Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #2071 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
IMHO, just because I'm used to the TiVo, good UI design is the concept that the user usually knows what will happen when doing something within the UI, in this case pushing a button on the remote control. I don't have a Moxi yet, so I'm not sure what buttons are on the control but if there's already a List button for shows, then take it out of the Moxi button behavior. I feel the Moxi button should either be set to bring up 1 thing all the time, used as a "back" button consistently, or maybe bring up a small "quick" menu of sorts with numbers to jump to get to the most used functions. Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

IMHO, just because I'm used to the TiVo, good UI design is the concept that the user usually knows what will happen when doing something within the UI, in this case pushing a button on the remote control. I don't have a Moxi yet, so I'm not sure what buttons are on the control but if there's already a List button for shows, then take it out of the Moxi button behavior. I feel the Moxi button should either be set to bring up 1 thing all the time, used as a "back" button consistently, or maybe bring up a small "quick" menu of sorts with numbers to jump to get to the most used functions. Just my two cents.

Absolutely. Consistency and user predictability are core tenets of UI design and right now the Moxi remote doesn't conform. I was reminded of this today when I was deep in a submenu hierarchy and had to push BACK to get to the main menu, but upon hitting the main menu the BACK button loses all functionality and then you have to press the MOXI button to go "back" to the channel list. That's having to use two buttons to perform the same task.

And if anyone is curious about the original Emmy Moxi won, it was back in 2004 for Best TV User Interface Design. At the time it was a big step up in comparison to other cableco interfaces. It even predates the very similar dual-axis navigation of the Sony XMB - which also won an Emmy.

The Moxi interface has changed somewhat since then (for the better) and there's no reason it shouldn't continue to do so.

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...2458742&EDATE=

post #2073 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies for going OT.
Does anyone know if Comcast utilizes SDV, specifically in the Kansas City market?

I've tried Comcast support (just as bad as TWC) without success, and have also tried the KC thread without luck.

I previously posted a semi-rant about TWC and the Cisco TA's. I found out that the house my wife and I are offering on actually gets cable service from Comcast instead of TWC.

A huge plus if they don't use SDV.

Moxi is looking like it could be a viable option for us if the deal happens.

Now I've really gotta learn about home networking.

Thanks for any help/info you can pass on.

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #2074 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm with TW skid, but what I did before I bought my Moxi was call TW technical support and I got a guy who knew pretty much about cable cards and tuning adapters. He told me that we get all Motorola here and that SDV was being rolled out gradually which was good news. I'd call and ask for someone who knows cable cards.
Dave
post #2075 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

I appreciate the time and help Dave.
Gonna give Comcast tech support another try.

Skid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

I'm with TW skid, but what I did before I bought my Moxi was call TW technical support and I got a guy who knew pretty much about cable cards and tuning adapters. He told me that we get all Motorola here and that SDV was being rolled out gradually which was good news. I'd call and ask for someone who knows cable cards.
Dave

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #2076 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
By far the best DVR remote I have ever used, and very ergonomic. Notice the buttons Guide, Menu, Info, List. PS. it also has codes for an Onko receiver.
Scientific Atlanta AT8400 Remote Control

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2077 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Well, we've never had a Tivo, but like I said, my wife and daughter find the Moxi a piece of cake to use. I don't see how pressing the Moxi button, then the right or left cursor could be called a lot of "effort".

It's the fact that there are at least 2 ways to do everything (that are non-obvious to a newcomer) that becomes confusing to non-technical people. Non-technical people like a standard "script" that is consistent and non-changing. Deviation from said script causes frustration unless they are willing to put in enough time to make it 2nd nature. My wife is not one of those people when it comes to technology...either it "just works" intuitively or she doesn't use it.

Quote:

Why don't you ask her to try it? Like I said, I'll bet she'll like it fine. Probably easier getting your wife to learn it than getting Moxi to change the UI to suit her, don't you think?

