post #2251 of 6304 Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecLem View Post

I am interested in buying a Moxi 3-Tuner with Moxi Mate and I have TimeWarner Cable. I heard that in certain areas TimeWarner offers Switched Digital Video and you need a Tuning Adapter.
So I called TW and the guy said my area does not have Switched Digital Video. However he told me that Moxi will not be working with TimeWarner anymore starting this Monday, March 29th, even with a Cable Card. I think he may be talking crap. If that is true than everybody who owns a Moxi with TimeWarner will lose their signal...
Does anybody have any info on this?

Thanks!

Did you ask him what was occurring on March 29?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 6304 Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecLem View Post

I am interested in buying a Moxi 3-Tuner with Moxi Mate and I have TimeWarner Cable. I heard that in certain areas TimeWarner offers Switched Digital Video and you need a Tuning Adapter.
So I called TW and the guy said my area does not have Switched Digital Video. However he told me that Moxi will not be working with TimeWarner anymore starting this Monday, March 29th, even with a Cable Card. I think he may be talking crap. If that is true than everybody who owns a Moxi with TimeWarner will lose their signal...
Does anybody have any info on this?

Thanks!

That is a load of crap!!!
All you need to do is order a CableCard: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...s-a-CableCARD-
and a
Tuning Adapter: http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...Tuning-Adapter
Although the following page says they currently do not use Switched Digital Video (SDV): http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...to-get-the-cha
Maybe the CS rep meant that Monday, March 29th they will be switching to SDV, Keep calling back until you get someone who knows what they are doing.
Here is your channel line up and it does state at the bottom:"*Viewing on certain television sets may require additional equipment that can be provided by Time Warner Cable or that may be available for purchase from retail stores in certain locations." http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal....ashx?linkid=0

Much More Info:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...cablecard.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal..._channels.html

Hell, They even show a Moxi on thier website: http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...igitalCab/Moxi
It is possible the CS rep meant TWC will not be providing Moxi as a lease option after Monday, Make sure you tell them it is a retail Moxi that you will be purchasing from Moxi.

You will however lose access to Video On Demand, unless you lease a set top box (STB).
Tuning Adapters can be unreliable, from what I've read, Also if you have a Scientific Atlantic DVR, currently the tuning adapter (which is manufactured by Cisco) will limit you to using only two of the three Moxi tuners . Personally have not made the move to Moxi yet myself.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2253 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Can you use two Tuning Adapters (Cisco) to get all three tuners on the 3 Tuner Moxi to work. If so how does the set-up work? and how do you connect the coax?
Anyone have an idea?

Excellent question... could swear I read someone posting it could be done, but some definitive answer seems still to be out there.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #2254 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Liked: 22
I got a letter from Charter saying I would need to switch out my cablecard device. THe tuning adapter only works with TiVO. But the folks said I will be fine. The rep on the phone didn't see Moxi listed, so they thought it is not going to work.

John Burton

post #2255 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Excellent question... could swear I read someone posting it could be done, but some definitive answer seems still to be out there.

While I don't know if it can be done with the Moxi in particular (i would also like to know, though I suppose I can try it out myself when I get my own 3-tuner box next month)..I can answer the coax part of the previous question. Tuning adapters can be wired either in serial ("daisy-chained") or in parallel. In principle, it doesn't matter which you do since all they do is pass through the RF signal (with a small amount of amplification). In the case of 2 tuning adapters, I would tend towards the parallel scenario to avoid multiple amplification "hops" and instead install a single amp upstream of both tuning adapters and the moxi if signal strength is an issue due to the 3-way split. In both of my 2-tuner boxes (one moxi and other tivo hd) I have both wired in parallel too and it seems to help a bit with the "marginal' strength channels versus the daisy-chained configuration.

As others have mentioned, hopefully by the end of the year we won't have to worry about it as our devices *should* be able to perform SDV functions over IP per the FCC recommendations-hopefully-soon-to-be-regulations.
post #2256 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

To make the Moxi a Tru2Way device. Would that require a Hardware and software change or simply a software change? Could it be done using IP?

