; i.e., if there is an ARM [eg. Conexant] chip inside, this might help to identify the possible file system they use.

As far as me taking a swing at it, I'm somewhat reluctant to pop open the box, potentially voiding the warranty but mostly I'm terribly strapped for the time to sit and play with it. Maybe, during the summer. But I have a number of side projects that I need to do before then.

I just want to encourage you guys to look a little harder since all is not lost. The fact that you can get the cloned drive to go means that they aren't using the drive's serial number in their scheme to prevent tampering. And that's a good thing.

JF
post #1812 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherezada View Post

1)Let's say we're watching recorded shows on both MoxiMates. Can I record 3 other shows in the main Moxi at the same time? Or is each MoxiMate always using one tuner, even if it is viewing a recorded show?

2)If a MoxiMate is watching the same live channel as the Main Moxi, are they using only one tuner? Does that mean I have the other 2 tuners available to record 2 other shows?
)

1) You can record 3 shows at the main moxi while watching a recording on each Moxi Mate and at the Main Moxi.

2) They will be using the same tuner, leaving 2 other tuners free.
post #1813 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

1) You can record 3 shows at the main moxi while watching a recording on each Moxi Mate and at the Main Moxi.

2) They will be using the same tuner, leaving 2 other tuners free.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to order now.
post #1814 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to order now.

For now you still have to manage all your recording on the main unit or online. You can only playback and control live and recorded programming with the Mates.

post #1815 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

For now you still have to manage all your recording on the main unit or online. You can only playback and control live and recorded programming with the Mates.

That's Ok. As long as I can RW/FF Live TV on all boxes I'm happy. I can't stand commercials or not being able to rewind something I missed.

I understand you cannot manage the recordings, but can you set a new program to record from the MoxiMates? I thought I read about record in the MoxiMate manual.
post #1816 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 505
Quote:

I understand you cannot manage the recordings, but can you set a new program to record from the MoxiMates? I though I read about record in the MoxiMate manual.

Not yet. The Mate is basically a big "read only" device. It can see content on the main unit but it cannot interact with it.

post #1817 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Hi Acaoacao,

Less a Linux expert than you think but thanks for the compliment nonetheless. FYI the resultant a bit-by-bit disk clone should not be affected by the platform or program used to create the clone; using a cloning utility on Windows or DOS, for that matter, should yield identical results and is independent of the parent disk's OS, partition structure or file system. That said, I was just trying to point you guys in the right direction. There should be a utility out there that will permit you to read volume data and allow you to deduce the file system used. Since G4L isn't recognizing the file system, it probably isn't one commonly used for Intel-based OSes (and is why you cannot expand the partition to increase space available for the Moxi to use.) They (Moxi) may not trying to be purposefully cryptic but only may be using an embedded OS that uses some other file system. If you were able to determine the controller chip they are using; i.e., if there is an ARM [eg. Conexant] chip inside, this might help to identify the possible file system they use.

As far as me taking a swing at it, I'm somewhat reluctant to pop open the box, potentially voiding the warranty but mostly I'm terribly strapped for the time to sit and play with it. Maybe, during the summer. But I have a number of side projects that I need to do before then.

I just want to encourage you guys to look a little harder since all is not lost. The fact that you can get the cloned drive to go means that they aren't using the drive's serial number in their scheme to prevent tampering. And that's a good thing.

JF

I am with you on the lack of an urgency to try this. I am more than content with having the backup option of using G4L (Ghost 4 Linux). I am more than satisfied with the easy expansion using eSATA. Right now I have over 300 hours of HD space spread between the internal 500GB and 1.5TB external SATA drive. As long as I can backup the main drive, I am fine.

It was a different story when I was using the TivoHD. I had to update that meager 160GB harddrive. Furthermore their expansion options were wait too expensive. I expanded the TivoHD drive within a week of buying it.

But with the Moxi, I am do not feel the desire to expand the internal drive.

That being said, a few posters earlier posted the Moxi GPL Source Code that was found here.
http://www.digeo.com/partners_technology.jsp

The bottom link has a Moxi Software Open Source Code.
http://www.digeo.com/opensource/

It seems to be clearly a Linux OS. Okay.. Linux experts. Please dig and explore and report back your findings.
post #1818 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelm View Post

question for the thread:

How does the Moxi work with tuning adapters? I have two tivo's now each with a TA, if I got a moxi does it work with all 3 tuners with one TA? I am guessing I would need one TA per moxi with tuners (not the extenders)

You are correct here. The limitation is not with Moxi but the tuning adapters.

