Moxi HD DVR - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2341 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Member
 
ciucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Did you press the "stop" button when you stopped watching? Because if you just turn your TV off, I suppose the show will continue to run till the end and then, yes, it would start from the beginning next time. If you stop with the stop button, the show will pick up where you left off.
Dave

yes I pressed the stop button, went back to watching live tv, after a few minutes pressed the moxi lens button, and then pressed play (same recording), still starts at the beginning. Am I missing something? Perhaps a setting?

MoxiGuy another request for enhancement:

Please add a "play from beginning" , and "resume" options to the recorded program menu to replace "play". The functionality is self explanatory.
ciucca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2342 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
phousley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin, OH (Columbus area)
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

RAM equals Speed. Hum...My first computer in 1997 had 256MB of RAM which quickly needed upgraded to 512MB then to 1GB, Now my current laptop has 4GB. Most new decent PC video cards have 1GB.

That may be true for a PC that must handle scores (perhaps hundreds) of large and diverse processes: virus protection, word processing, browsing, multi-media, etc. To handle all these things, memory needs to be paged back and forth from the disk. The more memory you have, the less paging is necessary and the more responsive your PC is.

But the design of a PC does not necessarily translate to that of an appliance computer like the Moxi. Without detailed knowledge of the system (architecture, OS, and application software), there is absolutely no way you can know how much memory it needs and what effect more memory would have on its performance. You do not know if it is doing any paging nor if it even has a paging algorithm.

My first computer in 1972 had 16K of memory (a lot in those days) and my company designed the OS and application software. We used it to control large manufacturing processes. More memory would have made our programming job a lot easier, but it would not have made it any faster.

If you think the 2-tuner Moxi is not responsive enough, that's a legitimate concern. But to assume the cause is due to insufficient memory and base a buying decision on the amount of memory it has without an understanding of the dynamics of its memory usage, is not wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Why does the Mate need 512MB, I don't believe it is buffering the stream.

I don't know why. And my point is neither do you.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

phousley is offline  
post #2343 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
dbrons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: La Costa CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Please add a "play from beginning" , and "resume" options to the recorded program menu to replace "play". The functionality is self explanatory.

That option is right there, you choose "resume" or "start over". I've never used the "lens" button, so right now I'm trying to duplicate your issue, but I can't.

If I use "lens" instead of Moxi and navigate to a recording I previously started, I usually press "OK" which brings up that menu with "resume", "start over" "delete" etc. But even if I press the play button, I'm seeing the show pick up right where I left off.

Oh, and I've found that even if I don't press "stop" and just navigate away from the recording the Moxi still stops the recording and saves my place.

As a first step, try navigating to a recording you were watching, then press"OK". Do you see the menu?

Dave
dbrons is offline  
post #2344 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Member
 
texaslabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

That may be true for a PC that must handle scores (perhaps hundreds) of large and diverse processes: virus protection, word processing, browsing, multi-media, etc. To handle all these things, memory needs to be paged back and forth from the disk. The more memory you have, the less paging is necessary and the more responsive your PC is.

But the design of a PC does not necessarily translate to that of an appliance computer like the Moxi. Without detailed knowledge of the system (architecture, OS, and application software), there is absolutely no way you can know how much memory it needs and what effect more memory would have on its performance. You do not know if it is doing any paging nor if it even has a paging algorithm.

My first computer in 1972 had 16K of memory (a lot in those days) and my company designed the OS and application software. We used it to control large manufacturing processes. More memory would have made our programming job a lot easier, but it would not have made it any faster.

If you think the 2-tuner Moxi is not responsive enough, that's a legitimate concern. But to assume the cause is due to insufficient memory and base a buying decision on the amount of memory it has without an understanding of the dynamics of its memory usage, is not wise.