Any experts out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2257 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To make the Moxi a Tru2Way device. Would that require a Hardware and software change or simply a software change? Could it be done using IP?

A tru2way product implements two-way capability with an embedded DOSCIS cable modem, OCAP stack, and Java virtual machine; Moxi has the first (disabled), but not the second or third. This added hardware and middleware allows the box download and run the cable company’s own software once a CableCard is installed. The cable company software is then used to support services like On Demand, pay-per-view ordering, and switched digital video.

I don't think many here are interested in giving up the Moxi's HD interface. The whole point of tru2way is to enable third-party devices to download and run the cable company’s software with its interface and menus. This eliminates the "need" for CE vendors to write their own STB and DVR software, cutting the cost for the consumer (in theory). Of course, this assumes that consumers are actually interested in buying boxes to run the cable company's software.

Moxi could obtain permission to run their own software in the foreground and keep the cable software hidden in the background, and only show it when accessing cable services like VOD. The problem is that tru2way carries all sorts licensing restrictions which limit what the set-top manufacturer can do with their own interface.

Complaints from TiVo, Sony, and others about tru2way licensing restrictions led to the proposed IP gateway mandate outlined in the National Broadband Plan (see pages 51-54).

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #2258 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Time Warner National CableCard Helpdesk.

1-866-532-2598

Do not call this number directly
-- you must be referred by either TWC or TiVo (and I assume Moxi) support. But the next time TWC support tells you they don't know of such a number, ask them to call this one!

From the Tivo Forum: http://tivobeta3.com/tivo-vb/showthr...35#post7679135

post #2259 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[b]Time Warner National CableCard Helpdesk.

1-866-532-2598

I wonder if they also support TA problems.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #2260 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Liked: 11
TW came out to my place three times. First guy paired up the CC and left. Second guy came back when I told them I was missing most of my channels. He told me he was stumped.

Then Brock from Moxi support got the National TW guys involved. They called TW Carlsbad's engineering dept and two of those guys came out and got the Moxi working. There hadn't been anything serious wrong, they just needed to start over.

Dave
post #2261 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

A tru2way product implements two-way capability with an embedded DOSCIS cable modem, OCAP stack, and Java virtual machine; Moxi has the first (disabled), but not the second or third. This added hardware and middleware allows the box download and run the cable company's own software once a CableCard is installed. The cable company software is then used to support services like On Demand, pay-per-view ordering, and switched digital video.

I don't think many here are interested in giving up the Moxi's HD interface. The whole point of tru2way is to enable third-party devices to download cable company's software with the cable company's interface and menus. This eliminates the need for hardware vendors to write STB and DVR software, cutting the cost for the consumer (in theory). Of course, this assumes that consumers are actually interested in buying boxes to run the cable company's software.

Moxi could obtain permission to run their own software in the foreground and keep the cable software hidden in the background, and only show it when accessing cable services like VOD. The problem is that tru2way carries all sorts licensing restrictions which limit what the set-top manufacturer can do with their own interface.

Complaints from TiVo, Sony, and others about these restrictions led to the proposed IP gateway mandate outlined in the National Broadband Plan (see pages 51-54).

Great answer. Just one thing. I strongly suspect that the Moxi has a JVM. Dollars to donuts that the Moxi interface is written in Java.

Hopefully, the FCC suggestion will hold sway. Tru2way is a closed system with a minuscule user base. The IP gateway idea is elegant, easily implemented and should be seamlessly accommodated by Moxi..., and Tivo as well.
post #2262 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi. I was considering switching from DirecTV to FiOS but I would like a 4-room MRV Moxi system. Is this possible? I see that they sell a 3 room bundle including a 3-tuner DVR and 2 Moxi Mates for $999. Could I add another mate for $299 and make it work with the system?

By any chance could the DVR stream recordings to a PS3 or XBox 360?

This seems like a lot of dough to lay out up front but it may be worth it to get especially with the FiOS promotional pricing and saving on any box rental/lease fees/dvr fees/mrv fees etc.