Quote:
18. Does Moxi Support Switched Digital Video?
Yes, Moxi supports Switched Digital Video. You can get a Switched Digital Video adapter from your cable service provider. You should know that if you purchase a 3-tuner Moxi that some cable service providers do not support three tuners with their adapters, and you will only have access to two tuners. Contact your cable service provider to find out whether you're in one of those areas.

post #1819 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

HazelW,

Evangelo2 was referring to playing videos that is saved on a DLNA compliant source and not recorded/live shows from the Moxi.

How do I get my 5.1 Dolby® Digital audio to work with Moxi?
Make sure you are using an S/PDIF connection. In the Settings category, select Audio Output, and then select Dolby Digital
post #1820 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Not using the Mates like that. My mates go straight to tv's via hdmi with no AVR involved so I never output DolbyDigital from them anyway. Haven't even tried it.

By the way, I use Windows 7 to stream. I ahve playon installed but only use it rarely for Netflix Streaming...

-Evangelo2
post #1821 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:

HazelW,

Evangelo2 was referring to playing videos that is saved on a DLNA compliant source and not recorded/live shows from the Moxi.

How do I get my 5.1 Dolby® Digital audio to work with Moxi?
Make sure you are using an S/PDIF connection. In the Settings category, select Audio Output, and then select Dolby Digital

Thanks, but will the mate output Dolby Digital over the HDMI connection?
post #1822 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Thanks again, Domino, for any and all suggestions. My Moxi's Coax is connected to a Channel Master signal amp that is giving what they say is a 7 dB boost. (I did the channel scan with the coax connected to the amp and with the coax just straight from the wall, many times). Every available Free QAM station comes in loud and clear, including the TV Guide Channel and all the Music stations, except 118.6 KCOP Channel 13. Cox says the 118.6 QAM frequency is being transmitted just fine. They said they tested it on a TV with a built-in QAM tuner. But for some reason, the Moxi doesn't list it after repeated channel scans. My guess is that it is a Cox issue. I just wish Moxi had a feature built in where you could manually enter in the QAM frequency.)

I guess I would try (if you haven't) plugging the cable directly into a TV that has a QAM tuner. See if KCOP shows up there. I've read somewhere (I don't remember where) a similar problem that disappeared once all of the channel mapping was done by the CableCARD. The Moxi suddenly received the missing ClearQAM channels. I get KCOP fine OTA here in San Diego. It's not on the cable system down here. BTW, Cox San Diego has remapped all of the local HD channels as 705-711 in ClearQAM, same as on their STBs.
post #1823 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Question:

If I am watching live tv via a MoxiMate, can I hit record and record the show I am watching along with the buffer?

Thanks,

pj
post #1824 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, but will the mate output Dolby Digital over the HDMI connection?

HazelW,

Since I do not not use the HDMI to transmit my audio, I do not have the answer to this specific question.

You can try reaching Moxi and ask them directly.
877-933-4430

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1016 View Post

Question:

If I am watching live tv via a MoxiMate, can I hit record and record the show I am watching along with the buffer?

Thanks,

pj

pj1016,

As of right now, you will not be able to do that on the Moxi Mate. You can only schedule, record and delete items on the main Moxi unit. However, Moxi has indicated that they are working on this type of functionality.

For now, you can manage your recordings on the main Moxi Unit or schedule/delete online (which I find to be very useful).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I play DVD's that I ahve converted to mp4 via handbrake on my moxi. Only issue is I lose 5.1 sound through the Moxi and no sound is outputted when dolby digital is turned on. I hope they fix this annoying bug as the PS3 plays the files with 5.1 sound perfectly.

-Evangelo2

Have you try .mkv files for your ripped DVDs? I have a couple and it seems to work just fine. It is opensource...and here are some reasons to use them.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/05/why-w...hould-too.html
http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/faq/index.html

Furthermore if pirates use it.. then its got to be good
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=62848
post #1825 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1016 View Post

Question:

Thanks,

pj

No. Only from the main DVR.