Dave

I have. She doesn't like it. Actually, she hates it...and if it had been her doing the shopping and test-driving DVR's we would have never have ended up with a Moxi at all (and that should be a wakeup call to the Moxi crew if they want to gain the "for dummies" Tivo refugee market). If it wasn't for the far-inferior multi-room dvr sharing that Tivo employs that I'm looking for Moxi to solve, she woudn't have even let me get this "test" unit in the door and would have instead insisted on getting another Tivo since it's easy and famiilar. That's why I'm getting the Harmony remote as a work-around. If Moxi had designed the functionality of the Moxi button with a little more thought towards the non-gizmo inclined (there are times to be different, and others were conformity is a virtue), we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But in any case, I'm pretty confident that I can set up a Harmony in such a way to gloss over the brain-dead Moxi remote issues and win valuable WAF points.

And once again...a simple menu selection to choose the behavior of that infamous button would go a LOOOONG way towards solving a lot of these issues before they became problems for people. Or maybe mapping a double-tap of the Moxi button to a custom location. Whatever...but how it is now is overly confusing to the novice and is not helping Moxi win converts. I haven't seen *anybody* on this forum say that one of the driving reasons they bought the Moxi was for the complicated button mapping and functionality of the remote (though I hear all the time people raving about the simplicity and brain-dead-simple operation of Tivo). At best, people have learned to live with it. Not exactly a overwhelming display of enthusiasm for the status quo, don't you think?
post #2078 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ouch!!!
You may want to edit that statement. A bit chauvinistic?
Quote:

I mean, sure, women don't get these things easily, but you need to compare apples to apples. If she knows how to use a DVR, I'll bet she'll like the Moxi.

Dave

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2079 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was pretty set on a Moxi, but this button issue has me VERY concerned.
How the heck can it be that difficult to pull up simple things like recorded shows or channel guide?
post #2080 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

It's a button. If it's enough to put you off buying something then you don't really want it to begin with.

You'll either live with it or it might be adjusted. Either way is better than the alternatives you likely have to choose from. A more expensive TiVo or a basic cable box DVR.

And as I've pointed out before, there is already a dedicated button for recordings.

post #2081 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Feb 19. I received my first three-tuner Moxi.

I am on my third three-tuner Moxi since then. (The two before my third one had bad hard drives. And after they crashed, I lost recorded programs. They just vanished after the 10 to 15-minute reboot.)

I received my third three-tuner Moxi on March 10.

Tonight, my third three-tuner Moxi is starting to exhibit problems. And that is freezing up. The picture freezes and parts of the recorded program are skipped over after about 5 seconds, with pixelation in there, of course.

So far, it has done it during two separate recorded programs on different stations and one cached program I rewound to its beginning.

I know that there are people on this forum who have received three-tuner Moxi's that have not exhibited problems, but for me to have received three now is really disturbing. (I owned a two-tuner Moxi since late October that never had an issue. I sold it and got a three-tuner instead. I am really regretting that I did that.)

And I read Dicksmile's posting from earlier that he or she also is exchanging his Moxi.

I have no choice but to keep rebooting my third three-tuner Moxi and hope that whatever issue is going on doesn't get worse. (Or I'll be sending it back for a fourth three-tuner Moxi.

All the talk on this forum about the Moxi button frustrates me because I would just love to get a Moxi that works. I'd gladly accept the confusing Moxi button if I could just get a Moxi that won't exhibit hard drive issues.
post #2082 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

How the heck can it be that difficult to pull up simple things like recorded shows or channel guide?

don't be concerned.

I'm an owner who has expressed dislike of the central navigation button of the remote, but it's by no means hard to operate. It's just inconsistent and should be better. I'm hoping the Moxi powers-that-be will decide to implement a very simple change to make it better.

For my use, the Moxi is the best device available... by a mile. It's far superior to the several CC provided STB's/DVR's that I've had, and possesses features not available in the Tivo.

Buy it and enjoy....... than come back and tell us what you think of the "Moxi Button"
post #2083 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Hey all,

I WISH I could complain about my moxi button when using my slingbox, but I can't seem to get the unit to respond to any remote signals sent by the slingbox IR blaster.