I emailed them this question but figured I would ask here as well.

Thanks.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #2263 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread is great, but I'm finding a lot of the discussion way over my head. I hope it's OK to ask the question here . . .

Does anyone know of a Moxi resource for those of us without the technical understanding y'all have?

My situation is that I'm a ReplayTV person -- we've got five RTVs. However, since we do extensive time-shifting, we really never get the benefit of our HD TVs or cable boxes except when watching DVDs. This has become more annoying to me each week over the past 18 months or so, but I wasn't seeing any real options. I was originally intersted in the HD Tivos, but my limited understanding is because we've got Time Warner, Tivo isn't really a viable option for us since we are heavy users of recording something in one room & watching in another.

Enter Moxi: I've been reading the thread here for several months. While not perfect, it's sounding like it might be a good solution for us. However, as I said, a lot of the discussion is over my head, and the more I read, the more confused I seem to be getting.

As limited as my understanding is, I'm the person in our family who makes all the technology decisions & does the work to make things work. The last thing I need to do is convince my dh that Moxi would be a good way to spend some of our tax refund and then have it not work for us.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource that's appropriate for those without the technical understanding y'll have.

TIA!
post #2264 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

Hi. I was considering switching from DirecTV to FiOS but I would like a 4-room MRV Moxi system. Is this possible? I see that they sell a 3 room bundle including a 3-tuner DVR and 2 Moxi Mates for $999. Could I add another mate for $199 and make it work with the system?

This seems like a lot of dough to lay out up front but it may be worth it to get especially with the FiOS promotional pricing and saving on any box rental/lease fees/dvr fees/mrv fees etc.

Thanks.

You *could* do that (3-room bundle plus another Mate), but then you would have 3 tuners for 4 rooms. I see many "I'm not missing Happy Pony" moments ala the Uverse commercial in your future

Perhaps a better solution (if you don't mind the additional cash outlay) would be to pick up the 3-room bundle and an additional 2-tuner Moxi for a total of 5 tuners. However, if you know that 3 tuners would be enough, then what you've suggested should work fine (though the recommendation is no more than 2 mates per 3-tuner Moxi, but from what I understand 3 should work although it might cause the Moxi to become sluggish if all are 3 are streaming). And FYI I don't think you'll be able to pick up an additional Mate for $199 as a separate item. But I could be wrong on that and if you can indeed get it for $199 then go for it.

And as for your other question, the answer is "no" on the streaming to other devices (CableLabs restriction). Be thankful that they can at least stream to each other
post #2265 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

How long does it take for the guide data to catch up with cable co's addition of new channels and changing channel line-ups?

post #2266 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi. I was considering switching from DirecTV to FiOS but I would like a 4-room MRV Moxi system. Is this possible? I see that they sell a 3 room bundle including a 3-tuner DVR and 2 Moxi Mates for $999. Could I add another mate for $199 and make it work with the system?

Thanks.

Yes, a 4 room Moxi system is possible and will work fine for you.. Keep in mind Moxi recommends two Moxi Mates maximum per a 3 tuner moxi but if you do not use both Moxi Mates at once then you can go with an additional Moxi Mates. Actually, you can add as many Moxi Mates as you want.

The Moxi only steams to Moxi Mates. However you can stream from other devices to Moxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

This thread is great, but I'm finding a lot of the discussion way over my head. I hope it's OK to ask the question here . . .

Does anyone know of a Moxi resource for those of us without the technical understanding y'all have?

My situation is that I'm a ReplayTV person -- we've got five RTVs. However, since we do extensive time-shifting, we really never get the benefit of our HD TVs or cable boxes except when watching DVDs. This has become more annoying to me each week over the past 18 months or so, but I wasn't seeing any real options. I was originally intersted in the HD Tivos, but my limited understanding is because we've got Time Warner, Tivo isn't really a viable option for us since we are heavy users of recording something in one room & watching in another.

