Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new MOXI 500GB HD-DVR is now on sale for $799 at amazon.com today. Finally you can own your own Moxi with it's award winning interface (now in HD widescreen). It looks awesome, and sounds tempting, but $799 is a bit much.

Amazon.com

Moxi HD-DVR Page

Discuss please. Anyone going to give this a shot? Looks like it could give Tivo a run for it's money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does it work with SDV via a tuning resolver. That would be nice since there are a bunch of SDV areas.
post #3 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Moxi box is finally here!!! Montly fees for cable rentals(boxes/remotes), tivo rental/subsctiptions fees, etc. can finally be thing of the past.

Hal-la-luya! Hal-la-luya! Hal-la-luya!

It only took the FCC 10 years. That's pretty good for them.

It's shortcomings for me include, but are not limited to:
Needs more than 2 terabytes storage expansion - ability to offload copy freely content to computer - ability to offload encrypted recordings to a personal replacement/additional Moxi/Moxi-like DVR box - multiply picture in picture feature - abiltiy to pause/restart recordings(ie edit out commecials on manaul recordings) - variable length commericial skip - multiple rewind/forward speed settings - an OTA tuner - tru2way cablecard - remove the fine print saying ..."future services and features may be subject to additional fees". Some optional services ok, of course, but a solid EPG should be lifetime at this price.

This is a good start though, and if I could, I'd surely support this product.
post #4 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There are also plans for a tru2way version.
post #5 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This product also doesn't support OTA or Satellite. This will probably be a deal breaker for many people who rely on OTA.
post #6 of 6298 Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

This will probably be a deal breaker for many people who rely on OTA.

Agreed.

That seems like a pretty significant oversight to me. They must be trying to sell this box to cable companies, because I can't see any other justification for the absence of OTA support.
post #7 of 6298 Old 12-12-2008, 06:17 AM

Doesn't look like it can share shows between multiple units.
post #8 of 6298 Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have a Moxi HD yet?
post #9 of 6298 Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

Looks like it could give Tivo a run for it's
money.

Why?

You can get a HD Tivo with a Lifetime subscription for less than the Moxi - and a much bigger fan base.

If there was an IEEE 1394 port as required on cableboxes, it would have picked up a few more buyers - but not enough for critical mass.

No reason for this device at this time.
post #10 of 6298 Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

As of right now they haven't officially announced this product as being released. It sounds like it's supposed to happen during CES since they have a press conference scheduled for Thursday at noon.

If you check the CES webpage it actually says they are announcing TWO products. Maybe this announcement will include some explanation as to how that price is justified as well.
post #11 of 6298 Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post

Doesn't look like it can share shows between multiple units.

The retail Moxi is going to have a Moxi Mate released for multi room viewing this year. They have the mate on display at CES right now.
post #12 of 6298 Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohallik View Post

The retail Moxi is going to have a Moxi Mate released for multi room viewing this year. They have the mate on display at CES right now.

Any one at CES want to wander over and look?

Was there a timeframe or indication of pricing for the Moxi Mate? That's a deal maker as I already have distributed sharing in place.
post #13 of 6298 Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohallik View Post

But the Moxi Mate doesn't support HD, right?
post #14 of 6298 Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Anyone out there taken the plunge?
post #15 of 6298 Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 193
At this price in this economy? Don't see any takers here.
post #16 of 6298 Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm42 View Post

Any one at CES want to wander over and look?

Was there a timeframe or indication of pricing for the Moxi Mate? That's a deal maker as I already have distributed sharing in place.

They didn't have a booth at CES, but I did hit their press conference and had a private briefing. They also had a small presence in the Monster booth, who has plans to release a co-branded product this summer, which I also hit. Info and a dozen photos here:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-01/...ivo-with-moxi/

They haven't provided timing info on the Moxi Mate extender (or support for the SDV tuner adapter).

I've been pushing to get my hands on a unit since December, but their PR agency doesn't seem too motivated to get Digeo coverage. Though I hear review units have started trickling out now... 3 months after initial availability. Regardless, I agree with slowbiscuit - $800 in this climate is a bitter pill.

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread. Was doing some research tonight and saw this question with not much followup, so I wanted to chime in.
post #17 of 6298 Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I notice they redid their web site.

I am still very surprised at their decision to pass on ATSC support. Most tuners and demodulators support both ATSC and QAM, so you'd think they'd add that capability to the software.
post #18 of 6298 Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

II am still very surprised at their decision to pass on ATSC support. Most tuners and demodulators support both ATSC and QAM, so you'd think they'd add that capability to the software.

Yeah, I don't get that move either. In their minds, they seem to think this simplifies the messaging - it's a 'premium cable DVR'. But why drop off ATSC functionality if it costs nothing or next to nothing. Ben Drawbaugh (Engadget/HD) was with me at the press conference asking them the same thing.

Though the biggest sticking point is still cost. Especially since we don't know how well this company is doing. An $800 DVR without guide data one day perhaps isn't very useful. That's one of the things I kinda like about the OTA DISH DTVPal DVR. It's rough around the edges (records by time slot, limited guide, ugly), but you can function without EVER talking to a mothership.
post #19 of 6298 Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just noticed the Moxi Challenge which states you can put the Moxi HD DVR to work for 30 days. If you don't agree it's the best HD DVR on the market, send it back , no questions asked. Sounds like a decent offer, but not having an ATSC is a deal breaker for me.
post #20 of 6298 Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 193
Seems pretty sad that no one on an A/V enthusiast forum like this will admit to taking a chance on this unit. And that there are no reviews of shipping units out there comparing it to the Tivo HD (that I've seen).

