post #2161 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

On the surface the new UI design for TiVo looked pretty good, until that is you realize it's only on the surface and they never actually finished it. Dig down more than a couple of layers and it's still the same UI from a decade ago.

I can't believe they released it like that. Especially after all the hype.

It is an interesting dynamic at TivoCommunity. There are some who are really disappointed. and then there are those who said they will settle with the Premiere despite the drawbacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Yes you can have any mixture of Moxi and Moxi Mates. Keep in mind you will need to pair a Moxi Mate with a unique Moxi.

As for your setup.. 2 tuner and 3 tuner should play well together. You can stream from the 3 tuner to the 2 tuner and from the 2 tuner to the 3 tuner.

Thanks. Sounds good.

One more question, though. Any idea on whether Moxi will get native Netflix support (HD), not through play on?
post #2163 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm amazed that professionals who review Tivo products will mention an Xbox or a Asus media streamer by way of comparison (or criticism) but never, ever breathe a word about the Moxi.

Do they really have such low regard for it?
post #2164 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM

After having read the Engadget and Wired reviews of the TiVo Premiere, I am more pleased than ever to have upgraded my old Series 3 to a 3-tuner Moxi a couple of weeks ago. I have only had one minor glitch (it missed a couple of scheduled recordings), which an online rep helped me work out, and after the most recent software update, is now peppier than ever (as compared to the new TiVos, from what has been reported). I am about ready to order a Mate for my bedroom.
post #2165 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Thanks. Sounds good.

One more question, though. Any idea on whether Moxi will get native Netflix support (HD), not through play on?

Native Netflix support is on their to do list (mentioned by The Moxi Guy who is an employee of Moxi) but there has no indication off when we can expect to see this. Hopefully soon.
post #2166 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The Tivo Premiere got slammed by both Engadget and Gizmodo review.

I've got no horse in this race at the moment so, from what I consider an unbiased perspective, I wouldn't say that either review is a "slam". They both seem rather ambivalent, which given the hype isn't what one would expect, but it's likely not enough to drive people away from the Tivo either. I suspect many will just take a wait and see approach; if the multitasking / 2nd core issues get worked out, and if the UI get's fully realized the major complaints will go away and many potential Tivo users will expect both those to happen sooner or latter.

Personally, the ongoing Tivo fees still tip me away from the device, but if they nailed everything else I could see the wife pushing for the Tivo as soon as she see's it at some friends place (which will happen inevitably). So, at the moment it's wait and see all around. I want seamless multi-room scheduling and content access. The three main contenders are, the Moxi, the Tivo and a HTPC with the Ceton tuner. As things sit, I'm expecting the Ceton / HTPC solution to be the first to deliver what I want, but don't expect to make a buy decision until this fall and it has had time to prove itself. (IOW, Moxi, and it seems less likely Tivo, have 4 months to prove me wrong :-)
post #2167 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

The delay is simply on the mates. The 2 tuner and 3 tuner Moxi's are both in stock. So it is not a Hard Drive issue that is delaying shipment.

We placed our order for the 3HD unit + Mate on 3/5 and delivery is scheduled for tomorrow (we're in CT and they were shipped from NC).

This setup will be replacing one of our Sony DHG-HDD500 DVR's... great units but limited storage capacity and a TVGOS implementation from Hell (check the HDD250/500 thread and you'll see that TVGOS issues dominate the discussions).

It has shaped up to be a very good week: As an SXRD-XBR1 owner, Sony has sent a KDL55HX701 our way (to be delivered next Friday)... WooHoo!
post #2168 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:

It is an interesting dynamic at TivoCommunity. There is some who are really disappointed. and then there are those who said they will settle with the Premiere despite the drawbacks.

wow!
That's just plain fun reading over there.
It's like they're having a funeral for a out-of-favor friend. Crazy.

I like the "fake Moxi fanboy" thing they've got going. highly entertaining.
post #2169 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTheD View Post

wow!
That's just plain fun reading over there.
It's like they're having a funeral for a out-of-favor friend. Crazy.

I like the "fake Moxi fanboy" thing they've got going. highly entertaining.

I really do not blame the Tivo fanboys. They invested so much time and money with the Tivo, it is easy to understand their frustration and their anger with the Tivo Premiere especially the ones with more than 1,000 posts.
post #2170 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM

I was out of town for a few days and got back last night. I turned on the TV, and started to watch a previously recorded show.

The screen froze on the live TV program, and stop, pause, rewind, FF did not work. I could bring up the menu, but selecting anything on it would not unfreeze the picture.

