post #3001 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

My replacement unit has had multiple reboots and occasionally splits recordings into multiple pieces. Two days ago it announced it had found new services 52-1 and 52-2 which is WNJT which is a very faint signal where I am. I made the mistake of entering 52 on the remote and the unit immediately locked up and had to be unplugged to get it running again.

When that happened on a weak signal of mine, I just hit channel up and within 10 seconds the channel changed. I then blocked the weak channel. No lockup or reboot.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

That theory was bandied about a few pages back but then debunked when the poster found that the unit didn't reboot the 4th time playing through the "problem" point.

That was me -- I had it happen 3 times during one spot in one recording. Didn't do it the 4th time, for whatever reason.
post #3003 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Last week we heard from an experienced technician who proposed that there are two or more issues causing reboots. I agree. My set is a single issue apparently, has had reboots but never a freeze and does not care about the quality of the station's signal. It will attempt to tune in stations with zero signal strength and not reboot or cause any problem. I could not discern a pattern of any kind to reboots except that most occurred in the morning hours.

My set has not rebooted in four days, a record. It is operating, I dare say, perfectly. The only change which took the DVR from reboot death spiral to faultless operation was marrying it to the television by plugging both into the same receptacle which is not controlled by a wall switch. To repeat, the DVR and television are now plugged into the same three port adapter which in turn is plugged into a single receptacle. This strongly indicates that rf noise was the source of the original problem. The noise might be coming from the antenna amplifier or some other source, I don't know and may never know. Somehow, the television is protecting the DVR from this problem, maybe through a common mode effect or some other mechanism which is grounding out the problem noise. I know this is wild guesswork but one thing is clear, changing the location of the power plug made an immediate and possibly lasting effect to the good.

The poster who suggested that a ferrite be experimentally applied to the coax is thinking along the same lines as me. I will be looking at doing some of these things as soon as the chokes are received. As it stands now I don't need to but that is not what it is about.
post #3004 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

DM2006RI-

How did your machine act on the 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th pass over the "problem" spot?
post #3005 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 View Post

.......As of now my replacement unit is working well, its been working so well that I even dumped cable. But this is only the start of week 3 I think!

BTW the FW is 201.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy2 View Post

Just joined the reboot/update tvgos club. Watching recorded show, taping 2 others. After update, which I didn't stop, both shows continued recording, but split into 2 parts each. 1 minute lost. No freeze, but I left my remote alone. Have not called Echo. I doubt that a replacement would solve probem. Bought from SolidS* Has anyone disabled update of tvgos?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotok View Post

I received my original unit on 12/23. I had a few reboots and a freeze or two in the first couple of days then it ran with no problems for about a week. Then for some reason it started to reboot frequently (5 times or more a day).

I received a replacement unit on 2/3. It reboots on average about 1-2 times a day but I've not yet had it freeze up. It has never gone more than a couple of days without a reboot.

I'm undecided whether to try for a third unit. I wonder if they are just rebagging the returns and sending them back out. I don't see how they can be repairing them since they don't know what the problem is. Since the problem is random, it would probably pass any of their factory tests. I doubt that the replacements are new units since they ship alone without the accessories. I worry that I'll get a worse unit than I already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

My replacement unit has had multiple reboots and occasionally splits recordings into multiple pieces. Two days ago it announced it had found new services 52-1 and 52-2 which is WNJT which is a very faint signal where I am. I made the mistake of entering 52 on the remote and the unit immediately locked up and had to be unplugged to get it running again.

So it seems that the replacement units are subject to the same "some work well, some don't" scenario we have seen with the original purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telrod11 View Post

There are a few of us out here with little to no problems (knock on wood). I have had mine since 12-29, and have had 1 lockup in that time....
We love it....

And I believe sivartk is happy with his as well (should I even mention pabeader???? )

Bob
post #3006 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post

Last week we heard from an experienced technician who proposed that there are two or more issues causing reboots. I agree.......

Yep\\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlofgr View Post

Being a technician for more than 35 years, I have to say, this problem has the smell of at least two different issues.

And\\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsPops View Post

Which would be???

He never did answer to articulate those theories.

Bob
post #3007 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

The 70-1 is because you added a channel instead of doing a complete rescan. In OKC we had this problem since 9-1 was broadcasting on 39-1 then moved the digital to 9-1. Since 9-1 was already accounted for the DTVpal resigned it 70-1. PBS on 13-1 was assigned to 71. A compete rescan resolved the issue and all channels work correctly.