Does not bode well for Digeo at this point, but I guess it's still early.
post #21 of 6298 Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Seems pretty sad that no one on an A/V enthusiast forum like this will admit to taking a chance on this unit. And that there are no reviews of shipping units out there comparing it to the Tivo HD (that I've seen).

Does not bode well for Digeo at this point, but I guess it's still early.

I agree...it does not bode well for Diego.
post #22 of 6298 Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Well, I just now found out about this. I have had two Moxi boxes in the past and I liked them way more than the box TW uses now.

The problem was, both units started overheating and died.

I've emailed Moxi for some info about what they've done about this problem. I read somewhere on the web that the new units have an audible fan.

I'd also be curious as to how well it streams 1080p content from a PC. I was trying to do that through my ps3 but didn't get it working right.

Dave
post #23 of 6298 Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post

I've been pushing to get my hands on a unit since December, but their PR agency doesn't seem too motivated to get Digeo coverage.

FYI My review unit just arrived. Unfortunately, I've got a pretty packed weekend and then 8 days on the road for work. But here's 15 pics to get you started while the questions pile up.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-04/...-in-the-flesh/

post #24 of 6298 Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm very interested in this box, especially after they announced DLNA support. I've got several things that are holding me back.

1)Will the guide go away if Moxi does? Moxi should answer this. In principle they could cut a deal with the guide provider to maintain it given their business model.

2) Is the hard drive user replaceable in case of Moxi not being around. I.e. if my hard disk dies in 5 years, will I be able to get it fixed if Moxi goes under in two?

If the answer is:
1) No, the provider of the guide provides the service and will honor the lifetime and
2) Yes, you just have to use the internal formatting routine on sub-menu 20 or so, but it will kill your warranty,then I would be OK.
3) Last step would be to see if the local FIOS supprots multistream cards (M-cards), if not, I'm screwed, otherwise I'll be ready to buy one.

Ken Elliott
post #25 of 6298 Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliot View Post

1)Will the guide go away if Moxi does? Moxi should answer this. In principle they could cut a deal with the guide provider to maintain it given their business model.

Moxi uses Tribune guide data. They license the Tribune guide data (just like TiVo) and deliver it to each box using their own Internet servers (just like TiVo).

With TiVo, many customers are still on monthly or yearly subscription plans, so there's a strong incentive for another company to take over their customer list, should they ever go out of business. This is what happened when ReplayTV closed shop; another company took over the monthly, yearly, and lifetime subscribers.

If Moxi ever goes out of business, some company could purchase the customer base and offer monthly or yearly service, but don't expect it to be free. A commercial license for guide data costs about $20/yr (wholesale) per DVR, but that does not include the support infrastructure (servers, etc) to deliver the data in a format the DVR can accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliot View Post

2) Is the hard drive user replaceable in case of Moxi not being around. I.e. if my hard disk dies in 5 years, will I be able to get it fixed if Moxi goes under in two?

It may not be possible now, but I suspect it will be before long, as people experiment with drive upgrades.
post #26 of 6298 Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

On a whim I ordered this unit today and expect it tomorrow.

I'll post again when I've had a chance to play with it.
post #27 of 6298 Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Moxi uses Tribune guide data. They license the Tribune guide data (just like TiVo) and deliver it to each box using their own Internet servers (just like TiVo).

I expect Digeo will make their next model Tru2way compatible. As I understand it, one feature of Tru2way is that the user can switch between the box vendor's interface and the cable company's interface. If Digeo goes out of business and the cable guide becomes unavailable, a Tru2way user could then select the cable company's interface, which presumably would include the cable company's guide data. One would give up the polished interface, but at least the box would still be usable.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #28 of 6298 Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

I expect Digeo will make their next model Tru2way compatible.

I think it'll be a long while before you see a *retail* tru2way DVR.
post #29 of 6298 Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

I expect Digeo will make their next model Tru2way compatible. As I understand it, one feature of Tru2way is that the user can switch between the box vendor's interface and the cable company's interface. If Digeo goes out of business and the cable guide becomes unavailable, a Tru2way user could then select the cable company's interface, which presumably would include the cable company's guide data. One would give up the polished interface, but at least the box would still be usable.

Such a capability is not expected on any box for some time. All true2way products expected in the next 12-18 months will only support the cable company's OCAP STB/DVR software.
post #30 of 6298 Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Just received my Moxi. I'm on FIOS and have not yet received the M-card. I should have it some time next week.

Thus far I've set up the unit for just the broadcast HD channels.

I think this is flat out the best looking guide, from both a functional and aesthetic standpoint, I've yet seen. BTW, I've seen some people say the unit doesn't have dual buffers...it does...or at least in the way it's currently configured in my setup.

Also, kudos to Moxi tech support. You actually get knowledgeable, friendly people who pick up the phone quickly.

So, so far so good, but the cc will be the true test.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page