The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #541 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, should have mentioned, I already checked with the engineering department of KMOV (local CBS affiliate), and they have confirmed they are already transmitting the TVGOS data as part of their digital signal.

So, my conclusion is that the data on "rabbitears" is not complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_wannabe View Post

Sorry, should have mentioned, I already checked with the engineering department of KMOV (local CBS affiliate), and they have confirmed they are already transmitting the TVGOS data as part of their digital signal.

You are probably right about that. They have my local CBS station (KOLR in Springfield, Mo) listed as having TVGOS, but I've been in touch with the station's engineer who tells me they are waiting for the equipment before they will be broadcasting TVGOS.
post #543 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs_wannabe View Post

Ok - in that case - find out the zip code of the station (63102) , use that
or,
try the one in the manual to pass TVGOS to analog devices.

You can tell if you have TVGOS data because the RED "TV Guide OnScreen" logo will be on the EPG.

I'd also be in touch with the station to help get this resolved.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #544 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone reported the issues (lockups / downloading guide info in the middle of a recording, thereby splitting the recording) to DTV? I've yet to buy the DVR - was waiting to see what kind of issues folks had - so I can't report them but wondered what kind of response people got when reporting them (the few exchanges with support I've seen in this thread are not confidence inspiring) :-).
post #545 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM

While the CBS affilitates are now transmitting the TVGOS data, I wonder if Dish is using this component from Macrovision for the software (firmware) updates?

http://www.macrovision.com/products/...te_service.htm
post #546 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

Last night while in the DVR menu, I got a message saying that the IP was lost. However, my TR50 is not hooked up to the internet. I got the message 3 times or so while navigating through my recorded shows. That's the first time I've seen this message in the 4 days I've had it.

Anyone else see this message?

That's the message I saw two times so far. I did temporarily hook it up to my router in another room so I could download F202. After the second of these messages, I was going to go into the menu and reset the connection (I had saw the reset option), but it had already been reset. Don't know if I will see the message again.

I may take the policy of updating until I see what others say about. With my Dish 625, I have no choice, it updates whenever Dish decides to update it. However, the Dish 508 give the choice of Automatic Update or Ask For Permission. I have avoided many buggy (and damaging) updates this way - they do eventually force an update, but at least in most cases, the serious bugs have been worked out until then.

I'm in no hurry to run an Ethernet cable to the DTVPal DVR (which will require running cable in the walls).
post #547 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Here's an interesting one...I scanned the guide for tonight and I pressed record for Big Bang Theory at 8pm and How I Met Your Mother right after (WCBS-2 DT-56). I tried to press record for House (WNYW-5 DT-44) and it said there was a conflict. I removed the 1st 2 timers, pressed record for House and then I was able to press record for the 2 CBS shows. Anyone have this happen??
post #548 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw390 View Post

Here's an interesting one...I scanned the guide for tonight and I pressed record for Big Bang Theory at 8pm and How I Met Your Mother right after (WCBS-2 DT-56). I tried to press record for House (WNYW-5 DT-44) and it said there was a conflict. I removed the 1st 2 timers, pressed record for House and then I was able to press record for the 2 CBS shows. Anyone have this happen??

Suggest you look through the menus for DVR configuration settings. Remove any leading time and trailing time for padding of recordings and try again.
post #549 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes, exact same shows, same issue, same resolution (maybe a page back in this thread). I tried to pad my recording of House to go to 8:01PM (CST) and it still gave me the conflict message (although I had no other recordings starting at 8PM)

Seems like something that could be fixed in the firmware. For example, if I always record 2 30 minute shows in sequence on Wednesday and a one time, one hour special comes on at the same time I won't be able to record it without canceling my weekly recordings and redoing them all

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #550 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM

A bookmark feature would be neat. I don't know if other DVR's have this or not. I don't even see a way of displaying a counter or time meter to see where in the recording you are. Feature to be used if you wanted to return to a particular spot in a recording.
post #551 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If you format the HDD, after it reboots the used entries in Daily Schedule are removed, except for any that are pending.
post #552 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

A bookmark feature would be neat. I don't know if other DVR's have this or not. I don't even see a way of displaying a counter or time meter to see where in the recording you are. Feature to be used if you wanted to return to a particular spot in a recording.