Signal strength is about the same as before on all channels but PBS is now fixed since it's no longer right next to the CW anymore. I had some adjacent channel issues prior to the switchover.

I actually did to a complete rescan and still got the 70-1 instead of 9-1. Therefore, I then did a factory reset, partly because I heard others now getting the TVGOS after a factory reset. However, after the complete rescan again, it's still calling it 70-1. So I don't know what's going on with it. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than a different name for the channel. I did a rescan on my actual TV too and it still calls it 9.1 so it's something the DTVPal DVR is doing to change that channel number.

I'm still not seeing TVGOS either. I just think my CBS affiliate isn't broadcasting it. I can't get them to respond to emails either.
post #3008 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found the Radio Shack ferrite Snap Choke Core EMI/RFI filters (Model 273-069) that have been discussed at my local bricks and mortar store. Cost was $2.99 plus tax for a pack of 2. I had printed out a page from Radio Shack's website to hand to the clerk at RS which was good because they had them hidden in a drawer of miscellaneous parts. So my plan is to install one on the power cord and one on the coax coming in to the unit. Also I will burn some incense as a previous poster advised and chant "RFI begone! RFI begone!" several times to bring good karma to the installation. Also I will do a factory reset.
post #3009 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becat View Post

I'm surprised no one has posted on the digital switch-over and how it may have changed things with the DtvPal DVR. Anyone seeing any changes? I know many markets didn't actually switch over but I'm sure plenty did. My market switched over. I'm not seeing any differences in signal strength so far. I'm already over 90 on most my stations so strength isn't a concern.

I am noticing that PSIP data that I only get seems to be populating a little better. Also, for some reason one of my channels has changed it's number. It use to be 009-01 and now it is 070-01. Strange.

Just curious what others may be seeing who have markets that made the switch.

Of the two stations in my DMA that switched. One, the local CW station, is displaying a static image (I.E. If you are seeing this, your set is not ready for digital....bla...bla), the other, the local FOX station, is running a looping bilingual video about how to set up a converter box.

As far as my DVR...nothing different that I can see.

Bob
post #3010 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymonkey View Post

I don't know if any of you have noticed this similarity or not. As you know, there really has been no solid pattern these reboots have been following, but mine seems to be having some similarities. When I playback recorded shows, the DVR will reboot at the same point in the recording. After the unit reboots, I hit resume, it then starts to play back a few seconds before it rebooted last time, then it hits the same spot and reboots again. I'm wondering if the software is dumping corrupted information to the drive. I really want to pull the drive and run spinrite on it to rule out any hardware issues, but don't want to ruin my warranty if there is a major recall. Reboots do seem to be coming closer together now, sometimes 4-5 in one 1/2 hour show.
Anyone else seeing reboots triggered at the same point in a recording?

My machine does the opposite. It never reboots when I go over the same spot where it rebooted before. I regularly go 2 weeks without a reboot, and then I'll get 2 reboots when watching a one hour show. After rebooting I back up a minute or so before the reboot spot to check for some kind of stream corruption. I never see anything (other than what I'm supposed to see )
post #3011 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Feature Request:
Have future models include a Coaxial Audio Out aka SP/DIF.

I can't understand why manufacturers don't include Coaxial Audio out (SP/DIF) for digital audio out. It's electrically IDENTICAL to Optical out (TOSlink). All they have to do is stick a RCA jack on the back and wire it to the same place on the board as the Optical connection. I can't tell you how many devices I've had to hack for this! Optical does not SPLIT nicely, the signal levels plummete horribly. So for those of us with limited numbers of digital inputs on their receivers, or a LOT of devices with digital audio (I currently have SIX digital audio devices!), coaxial digital is GREAT because you can split it with a 50 cent splitter, and as long as the "competing" devices are switched off via macros when you change sources with something like a harmony, there is no loss! No downside! I only have 1 coaxial audio input on my receiver, but I'm running 4 devices off it and it works great! Other receivers friends have had (lower end devices) ONLY have coaxial audio in! It's an easy as heck hack most of the time to add a coax audio out, so the manufacturers really should be doing this..
post #3012 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.P. Wily View Post

My machine does the opposite. It never reboots when I go over the same spot where it rebooted before. I regularly go 2 weeks without a reboot, and then I'll get 2 reboots when watching a one hour show. After rebooting I back up a minute or so before the reboot spot to check for some kind of stream corruption. I never see anything (other than what I'm supposed to see )

Oh well, another theory shot down lol.

