post #4531 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccsup View Post

I was able to set the remote to control the Visio with the device code scan, it was one the first codes that came up.

Mine has been hooked up since Thursday, no problems yet. Disconnected the cable box and sitting by the door ready for return to the cable company with my order to disconnect.

Try Lucky Goldstar (LG's old name) it works as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Could someone tell me if I can use this product with a set of rabbit ears and hdmi between HDTV and Pal while TV is also hooked up to a 522 via s-video? This TV is also hooked up to a VIP722 in another room via component. I'm thinking that in order to record locals with the Pal I would have to select the TV's hdmi hookup. If that is the case, would I still be able to record on the 522 at the same time off the satellite tuner (i.e. record USA not local)? I am also assuming that the TV stays on channel 3 for both the 522 and the Pal. If the Pal has to be on the local channel, then I would think this cannot be done. Sorry if I made this complicated. Thanks.
post #4533 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by foxy2
I guess I've joined the F206 lockup. Had unit almost 3 mos and just a few reboots when I was doing some recording/ playing a recording/rewind procedure. Updated with USB and have had several remote freezes. Had to unplug, and try all various combo to get to remote response area. Used procedure similar to one in #8 comment. It worked the last 2 time. I have a RA# from dish (unit came from "solid signal") I don't see too many comments about failure since workaround found. I don't see improvement unless complaints made to dish, and units returned. (I'm paying shipping cost). Do you all think a f206 software problem, as I do?
Foxy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

That is exactly why I haven't upgraded mine. I'm still at F201 and haven't had a single lockup or reboot. Sure there are some new features that would be nice, but not worth the chance. 5 months with no issues, I'm not pressing my luck.

Since January with F202, I had no lockups or reboots. Last week, I updated to F206 and have had 2 lockups since then. I wish i could reinstall F202 but have read that can't be done.
post #4534 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by getrid View Post

(...) I wish i could reinstall F202 but have read that can't be done.

Try doing it with USB. I've been wondering about that myself (though I've had no problems with F206).
post #4535 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM

I need another converter box and decide to try the DTVPal since I already have the Plus. The website wouldn't let me order because I already owned a "DTVPal." So I called Dish, I was half way through ordering and the guy asks for my Social Security Number.

After I questioned it, he said he could just use the last four numbers. Then he said, no, he needed the whole thing. I cancelled and hung up.

Has anyone had this happen?

I've done a lot of on line ordering. I've never had anyone ask me for this.

Susie
post #4536 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
make up a number.

I suspect its on their order screen so they can run credit checks for their other service. But since you're paying for this outright what difference would it make?
post #4537 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Thanks jerrisn! Going to try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrisn View Post

I use the Next Generation Remote Control Extender and it works great. I only have one DTVPal DVR and we watch TV from mulitple rooms. I installed this with the DVR in the basement and use the remote in the bedrooms and family room for watching TV. It's actually on sale this week and Amazon is the cheapest and includes free shipping.

post #4538 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post
That is correct, ProsPops. It may be possible that TVGOS is the source of the problem, but I just find the fact it started right after I did my F206 upgrade too compelling.

bfdtv, I read this with interest as it is my other sore spot with this unit. I've been talking to users of other TVGOS-enabled devices in my area and they report all 24 digital OTA channels in my area are available on TVGOS, yet the DTVpal DVR only shows just 10 of them.

I'm still trying to deduce what is happening, but this is what my analysis shows to date:

- all "-1" channels in the host station's market have data
- all subchannels for the host station itself have data
- all subchannels in the host station's market other than the host station itself DO NOT have data
- all channels outside of the host station's market DO NOT have data

I'd be curious if others getting TVGOS but missing data follow this pattern or not.
I did a channel scan and this is what I found. It does not totally fit your pattern but it is very close.

Channels 14 and 16 are sister stations with their offices in Dayton, 16 is located in Dayton and 14 is located in Oxford so I am not sure what market 14 is considered.

\t\t
Attachment 140827

data.pdf 21.5078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf data.pdf (21.5 KB, 1 views)
post #4539 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post

I have learned that in TVGOS, there is a concept of channel ON and OFF. Some channels default to ON, some OFF (I guess to keep data transfer minimized ??).

