15Likes

post #1861 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

If the "Tuning Adapter" is because of the cable system changing from analog/digital to digital only, then the answer is YES, you're covered (for six TVs.) Just don't use the "Tuning Adapters." If the "Tuning Adapter" is because of SDV, then the answer is NO (and a whole new can o' worms.)

That is a good point. If the switch is because of an SDV rollout things are way more complicated. Of course if they are Motorola tuning adapters then the Moxi would still be able to use all 3 tuners. Cisco tuning adapters are the ones that only support 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone able to get the Moxi working at 1080/24p? I have an XBR Sony LCD which handles 24p from a PS3 and Samsung HD DVD/Blu Ray player no problem. I've tested the Moxi hooked directly to the TV and it still doesn't work. I realize this is really a non-issue since I'm not going to be receiving anything at 24p (I think), just curious if it works for anyone.
post #1863 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubley View Post

Anyone able to get the Moxi working at 1080/24p? I have an XBR Sony LCD which handles 24p from a PS3 and Samsung HD DVD/Blu Ray player no problem. I've tested the Moxi hooked directly to the TV and it still doesn't work. I realize this is really a non-issue since I'm not going to be receiving anything at 24p (I think), just curious if it works for anyone.

The chip in the Moxi (and Premiere) can't convert to 1080p24. It can only "passthrough" 1080p24 content as is. There is no 1080p24 content on cable right now, so you would need a PC video to test.
post #1864 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The chip in the Moxi (and Premiere) can't convert to 1080p24. It can only "passthrough" 1080p24 content as is. There is no 1080p24 content on cable right now, so you would need a PC video to test.

If I attempt to enable the mode I just get a black screen on the TV, which goes away after 20 or so seconds. Whatever signal its trying to send to the TV is wrong I think.
post #1865 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubley View Post

My Sony 2007 XBR5 has trouble accepting the 24 signal but I can still enable it using blind press (at black screen just hit up or down and press okay) and during boot you'll see the loading screen and Moxi menu at that resolution. As soon as the live channel appears it goes blank.

However the Mate hooked to my 2009 Samsung 650 has no trouble. I can view any content at 24 or 60. Live or recorded TV.

post #1866 of 6410 Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM

I have been using my new Moxi for two days now. The hard drive makes a low frequency gurgling noise that can be heard from across the room. My wife says this is unacceptable (and I tend to agree). Would it do any good to return the unit and try another one or do they all have this problem?
Thanks,
Dick
post #1867 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a friend across the country who has owned a Moxi since last fall. He told me once per week he reboots his Moxi just because he feels it will help keep the Moxi healthy...sort of like rebooting your computer once per week.

He said he has no technical issues that inspired him to do a once-per-week reboot. He just thinks it's good for the hard drive (and to clear the RAM), just like it does for a regular computer with a hard drive and RAM).

Does anyone here agree with his decision to manually reboot the Moxi once per week?
post #1868 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

I have been using my new Moxi for two days now. The hard drive makes a low frequency gurgling noise that can be heard from across the room. My wife says this is unacceptable (and I tend to agree). Would it do any good to return the unit and try another one or do they all have this problem?

What type of noise? Hard drive chirp or constant whining?

Hard drive chirp is normal for every DVR and the Moxi is one of the quieter units I've heard.

post #1869 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I have a friend across the country who has owned a Moxi since last fall. He told me once per week he reboots his Moxi just because he feels it will help keep the Moxi healthy...sort of like rebooting your computer once per week.

He said he has no technical issues that inspired him to do a once-per-week reboot. He just thinks it's good for the hard drive (and to clear the RAM), just like it does for a regular computer with a hard drive and RAM).

Does anyone here agree with his decision to manually reboot the Moxi once per week?

Seems a bit excessive. Once a month maybe, might be theoretically beneficial, but the TA ensures mines reboots at some point anyway so I won't bother.

post #1870 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

What type of noise? Hard drive chirp or constant whining?

Hard drive chirp is normal for every DVR and the Moxi is one of the quieter units I've heard.

I've had 3 or 4 cable company supplied DVRs in the past and never found the hard drive sounds noticable. This MOXI drive is certainly audible from across the room. How to describe the sound? It's not a whine. It sounds like the head thumping around to read the platter. It is a lower frequency than the normal click you refer to. But I guess you already answered my question; this definitely the noisest drive I have ever heard, so I'll send it back and try to get a quiet one.
Thanks,
Dick
post #1871 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree with VisionOn here. I think it is kind of excessive to reboot once a week. I only reboot the Moxi when it is needed.. and that has been happen less and less frequently.