Has anyone here gotten a 3-tuner moxi working with a gen 1 (with component cable addon) slingbox?

I have tried moving the IR blaster to the middel of the front of the moxi, as well as to the far left and far right, but it never responds to any commands. I do get video and audio just fine. Is there some other device in the slingbox setup wizard that I can choose for it to send the correct signals?

thanks!
post #2084 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayers5 View Post

Hey all,

I WISH I could complain about my moxi button when using my slingbox, but I can't seem to get the unit to respond to any remote signals sent by the slingbox IR blaster.

Has anyone here gotten a 3-tuner moxi working with a gen 1 (with component cable addon) slingbox?

I have tried moving the IR blaster to the middel of the front of the moxi, as well as to the far left and far right, but it never responds to any commands. I do get video and audio just fine. Is there some other device in the slingbox setup wizard that I can choose for it to send the correct signals?

thanks!

On a somewhat related note. Hey Moxi Guy! What's the likelihood of getting the Moxi to stream out across the gateway? This would remove the need for a Slingbox. Seems like a gimme.
post #2085 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

On a somewhat related note. Hey Moxi Guy! What's the likelihood of getting the Moxi to stream out across the gateway? This would remove the need for a Slingbox. Seems like a gimme.

This would be the one future that I would love to see. Unfortunately I don't think the Cable Co. would ever let that happen. Even with the ability to do it with two different boxes they want to make being to do this as difficult as possible.
post #2086 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

I hate to stick my foot in my mouth, but the Moxi doesn't even stream on the local network much less out the 'net, right? Or am I wrong and just overlooking a very simple and cool capability?
post #2087 of 6390 Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTheD View Post

I hate to stick my foot in my mouth, but the Moxi doesn't even stream on the local network much less out the 'net, right? Or am I wrong and just overlooking a very simple and cool capability?

That's correct.

The Moxi does not have the hardware to stream at a reduced bitrate over the Internet. In the future, it could stream to other DLNA devices on the home network that support DTCP-IP.
post #2088 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 AM

well then I think it's safe to say that there will never be any DLNA server function since that could discourage sales of the Mates
post #2089 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That's correct.

The Moxi does not have the hardware to stream at a reduced bitrate over the Internet. In the future, it could stream to other DLNA devices on the home network that support DTCP-IP.

it would be great if the created a "Mate application" for the PC's in your network. I would love to open a window on the computer monitor screen to track a game while I'm working on other tihings. You would think this would be easily accomplished; although probably not high on their priorities list.

In reference to othe discussions above; I have added external 1.5 TB and 2 TB drives to my Moxis without difficulty using drives and the aluminum eSATA enclosure mentioned earlier in this thread. It was as easy as falling off a dock. Also have no complaints about my Harmony remotes. Work great with the Moxi

Flyer57
Scottsdale, AZ
post #2090 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoxiGuy View Post

6. For the most part, the Moxi uses the internal hard drive until it is filled up, then moves to the external hard drive. In some scenarios, Moxi might record to the external hard drive before the internal is completely filled, but for the most part this is true.

If this is true, how do you know if your new external drive is working properly? It would appear that there's no way to tell until you've filled up the internal drive.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #2091 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:

If this is true, how do you know if your new external drive is working properly?

When you plug it in the Moxi detects it and will format it. Then you can see it listed in the setings menu.

I would think, if you get an esata drive to install correctly it's working properly. But like any product, I suppose you don't know for sure until you start using it. But if you're not filling up your main drive why would you buy an external one?

Dave
post #2092 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

By far the best DVR remote I have ever used, and very ergonomic. Notice the buttons Guide, Menu, Info, List. PS. it also has codes for an Onko receiver.

If this is the remote for the Moxi then I will pass. I had a cable co. Motorola Moxi with a different remote that was fairly simple to use but when it died they gave me a non-Moxi DVR that has this remote and the small, same sized button dvr controls are a f**king pain to use. About half the time I hit "live" which is just above the FF. I've used this since Nov. but when tivo premiere hits next month, this thing is going back.
post #2093 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:

If this is the remote for the Moxi then I will pass.