Enter Moxi: I've been reading the thread here for several months. While not perfect, it's sounding like it might be a good solution for us. However, as I said, a lot of the discussion is over my head, and the more I read, the more confused I seem to be getting.

As limited as my understanding is, I'm the person in our family who makes all the technology decisions & does the work to make things work. The last thing I need to do is convince my dh that Moxi would be a good way to spend some of our tax refund and then have it not work for us.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource that's appropriate for those without the technical understanding y'll have.

TIA!

Unfortunately, it seems like this is the main Moxi discussion on the internet. You can ask about Moxi on TivoCommunity but you will be quickly chased out of there. You can ask any question here, you will not get ridiculed or harassed here.

ReplayTV is a great implementation for multiple rooms. Moxi will allow you to replace some of the functionality. However, with 5 Replay TV, you most likely have one tuner on each ReplayTv. With the 3 room moxi, you will have 3 tuners that is shareable between the Moxi and Moxi mate. If you add two more Moxi Mates, you are still at 3 Tuners. The key to figure out is how many TVs will be watched at a time.

Next with your replayTV, you did not have cable cards, so you will need a cable card for the Main moxi or do QAM.

Furthermore, you have ethernet cable to each Moxi right? Then connectiviity should be fine.
post #2267 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

You *could* do that (3-room bundle plus another Mate), but then you would have 3 tuners for 4 rooms. I see many "I'm not missing Happy Pony" moments ala the Uverse commercial in your future

Perhaps a better solution (if you don't mind the additional cash outlay) would be to pick up the 3-room bundle and an additional 2-tuner Moxi for a total of 5 tuners. However, if you know that 3 tuners would be enough, then what you've suggested should work fine (though the recommendation is no more than 2 mates per 3-tuner Moxi, but from what I understand 3 should work although it might cause the Moxi to become sluggish if all are 3 are streaming). And FYI I don't think you'll be able to pick up an additional Mate for $199 as a separate item. But I could be wrong on that and if you can indeed get it for $199 then go for it.

And as for your other question, the answer is "no" on the streaming to other devices (CableLabs restriction). Be thankful that they can at least stream to each other

Thanks a lot. We would probably prefer the 5 tuners as you suggested. We are used to 6 now with Directv. Can they all share with each other? PS I edited my orig post to reflect the $299 for the mate. I had forgotten whether it was $199 or $299.

I keep my shaking my head in disbelief at the $1498 cost. We'll have sit down with a calculator and determine if this would all be worth it. I am getting tired of my DirecTV fees, as I said but I'm not sure how long it'll take to recoup that much up front.

post #2268 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks a lot. We would probably prefer the 5 tuners as you suggested. We are used to 6 now with Directv. Can they all share with each other? PS I edited my orig post to reflect the $299 for the mate. I had forgotten whether it was $199 or $299.

I keep my shaking my head in disbelief at the $1498 cost. We'll have sit down with a calculator and determine if this would all be worth it. I am getting tired of my DirecTV fees, as I said but I'm not sure how long it'll take to recoup that much up front.

I think acaoacao already addressed it, but I'll go ahead and affirm that yes both Moxi's would be able to stream to each other, and the mates can stream from either Moxi (though at the moment each Mate can only be "paired" with a single Moxi at a given time, though you can change it through a little effort in the config menus).

As for the cost..yeah it's pretty steep. But as long as you are OK with a "break-even" of 2 or 3 years, then it's a good deal in most folks' case. In addition, you'll be gaining additional functionality that woudn't have otherwise been available with the providers' equipment, so it's not an exact apples-to-apples comparison and makes Moxi look like an even better value. And since you'll be moving to Fios, you won't have to deal with the Tuning Adapter crap that many of us are stuck with for at least the time being.
post #2269 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

I think acaoacao already addressed it, but I'll go ahead and affirm that yes both Moxi's would be able to stream to each other, and the mates can stream from either Moxi (though at the moment each Mate can only be "paired" with a single Moxi at a given time, though you can change it through a little effort in the config menus).

