Moxi HD DVR - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2431 of 6278 Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone go from a TiVo HD/Series 3 to a 3 tuner Moxi? If so, how was the transition? I am very interested in making the switch for the extra tuner and true multi room functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post

I get between 37 and 38 consistently. I do not get any freezes at all, and the FIOS tech tested my signal at 100%. Perhaps you have a HD issue that some have reported on this thread.

I did have that HD issue with one piece of firmware but this was something different. Most of the time the picture was fine but every once in a while it would hickup and the Moxi would reboot. Never had it happen again after the attenuators were put in...
post #2433 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d View Post

Hey gang,

After being severely underwhelmed with the new TiVo Premiere, I am seriously looking at Moxi to replace my THD. The one possible deal breaker is the lack of any info on replacing the internal HDD. I've done some searching around but I am not able to find anything reasonable or recent that explains if there is a working method or not. I am not interested in additional external drives as I am trying to keep the number of devices limited in my living room (there are already way too many). Plus, I don't want any additional heat/noise/power cords. Anyone successfully imaged one of these things onto a larger drive?

This could be an area where Moxi can stick it to TiVO... i.e. have a clear path for upgrading the internal drive. They already seem way beyond everyone else in supporting pretty much all external drives (whereas others MUST pair only certain drives).

Yes, only the geekiest may avail themselves of this option, BUT a lot of geeks I know have a lot of pals who are not. They tend to look and see what the geek does... so they nay never have any intention of swapping an internal drive, but JUST because their geek friend thinks that a deciding factor, the non-geek would tend to go along.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #2434 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Okay then, one question. Notwithstanding the fact that I'll be dead and buried before FIOS reaches my neighborhood of northern Manhattan, why is Verizon building out their network with fiber to the residence's D mark? Hey, the TWC network here is quite robust (read no SDV) but I'm chomping at the bit to get all that FIOS can offer including the first real competition to the cable company monopoly on providing television service. [BTW, the presumptive IP to the head end mandate will give me VOD to the Moxi but that's irrelevant to bandwidth issues.]

North or south of Columbia (I'm south)? BTW, our head end is capable of using SDV (it's actually enabled) but there seem to be no plans just yet. I figure we are maybe a dozen channels from them needing to use SDV... and that assumption is based on them NOT killing any of the 30-35 or so analog channels remaining.

post #2435 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Yes, and if I was an investor in said company maybe I would gripe. Speaking strictly from an end-user's perspective, I know which system is going to give me the best performance. I don't care what the excuse is shoveled my way. And certainly Verizon could've followed suit and built out their system using cheaper technology. But they didn't. Why? Perhaps, future looking management? I don't know. And Verizon isn't the only ISP worldwide that has taken the same path. Why is it this country which invented the Internet now lags embarrassingly behind countries a fraction of its wealth in providing robust data service to its citizenry? It just makes me wonder. I just picture a bunch of suits clucking and flapping about, squawking "Well, we can't do fiber. No, no, no!" And when FIOS finally makes a significant penetration in Manhattan you'll see a price/service war that hasn't been seen in years. If I was a service provider in Verizon's turf using these God-awful tuning adapters, I have cause for concern. And, I might add, I don't think FIOS, at least in these neck of the woods, is marketed particularly well.

The really curious thing is TWC in our market is largely fiber based... they did the "rip out the copper, run fiber" thing a decade ago. It was that "last mile" where they stopped (literally I know my connection is fiber to about 100 feet from my building, the rest is copper).

IF they had started a decade ago to slowly run that "last mile" in glass, they'd have a lot of the city covered with fiber to the home.

As for the marketing, therein lies what I see as a major issue. Every day, I see tons of TV ads for FiOS. My "guesstimate" is that 75-80% of them who see the ads can NOT get service. DUMB. They should have gotten to at least a 65% wired before dumping the millions in advertising.

post #2436 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

Is this program supposed to work properly? When I try to use it from MOXI the video (such as YouTube) hangs up every second or two.