With analog the decision to display a channel in TVGOS is made in the receiving (customer) unit.

When you think about it if the station does not send it you can't receive it. Unless they can figure it out from your zip code how would the DVR know which channels are local and which are in another market but still in TVGOS. The communication is a one way broadcast. The DVR can't request data for the stations it wants all it can do is ignore what it does not want to display.
post #4540 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz44 View Post

Could someone tell me if I can use this product with a set of rabbit ears and hdmi between HDTV and Pal while TV is also hooked up to a 522 via s-video? This TV is also hooked up to a VIP722 in another room via component. I'm thinking that in order to record locals with the Pal I would have to select the TV's hdmi hookup. If that is the case, would I still be able to record on the 522 at the same time off the satellite tuner (i.e. record USA not local)? I am also assuming that the TV stays on channel 3 for both the 522 and the Pal. If the Pal has to be on the local channel, then I would think this cannot be done. Sorry if I made this complicated. Thanks.

The PAL DVR uses the TV to display menus and play back recordings. It does not need a TV to record, just a signal input so you can connect the 522 to one input (say component) and the Pal DVR to another (say HDMI). If you must try to connect via the RF input to your TV you will need a combiner and just to be on the safe side I would set the output on one to channel 4 and the other to channel 3. If you use HDMI and component inputs it does not matter what channel the TV is tuned to.
post #4541 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

With analog the decision to display a channel in TVGOS is made in the receiving (customer) unit.

When you think about it if the station does not send it you can't receive it. Unless they can figure it out from your zip code how would the DVR know which channels are local and which are in another market but still in TVGOS. The communication is a one way broadcast. The DVR can't request data for the stations it wants all it can do is ignore what it does not want to display.

The Sony unit that the poster referred to has a much more advanced software that uses TVGOS data. It has the ability to turn off the TVGOS listing for a specific station while still being able to tune the station. Then again, it also had name based recording

What I can't figure out (I had both at the same time for a while) is why the Sony unit would pull neighboring network data and the DTVPal wouldn't. The only thing I can figure is that the Sony was receiving data for the analog station (it could do both) and using that data on the digital version of the channel. Since the DTVPal doesn't have an analog tuner, it is restricted to digital data.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #4542 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got an NAD DVD player, and the manual does not list any NAD codes (except for TV's and they don't work). Am I out of luck?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #4543 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Okay, so I received mine tonight. It came from solidsignal.com, I ordered on the 21st.

As I was hoping, the picture quality on 720p channels is more crisp through the Pal DVR than my tv's internal tuner (panasonic plasma px80u). Big relief for me! I was really expecting that. 1080i channels are pretty much identical through the Pal and the tv's internal tuner.

However, I already need help with what I think should be a simple thing to do. I am familiar with these dish remotes and receivers since I had a vip222 receiver just last year. But the Pal is not changing the aspect ratios the same as my satellite box did.

Here is my problem:

I want SD (480i) channels to always be stretched. Pressing "page up" (SD aspect button) to stretch a SD channel will ONLY work when HD is set to "auto". The problem is when I change channels the SD stretch does not stick. The info banner lists SD aspect as "stretch" but displays the image in "normal" (with correct aspect and black side bars).

Furthermore, the stretch mode will stick for SD channels when I press "page down" (HD aspect button). But that messes up the aspect for my HD channels. So basically, to achieve my end I have to press the "page up" or "zoom" button each time I switch between SD and HD channels (a real pain).

My HD output is set to 1080i 16x9 (via HDMI)
SD output is 4x3 ( I have changed this to 16x9 to see if it would make a difference.)

Any ideas? Please help!! I'll be glad to give more info if needed. I never had a problem like this with my vip222 box last year. There must be something I'm doing wrong.
post #4544 of 18294 Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

Thanks - I had two screens of HDMI info as well in F202. Just an oddity. Maybe will unplug the cable and plug it back in next chance i get and see what happens. So far, no harm no foul , though.

I tried this and it didn't work. The info was blank.

I tried to change the resolution in setup mode (down graded from 1080i to something) and TV went into same weird mode the computer monitor does when it won't display the correct mode. Must be a timeout on the dvr (like the PC) when in a mode that the PC wont display, it just times out an returns the previous mode.