As for the cost..yeah it's pretty steep. But as long as you are OK with a "break-even" of 2 or 3 years, then it's a good deal in most folks' case. In addition, you'll be gaining additional functionality that woudn't have otherwise been available with the providers' equipment, so it's not an exact apples-to-apples comparison and makes Moxi look like an even better value. And since you'll be moving to Fios, you won't have to deal with the Tuning Adapter crap that many of us are stuck with for at least the time being.

Appreciate the info!

post #2270 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

How long does it take for the guide data to catch up with cable co's addition of new channels and changing channel line-ups?

If you have a TA it updates at the next hit from the cableco which is usually the same time they go live everywhere else during the night.

If you don't have a TA the unit updates when the CC sees them.

post #2271 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM

I heard you can purchase a Moxi Mate for $200.00 once you activate you existing Moxi DVR. Is this true or are they always $299.00, except if you buy the initial bundle?
Thanks
post #2272 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. I love my DirecTV but FIOS internet is the hook that's got me thinking about it... along with the deal right now. I'd be saving a lot of money per month since I'm paying phone/slower internet with TWC on top of the DirecTV.
The FIOS recorder is very limited in space and $20/mo plus each additional unit is around $14/mo x 3. We mainly use 3 TV's so I may try it out with the 3 room and see if we like it. Then add a 2 tuner for the bedroom if we can all use it. This issue with the "MOXI" button doing different things is a little concerning.

post #2273 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:

This issue with the "MOXI" button doing different things is a little concerning.

you could always put a piece of black tape over the Moxi button and just ignore it
post #2274 of 6304 Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Unfortunately, it seems like this is the main Moxi discussion on the internet. You can ask about Moxi on TivoCommunity but you will be quickly chased out of there. You can ask any question here, you will not get ridiculed or harassed here.

ReplayTV is a great implementation for multiple rooms. Moxi will allow you to replace some of the functionality. However, with 5 Replay TV, you most likely have one tuner on each ReplayTv. With the 3 room moxi, you will have 3 tuners that is shareable between the Moxi and Moxi mate. If you add two more Moxi Mates, you are still at 3 Tuners. The key to figure out is how many TVs will be watched at a time.

Next with your replayTV, you did not have cable cards, so you will need a cable card for the Main moxi or do QAM.

Furthermore, you have ethernet cable to each Moxi right? Then connectiviity should be fine.

LOL -- I really don't know how many tuners we actually have. So, we've got 5 ReplayTVs, three cable boxes, and four TVs. On all of the TVs, we have the ability to watch "lower" channels (2-66 or something like that) if the RTV & cable box are occupied recording something else and we want to watch live TV for some reason, which doesn't happen very often, because I split the signal.

If I'm correctly understanding, QAM isn't an option for us because we have the premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. So, we'd have to go the CableCARD route -- yes? Plus, we live in a more rural area where cable or a dish is required to get anything other than PBS. I've looked at satellite options, but the first time I asked my dh to go outside to sweep snow out of a dish or we lost service due to weather would probably spell divorce, particularly if a sporting event was lost. So, we've stuck with cable.

I'm really unclear on the whole CableCARD & Moxi thing. Would one CableCARD allow three separate premium channels to be recorded at one time? In looking at the technical specs, it looks like the Moxi only holds one CableCARD, but I'm not sure about that.

I love the idea of getting rid of all the cable boxes, but the reality is that we'd probably have to keep one or maybe two of them for OnDemand use, and also to preserve the ability to offload some shows to burn to DVD, which is something I do a fair amount of. If I'm correctly understanding, that's not a capability of the Moxi, although by utilizing external drives, storage space can be dramatically increased. Still, I expect I'll still want to burn some programming (my quilting shows, for instance) to DVD to be able to refer back to. Plus, unless/until we have a Moxi or Mate in each of the four rooms, we'll still need to have a way to stream recorded stuff that's quickly watched & deleted, so I don't anticipate being able to get rid of all the RTVs in the near future.