One thing that seems to help me is after the reboots get annoying (multiple in an hour) I will do a factory reset, rescan my channels and all is relatively fine for a few days (minimal reboots). Now I don't know if this is just because there are no timers set, or not.....I'm sooooo confussssssssed!
post #3013 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks for the updates.

And I believe sivartk is happy with his as well (should I even mention pabeader???? )

What's not to be happy about. Other than a few bugs with the way it handles NULL guide data (I.e. it doesn't remove the previous shows description when the current show is null) I've had no problems. My reboot count is still at zero after resetting it at the beginning of January.

I feel for you guys having problems and I would have probably given up by now if I was having the same issues.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3014 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrisn View Post

I liked this idea, but took it a step further. In addition to placing the ferrite on the power cord, I thought, what else could be causing EFI? The only other possible cause could be the antenna itself.

I am currently using a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 amplified antenna. I have had this well over a year and it works great. I thought this may be a good source of interference as well. Has anyone thought about trying a ferrite on the coax into the box?

So far, I have had no reboots today even while recording multiple shows simultaneously and watching a 3rd. I had been getting several re-boots prior to this.

Here is my theory. There are many sources of noise in digital circuits. Almost all devices that use digital logic have clock generators that are used to shift data through registers. These clock generators typically are very noisy creating what is sometimes called grass because of how it looks on an oscilloscope. They are very fast rise time spikes. This noise is radiated if the device does not have good filtering and shielding. Now what happens to other devices in the area (like the DTVPal DVR) is the power cord (or other cables that have parallel conductors) act like an antenna and pick up the spikes (RFI). These spikes if not filtered out can get through the power supply and ride on the logic voltage and trigger gates and registers when they are not supposed to be. This can cause the processor to reboot because of an illegal event.
The power cord is the most susceptible to picking up the RFI because it is not shielded. Coax, like the antenna or audio and video cables are less susceptible because they are shielded. Also Ethernet cable is UTP (unshielded twisted pair) and is what is called balanced. Noise picked up on the UTP conductors is canceled because of the twisted balanced pair. So typically you don't need to put a RFI filter choke on Ethernet cable. Now it may be helpful to put it on HDMI cable if your using cheap HDMI cable that is not shielded.
Anyway I counted twenty three digital devices in my house, from microwave oven to two PCs, VCRs, DVD players, TV monitors, and even clock radios. It's now been ten days since I choked my DTV Pal DVR power cord and no reboots. I had previously been getting between 1-3 reboots per day. I'm not saying this is the absolute cause of reboots, there may be many. But so far it is working for me.
post #3015 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by s73v3 View Post

It's now been ten days since I choked my DTV Pal DVR power cord and no reboots. I had previously been getting between 1-3 reboots per day. I'm not saying this is the absolute cause of reboots, there may be many. But so far it is working for me.

Are you willing to run the experiement of taking off the choke (without unplugging the device) and seeing if the reboots return?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3016 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

The power cord is the most susceptible to picking up the RFI because it is not shielded.

Along with this, here's a short thread in another forum that talks about the "prodigious RF" emitted by Panasonic plasma TVs... don't even have to be in same room! May be of interest to some?

|
|
|
post #3017 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Here is my theory. There are many sources of noise in digital circuits. Almost all devices that use digital logic have clock generators that are used to shift data through registers. These clock generators typically are very noisy creating what is sometimes called “grass” because of how it looks on an oscilloscope. They are very fast rise time spikes. This noise is radiated if the device does not have good filtering and shielding. Now what happens to other devices in the area (like the DTVPal DVR) is the power cord (or other cables that have parallel conductors) act like an antenna and pick up the spikes (RFI). These spikes if not filtered out can get through the power supply and ride on the logic voltage and trigger gates and registers when they are not supposed to be. This can cause the processor to reboot because of an illegal event.
The power cord is the most susceptible to picking up the RFI because it is not shielded. Coax, like the antenna or audio and video cables are less susceptible because they are shielded. Also Ethernet cable is UTP (unshielded twisted pair) and is what is called “balanced”. Noise picked up on the UTP conductors is canceled because of the twisted balanced pair. So typically you don’t need to put a RFI filter choke on Ethernet cable. Now it may be helpful to put it on HDMI cable if your using cheap HDMI cable that is not shielded.
Anyway I counted twenty three digital devices in my house, from microwave oven to two PCs, VCRs, DVD players, TV monitors, and even clock radios. It’s now been ten days since I “choked” my DTV Pal DVR power cord and no reboots. I had previously been getting between 1-3 reboots per day. I’m not saying this is the absolute cause of reboots, there may be many. But so far it is working for me.

