Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2101 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast Tech Support:

If you are using one-way CableCARD equipment (other than a TiVo Series 3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL DVR)* and would like to continue receiving channels delivered by SDV, we can:

Option 1 - Replace your CableCARD device with a standard set-top box at no additional charge.

Option 2 - Replace your CableCARD with a high-definition (HD) set-top box at no additional charge for 12 months.

Option 3 - Replace your CableCARD with an HD-DVR set-top box for $9.95 per month for 12 months.

You may choose not to use a set-top box; however, will not have access to the channels that utilize the new SDV technology.

You will continue to receive the other services and channels without interruption.

Me:

So they work fine with Tivo? How many channels use SDV?

ComCast Tech Support:

Yes they do.

I just ordered 2-Moxi 3 tuner DVRs and setup an appointment for installation of 2-Mutli Stream CableCards. My question is Moxi does not show the SDV channels but Tivo's do? Why is that? Is the Tech Support wrong somewhere and why when I ordered the CableCards would they not tell me some of the channels would not work? I got the channel list and its pretty much all channels I don't get anyways (but like two) so I am not that upset, but I don't want to receive my Moxi's and not receive channels. Am I missing something?

Thanks for all your help! And Long Live the Moxi!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's a button. If it's enough to put you off buying something then you don't really want it to begin with.

You'll either live with it or it might be adjusted. Either way is better than the alternatives you likely have to choose from. A more expensive TiVo or a basic cable box DVR.

And as I've pointed out before, there is already a dedicated button for recordings.

Someone needs a little Xanax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTheD View Post

don't be concerned.

I'm an owner who has expressed dislike of the central navigation button of the remote, but it's by no means hard to operate. It's just inconsistent and should be better. I'm hoping the Moxi powers-that-be will decide to implement a very simple change to make it better.

For my use, the Moxi is the best device available... by a mile. It's far superior to the several CC provided STB's/DVR's that I've had, and possesses features not available in the Tivo.

Buy it and enjoy....... than come back and tell us what you think of the "Moxi Button"

Thanks for the reassurance. There's a LOT I like about the Moxi.
post #2103 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_1 View Post

My question is Moxi does not show the SDV channels but Tivo's do?

If you have an SDV tuning adapter Moxi will show the same channels that Tivo does when using a tuning adapter.

post #2104 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

By far the best DVR remote I have ever used, and very ergonomic. Notice the buttons Guide, Menu, Info, List. PS. it also has codes for an Onko receiver.
Scientific Atlanta AT8400 Remote Control

Scientific Atlanta AT8400 Remote Control

But where's the 30 second skip button?
post #2105 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post

But where's the 30 second skip button?

OK, You got me there. No there isn't a 30 second skip. I really wish there was. The SA/Cisco DVR's currently do not have that function anyway. I was mainly referring to the fact that there were Guide, Menu, Info and List buttons that were simple plain and single purpose, meaning they always had the same behavior regardles of where you were in the GUI. But also the overall layout, for me is the best I have used.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2106 of 6284 Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

And as I've pointed out before, there is already a dedicated button for recordings.

Where is the dedicated button for directly accessing recordings? I have been looking at the remote and documentation and I don't see it?

Never mind: MOXI LENS ICON
Jumps you to your Recorded TV folder. Pressing this button twice will jump you to the Grid Guide, if you have that option enabled.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2107 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 AM

This wireless bridge supposedly is designed for HD streaming: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127256

Anyone try it with Moxi?
post #2108 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelter View Post

...is 85Mbps fast enough, or should I go for the more expensive 200 Mbps units?

Wireless G is ~10Mb/s, N is ~40Mb/s, a BD disc runs ~45Mb/s. Based on what many have reported, cable HD tends to run in the 10-15Mb/s range.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #2109 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Where is the dedicated button for directly accessing recordings? I have been looking at the remote and documentation and I don't see it?

Never mind: MOXI LENS ICON
Jumps you to your Recorded TV folder. Pressing this button twice will jump you to the Grid Guide, if you have that option enabled.

Why wasn't this "double press" of the Lens Button to display Grid View implemented on the Moxi Mate?
post #2110 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

This wireless bridge supposedly is designed for HD streaming: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127256

Anyone try it with Moxi?

I have one of these attached to my Moxi dvr in our downstairs family room and another attached to a mate in an upstairs bedroom. Both are bridged to a D-Link DIR-825 wireless N router which is located upstairs in a room on the far end of our house from the bedroom but directly above the family room.

So far, I have had no issues with connectivity using this set-up for live HD or recorded content to the mate. I also have a PC that is hardwired to my router and can access content on it through both bridged dvr and mate without issue.

These are dual band units. In my setup, I am using the 5 GHz band for the bridges and use the 2.4 GHz band for my laptops to ensure that computers do not interfere with the multimedia access.