Also, if Switched Digital Video isn't in this area, would I need a tuning adapter, and would all three tuners in a 3-tuner Moxi work? Also, is the dongle I've read about here but don't understand required if one is using a CableCARD?

And, between the three RTVs hooked to cable boxes and the two that just get the lower channels, it's not rare that four of the five are busy recording at the same time. So, I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best situation for us. My dream would be to go with two of the 3-tuner Moxis and add Mates as needed, but a more realistic option might be somethign different.

We've got Time Warner Cable, and in reading through the posts, it sounded like that would be a problem for the 3-tuner Moxi. However, this is a former Adelphia area, and we've got Motorola equipement, and a previous post by VisionOn (#2134) got me wondering. Since I had to call TW tonight (it seems we always have a "date" Sunday nights) to report yet another problem, I took the opportunity to ask about Switched Digital Video, and it's not here and there's no anticipated implementation for this market. Maybe for once, I should be happy I live in a small market

Can anyone tell me how Moxi with a CableCARD works with Closed Captioning? I don't understand the technology or whatever, but we currently have two ReplayTVs hooked up without cable boxes to maintain maximum Closed Caption flexibility. For whatever technological reason, once we moved to the HD Motorola TW cable boxes, we can't turn Closed Captioning on & off on the fly (it requires physically going to the cable box to enable or disable closed captioning), and once something is recorded with Closed Captioning turned on or off at the cable box, there's no way to shut it off or turn it on in recorded material, even when it's blocking important stuff. This wasn't a problem with the older non-HD TW cable boxes, and it's not a problem for the lower channel shows we can record to the RTVs without the cable boxes -- in both instances, we are/were able to enable/disable Closed Captioning on live TV and recorded material. It's . . . surprising how much conflict that has caused in this household. I often watch recorded stuff after my dh has gone to sleep, so I need the closed captioning on to keep from disturbing him. He, OTOH, often watches recorded sports and gets annoyed when the closed captioning blocks important stuff. So, any improvement in the Closed Captioning situation would be way cool.

Connectivity: yes, I have Ethernet in all the rooms, and my network also has a WAP that works well. I can run additional Ethernet for a Moxi & Mate, or two Moxis, as needed -- I learned to crimp network cable to keep my dh from stroking out over more or bigger holes Somewhere in this thread, I read about using a bridge for wireless connectivity, I think, so that might also be an option -- yes? I clearly have more reading to do about this . . .

Whew -- so that's a start for my questions. Thanks to anyone who has waded through & can shed some light either by answering specific questions or pointing me to previous answers. I have read through this thread over the past few months, but much of it has been a bit over my head . . .

TIA!
post #2275 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:

LOL -- I really don't know how many tuners we actually have. So, we've got 5 ReplayTVs, three cable boxes, and four TVs. On all of the TVs, we have the ability to watch "lower" channels (2-66 or something like that) if the RTV & cable box are occupied recording something else and we want to watch live TV for some reason, which doesn't happen very often, because I split the signal.

If I'm correctly understanding, QAM isn't an option for us because we have the premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. So, we'd have to go the CableCARD route -- yes?

That is correct unless for some strange reason the premiums aren't encrypted in your area.
Quote:

Plus, we live in a more rural area where cable or a dish is required to get anything other than PBS. I've looked at satellite options, but the first time I asked my dh to go outside to sweep snow out of a dish or we lost service due to weather would probably spell divorce, particularly if a sporting event was lost. So, we've stuck with cable.

I'm really unclear on the whole CableCARD & Moxi thing. Would one CableCARD allow three separate premium channels to be recorded at one time? In looking at the technical specs, it looks like the Moxi only holds one CableCARD, but I'm not sure about that.

That is basically correct...1 multi-stream card can decode up to 6 simultaneous streams if you have enough tuners in the box for it. However, the need for a tuning adapter in some markets that do SDV (Switched Digital Video) complicates things a bit. In many markets, a tuning adapter made by Cisco is used..and that particular gem can only decode 2 streams per Tuning Adapter. So, you'd likely be stuck with only 2 tuners per Moxi if you need to use a tuning adapter AND the tuning adapter your local provider uses is the one made by Cisco. That is due to change over the next year or so via FCC mandate so that the tuning adapters are not needed, but for now that is the situation.