I jumped on the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem. After about 10 minutes the recorded program started to play. It played for about 15 minutes and then froze again.

This DVR was a replacement for my original that crashed several times, losing all of my recorded programs. I was reluctant to reboot it, because that was how I lost all my shows the last time. It reformatted my drive.

While the show was playing I pressed stop, FF, Rew and nothing happened, and the progress bar was totally messed up. It had a huge number for the current time and the progress bar extended off the right side of the screen.
See the image below.

After the 2nd freeze I rebooted, and I'm happy to say the DVR is back to normal. I was able to see that it had not yet downloaded the latest update, so there might have been an issue with that. I tried to manually force the update but it didn't do it. It seemed to download the update, but then it didn't install it. I'll have to try again now that it was rebooted.

LL
post #2171 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I really do not blame the Tivo fanboys. They invested so much time and money with the Tivo, it is easy to understand their frustration and their anger with the Tivo Premiere especially the ones with more than 1,000 posts.

oh, I actually feel bad for them. really.
The day I have to spend emotional energy calling for the firing of my DVR companies CEO or Board of Directors is the day I really need to stop watching TV.

Life is far too short and precious.

But the reading is still good
post #2172 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM

I have both - I got the moxi to not have to pay the yearly fee. Here is an honest opinon of both -

Ease of use I would give to Tivo hands down. It just seems more logical doing a lot of things - series manager, recordings, my tivo - all logical easy to understand - the folder menu for more than one recordings and slightly hackable. I have in all honestly not had a lot of issues with my tivo and loved it way beyond my TWC HD DVR (SA 8300 HD)..

Moxi is definatley easier to the tech enabled - it has more information available to look at and get you up and running but - the same complaints other have I have - having to hit buttons two or three times to do simple things - a moxi button that does...different things depending on where your at - I am still struggling with getting it up and running with all my channels but that is really TWC NEO's fault not moxi. The interface is pretty and once I realized I can get out of any menus by going left or right (ugh two more key presses )...it was easier to navigate but. let me give you an example.

The default recording preferences - you would think would be in settings. No they are in the recording folder and only after you update your software...it has a 500 GB HD why on earth would it default to the minimum?? I was on IM with Moxi tech support for about 1/2 hour before they realized I needed a software update to even see it..and even he agreed wtih me that it should be much more simple.

The grid interface should be default - always - that up and down one with pop out bars is...just horrible.

but all that being said - the interface over all is awesome, once you learn how to swim with the sharks you can actually get around the menu and button pushes - and I am hoping it passes the wife test. Cuz if it don't I have to go back to tivo.... The oneline programming is awesome - makes up for the 90 key presses to do a series lol...
post #2173 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by groebuck View Post

The grid interface should be default - always - that up and down one with pop out bars is...just horrible.

I don't agree with that. Having used a grid guide with Passport and Navigator for ten years I didn't think I could live without it but now I never use it.

I only really need to see what's on right now and on the rare occasion I need to look ahead it's very easy to find subsequent airings with the show all times option. Finding new shows is simple with the keyword search and once I have my recording options set up the unit takes care of the management for me.

Recording options is in the logical place. It now deals with scheduled, canceled and management whereas before it was in two separate sections. Placing it in the settings menu - which is rarely accessed - would move it further away from the most traveled area of the menu. As it is recording options sits in the place where your recordings do and enables you to manage them from the same place.

post #2174 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I never use the grid guide. I use the list guide. Once you get use to it, you will get to like it quite a bit.
post #2175 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:

having to hit buttons two or three times to do simple things - a moxi button that does...different things depending on where your at ...

oh boy - there you go, getting the hackles up on that taboo subject

post #2176 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM

wow totally different opinion - I can't live without grid - I would like to see an option where you can turn off the menu that comes up after you select a channel - so I could default to going to the channel rather than having an additional menu come up asking if I want to watch it record it or series record it. The playon integration is another thing I loooove. The wife loved it when we could catch shows we missed via the ps3 - but she was afraid of it. If I can show her how to do it through moxi - I am home free,
post #2177 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wow totally different opinion - I can't live without grid - I would like to see an option where you can turn off the menu that comes up after you select a channel - so I could default to going to the channel rather than having an additional menu come up asking if I want to watch it record it or series record it.

Just hit play. You'll go straight there.

post #2178 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCastles View Post

I was out of town for a few days and got back last night. I turned on the TV, and started to watch a previously recorded show.

The screen froze on the live TV program, and stop, pause, rewind, FF did not work. I could bring up the menu, but selecting anything on it would not unfreeze the picture.

I jumped on the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem. After about 10 minutes the recorded program started to play. It played for about 15 minutes and then froze again.