You need to examine the chain from the Internet to your Moxi... what speeds are each part of it capable of. Start with the Internet part... are you 10Mb/s (cable rates can vary quiet a bit, plus they seem to have slightly cheaper, slower tiers) cable or 3Mb/s DSL (again, this can vary a LOT from 1.5 to as much as 7)?

post #2437 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Works fine for me. You should make sure it's up to date and your network is performing correctly.

Yeah working good for me as well. Watched a Amazon VOD rental the other day with it...was flawless.
post #2438 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Maybe it's my Vista computer? The connection to the moxi is direct ethernet cable from the router. The ISP connection is supposed to be 10Mb/s for which I am paying $10/month extra. Besides, YouTube etc. play just fine on the computer.
post #2439 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is this program supposed to work properly? When I try to use it from MOXI the video (such as YouTube) hangs up every second or two.

I had a problem with playing Hulu via Playon. It would connect but would not play the video. I currently use Playon on Windows 7. It turned out there was a patch/update to address the issue. I would recommend that you check and update the PlayOn if you have problems.

Quote:

Anyone go from a TiVo HD/Series 3 to a 3 tuner Moxi? If so, how was the transition? I am very interested in making the switch for the extra tuner and true multi room functionality.

I think several of us here transition from a Tivo to a Moxi 3T. I know cuicca loves his decision to go from Tivo to Moxi. I moved from TivoHD and it works fine. I do not use OTA or Tivotogo so that did not bother me those options are no longer available. OTOH, I love the multiroom streaming feature.
post #2440 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

The really curious thing is TWC in our market is largely fiber based... they did the "rip out the copper, run fiber" thing a decade ago. It was that "last mile" where they stopped (literally I know my connection is fiber to about 100 feet from my building, the rest is copper).

Hi Riverside_Guy,

North of Columbia unless you mean the medical school, in which case, south. You are exactly right that they're running fiber between the head ends, the last mile, which in our case generally ends up being ~500 M, is copper. There really isn't a need to use SDV... at least not yet. And I'm glad for that.

Quote:

IF they had started a decade ago to slowly run that "last mile" in glass, they'd have a lot of the city covered with fiber to the home.

Yes, but you have to admit that they were amazingly quick in converting all of Manhattan and its aging, rabbit warren substructure. Though, I bet TWC is making a killing with their ISP service. And I know of a number of people who have dumped Verizon's voice service opting for TWC's Triple Play or ditched land land service altogether. I bet some bean counters were quick to figure out the wisdom of a rapid conversion. So, to those apologists saying, "You can't rip out old infrastructure." Well, yes, you can.

Quote:

As for the marketing, therein lies what I see as a major issue. Every day, I see tons of TV ads for FiOS. My "guesstimate" is that 75-80% of them who see the ads can NOT get service. DUMB. They should have gotten to at least a 65% wired before dumping the millions in advertising.

New York has always been a weird market for TWC. A lot of affluent first adopters mixed with people you can't afford cable basic.

Yeah, and the presumptive "dumb" cable guy in those FIOS commercials..., I kinda feel sorry for him. Not that the telco people appear to be any smarter. Or maybe I'm sentimental for those halcyon days when Ma Bell wore neat uniforms and appeared to know what they were doing. Every time Verizon is in the building I pepper them with questions abuot FIOS. Their answer is always the same: "It's coming soon." Yeah, right.

I do sorta miss the lack of VOD when I dumped TWC's boxes and their monthly fees. That's why I'm jazzed about the FCC CableCard mandate vis-a-vie IP. I can't imagine the cable companies laying down on this one. They'll whine and whimper, dropping crocodile tears on the shoulders of Congress. Comcast just won a huge court decision regarding Net Neutrality. Maybe, they'll turn their efforts to fending off Net Neutrality legislation that's surely coming down the pike and won't bother their pretty little heads with mandates of IP to the head end.

JF
post #2441 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

This could be an area where Moxi can stick it to TiVO... i.e. have a clear path for upgrading the internal drive. They already seem way beyond everyone else in supporting pretty much all external drives (whereas others MUST pair only certain drives).