Quote:

I love the idea of getting rid of all the cable boxes, but the reality is that we'd probably have to keep one or maybe two of them for OnDemand use, and also to preserve the ability to offload some shows to burn to DVD, which is something I do a fair amount of. If I'm correctly understanding, that's not a capability of the Moxi, although by utilizing external drives, storage space can be dramatically increased. Still, I expect I'll still want to burn some programming (my quilting shows, for instance) to DVD to be able to refer back to. Plus, unless/until we have a Moxi or Mate in each of the four rooms, we'll still need to have a way to stream recorded stuff that's quickly watched & deleted, so I don't anticipate being able to get rid of all the RTVs in the near future.

Have you looked into getting a Hava box by Monsoon Multimedia? If you hook a Hava up to a Moxi Box or a Mate, you'll be able to copy any shows you like to your computer and burn them to disc. HD shows get down-converted to DVD-like quality, dunno if maintaining full HD quality is important for you in your particular case though since you are moving from RTV's I'm guessing not. There are other solutions that hook directly to your computer but the Hava works over the network so it's the most flexible plus it allows "place shifting" over the internet (like a slingbox). I *believe* that PPV events can be manually authorized over the phone so you probably don't necessarily need to hang on to the STB's for that either (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one).
Quote:

Also, if Switched Digital Video isn't in this area, would I need a tuning adapter, and would all three tuners in a 3-tuner Moxi work? Also, is the dongle I've read about here but don't understand required if one is using a CableCARD?

See above for the tuning adapter explanation. The dongle is only used to receive analog channels and is not necessary if you are using CableCard with all digital channels.

Quote:

And, between the three RTVs hooked to cable boxes and the two that just get the lower channels, it's not rare that four of the five are busy recording at the same time. So, I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best situation for us. My dream would be to go with two of the 3-tuner Moxis and add Mates as needed, but a more realistic option might be somethign different.

We've got Time Warner Cable, and in reading through the posts, it sounded like that would be a problem for the 3-tuner Moxi. However, this is a former Adelphia area, and we've got Motorola equipement, and a previous post by VisionOn (#2134) got me wondering. Since I had to call TW tonight (it seems we always have a "date" Sunday nights) to report yet another problem, I took the opportunity to ask about Switched Digital Video, and it's not here and there's no anticipated implementation for this market. Maybe for once, I should be happy I live in a small market

No SDV = no tuning adapter, so you're good to go regarding using all the available tuners. Yay for you

Quote:

Can anyone tell me how Moxi with a CableCARD works with Closed Captioning? I don't understand the technology or whatever, but we currently have two ReplayTVs hooked up without cable boxes to maintain maximum Closed Caption flexibility. For whatever technological reason, once we moved to the HD Motorola TW cable boxes, we can't turn Closed Captioning on & off on the fly (it requires physically going to the cable box to enable or disable closed captioning), and once something is recorded with Closed Captioning turned on or off at the cable box, there's no way to shut it off or turn it on in recorded material, even when it's blocking important stuff. This wasn't a problem with the older non-HD TW cable boxes, and it's not a problem for the lower channel shows we can record to the RTVs without the cable boxes -- in both instances, we are/were able to enable/disable Closed Captioning on live TV and recorded material. It's . . . surprising how much conflict that has caused in this household. I often watch recorded stuff after my dh has gone to sleep, so I need the closed captioning on to keep from disturbing him. He, OTOH, often watches recorded sports and gets annoyed when the closed captioning blocks important stuff. So, any improvement in the Closed Captioning situation would be way cool.

CC is embedded in the data channel of the programming and can be switched on and off in both live and recorded shows at will.