I also have a second mate hardwired to the router. All have worked to my satisfaction so far.

We rarely watch more than one mate and/or the dvr at the same time though so I cannot speak for how well it would function using both mates plus the dvr at once.
post #2111 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post

Why wasn't this "double press" of the Lens Button to display Grid View implemented on the Moxi Mate?

Why is it called a "lens" button. It looks like a tilted square.
post #2112 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelter View Post

Can i use a Belkin 85 Mbps Powerline Turbo Kit (85Mbps ) (two powerline adapters) from my computer in the bedroom to the family room at the other end of the house(different circuit) to connect to the internet. If so, is 85Mbps fast enough, or should I go for the more expensive 200 Mbps units?

I've had less than optimal experiences with Powerline adapters. In particular, I've seen a/c devices that can generate high frequency interference on the house copper that can disrupt data traffic - always at the worst time, of course As an example, I have a 18v Lithium Ion cordless tool battery charger that can bring a powerline network down in seconds. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'd stay away from it.
post #2113 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Don't rule out good old hardwired ethernet when considering options for your Mate. I see a lot of talk about wireless, powerline, MOCA, etc. I realize no one wants cables strung across the floor between rooms and up stairs. But if your creative and don't mind crawling up in the attic or through your crawlspace, you can get a nice clean in-wall installation. I hardwired my whole tri-level home with CAT6. I just used keystone jacks which don't require any special tools and are color coded for easy connection of the stranded pairs.
post #2114 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Don't rule out good old hardwired ethernet when considering options for your Mate. I see a lot of talk about wireless, powerline, MOCA, etc. I realize no one wants cables strung across the floor between rooms and up stairs. But if your creative and don't mind crawling up in the attic or through your crawlspace, you can get a nice clean in-wall installation. I hardwired my whole tri-level home with CAT6. I just used keystone jacks which don't require any special tools and are color coded for easy connection of the stranded pairs.

That was pretty close to what I did. I have a tri-level also and I was able to go through the ceiling in the basement (drop ceiling) and go up the main wall in the center of the house and get our basement, main level, and upstairs bedroom all with cat 5e. I ran 6 lines so I have 3 in our basement (entertainment area with 1 for the Moxi, 1 for the Blu-ray, and 1 for the PS3), 2 in our main level (1 for Moxi 1 for the computer), and 1 in our bedroom (for the Moxi Mate) I even have a little closet in our basement for the cable modem, wireless router, and the switch
post #2115 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

Anyone try it with Moxi?

I use six of these on my Network at home. None of my devices have any issues streaming BD ISos or PCs transferring at 150mbs+ speeds. The Moxi should be no different. With wired 100mbs devices(including TiVo), it works identically to plugging the device into a wired switch.

I like them so much I plan on buying several more and start removing wired devices from my gigabit network. I currently have over seventy devices on my network at home utilzing twelve of the Dlink gigabit switches plus the DAP1522 units. the more devices I can take off the wired network the better.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2116 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Wireless G is ~10Mb/s, N is ~40Mb/s, a BD disc runs ~45Mb/s. Based on what many have reported, cable HD tends to run in the 10-15Mb/s range.

802.11b is 10mbs not 802.11g. Also Wireless N easily goes over 150mbs+ speeds. On 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2117 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

802.11b is 10mbs not 802.11g. Also Wireless N easily goes over 150mbs+ speeds. On 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Without belaboring people with technospeak regarding the limitations of 802.11x technology, suffice it to say that rarely will real world implementation approach half the stated bit-rate. Take those numbers and divide by 2... and pray.
post #2118 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
KzY

Quote:

I use six of these on my Network at home. None of my devices have any issues streaming BD ISos or PCs transferring at 150mbs+ speeds. The Moxi should be no different. With wired 100mbs devices(including TiVo), it works identically to plugging the device into a wired switch.

I like them so much I plan on buying several more and start removing wired devices from my gigabit network. I currently have over seventy devices on my network at home utilzing twelve of the Dlink gigabit switches plus the DAP1522 units. the more devices I can take off the wired network the better.

Don't all those radio waves passing through your brain give you a headache?

Seriously though, that sounds like a good endorsement to go buy one. All I need is one. Can't run cable behind the walls of an apartment unfortunately.
post #2119 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Is there anyway to sort recorded shows by date?
Everything that I have read so far said there isn't, but I don't understand how this would not be a huge issue if it was true.

For me a DVR would be pretty much useless if I had to search thru 60 folders of shows just to find out what recorded last night.
Obviously I usually know what shows are on each night but once in a while shows change their nights (i.e. Survivor this week).

This is a deal-breaker for me, so is there a way to do this or am I just missing something?
If there is no easy way to tell what was recorded last night, how do other people deal with this?
post #2120 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post

Everything that I have read so far said there isn't, but I don't understand how this would not be a huge issue if it was true.