If you hit Pause during playback it shows where you are in minutes left.
You can also choose Resume in the menu for a title.
post #553 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM

First off, I am NOT an avid A/V-ophile like some of you so please keep that in mind.
I am an old school boomer raised on OTA TV…never paid for TV reception in my life…probably never will. Have used VCR’s most of my life and DVD-RW’s the last few years for my recording needs.

Now that I have had my DVR for a few days I thought some of you would like this type of perspective.

The TV is a Sony KV-34HS510 (34” 16:9 1080i capable) with the DVR hooked up via HDMI to DVI cable, separate audio. Setup was a snap. I then hooked it up to my network via network cable and did a FW update to F202 with no problem at all. I never did look at the options in F201 so I have no idea what, if anything, was different in the two versions. It could have just been a test to see if the update module works as planned.

My overall impression is that I like this box very much, and that is saying something as my DTVPal CECB was/is a very disappointing experience and I was all ready to find every little thing I could to be wrong with the DVR.
But, I am pleasantly surprised to see just how well it does what Dish claimed it would do. I have digital TVGOS in my market so my clock is spot on (we all know this was a major issue with the CECB Pal) and I have the full 7 day guide.

As an aside: I am not sure I get how you can/would disable the TVGOS on this box as has been suggested…my understanding is that if the digital TVGOS is available the DVR will use that for the guide and clock function and the option to disable the guide download is for the PSIP guide only. I believe the TVGOS download is pushed by TVGOS overnight and several times during the day and I know of no device that is TVGOS enabled that can demand a download of the TVGOS stream…that is why they tell you the unit must be off overnight to populate the guide the first time it is set up. In any case I disabled the “guide” download on my box from the start and got the TVGOS guide by the next morning, and I have never re-enabled the “guide” download yet my TVGOS guide stays up to date with 7 days of data.

The PQ (IMHO) is excellent. On my 34” HD ready set it is outstanding. The only thing I have noticed is that, when I set the output to 1080i, on actual HD broadcasts I can see a slightly purplish stripe from top to bottom running across the screen from right to left. It can only be seen when the screen is black (or very dark) like when a commercial ends or starts and it is not present when I change to 780p output. It does not affect normal TV viewing and I am thinking it may have something to do with the HDMI to DVI setup.

There is one thing I have noticed and this may be due to the HDMI to DVI cable as well but I do not know. The AUTO setting for the zoom does not appear to work when you land on a channel. It will work if you toggle through the five options and come back to Auto but not when you first tune to the channel. To try and explain: Several of the sub stations here force the picture to fit your screen (at least that is what it looks like to me because on the CECB box those channels will fill the screen and render the Picture Format button on the Pal’s remote ineffective), and on the DVR when I view those channels the 4:3 broadcast is in true 4:3 with black pillars on the sides if I have the zoom set to Auto or Normal. However, if I toggle through and back to Auto the picture then fills the screen, and if I just change channels without toggling back to Auto I see the picture expand to fill the screen just before it actually changes to the new channel. So, if it is not due to the HDMI to DVI setup, then it is a minor FW issue that can be addressed with a future update...I hope.

I have been able to set many recordings using all the different ways and all have fired just fine…all have been fully recorded and playback was superb. I have seen the same message others have seen about some of the recordings being lost due to signal loss. However, I believe this is due to padding that was applied to those specific recording events (and the padding applied to specific events is separate from those you can set in the overall recording options). When you tell the DVR to pad the recording it sees that you are recording into a different “named” event (or show if you like) and is telling you that show was not fully recorded. Every time I have seen this message it meets this scenario.
Also, it appears that even though it does not show up in the guide screen itself, early and late program start times are recognized and recordings are started to accommodate the early or late start times. I.E. Saturday Night Live begins at 11:29 and if you set the recording through the guide it actually begins on time (even if the padding is set to 0 minutes), the same is true of Letterman (it begins at 11:35).

