Question about Panasonic PV-HD1000 Digital VCR - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
HDTV Recorders > Question about Panasonic PV-HD1000 Digital VCR
Eric_1's Avatar Eric_1 12:57 AM 01-21-2002
Hi, I am new to HDTV and any help will be appreciated. With the help of a friend, I think I can get my hands on a Panasonic PV-HD1000 Digital VCR and a TU-DST51 Digital TV decoder. I am in the process of building my first HT and I think I will get DishTV for HD programs. I would like to know I if can record HDTV programs off the dish with the above set up. Do I need anything else? Is it possible at all? TIA.

Eric

DSperber's Avatar DSperber 05:15 AM 01-21-2002
If you want to record with the DST51 and PV-HD1000, you'll need
to also acquire (1) a Dish 5000 reciever, and (2) a Dish HDTV
Modulator.

See another thread in this group for more details:

Dish 5000 vs. 6000

The DST51 and PV-HD1000 can be used separately to record
DTV/HDTV from off-air local channel input (from your roof antenna)
but to record from Dish-HD you'll need the above equipment.
Eric_1's Avatar Eric_1 11:24 AM 01-21-2002
Thanks for the info. However, I will be subscribing to DirectTV instead of DishTV. Will the setup you described work with DirectTV too?
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 11:38 AM 01-21-2002
Moving to HDTV Recording.
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 11:49 AM 01-21-2002
To answer the question, no, there is no way to record digital DirecTV HDTV.

Some members have the Dish 5000 w/HD Modulator that is set up for ExpressVu, a Canadian DBS company. When EVU has HDNet programming from DirecTV, it can be recorded that way. Unfortunately, this has been problematic due to a non-standard HDTV signal that EVU uses for the HDNet re-transmission.

There are also the W-VHS units from JVC. They record the analog HDTV signal and analog l/r stereo audio.

For more info, see recent topics here in HDTV Recording.
Techsa1's Avatar Techsa1 11:20 PM 01-21-2002
"Some members have the Dish 5000 w/HD Modulator that is set up for ExpressVu, a Canadian DBS company. When EVU has HDNet programming from DirecTV, it can be recorded that way. Unfortunately, this has been problematic due to a non-standard HDTV signal that EVU uses for the HDNet re-transmission."

Ken,

Can you please elaborate on how a 5000 can be setup for EVU. Also, is it working or is it touch and go due to non-standard issues depending on what is being broadcast?

Thanks,
David
Up
Mobile  Desktop