I don't know why. And my point is neither do you.

phousley, I'm not sure why you are trying to make such a big deal of this. Everyone that I've talked to who has used both the 2-tuner and the 3-tuner models has remarked on how much more responsive the 3-tuner is. This is, in large part, due to the increased RAM the 3-tuner model has. The Moxi is essentially a Linux server with a pretty interface...if it can't hold everything in RAM it will swap (ie use virtual memory). This is evident in the hitching and hesitation of several operations on the 2-tuner model in my personal experience and has reportedly been largely addressed through the doubling of the system RAM on subsequent models (3-tuner and the Mate). While certainly not a "deal breaker" for most (all the functions still work, just with a bit of hesitation in some cases)....it is a valid point that BryanCoxPHX is making.

Edit: And I'd like to take a stab at the rhetorical question regarding why does the Mate have 512MB of RAM. Well, for one it probably shares the same ordered-by-the-pallet guts as the 3-tuner so it was just easier that way (since the memory is soldered to the board). Second, more = better. And finally, the Mate literally *can't* swap since it has no internal disk drive (only a 32MB flash drive which is likely where the firmware lives so it's off limits)...so it *must* be able to hold everything it needs in RAM "or else". Just further conjecture on my part, but educated conjecture
texaslabrat is offline  
post #2345 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

it is a valid point that BryanCoxPHX is making.

It is also a point verified by Moxi. Moxi has confirmed to myself and others that the triple-tuner model pages less to the disk than the dual-tuner model, thereby eliminating most of the hiccups seen on that model. The difference is said to be the most noticeable when an extender is used.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bfdtv is offline  
post #2346 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Operon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Demand DisplayPort. Kill HDMI!
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phousley View Post

That may be true for a PC that must handle scores (perhaps hundreds) of large and diverse processes: virus protection, word processing, browsing, multi-media, etc. To handle all these things, memory needs to be paged back and forth from the disk. The more memory you have, the less paging is necessary and the more responsive your PC is.

But the design of a PC does not necessarily translate to that of an appliance computer like the Moxi. Without detailed knowledge of the system (architecture, OS, and application software), there is absolutely no way you can know how much memory it needs and what effect more memory would have on its performance. You do not know if it is doing any paging nor if it even has a paging algorithm.

My first computer in 1972 had 16K of memory (a lot in those days) and my company designed the OS and application software. We used it to control large manufacturing processes. More memory would have made our programming job a lot easier, but it would not have made it any faster.

If you think the 2-tuner Moxi is not responsive enough, that's a legitimate concern. But to assume the cause is due to insufficient memory and base a buying decision on the amount of memory it has without an understanding of the dynamics of its memory usage, is not wise.

I don't know why. And my point is neither do you.

You quite rightly note the differences between normal computers and digital appliances such as the Moxi though these differences at some level are quickly converging. In my efforts to understand HD structure vis-a-vie the embedded Linux used in the Moxi I'm beginning to suspect that the /swap paging partition lies in a segment of the installed RAM. That and the anecdotal evidence sited by texaslabrat and bfdtv's correct acknowledgment of Moxi's own admission might give one pause to consider that total RAM indeed can effect the performance of the Moxi.

JF
Operon is offline  
post #2347 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
BTW, Thanks to everyone here who takes the time to comment on the Moxi and report your likes, dislikes and experiences, I will continue to monitor this thread, as I really do want a Moxi. When/If CE devices with Ethernet ports can communicate upstream via IP to tune SDV channels, the game will have changed, and my Moxi will be ordered.

I'll be watching.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #2348 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Member
 
ciucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

That option is right there, you choose "resume" or "start over". I've never used the "lens" button, so right now I'm trying to duplicate your issue, but I can't.

If I use "lens" instead of Moxi and navigate to a recording I previously started, I usually press "OK" which brings up that menu with "resume", "start over" "delete" etc. But even if I press the play button, I'm seeing the show pick up right where I left off.

Oh, and I've found that even if I don't press "stop" and just navigate away from the recording the Moxi still stops the recording and saves my place.

As a first step, try navigating to a recording you were watching, then press"OK". Do you see the menu?

