Setting Up an 8300HDC and a Western Digital 500GB eSata Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Time Warner cable guy was here a few weeks ago and suggested I get an external hard drive to supplement the capacity of my 8300HDC Dvr box. He said that although Time Warner doesn't currently support it, the eSATA port was active and would work. He kindly told me the steps to follow setting it up. But like a dummy I didn't write anything down.

So off to Best Buy me goes and buys a Western Digital MyBook 500GB eSATA drive, and an eSATA cable. Tonight I attempted to get the thing working, first by having the hard drive hooked and fired up, then powering up the Cable Box. The cable box powered up fine, but didn't ask me if I wanted to format the drive and the total storage used indicator still showed the same result as before I installed it. Then I tried unplugging the hard drive, then plugging it back in. I got a message that read Bad Hard Drive, press A or C to continue. Problem was that message locked up the remote.

Can anyone spare this old man the idiot proof step by steps for this to work? Sorry to use valuable forum time on such a primitive issue.

~they call me ronbo~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
bd1

if you still need it, try this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=516559
post #3 of 4 Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM

The thread is for the 8300HD. You state that you have an 8300HDC. I have not tried mine yet, but all discussion indicates that the HDC version will not support an external drive. The SATA port is not active.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Duffy View Post

The thread is for the 8300HD. You state that you have an 8300HDC. I have not tried mine yet, but all discussion indicates that the HDC version will not support an external drive. The SATA port is not active.

You are correct. The 8300HD supports external hard drives. The 8300HDC and newer 8240HDC DO NOT have external hard drive support activated even though they have the esata port (believe it or not).

If anyone wants to have a external hard drive on their Scientific Atlanta box, request a 8300HD box. BTW - I'm using a 1TB Western Digital green drive and it works perfectly. I'm using it in my own hard drive enclosure which has a esata connection.
Reply HDTV Recorders