Jim
post #4545 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgomoney View Post

Okay, so I received mine tonight. It came from solidsignal.com, I ordered on the 21st.

As I was hoping, the picture quality on 720p channels is more crisp through the Pal DVR than my tv's internal tuner (panasonic plasma px80u). Big relief for me! I was really expecting that. 1080i channels are pretty much identical through the Pal and the tv's internal tuner.

However, I already need help with what I think should be a simple thing to do. I am familiar with these dish remotes and receivers since I had a vip222 receiver just last year. But the Pal is not changing the aspect ratios the same as my satellite box did.

Here is my problem:

I want SD (480i) channels to always be stretched. Pressing "page up" (SD aspect button) to stretch a SD channel will ONLY work when HD is set to "auto". The problem is when I change channels the SD stretch does not stick. The info banner lists SD aspect as "stretch" but displays the image in "normal" (with correct aspect and black side bars).

Furthermore, the stretch mode will stick for SD channels when I press "page down" (HD aspect button). But that messes up the aspect for my HD channels. So basically, to achieve my end I have to press the "page up" or "zoom" button each time I switch between SD and HD channels (a real pain).

My HD output is set to 1080i 16x9 (via HDMI)
SD output is 4x3 ( I have changed this to 16x9 to see if it would make a difference.)

Any ideas? Please help!! I'll be glad to give more info if needed. I never had a problem like this with my vip222 box last year. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

The SD stretch is for the RF / composite OUTPUT only, and the HD stretch is for component / HDMI output.
There is no way to set the stretch setting for SD or HD channels.
post #4546 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 AM

I hope Dish adds the features to watch/download movies and stream youtube. Would be cool Kinda boring just watching whats on lol..
post #4547 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen98311 View Post

The SD stretch is for the RF / composite OUTPUT only, and the HD stretch is for component / HDMI output.

Oh well, no biggie. After messing around with it last night for a while I figured that would be the conclusion. Thanks for the confirmation.

Besides this one small issue. I am VERY pleased with the functionality of the Pal and was very impressed how fast and full the guide populated upon setup. But hey, I had no future program guide whatsoever with the tv's built in tuner, so it feels like a made a GIANT leap in that regard .
post #4548 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

"No cable"? "Fail"?

Rhetorical question: How many people who are in great difficulty with making their rent or mortgage payments are, even so, forking out important amounts of money each month for cable or satellite?

Most people view Pay TV as a utility, just like electricity or water. few know the ways of free HDTV, but more are learning
post #4549 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen98311 View Post

I don't necessarily agree with this.

You can change the SD stretch mode when using HDMI output. It just doesn't retain it and stay stretched after you switch channels.

Paul

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #4550 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Most people view Pay TV as a utility, just like electricity or water. few know the ways of free HDTV, but more are learning

Most people bought into the confusing HDTV-Ready/HDTV-Capable TVs pitched by the electronics salesmen as "all they needed." Those misnomers made looking for an ATSC OTA-capable TV confusing for most people. Four years ago I was determined to get one that tuned NTSC, ATSC, and QAM. I did find a 52" Mitsubishi DLP with all of the features I wanted and a lot more. I could view the un-scrambled HDTV on the cable before the other subscribers were able(after they paid to upgrade, of course). The only thing more that I would wish for, is more than ONE HDMI input port. I got a Sony receiver with 3:1 HDMI ports and thought I had it made. Now I'm "drooling" over the new Onkyo TX-SR607 with 5:1 HDMI on the rear and a 6th on the front! Maybe if I have a garage sale soon I can get one of those. I'm using a 5:1 switch to my receiver, or rather feeding the switch with my receiver since the switch won't "feed" the receiver (RMA'd one before using it to feed the TV). This really overly complicates switching between devices. It's way beyond my wife's ability/desire to turn things on. If the TV, Receiver, HDMI switch, and the desired source STB/DVR is not set "just so", she's lost. (I, too, sometimes.)
I really had a lot of fun adding the second PAL DVR yesterday(the 7th HDMI source device). I was trying to set the remotes up and I wound up with both PALs set to 4, sort of. I could get both DVRs to show system info -- channel 4 on both, but I couldn't turn either off... meanwhile the DISH 722 in ANOTHER room was responding to the PAL remotes. I came back to the beginning of this forum and found that I needed to use TWO digits for the channel on the PAL remote -- not mentioned in the DISH DVR guides. Nothing is mentioned about how to change remote control channels in the PAL DVR Guide -- another reason to watch and join this forum. I really appreciate the wealth of information shared here by people who really go out of their way to help all of us.
Wynn
post #4551 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have a similar setup. Just split your antenna cable for a many devices as you have. I have mine split into 3 outputs. 1 to TV, 1 to VIP 722 and 1 to PAL DVR. The 722 and DVR are connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV is connected directly to its antenna connection. This way I can watch TV, and record 3 separate local OTA stations. I also have the main lead from the Antenna spit 4 times to other rooms.