For me a DVR would be pretty much useless if I had to search thru 60 folders of shows just to find out what recorded last night.
Obviously I usually know what shows are on each night but once in a while shows change their nights (i.e. Survivor this week).

This is a deal-breaker for me, so is there a way to do this or am I just missing something?
If there is no easy way to tell what was recorded last night, how do other people deal with this?

Let's see, how about sorting by name? Call me foolish but I generally don't say to myself, "Oh, oh I gotta watch that 11:00 PM - 11:35 time slot or I'll die." You'll have to trust me on this one. The GUI especially when selecting recorded series events is very intuitive if not just plain sweet.

JF
post #2121 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post

That IS kinda wierd. I generally want to watch my oldest shows first.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #2122 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Let's see, how about sorting by name? Call me foolish but I generally don't say to myself, "Oh, oh I gotta watch that 11:00 PM - 11:35 time slot or I'll die." You'll have to trust me on this one. The GUI especially when selecting recorded series events is very intuitive if not just plain sweet.

JF

Obviously I don't need to watch a specific time slot, however I do record sometimes up to 8 hours of shows per day, and if I don't know what recorded that day, then I will probably end up missing some of the shows without realizing it.

Also I try to watch the shows in the order they were recorded so they don't get deleted before I get to watch them. How does sorting by name help to avoid this from happening?
post #2123 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Ideally, Moxi would offer both options like TiVo. TiVo's recorded list is setup in just the same way, but it lets the user choose whether they want to sort by name or date.

Television shows and movies aren't generally time sensitive, but most people like to watch their sports programs the same day they air. I have TiVo series recordings for the Washington Redskins, Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, UMD Sports, NCAA Tournament, NFL Playoffs, MLB ALCS+NLCS+WS, NHL Stanley Cup, Golf majors, Grand slams, etc. If recordings were listed only alphabetically, I would routinely miss new events. I could care less about an event shown a week ago.
post #2124 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM

Anybody else having problems with Fuse HD on FIOS? Starting last night, the video freezes and the audio continues. I connected the Moxi directly to my TV (Sony LCD) and it still happens - and now it happens every 10 minutes. Fuse HD is the only channel exhibiting this problem.
post #2125 of 6284 Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzY View Post

Seriously though, that sounds like a good endorsement to go buy one. All I need is one. Can't run cable behind the walls of an apartment unfortunately.

FYI SOLD OUT
Just saw the D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point for $64.99 + 2.99s/h with promo code EMCYPNP35 at Newegg: http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...ndex-_-E0-_-NB
"Only subscribers ca/n use the promo codes below, so subscribe now for free!"

post #2126 of 6284 Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a huge difference between specced speed and real world. I listed what is universally accepted as the real world speeds. Try streaming any video with a 10-12 Mb/s bit rate over the PS3's G connection and you'll see...

post #2127 of 6284 Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM

I use a dlink wireless dual n bridge connected to a netgear dual n router. I set my bridge up for 5ghz only and run my xbox360 the ps3 and my tivo (and now moxi) to it - no problems streaming from playon via moxi or ps3 and dl hd movies to the ps3...
post #2128 of 6284 Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groebuck View Post

I use a dlink wireless dual n bridge connected to a netgear dual n router. I set my bridge up for 5ghz only and run my xbox360 the ps3 and my tivo (and now moxi) to it - no problems streaming from playon via moxi or ps3 and dl hd movies to the ps3...

Interesting... lemme get this straight.. you go N to the bridge and hard wire that to the PS3?

post #2129 of 6284 Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM

yah the bridge is a 4 port box that sits behind my Flat screen - hardwire the ps3, xbox360 and moxi to it so they see it as 10/100 - the bridge connects to my dual band N on 5GHZ (i have turned 2.4 off on the bridge). I run playon from my I7 desktop upstairs and can stream hulu to my ps3 and/or moxi. I can dl HD movies, update my xbox of ps3. Below is the link to the bridge. It was a no brainer to set up and I have rebooted it maybe once in the year I have had it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k%20n%20bridge
post #2130 of 6284 Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Does anyone else have this issue? With Time Warner in NE Ohio - (Mentor/eastlake) I got the moxi and paired it up to my Cable card. Once I got the update to moxi and could set the default recording profile..I realized I was missing a bunch of channels. The tech at moxi was great and said the same thing..(odd that they are missing) then he realized that TWNEO was actually broadcasting them in analog. (For example I have BRAVO on 57 analog 209 digital and 1209 HD but I don't get the HD one just a black screen)...turns out the digital is also just a rebroadcast of the analog. Since Moxi is all digital I don't get the "digital" channels. Same thing goes for Travel Channel, MTV etc...

the whole thing is kind of a huge deal breaker for me since the Other half mostly shcedules off of bravo, mtv and travel... TWNEO is supposed to have everything running correct at the end of the month but that is dangerously close to my 30 day return for the moxi...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page