Dave

There is something odd. I do not have those options on my 3-tuner moxi DVR, when I navigate to the recorded menu I press ok, then on the left menu I see (keep until, play, close,lock,see all times) I do not see resume and start over anywhere. I think I have the latest software (6.1.1.3R4BR-P.307850).
ciucca is offline  
post #2349 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
dbrons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: La Costa CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


There is something odd. I do not have those options on my 3-tuner moxi DVR, when I navigate to the recorded menu I press ok, then on the left menu I see (keep until, play, close,lock,see all times) I do not see resume and start over anywhere

When you are looking at a program you haven't watched before, that is what you see.

So when you're looking at that menu, select "play" and press "OK". Watch the program for 5 min or so then press "stop". Wait a moment, then press OK again. If you don't see resume, there's something wrong.
Dave
dbrons is offline  
post #2350 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hphase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 2,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

To recap: I have Moxi 3-Tuner. Only three weeks old. Yesterday, with just Live TV, Moxi froze. I had to do a Reset. Over 10 mins. went by with "Moxi Checking Hard Drive." After reboot, all recorded programs were gone, and the Network Icons next to channel numbers in TV Guide were gone.

I called Customer Support, of course. They are always nice. They always tell you they will forward report to the engineers. Hearing back from engineers takes time, of course.

But more importantly, I was told: During reboot, if Moxi detects a problem with the hard drive, Moxi will attempt to fix the problem. During this fix, it is very common (if not always expected) recorded programs will be lost.

Not very comforting, is it? (What I take from this: One should watch their recorded programs as soon as possible just in case of a hard drive hiccup. Yeah, I know. Most of the time one's Moxi hard drive will not arrive with problems. But now there are two users, me and someone from 3/6 who have posted lost recorded programs after reboot the first week of March.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

Had a new problem happen the other night. Watching tv via mate for several hours and channel locked up and then got the "you do not subscribe to this channel". Hard rebooted both mate and 3 tuner units three separate times. Continued to get "you do not subscribe to this channel" for all channels with occasional choppy frozen pixelation in background. Under cable card settings the unit was not recognizing the cable card. Continued into next day. Moxi tech support not sure what happened but acknowledged the unit was failing to recognize the cable card. I'm on Verizon fios.

I've turned on my TV and discovered my brand-new Moxi frozen on a picture. Backing out to the menu, I get the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message. I do a reset and things come back. Sort of. I've also seen the unit freeze "live." It was at the end of a program I was watching and recording at the same time. It could just be a coincidence...

I have also lost the channel icons on the guide. After a day or to, they came back, at least until the next freeze.

I did another reset and all my recorded programs were wiped out. This is not good. Luckily, I still have my Comcast DVR around until when (or if) this Moxi problem is sorted out.

Any idea what's happening here?

Oh yeah, I do NOT have the bad cablecard screen. The cablecard seems OK, at least when I check the menu. Believe it or not, I had the Comcast tech out to install the CC last week and they still had single stream cards. I had to send him back to get an M card.
hphase is offline  
post #2351 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Member
 
ciucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

When you are looking at a program you haven't watched before, that is what you see.

So when you're looking at that menu, select "play" and press "OK". Watch the program for 5 min or so then press "stop". Wait a moment, then press OK again. If you don't see resume, there's something wrong.
Dave

Thanks Dave! It seems to working now, although up until today I swear I only got the play option. Could it be an intermittent issue? or perhaps too much beer
ciucca is offline  
post #2352 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Member
 
dronning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lakeville, MN USA
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moxi and Mates set up cable card (Charter) was installed yesterday. One slight issue the tech pulled a "filter" that was installed by a tech 4 years ago when I was having slow internet speeds. That distroyed my signal and all I got was pixelation. They put the "filter" back on and all was good. It looked just like the filter so the tech took the numbers off it to see exactly what the device is. They may come back to replace it a newer version.

As it turned out I was missing some channels turns out they had to set a software switch because they are now using "SimulTran" on some of their channels so it changes the set up for newer boxes. All my old cable boxes were > 3years old.