Yes, only the geekiest may avail themselves of this option, BUT a lot of geeks I know have a lot of pals who are not. They tend to look and see what the geek does... so they nay never have any intention of swapping an internal drive, but JUST because their geek friend thinks that a deciding factor, the non-geek would tend to go along.

I sure hope so. Upgrading my TiVo drive and taking periodic backups is cake. I would love to see that on Moxi as well. For all I know the same tools will work. I just need to get my hands on a disk image from a Moxi 3T so I can experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

I think several of us here transition from a Tivo to a Moxi 3T. I know cuicca loves his decision to go from Tivo to Moxi. I moved from TivoHD and it works fine. I do not use OTA or Tivotogo so that did not bother me those options are no longer available. OTOH, I love the multiroom streaming feature.

Thanks for the encouragement =) I did use TivoToGO to transfer stuff onto my PMP for workouts and plane rides so that's a slight bummer. Is there no way anyone has found to transfer recordings off the device?
post #2442 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Just got FIOS hooked up. Finally, finally, my Moxi is working the way it was intended to. Picture is sharp, channel changing is faster because the tuner can lock on channels faster. No more pixelation. To bad everyone can't have FIOS. So happy to have dumped cablevision.
post #2443 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM

I would like to make a software suggestion to Moxi.

One fabulous thing ReplayTV has is the ability to press a number on the remote followed by the Skip button. The recorded program will then skip that many minutes ahead.

I know Moxi has the ability to change the Skip time in the settings, but it is rather inconvenient to have to go to the Settings menu to do it.

I like 30 second commercial skip, but sometimes I want 3 minute commercial skip. It would be nice if I could just press 3+Skip to skip ahead 3 minutes and not have to change the settings.

Thank you.
post #2444 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I like 30 second commercial skip, but sometimes I want 3 minute commercial skip. It would be nice if I could just press 3+Skip to skip ahead 3 minutes and not have to change the settings.

I've encountered that situation too. I use the 3 minute but sometimes want a minute skip temporarily.

One other thing I would like is the replay having the same options as skip. 15 seconds just isn't long enough for me. I'd rather have it at 30 seconds.

post #2445 of 6278 Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I've encountered that situation too. I use the 3 minute but sometimes want a minute skip temporarily.

One other thing I would like is the replay having the same options as skip. 15 seconds just isn't long enough for me. I'd rather have it at 30 seconds.

I forgot to add that ReplayTV also has this desired feature in its software for their Replay button. For example: if you press 5+Replay, the recording will instantly rewind 5 minutes. All numbers+Replay work (assuming you have that much time to reverse to, of course).

But, as we all know, ReplayTV only has one tuner, and it is an analog tuner only. So Moxi is way better. I just wish Moxi engineers would add this feature.
post #2446 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:

multi-room streaming is what sold me too! And to think I almost bought a Tivo premiere! My wife laughed at me when I ordered it, she "loves" her TivoHD, Now she wants me to get a Moxi for her to replace the tivo
post #2447 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Hi,
Want to order a 3 tuner Moxi in the next day or so. New to the thread. I'm a Comcast NJ customer. Can anyone tell me if I need anything else for the Moxi to work in my area, ie. tuning adapter, dongle, etc.? Thanks.
post #2448 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM

1st full weeks impression - Great!

Picture has been excellent except Charter has had some signal issues this week according to their help line.

PlayOn with both Netfilx and Hulu has worked very well except for one video on Netflix, I am still trying to figure that one out.

I hate not having commercial advance that my RTV's had, oh well, but I like the UI.

Not being able to record from a Mate sucks but I'm dealing with it by buying another 3T Moxi (we needed the extra tuners anyway) and reconfiguring my layout. The 2 main TV's will get the DVR's and be able to record. This way I can move one of the Mates down to the 2nd spare bedroom.

