5Likes

post #1891 of 6304 Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
That's completely wasting the main function of a DVR which is time-shifting recordings and live viewing. You would be better with a WMC7 setup or a dedicated media server.

I just read a post in the Tivo Premiere thread from someone comparing contrasting using an HTPC vs the Tivo.
High on my list of priorities would be plug and play efficiency.

I'm a Mac user- never fooled with PC's. I would have to get up to speed on even the most basic facets of Windows.

I'm not familiar with dedicated media servers but will start researching. I thought that was just a generic term for modified HTPCs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6304 Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

I'm a Mac user- never fooled with PC's. I would have to get up to speed on even the most basic facets of Windows.

I'm not familiar with dedicated media servers but will start researching. I thought that was just a generic term for modified HTPCs.

Media servers are drives designed to do nothing but hold media (music/video/images) and send it to whatever device requests it. It sits on it's own on the network waiting to be called into action. It can be as simple as a hard drive or as complex as having it's own file sharing OS.

If a Moxi isn't plugged in to a live TV feed, there is little point in having it.

Why disconnect it from the coax to begin with? Why not just leave it plugged in and throw a Mate in your other location?

Buy a Mac Mini or Dell Zino and throw this on it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/

post #1893 of 6304 Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post

"How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD."

Of course the page also has the legal disclaimer "not available in all markets..." What do you think the chances are I'm in one of those select markets?
post #1894 of 6304 Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

First time (potential) DVR user here.
My plan was to buy my own DVR- fill it up with content, and then remove it from the cable-chained system, and put it in a 'closed' HT system elsewhere and use it to just serve the content that is already on it.
Since I'll be unplugging it and swapping it in/out frequently, it sounds like the Moxie might not be a good candidate for how I wan to use it?

the Moxi + Mate is the perfect fit for you.
using it as a portable media player is, uhhhhhh, not the greatest idea I've heard....

hang on, are you referring to an HT system that's in a different geographic location? As in, a different residence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Has anybody tried tuning the Moxi to an unsubscribed channel or a VOD channel to see if it stops the HDD from buffering?

Pretty certain it does not stop...... however, my Mates wig out if I hit a VOD from them..... they lose the ability to tune back to some authorized channels for a couple of minutes (seems like forever, of course)

Moxi = sliced bread
post #1895 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

Besides, I got the TiVo HD XL plus Wi-Fi adapter

Yes, the Moxi HD is a great device ..., but the need for a real Ethernet or MoCA connection makes it just a bit harder to configure.

What's the difference with the TiVo Wi-Fi adaptor and a ethernet bridge other than one plugs into a USB port and one plugs into the ethernet port?

Just asking?
post #1896 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Moxi probably will not officially endorse wireless since you need a lot of bandwidth for streaming HD. It would open up a can of worms if someone tries to use 802.11X series and they have video streaming quality issues to the Moxi Miate. Especially if you live in a apartment building with a lot of other WiFi routers

Good luck with your purchase!

An N adapter in a Moxi would more than suffice for HD streaming. I have a pal who does a LOT of Netflix streaming and G is quite fine. Keep in mind that ANY streaming service will NOT run big bit rate video, I actually saw somewhere where a service ran their HD streams well under 10 Mb/s.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #1897 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post

What's the difference with the TiVo Wi-Fi adaptor and a ethernet bridge other than one plugs into a USB port and one plugs into the ethernet port?

Just asking?

No real difference--both do the same thing. But the TiVi adapter only works with a TiVo and a bridge will work with anything.
post #1898 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

An N adapter in a Moxi would more than suffice for HD streaming. I have a pal who does a LOT of Netflix streaming and G is quite fine. Keep in mind that ANY streaming service will NOT run big bit rate video, I actually saw somewhere where a service ran their HD streams well under 10 Mb/s.

I think the value of the Moxi is that it does not downrez the video at all compared to streaming services.
post #1899 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Just asking?

The TiVo Wi-Fi adapter is primarily used to update program information from (I believe) Tribune Media Services' Zap2It service and to download TiVo software updates.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #1900 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Hooked up my Moxi Mate yesterday using MoCA adapters and everything is working wonderfully. I am saving in hard money $60 per month so my break even for this investment (Moxi DVR, Moxi Mate, MoCA adapters) is about 16 months. Add in all the wonderful features and lack of hassles to value at say $20 per month, and it makes sense to turn in the Cable Company DVRs pronto. Better picture too!
post #1901 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Just asking?

Buy a Bridge AP on eBay for cheap and be done with it. But if you want to use a Moxi Mate too then you should go wired CATA5/6, MoCA, or PowerLine. Moxi, no looking back.
post #1902 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and got the 3-tuner Moxi. Comcast was here yesterday to do the CableCard install and the only problem was the interminable wait on hold that the tech had to put up with!