Quote:

Thanks,
Dick

dickmiles,

Do you notice any performance slowdowns? abnormal behavior? Could it be that you think the harddrive is louder since you seen posters having issues with their HD?

I think if the harddrive is having problems, Moxi support can see it in the logs. Call Moxi Support and submit your concerns. Send your logs in and have them look.
post #1872 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

Thanks for all the replies--maybe installing the Moxi HD to Comcast isn't so daunting.

But I do have to ask one question: how am I going to connect the Moxi HD to the Internet when I don't have Ethernet connection nearby? Does Moxi offer a USB 2.0 connection Wi-Fi adapter similar to what TiVo does with the TiVo HD (and soon TiVo Premiere)?

If you are going the Bridge Ethernet route and have considered streaming music to stereo by the Moxi, consider a Squeezebox that has a WiFi bridging function as well.

Update: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11150 no bridging yet on current units due to chipset change.
post #1873 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

I agree with VisionOn here. I think it is kind of excessive to reboot once a week. I only reboot the Moxi when it is needed.. and that has been happen less and less frequently.

dickmiles,

Do you notice any performance slowdowns? abnormal behavior? Could it be that you think the harddrive is louder since you seen posters having issues with their HD?

I think if the harddrive is having problems, Moxi support can see it in the logs. Call Moxi Support and submit your concerns. Send your logs in and have them look.

The Moxi is not silent. With TV on you won't hear it, but with complete quiet you will.
post #1874 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

The Moxi is not silent. With TV on you won't hear it, but with complete quiet you will.

Does it constantly buffer, even when "off?" That could be the issue, the question is can you set a pref to spin down the drive when the unit is "off?"

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1875 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:

We hear the noise even when watching TV. I can ignore the noise, but my wife can't. She has never commented about DVR noise before and we have had several others.
post #1876 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Does it constantly buffer, even when "off?" That could be the issue, the question is can you set a pref to spin down the drive when the unit is "off?"

The OFF button on the remote doesn't seem to do anything. The MOXI hard drive is still searching even when not recording? That's odd.
post #1877 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The OFF button on the remote doesn't seem to do anything. The MOXI hard drive is still searching even when not recording? That's odd.

The OFF button on the remote can be programmed to turn on/off your television or receiver. Moxi does not respond to that button.

Moxi stays on all the time and draws about 30 watts of power. It will buffer live shows when it is on.
post #1878 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

We hear the noise even when watching TV. I can ignore the noise, but my wife can't. She has never commented about DVR noise before and we have had several others.

My Moxi seems to be quieter than my cable company DVR was an that is with the addition of an external hard drive next to the Moxi.

It could be that you have a defective drive.
post #1879 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

RayChaung,

IMHO $7.50 for each M card is excessive. I do not pay a fee for the only cable card.

http://customer.comcast.com/(S(eymyt...4-def06cced0db

According to the link above, it said a second card is $2.05. See if you can get your rate reduced

"How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD."
post #1880 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I've had 3 or 4 cable company supplied DVRs in the past and never found the hard drive sounds noticable. This MOXI drive is certainly audible from across the room. How to describe the sound? It's not a whine. It sounds like the head thumping around to read the platter. It is a lower frequency than the normal click you refer to. But I guess you already answered my question; this definitely the noisest drive I have ever heard, so I'll send it back and try to get a quiet one.
Thanks,
Dick

I noticed similar sounds when I first purchased my Moxi several months ago. I submitted a ticket, but the response was this is normal. I describe it as the read/write clicking of the hard drive. I have found the Moxi is overall quieter than other DVR's especially fan noise, but this makes noises from hard drive more evident. The sound also seems to resonate within the metal case. As an experiment I placed a small hand cloth on top of the unit and the clicking sounds were greatly diminished. It is true the Moxi is always buffering so there is no way to stop the hard drive. My Moxi has been running strong for over 7 months so I do not believe this is evident of a bad drive. If you do end up getting a different box I would be interested to know if it is quieter.
post #1881 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

The Moxi does not turn off, there is no power button.
post #1882 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Folks,

I want to thank you for your help, but because the Moxi HD DVR doesn't support Wi-Fi connections for program guide updates, I had no choice but to order a TiVo HD XL DVR with the Wi-Fi adapter.