Suggestions:
As stated by other's I'd like to see more control of skips ala the RTV. I did create some custom buttons on my Harmony One to help replicate the RTV.

Direct control of the Moxi via the network would be a huge +. Perfect for an iPad app.

Dave
post #2449 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sure hope so. Upgrading my TiVo drive and taking periodic backups is cake. I would love to see that on Moxi as well. For all I know the same tools will work. I just need to get my hands on a disk image from a Moxi 3T so I can experiment.

I can get a image but I have a feeling it will be 500GB large since it was full when I backed it up. I am waiting for Texasalabrat to get his Moxi so he can get a virgin Moxi image. It should be small.. I am think it will be less than 1GB
post #2450 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I can get a image but I have a feeling it will be 500GB large since it was full when I backed it up. I am waiting for Texasalabrat to get his Moxi so he can get a virgin Moxi image. It should be small.. I am think it will be less than 1GB

I think it will be much smaller than that. And really, without being able to look at the file sizes, one cannot really tell. I'm guessing that the partition will pretty much take up the entire disk.
post #2451 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Awesome! Let me know. I would love to bang on it to see if it can be figured out. It should also be noted that the image will be 500 GB to start with when you use a sector based imaging solution. Some type of file level compression will be needed to compress the white space.
post #2452 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Comcast hasn't yet implemented SDV in any of their markets where it would requires use of a Tuning Adapter.
post #2453 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoxiGuy View Post

Comcast hasn't yet implemented SDV in any of their markets where it would requires use of a Tuning Adapter.

"hasn't yet" being the key words here. MoxiGuy: Any discussion at Moxi to look into Tuning SDV via upstream IP, If/When it is implimented?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2454 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post

Sorry if this was gone over before but I used the search and couldn't find this particular question.

Question - If you have 3 shows recording on a 3 tuner Moxi:

Can you schedule a recording on another 3 tuner Moxi from the Moxi with all the tuners full, or can you watch live TV if the other 3 tuner Moxi has a tuner open?

Thanks

I'm thinking of adding another 3 tuner and pairing my 2 Mates one with each Moxi. I guess there was a reason I ended up with 5 RTV's.

Dave

Yes you can. You would simply navigate to the Media Link card on the Moxi menu and select the other DVR and choose a program to view.
post #2455 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:

When there are multiple episodes of a program recorded, I want to watch the oldest one first. I can not imagine any reason that someone would want to watch the most recent one first. However, to get to the oldest one you have to scroll down thru all the newer versions to get to it.

I HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A SOFTWARE CHANGE: Have the oldest episode highlighted first, instead of the newest one. That would sure save a lot of unnecessary button pushes.

Thanks for the suggestion and will forward to our product development team
post #2456 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post

It's these problems with Switched Digital Video and the fact the Comcast customer support in northern California giving me a blank stare (figuratively) about using a Moxi HD DVR with the Comcast-supplied M-Card CableCARD that--alas!--made me turn down buying a Moxi HD DVR in favor of a TiVo HD XL DVR.

The Moxi HD sounds like a fantastic device, but those issues were something I was not willing to deal with.

Ray - According to our information Comcast has yet to implement SDV in any of their markets that would require you to use a Tuning Adapter to receive a channel.
post #2457 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post

If I am watching a recorded program, and then exit before it is finished, can I resume where I left off? I can't figure out how to do this.

Absolutely. When you return to finish the program, you could either simply navigate to the show in the the Recorded TV folder and select Play on your remote or select OK on the remote and then Resume.
post #2458 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM

@TheMoxiGuy - I don't suppose you could register an undercover nickname on here and slip us some info to help figure out how to upgrade the internal drive

J/K... kinda
post #2459 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hopefully MoxiGuy will be back soon, 20+ days between visits and then very selective with answers, He actually answered the same question twice.
Comcast no SDV, Yet. Is anyone else a bit let down?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2460 of 6278 Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoxiGuy View Post

And if they fear the FCC (Yeah, right!), they will hold off TAs altogether and start developing IP-based solutions to SDV and VOD.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page