This DVR was a replacement for my original that crashed several times, losing all of my recorded programs. I was reluctant to reboot it, because that was how I lost all my shows the last time. It reformatted my drive.

While the show was playing I pressed stop, FF, Rew and nothing happened, and the progress bar was totally messed up. It had a huge number for the current time and the progress bar extended off the right side of the screen.
See the image below.

After the 2nd freeze I rebooted, and I'm happy to say the DVR is back to normal. I was able to see that it had not yet downloaded the latest update, so there might have been an issue with that. I tried to manually force the update but it didn't do it. It seemed to download the update, but then it didn't install it. I'll have to try again now that it was rebooted.

I've been having consistent video freezes (the audio continues uninterrupted) on a particular channel (live tv), but nothing so far on recordings. I have about 6 tickets open with them right now for various issues.
post #2179 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Anyone know why my 30 second skip button on my Moxi remote takes me to my "recorded show screen"?

I am watching a recorded show and every time I press the skip button I go back to the recorded show screen.

I just got the Moxi up and running yesterday and I am sure the skip button worked OK yesterday.

Jim
post #2180 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimest View Post

Anyone know why my 30 second skip button on my Moxi remote takes me to my "recorded show screen"?

I am watching a recorded show and every time I press the skip button I go back to the recorded show screen.

I just got the Moxi up and running yesterday and I am sure the skip button worked OK yesterday.

Never encountered that, try resetting the remote. Press:

Moxi, OK, clear, clear, clear

post #2181 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubley View Post

I've been having consistent video freezes (the audio continues uninterrupted) on a particular channel (live tv), but nothing so far on recordings. I have about 6 tickets open with them right now for various issues.

Add me to the list of people that have been having video freezes. The audio continues uninterrupted. I am getting this on both Live TV and from recorded programs.
post #2182 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Add me to the list of people that have been having video freezes. The audio continues uninterrupted. I am getting this on both Live TV and from recorded programs.

What's your equipment setup? 3t or 2t? Mate? Ethernet? MoCA? External drive? Cableco?

post #2183 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

What frustration and anger? After reading the reviews I want the Premiere even more. And now I have eight on order. I haven't been this excited about a TiVo since the DirecTV HDTiVos I got in 2004.

The reviews have shown a good box with excellent future potential. And just like the current boxes, I will be able to transfer all my recordings to a PC for permanent storage, only several times faster..

That is one feature that makes TiVo a much better deal for me than Moxi.
Without the ability to transfer recordings to a PC for permanent storage on a BD or hard drive, a DVR is useless to me.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2184 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What frustration and anger? After reading the reviews I want the Premiere even more. And now I have eight on order. I haven't been this excited about a TiVo since the DirecTV HDTiVos I got in 2004.

The reviews have shown a good box with excellent future potential. And just like the current boxes, I will be able to transfer all my recordings to a PC for permanent storage, only several times faster.

But you are not representative of the entire community and the reviews may have shown a box with potential but the half finished UI, hardware that isn't available at release, poor software coding and performance - do not a "good box" make and every single review has brought those points up.

There are a huge number of TiVo users who are massively disappointed and underwhelmed. You know it, I know it and everyone who has been reading anything related to the Premiere does.

post #2185 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But you are not representative of the entire community and the reviews may have shown a box with potential but the half finished UI, hardware that isn't available at release, poor software coding and performance - do not a "good box" make and every single review has brought those points up.

Did you see this one.

Before the Premiere, Moxi had a significant advantage in terms of hardware capabilities. This made it possible for them to implement features TiVo could not with its TiVo HD hardware, such as robust multi-room streaming and a compelling high-definition interface.

The Premiere takes the hardware in the Moxi and upgrades it with a faster chip. This gives TiVo the ability to provide much of the same UI and multi-room functionality that Moxi does now. Being a newer chip, it can even do things the Moxi hardware can't (like 1080p DIVX playback). TiVo decided to do the HD UI first and then implement the rest later.

The "problem" is that TiVo's new HD UI isn't close to being done. Since they've already built the boxes, and can't effectively market a product with much faster hardware and no other new features, they decided to implement and deliver the new HD UI one piece at a time. The problem is the current beta version is very slow, in part because it does not make effective use of both cores, and in part because it still pulls all of the picture elements from Internet servers, on-the-fly, rather than caching them in memory or on the hard drive.