After several hours testing out the Moxi, I like it very much. I have run into one tiny problem though; I had to reposition the box in my A/V stand, which required me to disconnect all the cables and reboot once it was in its new spot. The reboot went fine, but now I can no longer hear the sound effects when I push a button (I could hear them before I disconnected). I have double-checked that Sound Effects are indeed selected and not on Mute.

A very minor nitpick to be sure, but my wife likes the sounds to confirm button pushes. Any ideas?
post #1903 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are all HD outputs active all the time?
If I have one TV using HDMI, is the Component also active at the same time?
post #1904 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I have double-checked that Sound Effects are indeed selected and not on Mute.

If you set the audio output to Dolby Digital the button sounds get muted. I don't really know why, but if you look in the audio settings it mentions that. I don't like the sounds so it doesn't bother me, but I think they only play when the unit outputs plain stereo.

Dave
post #1905 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Dave:

I looked through the user guide and it does not mention this. I DO know that what you described was true for TiVo. Bu t I could have sworn I had it set for Dolby Digital output originally and still got the sounds.
post #1906 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 12:25 PM

I just purchased the moxi hd 2moxi mate bundle. I have a basic question.... I hate seeing all the channels in the guide that i never watch. If I block a channel, can I "expell it form the guide as if it doesn't exist!

Also, I suspect Moxi will be working on a solution to watch amazon vod and netflix etc without a linked playon media server window pc, any info on this?

pandora? blockbuster vod?
post #1907 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I looked through the user guide and it does not mention this

like I said it's in the audio settings. You will still hear the sounds occasionally when you're outputting plain stereo, I hear them every once in a while but most things I watch have digital sound I guess.
Dave
post #1908 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Dave:

You are right . . I found it. I am glad to know that this is the normal operation of the Moxi and that something had not been screwed up.
post #1909 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maevejr View Post

I just purchased the moxi hd 2moxi mate bundle. I have a basic question.... I hate seeing all the channels in the guide that i never watch. If I block a channel, can I "expell it form the guide as if it doesn't exist!

Also, I suspect Moxi will be working on a solution to watch amazon vod and netflix etc without a linked playon media server window pc, any info on this?

pandora? blockbuster vod?

maevejr,

You can modify the channel list to hide any channels you do not want to see.

Hit the Moxi button. Scroll to Settings.

Go to Channel Lists. Uncheck any shows you do not want to see.

As for Amazon VOD, Netflix, and other things without PlayON. It is probably be in works but no official confirmation.
post #1910 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to all who responded earlier.

Quote:

"Media servers are drives designed to do nothing but hold media (music/video/images) and send it to whatever device requests it. It sits on it's own on the network waiting to be called into action. It can be as simple as a hard drive or as complex as having it's own file sharing OS.

If a Moxi isn't plugged in to a live TV feed, there is little point in having it.

From my perspective there would still be several points to going this route (assuming it worked).
For one thing, I want to limit power consumption in my HT. A DVR pre-filled with content seemed to me to provide a relatively inexpensive one-box solution. I was hoping to use it in place of , say, the region free dvd player in my chain. One outlet, one HDMI and audio coax out, and that's it.

Quote:

Why disconnect it from the coax to begin with? Why not just leave it plugged in and throw a Mate in your other location?

I'm not the one that has the cable sub, and I'm trying to avoid getting it installed for just the few movies I want (but badly) on one or two cable channels.
I'm not a "TV" watcher/channel surfer So I'm trying to avoid cable/sat altogether. If even the most basic form of DVR use necessitates having to get a cable subscription, then I will have to investigate another alternative.

Quote:

Buy a Mac Mini or Dell Zino and throw this on it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/"

I like the Mac Mini, and have thought since I got one last year that it seems to be an ok desktop computer but a kick ass (though modest) media server (at least for basic dvd files, mp3's etc). However this would need to be integrated into someone elses chain, someone who is only plug and play. I'll look into it, but it seems like this solution would involve more hardware/software- meaning potential , compatibility issues- as well as being a pita to the person I'm infringing upon.

Quote:

the Moxi + Mate is the perfect fit for you.
using it as a portable media player is, uhhhhhh, not the greatest idea I've heard....

My intention was to make this only semi-portable. If necessary, I would wait until the capacity was entirely full before I removed it from the one chain and put in more or less permanently in another. My intention was to fill it up with content (Movies) that I would want to own as library titles. Not watched once or twice and then deleted.

Quote:

hang on, are you referring to an HT system that's in a different geographic location? As in, a different residence?

yes. That's why the Moxie + mate won't be necessary.

I don't even know if this will fly at all- or if it is even worth the trouble of finding out. I did a test recording of a movie yesterday and then brought the unit over and hooked it up to my pj and receiver. This was the cable company issued SA 3800HD. Upon booting up, it said advanced menu function was unavailable at this time- I'm assuming because there was no cable service coming into the unit- so it sat there with a black screen an I was unable to access the recording. If they all work this way (no function whatsoever unless a signal is incoming) then I'm SOL.
If the TiVo can still provide access to the recorded content with just a phone line connection, then I may be able to still use that as a solution.