post #4552 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks to both WillN937 and Frank43 for your replies. Looks like it's a go for the PalDVR. Any thoughts on buying through Dish or Solid Signal. What about the warranty if purchasing through SS. Thanks
post #4553 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks to both WillN937 and Frank43 for your replies. Looks like it's a go for the PalDVR. Any thoughts on buying through Dish or Solid Signal. What about the warranty if purchasing through SS. Thanks

No tax and fast service with Solid Signal. They are probably easier to deal with as well. They won't try to process you as a DISH subscriber trying to "upgrade" a DVR with them... or be denied a sale because you bought another product from them recently -- if you've been following this thread for more than a few days.
post #4554 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM

OK, the TVGOS works for 8 days, but not on all channels, like ABC or PBS. Why?
I know that TVGOS is coming from CBS (KPIX) in San Francisco, so why is the data not available for the other S.F. channels?
post #4555 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox200 View Post

OK, the TVGOS works for 8 days, but not on all channels, like ABC or PBS. Why?
I know that TVGOS is coming from CBS (KPIX) in San Francisco, so why is the data not available for the other S.F. channels?

Likewise in Jacksonville, FL -- Only PSIP for 1 day or less for ABC and NOTHING but the callsign for PBS... plus I lost TV Guide on my Sony DVR when PBS went all-digital. The Sony has the CBS digital channel now listed as the host, but no TV Guide.
2nd DVR working okay so far. TV Guide up and record and "tricks" work fine. I'll try a few timers next.
post #4556 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post

Likewise in Jacksonville, FL -- Only PSIP for 1 day or less for ABC and NOTHING but the callsign for PBS... plus I lost TV Guide on my Sony DVR when PBS went all-digital. The Sony has the CBS digital channel now listed as the host, but no TV Guide.
2nd DVR working okay so far. TV Guide up and record and "tricks" work fine. I'll try a few timers next.

Interesting, I also have a Sony with complete 8 day data, but on an analog host. It appears the digital version of TVGOS still needs some work.
post #4557 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

I don't necessarily agree with this.

You can change the SD stretch mode when using HDMI output. It just doesn't retain it and stay stretched after you switch channels.

Paul

Indeed Paul, you can stretch the SD channel using SD stretch. The lack of retaining the stretch mode after changing channels was the issue I thought I could rectify. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like my tv's tuner or zenith converter box.
post #4558 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 AM

While using my second DVR, I've noticed a "glitch". I have the older remote set as #4 and the newer set as channel #5. Pushing the system info button for either unit brings the System Information window up on both machines. Pushing the select button for "done" clears the screen on both machines. The problem is that if the other machine was OFF, it is now ON, that is to say that the remote for one will turn ON the other machine and bring up the Sys Info page and clear it, but it won't turn the other machine OFF. I don't know if this will cause problems with recordings in progress on the other DVR?? I'll have to test that.
post #4559 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM

I have a ra# for returning the dtvpal dvr to Colorodo. I was told that a pre-paid label was to Texas, so I couldn't use that. I notice that some avs forum member have returned the unit for replacement to Texas with the pre-paid label. [b][b]Has that caused anyone a problem with the replacement? if not, I'll request the pre-paid label again.
foxy2
post #4560 of 18294 Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
My return was sent to El Paso, Tx using the prepaid label. No issues resulted.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page