Dave
dronning is offline  
post #2353 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Evangelo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, one of my Mates has a MAJOR issue. It is all of a sudden stuck on the boot up screen (white MOXI logo on the screen and nothing else). No signals of anything else happening. Moxi support gave me some things to try and if it doesn't work they will have to swap it out. First MAJOR issue I have had but support has been pretty darn good.
-Evangelo2


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
Evangelo2 is offline  
post #2354 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
midas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

I've turned on my TV and discovered my brand-new Moxi frozen on a picture. Backing out to the menu, I get the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message. I do a reset and things come back. Sort of. I've also seen the unit freeze "live." It was at the end of a program I was watching and recording at the same time. It could just be a coincidence...

I have also lost the channel icons on the guide. After a day or to, they came back, at least until the next freeze.

I did another reset and all my recorded programs were wiped out. This is not good. Luckily, I still have my Comcast DVR around until when (or if) this Moxi problem is sorted out.

Any idea what's happening here?

Oh yeah, I do NOT have the bad cablecard screen. The cablecard seems OK, at least when I check the menu. Believe it or not, I had the Comcast tech out to install the CC last week and they still had single stream cards. I had to send him back to get an M card.

HPhase, after I lost all my recordings, I reported it to Moxi. They had the engineers access my Moxi's logs remotely. Bad hard drive. They sent a replacement unit. I urge you to let Moxi know that all of your recordings were gone after a reset. I was told if Moxi detects a hard drive problem during a reset, all recordings will vanish. If its a minor hard drive problem, there is a chance the issue will be corrected during the reset. If it is a serious issue, you need a new Moxi hard drive. Good luck.
midas89 is offline  
post #2355 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Member
 
flyer57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know why you are waiting. Nothing I care about uses SDV in our area and I am loving my 2 3 turner Moxi's with their associated mates

Flyer57
Scottsdale, AZ
flyer57 is offline  
post #2356 of 6304 Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer57 View Post

Don't know why you are waiting. Nothing I care about uses SDV in our area and I am loving my 2 3 turner Moxi's with their associated mates

You didn't specify which post you were responding to, But I'll answer. I assume you do not use a SDV Tuning Adapter by your posting.
I am glad your Moxi set-up is working for you, everyone has different likes and preferences. It just so happens my viewing and recording preferences include many SDV channels, as I mentioned previously. especially BBC America, EPIXHD, VH1HD, BIOHD, (edit found one mistake), BioSD, TMCHD, MSNBCHD, DIY, VH1Classics, FLIX, Sundance, Encore and many more.

One thing to keep in mind, If the addition of EPIX SD and EPIX HD on SDV is any indication. Future HD additions might also be on SDV. Also, if the testing of HBO2E on SDV on channel 870 is any indication, It might suggest either the moving of some HBO channels to SDV or the addition of HD versions of HBO on SDV.

(I could use a crash course in inserting tables, if anyone would like to PM me an example)
Corrections made
I did not insert the images into this post, due to it's length, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at what your missing.
I found two mistakes, hopefully there are not more, check the Cox link for official list.
Cox PHX Channel Line Up Effective April 1, 2010, Switched Digital Video (SVD) is noted by an asterisk * : http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...hoenixarea.pdf
Here are 5 images showing the current list of channels only available with SDV.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #2357 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Newbie
 
jimest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Central Ohio with Time Warner I get the message "You do not subscribe to this channel" a lot. Then after a few seconds the message goes away and the picture comes on, it is annoying to say the least.

Jim
jimest is offline  
post #2358 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Member
 
texaslabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimest View Post

In Central Ohio with Time Warner I get the message "You do not subscribe to this channel" a lot. Then after a few seconds the message goes away and the picture comes on, it is annoying to say the least.