You could schedule the recording through a web browser and that should also record the live buffer.
post #1826 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I am with you on the lack of an urgency to try this. I am more than content with having the backup option of using G4L (Ghost 4 Linux). I am more than satisfied with the easy expansion using eSATA. Right now I have over 300 hours of HD space spread between the internal 500GB and 1.5TB external SATA drive. As long as I can backup the main drive, I am fine.

It was a different story when I was using the TivoHD. I had to update that meager 160GB harddrive. Furthermore their expansion options were wait too expensive. I expanded the TivoHD drive within a week of buying it.

But with the Moxi, I am do not feel the desire to expand the internal drive.

I'm already bumping up against 98% full. Considering a Synology NAS with an eSata port.

Quote:

That being said, a few posters earlier posted the Moxi GPL Source Code that was found here.
http://www.digeo.com/partners_technology.jsp

The bottom link has a Moxi Software Open Source Code.
http://www.digeo.com/opensource/

It seems to be clearly a Linux OS. Okay.. Linux experts. Please dig and explore and report back your findings.

Sure smells like Linux. Probably an embedded version. (Why deal with the huge kernel of a typical Linux distribution just to run a DVR?) Regardless, this helps. Unless the Moxi people wanted to re-invent the wheel, they probably used one a few disk file systems typically used for embedded Linux. I'll hunt around to see what people use in this case.
post #1827 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I guess I would try (if you haven't) plugging the cable directly into a TV that has a QAM tuner. See if KCOP shows up there. I've read somewhere (I don't remember where) a similar problem that disappeared once all of the channel mapping was done by the CableCARD. The Moxi suddenly received the missing ClearQAM channels. I get KCOP fine OTA here in San Diego. It's not on the cable system down here. BTW, Cox San Diego has remapped all of the local HD channels as 705-711 in ClearQAM, same as on their STBs.

i have a similar problem here. only i'm missing 30+ ClearQAM channels.
i know they are there because HDHomeRun finds them with a scan. i agree that it would be very helpful to be able to manually add missing channels.

i've had an open ticket with moxi support for a week and a half. they have yet to offer any feedback.

i see by reading that most people appear to using their MOXI with a cablecard. has anybody been able to get all ClearQAM channels during a scan without a cablecard?

also, +1 for a dedicated forum.
post #1828 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bobsmith66 View Post

i have a similar problem here. only i'm missing 30+ ClearQAM channels.
i know they are there because HDHomeRun finds them with a scan. i agree that it would be very helpful to be able to manually add missing channels.

i've had an open ticket with moxi support for a week and a half. they have yet to offer any feedback.

i see by reading that most people appear to using their MOXI with a cablecard. has anybody been able to get all ClearQAM channels during a scan without a cablecard?

also, +1 for a dedicated forum.

BobSmith, just to repeat: I am using Cox cable, Orange County. Since they only offer single-stream CableCards, I have been happily using Moxi just off the ClearQAM stations. I can successfully pick up all the ClearQAM's (and there are a lot of them) except for one: KCOP Channel 13. I am surprised to hear your Moxi cannot pick up 30+ ClearQam stations. That should not be happening, of course. I can understand your Moxi not being able to pick up one or two...but 30+? Definitely a problem somewhere.

Good luck!
post #1829 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bobsmith66 View Post

I am using my Moxi without a cablecard. The Moxi picks up the same 100+ ClearQAM channels my HDHomeRun and other QAM TV tuners pick up. Reading in the manual, it states the "Jump" button on the remote can also be used as a decimal (or dash) to manually enter channel numbers. However, I have found this only works when in the "Channel List" in the settings menu.
post #1830 of 6410 Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

I am using my Moxi without a cablecard. The Moxi picks up the same 100+ ClearQAM channels my HDHomeRun and other QAM TV tuners pick up. Reading in the manual, it states the "Jump" button on the remote can also be used as a decimal (or dash) to manually enter channel numbers. However, I have found this only works when in the "Channel List" in the settings menu.

If the QAM Channel, such as 118.6 as one example, is not in the Channel List, you cannot tune to that channel inputing numbers from the remote. The QAM channel must be picked up by the Channel Scan. If the QAM channel is not detected during the scan, I have found no way to manually tune to that QAM station.

Oh, and lucky you, TeeItUp, to have a cable service that offers 100+ ClearQAM stations. That's is way more than my cable company provides.
Reply HDTV Recorders