................It's not, it says it's a scientific Atlanta remote. Can't you see there's no Moxi button
post #2094 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would think, if you get an esata drive to install correctly it's working properly.

That is definitely not true. One of the common problems with external drives on dvrs is that they glitch and pixelate often.

Quote:

But if you're not filling up your main drive why would you buy an external one?

You wouldn't. But it takes a while to get there. You could have a device that's been working fine for weeks and then suddenly start messing up as it transitions to the external drive.

The SA8300HD uses the drive that has the highest percentage of space available. Because of that, you know right away if the drive is going to work for you or not. With the Moxi, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #2095 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:

The SA8300HD uses the drive that has the highest percentage of space available. Because of that, you know right away if the drive is going to work for you or not. With the Moxi, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

Um yeah, when you actually use the drive you'll find out how well it works. Like I said, wouldn't you assume you're going to use the drive before it's warranty expires? I bought mine because the moxi drive was filling up.

Personally, I like the way the Moxi does it. Should my external ever fail, I'll still have the first 500gb available. With the SA as you describe it you'd be SOL

Dave
post #2096 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

That is definitely not true. One of the common problems with external drives on dvrs is that they glitch and pixelate often.

There COULD be other factors... I've seen a god awful amount of that, oddly enough it seems to go in cycles, a couple of weeks being very bad, a few weeks I rarely see it.

No external drive at all.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #2097 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer57 View Post

it would be great if the created a "Mate application" for the PC's in your network. I would love to open a window on the computer monitor screen to track a game while I'm working on other tihings. You would think this would be easily accomplished; although probably not high on their priorities list.

Yes, that would nice. I'd just like to see Moxi build out their feature set. It would make the product more compelling..., notwithstanding the Moxi button. I'm just not sure that as it stands it has much of a chance garnering market share. That said, they got my $900 months ago with little regret I might add.

JF
post #2098 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

This would be the one future that I would love to see. Unfortunately I don't think the Cable Co. would ever let that happen. Even with the ability to do it with two different boxes they want to make being to do this as difficult as possible.

With 4 tuner CableCARD PCI-X adapters readily available there's nothing preventing anyone from building a box that has a compelling set of features including streaming/time shifting to the Net. What would be lacking is the sweet Moxi GUI. I don't think Cable Co's really have anything to say whether they like it or not. Nor do I think HTPCs are a flash in the pan. With the FCC's Broadband initiative standing firmly behind CableCARD technology and seemingly coaxing the Cable Co's to offer SDV control via IP, I think CableCARD devices have a solid future. I have two OPPO disk players. I bet if OPPO came out with a STB it would have a feature set that would be extremely attractive at a very favorable price point.

JF
post #2099 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM

I am thinking about getting a moxi hd two tuner box to replace my cablevision(long island, ny) dvr.

I have several questions for anyone ---

1. Can i use a Belkin 85 Mbps Powerline Turbo Kit (85Mbps ) (two powerline adapters) from my computer in the bedroom to the family room at the other end of the house(different circuit) to connect to the internet. If so, is 85Mbps fast enough, or should I go for the more expensive 200 Mbps units?

or
2. Would a ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N Access Point / Ethernet Bridge work instead of the powerline bridge?

Which do you think would do a better job.

Thanks for your input!!!
post #2100 of 6390 Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelter View Post

I am thinking about getting a moxi hd two tuner box to replace my cablevision(long island, ny) dvr.

I have several questions for anyone ---

1. Can i use a Belkin 85 Mbps Powerline Turbo Kit (85Mbps ) (two powerline adapters) from my computer in the bedroom to the family room at the other end of the house(different circuit) to connect to the internet. If so, is 85Mbps fast enough, or should I go for the more expensive 200 Mbps units?

or
2. Would a ZyXEL WAP3205 Wireless N Access Point / Ethernet Bridge work instead of the powerline bridge?

Which do you think would do a better job.

Thanks for your input!!!

I would go with the Powerline Turbo Kit.

However, if you have the option of going Moca, I would go Moca. They cost more but they work quite well.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page