Jim

I get the same in Austin with Time Warner. Seems to be a software issue with the Moxi itself in which it doesn't wait long enough after a channel change before displaying that message for a few seconds. I don't have any such issues with my Tivo, though infrequently the Tivo will fail to tune to an SDV channel at all and must be manually "re-tuned" to get it to come in (the Moxi gets these too, and in those cases, the Moxi will stay on the 'you are not subscribed' message for up to a full minute so the issue is universal and thus probably a head-end issue). At least the Moxi will eventually re-try and get the channel on its own (important for scheduled recordings!), whereas the Tivo will sit on that black screen forever until manually attended to. It's this specific issue that actually pushed me to Moxi after I had a string of unlucky failure-to-tune-resulting-in-missed-wife's-recordings. I was actually ridiculed by the Tivo-fanatics over on tivocommunity for suggesting that Tivo should put some sort of re-try algorithm in the tuning function to address this issue (as Moxi has done). LOL freaks.
texaslabrat is offline  
post #2359 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Member
 
texaslabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post


One thing to keep in mind, If the addition of EPIX SD and EPIX HD on SDV is any indication. Future HD additions might also be on SDV. Also, if the testing of HBO2E on SDV on channel 870 is any indication, It might suggest either the moving of some HBO channels to SDV or the addition of HD versions of HBO on SDV.

That's exactly what has happened here in Austin (the SDV capital of the universe). After the initial "moves" of channels to SDV, everything has basically stayed put for the most part. But as new HD channels are added to the line-up they are going strictly on SDV. To my knowledge there have been zero HD channels added to the normal broadcast linear feed in the last 2 years.
texaslabrat is offline  
post #2360 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Member
 
pghyndman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut shoreline
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

To recap: I have Moxi 3-Tuner. Only three weeks old. Yesterday, with just Live TV, Moxi froze. I had to do a Reset. Over 10 mins. went by with "Moxi Checking Hard Drive." After reboot, all recorded programs were gone, and the Network Icons next to channel numbers in TV Guide were gone.

I called Customer Support, of course. They are always nice. They always tell you they will forward report to the engineers. Hearing back from engineers takes time, of course.

But more importantly, I was told: During reboot, if Moxi detects a problem with the hard drive, Moxi will attempt to fix the problem. During this fix, it is very common (if not always expected) recorded programs will be lost.

Not very comforting, is it? (What I take from this: One should watch their recorded programs as soon as possible just in case of a hard drive hiccup. Yeah, I know. Most of the time one's Moxi hard drive will not arrive with problems. But now there are two users, me and someone from 3/6 who have posted lost recorded programs after reboot the first week of March.)


Upon returning home last evening we discovered the same plight... a frozen Moxi, with no response from any of the remote actions. Rebooting resulted in a 20 - 30 minute hard drive check and then an apparantly normal startup sequence. Recordings were wiped out (though "deleted programs" folder is populated), and Network icons were missing (they are present on the Mate this morning, but I've not yet checked the Moxi).

Earlier in the day, when viewing recorded material, we experienced pixilation of a few segments (parts of the image deteriorated).

Our setup is a simple 3 tuner Moxi and single mated linked via Cat 6, and we have opted to not yet attach an external drive (keeping things far simpler for the test drive.)

Other than this brief brain-fart, we love the Moxi/Mate system (we have had our DVR baptism via years of Sony HDD 500s ownership... with their notably persnickety TVGoS interface, so a mild burp now and then is not earth-shattering).

I submitted this info to Moxi support.

PS: On a side note, we were among the Sony SXRD (class-action) owners to receive a spanking new KDL-55HX701, which arrived Friday. WooHoo... what a sweet addition to the Moxi!
pghyndman is offline  
post #2361 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
PedjaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cary, NC (Raleigh/Durham area)
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

That's exactly what has happened here in Austin (the SDV capital of the universe). After the initial "moves" of channels to SDV, everything has basically stayed put for the most part. But as new HD channels are added to the line-up they are going strictly on SDV. To my knowledge there have been zero HD channels added to the normal broadcast linear feed in the last 2 years.