The question then becomes- is this all worth it. When I returned the unit back to the owner, I watched a bit of what was recorded. Network bug plastered in the corner, and a pop-up advertising something else all within the first few minutes. I hear HDNET Movies is better (this was MGM HD), but the service here doesn't provide it. I'm a movie buff, and there are quite a few titles on MGM HD that would not only be great to get in HD (even lower bandwith HD), but haven't even been offered on DVD or were only available in laserdisc era transfers. Certainly enough content to stimulate this idea in the first place. But I may just be trading one form of frustration (watching a non anamorphic transer) for another (an HD one riddled with network bugs and compression artifacts).
Six of one, half dozen of another I suppose.
post #1911 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
KzY

I just gave my TWC DVR the boot and got myself a Moxi HD DVR. I have to say that TV-wise it's the best decision I've ever made. It's miles better than TWC's DVR. I'm very happy with it.

The only question I have and the only slight annoyance that I've found is the lack of a quick aspect ratio change button. Unless, of course, I've missed it. With TWC's box I could hit the "#" key and go from normal to zoomed to stretched. Does anyone know (besides going into the settings menu) if there is a way to do this with the Moxi? Thanks.
post #1912 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzY View Post

Does anyone know (besides going into the settings menu) if there is a way to do this with the Moxi? Thanks.

There isn't.

post #1913 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzY View Post

I just gave my TWC DVR the boot and got myself a Moxi HD DVR. I have to say that TV-wise it's the best decision I've ever made. It's miles better than TWC's DVR. I'm very happy with it.

The only question I have and the only slight annoyance that I've found is the lack of a quick aspect ratio change button. Unless, of course, I've missed it. With TWC's box I could hit the "#" key and go from normal to zoomed to stretched. Does anyone know (besides going into the settings menu) if there is a way to do this with the Moxi? Thanks.

KzY,
I have been looking into getting the Moxi HD DVR for a few weeks now and I see your located in Raleigh, NC. I'm in Greensboro, NC and I was wondering whether you got the three or two tuner model? The reason why I ask is because I was wondering if you could record three streams at the same time or does the SDV adapter support only two streams? Thanks.
post #1914 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

Buy a Bridge AP on eBay for cheap and be done with it. But if you want to use a Moxi Mate too then you should go wired CATA5/6, MoCA, or PowerLine. Moxi, no looking back.

Thanks I'm good to go when the Moxi & Mates arrive.
My whole house is wired, I have a Netgear GS724T Prosafe 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch to manage the Cat6 connections and a Netgear RangeMax Dualband Wireless-N 4 port Gigabit Router to handle my touchscreens, laptops and cell phones. I also run a 17TB Windows Home Server to back everything up and serve media.

My question to RayChuang was around what about the Tivo Wifi makes it better/easier than a bridge? Seems the answer is nothing.
post #1915 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naburleson View Post

KzY,
does the SDV adapter support only two streams? Thanks.

Two only.

post #1916 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Are all HD outputs active all the time?
If I have one TV using HDMI, is the Component also active at the same time?

I have the same question. I pm'ed the moxi guy and emailed moxi and didn't get a response to either. Does anyone know?
post #1917 of 6304 Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

If you set the audio output to Dolby Digital the button sounds get muted. I don't really know why, but if you look in the audio settings it mentions that. I don't like the sounds so it doesn't bother me, but I think they only play when the unit outputs plain stereo.

Dave

The button sounds are inserted into stereo audio stream. I read somewhere (for Tivo, but should apply to Moxi as well) that the chip does not have the capability to alter Dolby Digital audio stream, so no sound insertion there.
post #1918 of 6304 Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Two only.

Man, that sucks, but I guess it's only the SDV adapter that is a limiting factor as the CableCard can support over three streams? How was the install process when TWC came to your home, long process or did they get it working right away? Thanks.
post #1919 of 6304 Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naburleson View Post

Man, that sucks, but I guess it's only the SDV adapter that is a limiting factor as the CableCard can support over three streams? How was the install process when TWC came to your home, long process or did they get it working right away? Thanks.

TWC NYC, Manhattan North Head End: ~20 minutes. TWC supervisor stopped by an hour later because he heard that I had this "weird, new" box.
post #1920 of 6304 Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Paulidan,

Sounds like you really want a "media streamer" with a hard drive. Have you considered this? (to be clear, a streamer, not a server)

I've got an Xtreamer HD, and while a little raw in interface and remote functionality, it accepts a hard drive, will play back virtually any audio and video format, is very cheap, and is physically tiny.

There are a number of similar products popular in Europe and available here from the gray market.

Everything you're saying points to this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page