Please remember that I am NO A/V'ophile, but this sounds very plausible to me as ONE of the possible causes. I already posted about believing this is "normal" behavior (the reboots and lockups) for software developers now days as a way to handle buggy code that encounters buffer overruns and infinite loops.

Anyway, my question is this. Would the RF levels be fairly constant given any specific scenario? Meaning, if I always have these three or four devices on at this time of the day, would the same time tomorrow with the same devices on result in the same level of RF noise? Or are there other factors like digital TV or radio transmissions from outside the home that we can't control that can affect the levels?

TYIA

Bob
post #3018 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41

So, wajo - You gonna buy one of these?
post #3019 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Are you willing to run the experiment of taking off the choke (without unplugging the device) and seeing if the reboots return?

Yes. I do plan to take it off to see if the reboots come back. But I was going to wait until next week. This week the weather has been fairly mild in my neck of the woods. I want to go through a storm first to see if that has any affect. This weekend it is supposed to get nasty.

Also, if my theory is correct about the power cord acting as an antenna for the RFI, just moving the cord may have an affect (like moving your rabbit ears). So I don't want to touch it for another week. Then the fun begins.

You guys that have had success by plugging it in to another location may have just found the "sweet spot" where there is minimal reception of bad stuff. If my experiment works out, "choking" the power cord will be a "sweet" fix.
post #3020 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The DTVPal DVR does have an EMI filter. You can see the inductor and capacitors that make up this filter in pictures of the circuit board. The job of this filter is to keep the significant RF noise generated by the switching power supply from getting onto the power line. It of course works the other way as well.
post #3021 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Please remember that I am NO A/V'ophile, but this sounds very plausible to me as ONE of the possible causes. I already posted about believing this is "normal" behavior (the reboots and lockups) for software developers now days as a way to handle buggy code that encounters buffer overruns and infinite loops.

Anyway, my question is this. Would the RF levels be fairly constant given any specific scenario? Meaning, if I always have these three or four devices on at this time of the day, would the same time tomorrow with the same devices on result in the same level of RF noise? Or are there other factors like digital TV or radio transmissions from outside the home that we can't control that can affect the levels?

TYIA

I think what may be happening is that all these devices that are emitting RFI noise are not synchronous. So sometimes the several spikes will occur simultaneously and be additive. So I think the effects will not be predictable and occur random-like. Also I think external factors from outside the home would be minimal. The RFI radiation decreases by the square of the distance and were not talking about huge signals. It may get picked up by house wiring though.
post #3022 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I think what may be happening is that all these devices that are emitting RFI noise are not synchronous. So sometimes the several spikes will occur simultaneously and be additive. So I think the effects will not be predictable and occur random-like. Also I think external factors from outside the home would be minimal. The RFI radiation decreases by the square of the distance and were not talking about huge signals. It may get picked up by house wiring though.

As a bystander (and a consumer of electronic goods) I think that none of this should be a factor in an electronic device that is properly designed, has quality parts, and is properly assembled and tested BEFORE being offered to the consumer.
post #3023 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by becat View Post

I actually did to a complete rescan and still got the 70-1 instead of 9-1. Therefore, I then did a factory reset, partly because I heard others now getting the TVGOS after a factory reset. However, after the complete rescan again, it's still calling it 70-1. So I don't know what's going on with it. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than a different name for the channel. I did a rescan on my actual TV too and it still calls it 9.1 so it's something the DTVPal DVR is doing to change that channel number.

I'm still not seeing TVGOS either. I just think my CBS affiliate isn't broadcasting it. I can't get them to respond to emails either.

Are you in the OKC market? If so KWTV doesn't broadcast TVGOS data to the best of my knowledge.
post #3024 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr View Post

As a bystander (and a consumer of electronic goods) I think that none of this should be a factor in an electronic device that is properly designed, has quality parts, and is properly assembled and tested BEFORE being offered to the consumer.

I agree. I still think it has something to do with PSIP\\TVGOS and, or reception.
Mine logged a reboot overnight while in standbye, during a severe thunderstorm -
very heavy rain and high wind. It was the first reboot logged in weeks,
the last time being during an ice storm.
Edit: Of course the storms could have caused fluxuations in the power too.
post #3025 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

So, wajo - You gonna buy one of these?

Nope. I'm an extremely happer camper with what I've got!

|
|
|
post #3026 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post

Feature Request:
Have future models include a Coaxial Audio Out aka SP/DIF.