Quote:

Connectivity: yes, I have Ethernet in all the rooms, and my network also has a WAP that works well. I can run additional Ethernet for a Moxi & Mate, or two Moxis, as needed -- I learned to crimp network cable to keep my dh from stroking out over more or bigger holes Somewhere in this thread, I read about using a bridge for wireless connectivity, I think, so that might also be an option -- yes? I clearly have more reading to do about this . . .

Stick with wired ethernet and/or MoCA if you can. Some folks have had good luck with wireless....others haven't so it's a bit of a crapshoot. Ditto powerline networking.

Quote:

Whew -- so that's a start for my questions. Thanks to anyone who has waded through & can shed some light either by answering specific questions or pointing me to previous answers. I have read through this thread over the past few months, but much of it has been a bit over my head . . .

TIA!

Hope that helps
post #2276 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:

TIA!

Both Moxi and Tivo will work for you - Tivo HD DVR's can be networked - but watching a recorded show in another room is basically a copy from one DVR to another - not exactly instant. Moxi works more like an extender (if I understand correctly) a small piece of hardware that gives you a window into the physical moxi device and can stream recorded content.

Both products will do what you want (I have time warner and tivo works just fine with it with a cable card - the advantage over moxi is the tivo HD will get and record any analog channels - Moxi is straight up digital unless you by their analog adapter for 200 dollars). If your going Tivo Premier vs. Moxi then it all comes down to cost. Tivo is 300 a pop for their premiere + subscription fee (to be fair to moxi I will go with the lifetme fee) so 698 dollars per box. 3 rooms 2100 dollars. The 3 tuner moxi + 2 moxi mates is 999. You would have three less tuners but 1100 more in your pocket.
post #2277 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groebuck View Post

Both Moxi and Tivo will work for you - Tivo HD DVR's can be networked - but watching a recorded show in another room is basically a copy from one DVR to another - not exactly instant. Moxi works more like an extender (if I understand correctly) a small piece of hardware that gives you a window into the physical moxi device and can stream recorded content.

Just a quick note on what I have bolded. Aren't some show's copy flag set to never copy, so that doesn't work for all programming?

I don't have either a Moxi or Tivo, but looking into it, and that's on the list of Cons for the Tivo (as well as the whole copying thing).
post #2278 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_c View Post

Just a quick note on what I have bolded. Aren't some show's copy flag set to never copy, so that doesn't work for all programming?

I don't have either a Moxi or Tivo, but looking into it, and that's on the list of Cons for the Tivo (as well as the whole copying thing).

Jon_c,

Tivo and Moxi works different in how they transfer/stream shows.

Tivo essentially copies from one Tivo to the other Tivo. This could result in delays if the show is large and your network is slower. I believe you have to wait for the show to finish copying before you can watch. Furthermore since Tivo does copy, they are subject to the copy bit that some cable providers add to their programming. If they have that CC1 bit turned on, you cannot copy the program to another Tivo and hence cannot view in another room.

Moxi streams Live TV or Recorded shows to the Moxi Mates. The Moxi Mate never holds or stores the show. Moxi uses DTCP/IP (cable labs approved) to stream to the Moxi Mates and this methods allows them to stream shows to the Moxi Mates without restrictions.

So.. if you need a DVR for multiple rooms, Moxi might be better than a Tivo.

Hope this helps.
post #2279 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM

And streaming from a Tuner Moxi to a Tuner Moxi (be it the 3 or 2 tuner model) is the same as streaming from a Mate as well, right?
post #2280 of 6304 Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_c View Post

And streaming from a Tuner Moxi to a Tuner Moxi (be it the 3 or 2 tuner model) is the same as streaming from a Mate as well, right?

I don't think you can do that - the moxi is dnla aware but I don't think it works as a server only as a client (it's how you get hulu, netflix, amazon - you need a pc on your network running play on media server or twonky or something like that).

Tivo on the other hand can do direct netflix streaming and buy downloaded content from amazon, blockbuster etc. TBH not really a deal breaker - I had netflix the online content was sketch at best -HD dl's of current movies is 6 dollars a pop - I just keep my blockbuster online membership for 16.99 - 3 at a time including blurays...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page