For those that are satisfied with the current TiVo "Classic" interface -- still an option -- the Premiere represents a major upgrade in performance in terms of video playback, video transfers, and multi-room transfers. TiVo should've taken advantage of the new hardware to implement DLNA and multi-room streaming for launch, with the promise of a HDUI later this year when it was done (or close to done). Of course, that's easy to say with 20/20 hindsight; when TiVo started prototyping the new interface a year ago, I'm sure they thought they'd have most of it done by now.
post #2186 of 6278 Old 03-25-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The "problem" is that TiVo's new HD UI isn't close to being done. Since they've already built the boxes, and can't effectively market a product with much faster hardware and no other new features, they decided to implement and deliver the new HD UI one piece at a time. The problem is the current beta version is very slow, in part because it does not make effective use of both cores, and in part because it still pulls all of the picture elements from Internet servers, on-the-fly, rather than caching them in memory or on the hard drive.

So that leaves them alienating two markets. Current TiVo owners looking to upgrade to a better unit and new users wanting to get away from the horrific cableco DVRs. Current TiVO owners have the advantage that they already have a box that works for them so they can wait, but for any new users migrating to TiVo they only have the first impression to work with. What TiVo may do later in the year to build out the rest of the new experience is not something new users will be aware of. All they will see is performance that's possibly worse than the unit they are trying to get away from and a GUI that suffers from being inconsistent and bouncing from one design to another.

It would have made more sense to me if they had kept the press event and delayed the release until it was complete. What are they trying to beat to market? Or is this just a quick push to get the unit out for the fiscal year?

post #2187 of 6278 Old 03-26-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_1 View Post

Comcast Tech Support:

If you are using one-way CableCARD equipment (other than a TiVo Series 3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL DVR)* and would like to continue receiving channels delivered by SDV, we can:

Option 1 - Replace your CableCARD device with a standard set-top box at no additional charge.

Option 2 - Replace your CableCARD with a high-definition (HD) set-top box at no additional charge for 12 months.

Option 3 - Replace your CableCARD with an HD-DVR set-top box for $9.95 per month for 12 months.

You may choose not to use a set-top box; however, will not have access to the channels that utilize the new SDV technology.

You will continue to receive the other services and channels without interruption.

Me:

So they work fine with Tivo? How many channels use SDV?

ComCast Tech Support:

Yes they do.

I just ordered 2-Moxi 3 tuner DVRs and setup an appointment for installation of 2-Mutli Stream CableCards. My question is Moxi does not show the SDV channels but Tivo's do? Why is that? Is the Tech Support wrong somewhere and why when I ordered the CableCards would they not tell me some of the channels would not work? I got the channel list and its pretty much all channels I don't get anyways (but like two) so I am not that upset, but I don't want to receive my Moxi's and not receive channels. Am I missing something?

Thanks for all your help! And Long Live the Moxi!!!

Hello Dan,

I would like to review your experience further with our customer service. Is it possible to send me your details please?

Thank you.

- George Lunski
- Comcast Corporate Office
- Comcast Customer Connect
- EMAIL @
- geore_lunski@cable.comcast.com
- AVSforums ScreenName @
- "ComcastGeorge"
post #2188 of 6278 Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 156
The other problem with the Premiere is that multi-room is still not streaming so users on copy-protected cable systems (TWC, Brighthouse, etc.) are still screwed.

I fail to understand why Tivo is shipping a nice hardware product with incomplete software, but we've seen this time after time in the CE industry.
post #2189 of 6278 Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

For those that are satisfied with the current TiVo "Classic" interface -- still an option -- the Premiere represents a major upgrade in performance in terms of video playback, video transfers, and multi-room transfers. TiVo should've taken advantage of the new hardware to implement DLNA and multi-room streaming for launch, with the promise of a HDUI later this year when it was done (or close to done). Of course, that's easy to say with 20/20 hindsight; when TiVo started prototyping the new interface a year ago, I'm sure they thought they'd have most of it done by now.

Great review bfdtv. It still surprises me that Tivo has gotten to this point with a half-baked HD UI. They've had years and years to get this done and now it looks like they're 'rushing' to get the full, new HD interface ready for final launch.

We also don't really know what their plans are for HD streaming (if any). Having the hardware capability and actually implementing it, are two different things. Unfortunately, Tivo has put prospective buyers in the position of guessing what the fully implemented Tivo will look like.

I would say to those looking for HD streaming potential, the Moxi is your better choice in that exists today. That may change down the road, but it remains a crap shoot.
post #2190 of 6278 Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

There are a huge number of TiVo users who are massively disappointed and underwhelmed. You know it, I know it and everyone who has been reading anything related to the Premiere does.

This works out to my advantage since I will be selling my nine S3 units. The more money I get from my S3 sales, the less out of pocket costs for my eight Premiere units.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page