I hope that Moxi addresses this issue, since many users can't get a direct Ethernet connection or set up MoCA connections to connect back to the broadband Internet router.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #1883 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Folks,

I want to thank you for your help, but because the Moxi HD DVR doesn't support Wi-Fi connections for program guide updates, I had no choice but to order a TiVo HD XL DVR with the Wi-Fi adapter.

I hope that Moxi addresses this issue, since many users can't get a direct Ethernet connection or set up MoCA connections to connect back to the broadband Internet router.

There is homeplug, which is better then wifi, if you intend to stream.
post #1884 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Folks,

I hope you didn't just order a TivoHD XL with the Premiere out in two weeks.

As noted above, there are other alternatives to MoCA. There are 802.11g and 802.11n client bridges, which turn an ethernet port into a wireless connection. One example of such a product is the upcoming TiVo 802.11n adapter. It plugs into an ethernet port, not USB, so it should work just as well with Moxi.
post #1885 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Folks,

Just keep in mind that you will need to pay $40 for the Tivo G Wireless adapter. A powerline/MoCa solution will cost about $70 dollars. The MoCa and powerline will work more reliably with the Tivo as well.

I also agree. Hold your money and purchase a Tivo Premiere if you want to go the Tivo route.

Moxi probably will not officially endorse wireless since you need a lot of bandwidth for streaming HD. It would open up a can of worms if someone tries to use 802.11X series and they have video streaming quality issues to the Moxi Miate. Especially if you live in a apartment building with a lot of other WiFi routers

Good luck with your purchase!
post #1886 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I hope you didn't just order a TivoHD XL with the Premiere out in two weeks.

I've carefully looked at the specs for the TiVo Premiere XL and frankly, except for the HD-specific menu display and added support for NetFlix, Amazon and Blockbuster video streaming (I'm not interested in these because even with my recently upgraded 6 megabits/second download speed upgrade for my DSL connection, it'll still take too long for a movie to start), it's not much of an improvement over the current TiVo HD XL. Besides, I got the TiVo HD XL plus Wi-Fi adapter for only US$438 through Amazon.com.

Yes, the Moxi HD is a great device if you're going to use it for multi-room operations, but the need for a real Ethernet or MoCA connection makes it just a bit harder to configure.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #1887 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

I noticed similar sounds when I first purchased my Moxi several months ago. I submitted a ticket, but the response was this is normal. I describe it as the read/write clicking of the hard drive. I have found the Moxi is overall quieter than other DVR's especially fan noise, but this makes noises from hard drive more evident. The sound also seems to resonate within the metal case. As an experiment I placed a small hand cloth on top of the unit and the clicking sounds were greatly diminished. It is true the Moxi is always buffering so there is no way to stop the hard drive. My Moxi has been running strong for over 7 months so I do not believe this is evident of a bad drive. If you do end up getting a different box I would be interested to know if it is quieter.

Has anybody tried tuning the Moxi to an unsubscribed channel or a VOD channel to see if it stops the HDD from buffering?
post #1888 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

BobSmith, just to repeat: I am using Cox cable, Orange County. Since they only offer single-stream CableCards, I have been happily using Moxi just off the ClearQAM stations.

I talked with my Cox technical contact today. He was under the impression that all Southern California Cox divisions were using M-cards almost exclusively. He couldn't think of a Cox division NOT using them. He suggested that you leave technical help email for the Cox in your area, since the first level phone personnel are basically clueless about such things.

https://www.cox.com/support/ocpv/emailchat/emailus.asp

Good luck!
post #1889 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The Moxi does not turn off, there is no power button.

First time (potential) DVR user here.
My plan was to buy my own DVR- fill it up with content, and then remove it from the cable-chained system, and put it in a 'closed' HT system elsewhere and use it to just serve the content that is already on it.
Since I'll be unplugging it and swapping it in/out frequently, it sounds like the Moxie might not be a good candidate for how I wan to use it?
post #1890 of 6410 Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

First time (potential) DVR user here.
My plan was to buy my own DVR- fill it up with content, and then remove it from the cable-chained system, and put it in a 'closed' HT system elsewhere and use it to just serve the content that is already on it.

That's completely wasting the main function of a DVR which is time-shifting recordings and live viewing. You would be better with a WMC7 setup or a dedicated media server.

Reply HDTV Recorders