I can't understand why manufacturers don't include Coaxial Audio out (SP/DIF) for digital audio out. It's electrically IDENTICAL to Optical out (TOSlink). All they have to do is stick a RCA jack on the back and wire it to the same place on the board as the Optical connection. I can't tell you how many devices I've had to hack for this! Optical does not SPLIT nicely, the signal levels plummete horribly. So for those of us with limited numbers of digital inputs on their receivers, or a LOT of devices with digital audio (I currently have SIX digital audio devices!), coaxial digital is GREAT because you can split it with a 50 cent splitter, and as long as the "competing" devices are switched off via macros when you change sources with something like a harmony, there is no loss! No downside! I only have 1 coaxial audio input on my receiver, but I'm running 4 devices off it and it works great! Other receivers friends have had (lower end devices) ONLY have coaxial audio in! It's an easy as heck hack most of the time to add a coax audio out, so the manufacturers really should be doing this..

I too wish more devices had both types of outputs. My Denon has 2 of each type of input, I'm running my CD player through the analog inputs, DVD and DTVpal use the optical. TV uses the SP/DIF output, my other SP/DIF is unused.
post #3027 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Called tech support today concerning reboots. I had a number of reboots when I first got the unit. They first suggested plugging it straight into the wall. That seemed to have fixed the problem until 2 nights ago when the unit rebooted 6 times in 3 hours. Last night was fine.

The tech said that they are very aware of the issue and are confident the next software release should fix the problem. I guess we'll all just wait and see!

And no..... No ETA on the release.
post #3028 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is my theory. There are many sources of noise in digital circuits. Almost all devices that use digital logic have clock generators that are used to shift data through registers. These clock generators typically are very noisy creating what is sometimes called grass because of how it looks on an oscilloscope. They are very fast rise time spikes. This noise is radiated if the device does not have good filtering and shielding. Now what happens to other devices in the area (like the DTVPal DVR) is the power cord (or other cables that have parallel conductors) act like an antenna and pick up the spikes (RFI). These spikes if not filtered out can get through the power supply and ride on the logic voltage and trigger gates and registers when they are not supposed to be. This can cause the processor to reboot because of an illegal event.
The power cord is the most susceptible to picking up the RFI because it is not shielded. Coax, like the antenna or audio and video cables are less susceptible because they are shielded. Also Ethernet cable is UTP (unshielded twisted pair) and is what is called balanced. Noise picked up on the UTP conductors is canceled because of the twisted balanced pair. So typically you don't need to put a RFI filter choke on Ethernet cable. Now it may be helpful to put it on HDMI cable if your using cheap HDMI cable that is not shielded.
Anyway I counted twenty three digital devices in my house, from microwave oven to two PCs, VCRs, DVD players, TV monitors, and even clock radios. It's now been ten days since I choked my DTV Pal DVR power cord and no reboots. I had previously been getting between 1-3 reboots per day. I'm not saying this is the absolute cause of reboots, there may be many. But so far it is working for me.

Keep in mind also the house wiring is basically and extension cord to the DTVpal's power cord. All RFI picked up by the house wiring is sent down the DTVpal's power cord. My Monster surge protector is supposed to have RFI suppression but I'm not sure how effective it is.
post #3029 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwerth View Post

Called tech support today concerning reboots. I had a number of reboots when I first got the unit. They first suggested plugging it straight into the wall. That seemed to have fixed the problem until 2 nights ago when the unit rebooted 6 times in 3 hours. Last night was fine.

The tech said that they are very aware of the issue and are confident the next software release should fix the problem. I guess we'll all just wait and see!

And no..... No ETA on the release.

Hopefully the inability to set a manual M-F timer will be addressed also. The odd thing is mine used to work until I had to rescan the channels for the DTV switchover, now I just get an error message when trying to set a M-F timer.
post #3030 of 18360 Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Measurement of rfi could be done with the right equipment and an experienced operator. I guess the power line could be checked with a coupler and an oscilloscope. The air could be scanned with a field strength meter and scope. It would be tricky and might not yield much because the problems appear to be intermittant. One nitpick about the statement:

Quote:

The RFI radiation decreases by the square of the distance and were not talking about huge signals. It may get picked up by house wiring though

Power decreases by the inverse square but it is the amplitude of the field which causes the problem. Field strength is related to the inverse square root of the distance. For example, at twice the distance the field is determined through dividing by the square root of 2. Far field only.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page