Same here in Carolina. Last couple of years, each and every new HD channel has been on SDV.
PedjaR is online now  
post #2362 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Newbie
 
LTVF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix Metro, Az
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


After careful consideration, I have decided to put my Moxi purchase on hold, for now. My decision is based on both the Moxi itself and my current cable provider's configuration using Switched Digital Video (SDV) on 95 channels (including most of the Variety Tier, most of the Bonus pak, All of the Faith & Values Tier, Most of the Latino Tier and several HD movie channels including EPIX SD & HD,

I agree with you Bryan_CoxPHX, I have been on the fence for some time now in reference to purchasing a Moxi due to SDV. I am also in AZ, Mesa. I currently have a cablecard in my TV, have had for serveral years and have noticed the steady loss of channels. This April's shift to SDV was an eye opener.

We rented a DVR from Cox for the Olympics and have had it since. Can't pull the remote from my wife's hand!

I have read this thread end to end and the Moxi sounds like the DVR for us. Hopefully an IP solution for these SDV issues will be enabled by Cox and Moxi soon.

The grief I'd get from my family and the fact that unfortunately my trees only bear oranges and grapefruit equals a hold for now on this one.
LTVF is offline  
post #2363 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
RayChuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, California USA
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's these problems with Switched Digital Video and the fact the Comcast customer support in northern California giving me a blank stare (figuratively) about using a Moxi HD DVR with the Comcast-supplied M-Card CableCARD that--alas!--made me turn down buying a Moxi HD DVR in favor of a TiVo HD XL DVR.

The Moxi HD sounds like a fantastic device, but those issues were something I was not willing to deal with.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
RayChuang is offline  
post #2364 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bryan_CoxPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

HPhase, after I lost all my recordings, I reported it to Moxi. They had the engineers access my Moxi's logs remotely. Bad hard drive. They sent a replacement unit. I urge you to let Moxi know that all of your recordings were gone after a reset. I was told if Moxi detects a hard drive problem during a reset, all recordings will vanish. If its a minor hard drive problem, there is a chance the issue will be corrected during the reset. If it is a serious issue, you need a new Moxi hard drive. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTVF View Post

I agree with you Bryan_CoxPHX, I have been on the fence for some time now in reference to purchasing a Moxi due to SDV. I am also in AZ, Mesa. I currently have a cablecard in my TV, have had for serveral years and have noticed the steady loss of channels. This April's shift to SDV was an eye opener.

We rented a DVR from Cox for the Olympics and have had it since. Can't pull the remote from my wife's hand!

I have read this thread end to end and the Moxi sounds like the DVR for us. Hopefully an IP solution for these SDV issues will be enabled by Cox and Moxi soon.

The grief I'd get from my family and the fact that unfortunately my trees only bear oranges and grapefruit equals a hold for now on this one.

The Moxi Hard Drive issues seem to be too common...FIX IT.
Moxi, gear up now to implement functionality of the Ethernet port to communicate upstream via IP to tune SDV channels, so you are not attempting to play catch-up when it is implemented. Could not VOD also use IP communication to access that content?

Cable Co's could save a few bucks on IP SDV tuning, by not having to hand out free Tuning Adapters.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bryan_CoxPHX is offline  
post #2365 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

It's these problems with Switched Digital Video and the fact the Comcast customer support in northern California giving me a blank stare (figuratively) about using a Moxi HD DVR with the Comcast-supplied M-Card CableCARD that--alas!--made me turn down buying a Moxi HD DVR in favor of a TiVo HD XL DVR.

Well that makes no sense. Any issue you have with SDV and card will be the same (possibly worse) with any TiVo.


VisionOn is offline  
post #2366 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Operon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Demand DisplayPort. Kill HDMI!
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

It's these problems with Switched Digital Video and the fact the Comcast customer support in northern California giving me a blank stare (figuratively) about using a Moxi HD DVR with the Comcast-supplied M-Card CableCARD that--alas!--made me turn down buying a Moxi HD DVR in favor of a TiVo HD XL DVR.

The Moxi HD sounds like a fantastic device, but those issues were something I was not willing to deal with.


Quite frankly, it'll be up to the cable companies to implement IP communication to the head end. I'm hoping that the FCC's rule, which is fairly clear regarding time tables for the implementing IP-based protocols, will stand as is and won't get mucked around with by our wise and humble Congressional Committee members. The Republican FCC commissioners seem to be preoccupied (as well as having their heads up their arses) with issues of Net Neutrality, so I'm hoping the "mumbo jumbo" about cable cards and IP will get a pass. Still, one can't rule out the Cable Companies themselves crying like poor, defenseless sheep, when they most assuredly will testify in front of the Congressional Committee. Time to get out our pens to write to the committee in support of this matter.

JF
Operon is offline  
post #2367 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Member
 
texaslabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Well that makes no sense. Any issue you have with SDV and card will be the same (possibly worse) with any TiVo.

Exactly. As I documented previously, my SDV issues were in fact worse with Tivo than with Moxi overall. Moxi has more "cosmetic" SDV issues which are self-resolving without user input...Tivo has "you get to hear the wife complain because Tivo didn't record her show due to an SDV hiccup" issues.
texaslabrat is offline  
post #2368 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Member
 
texaslabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Quite frankly, it'll be up to the cable companies to implement IP communication to the head end. I'm hoping that the FCC's rule, which is fairly clear regarding time tables for the implementing IP-based protocols, will stand as is and won't get mucked around with by our wise and humble Congressional Committee members. The Republican FCC commissioners seem to be preoccupied (as well as having their heads up their arses) with issues of Net Neutrality, so I'm hoping the "mumbo jumbo" about cable cards and IP will get a pass. Still, one can't rule out the Cable Companies themselves crying like poor, defenseless sheep, when they most assuredly will testify in front of the Congressional Committee. Time to get out our pens to write to the committee in support of this matter.

JF

+1. On the bright side, the FCC doesn't need any new legislation to enforce the SDV-IP thing (though I suppose the cable companies could try to sue the FCC to stop it, which would probably delay it if nothing else). Even if they don't get the gateway device pushed through in the near future, I'd be happy and content with the SDV-IP part of the equation in conjunction with my CE devices (Moxi among them).
texaslabrat is offline  
post #2369 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

I did not insert the images into this post, due to it's length, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at what your missing.
Cox PHX Channel Line Up Effective April 1, 2010, Switched Digital Video (SVD) is noted by an asterisk * : http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...hoenixarea.pdf
Here are 5 images showing the current list of channels only available with SDV.

I am with Cox SD. We don't have any SDV yet, but it's coming. We have a new Passport Echo IPG being introduced this month or next, and a multi-room DVR with a new NDS IPG coming this summer. I really want a 3-tuner DVR, but until Cisco/SA releases a tuning adapter that doesn't render the third tuner impotent, my main reason for not abandoning a leased DVR remains. I will continue to urge Cox to lease me TWO DVRs, and only charge me one monthly service fee (in essence, a 4-tuner DVR.)
domino92024 is offline  
post #2370 of 6304 Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
PedjaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cary, NC (Raleigh/Durham area)
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

+1. On the bright side, the FCC doesn't need any new legislation to enforce the SDV-IP thing (though I suppose the cable companies could try to sue the FCC to stop it, which would probably delay it if nothing else). Even if they don't get the gateway device pushed through in the near future, I'd be happy and content with the SDV-IP part of the equation in conjunction with my CE devices (Moxi among them).

SDV-IP would look a lot nicer (no extra tuning adapter box), and should not have 2-tuner limit like Cisco tuning adapters.
However, this situation is not like cable cards - it is unfeasable to force households to have broadband internet in order to watch TV, so FCC can not force cable companies to use IP as their own method of SDV communication (cable cards basically work fine now, for the most parts, most likely because they have to be in the new boxes that cable companies supply to customers). FCC can force cable companies to support SDV-IP for the third-party use, but then they will do it with about as much enthusiasm as they did with tuning adapters, and probably with similar results. What I am afraid of is the situation where the cable company boxes using current implementation of SDV communication tune SDV channels more reliably then the third party ones using IP. From some anecdotal evidence, that seems to be the case now, at least with Time Warner and their Cisco tuning adapters. If that's the case, cable company boxes would continue to have an unfair advantage.
PedjaR is online now  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off