I have not experienced any reboots has others have reported.

As I said…I like this box. It is nice to have what most other folks have had for years now with their satellite and cable service…the ability to time shift and record TV without any external storage media, and I finally get HD out of my HD ready set that cost a fortune a few years back. The TVGOS guide is great and the GUI is nice (ya know I got nothing to compare to but even so…it is nice). So, as much as I still hate the level of service offered by Dish…I believe they got it right on this DVR.

Bob
post #554 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Nice review, please follow up in a few weeks. I'm curious to see if you experience any of the lockups some have been experiencing.
I think this box was more designed around someone like you and not a real demanding user If it works well for Dish I'm hoping for a more + version. Then they'll probably call this model the Pal Classic
post #555 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

That is a nice TV you have...I keep my eye on craigslist for one, quite often. I, like you, have been pleased with the box. Having a Sony HD DVR also, I do have something to compare it to and the UI of the Sony it much nicer. But I'll give that up for a dual tuner machine.

(Sony Screen Shots)

I do like how you can see the mini-guide while the TV is playing and then change channels from there with the DTVPal DVR. Also, the signal strength is something the Sony didn't provide.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #556 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Warning: The skimpy 90 day warranty begins when you ordered the box, not when it was delivered.
When I finally got to a tech support guy, he asked how the box could be DOA when I had it since November 20th. There is nothing in their computer system to indicate these were back-ordered and that I did not get my box until Dec 23rd.

I would suggest recording your UPS tracking number in case you need warranty service.

I called at 11:31 AM and was put on hold for tech support until 11:41. At this time, the call bounced back to their operator and I was put on hold for another 10 minutes. When I finally got a tech person, he did not know how to write-up a return and had to put me on hold several times while he got more info. I finally finished around 12:15, 45 minutes total.

You have to return the unit to Englewood Colorado.
Once they receive the unit, they will verify the problem and determine if the user casued the damage. If so, they will send a letter with additional repair costs. If the unit is bad, they will send a replacement in 3-5 business days. This is their standard language. Given that the boxes are back-oredered, I really don't wxpect anything until late January.

Another thing, you have to enclose a copy of your proof of purchase. I asked the rep why since he told me that I purchased the unit on November 20 from them. They have the proof of purchase. He couldn't explain and I didn't want to stay on the phone any longer.

So:
They charged my credit card on November 20th,
Didn't deliver until Dec 23rd,
Sent a bad unit,
Required me to spend $10 to return it,
and my warranty will expire before I get a replacement.
Definitely not a good first impression of Dish.
Stan
post #557 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyboman View Post

Definitely not a good first impression of Dish.
Stan

Ouch. Sorry for your pain, but thanks for the info. Please continue to update us on the rest of your return experience (time-frames, etc) if you are able.

Did they tell you that there would be no extension to the warranty or is that a (very good) educated guess?

PSN ID: Kranin
post #558 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Not sure if any has returned there reciever yet, but I'm in the process, the follwoing is a list of my problems, most important to the least important.

1> Reciever, re-initialzes (takes 1 - 2 minutes) while watching a show, this has occured several times in the last week.

2> In the morning, occasionally completely locked up, needs to be unplugged to be reset.

3> I don't get TVGOS, and the psip data comes and goes in the guide, that is the guide will have a day of information one hour, then none the next hour.

4> Will cancel recordings, without any explanation.

I would stick with this unit if it wasn't for the re-initializing in the middle of a show, that is just rediculouse, and I hope their progammers aren't working on any Bowing 747 software.

BTW, so far I've been on the phone for hour and 15 minutes trying to return this, 3 operator transfers, and many holds, and I'm still not done... sigh.
post #559 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Known issue - do it like you did - do the overlapping recording first, then the shorter ones.

post #560 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Do you think they will add 1080p in the future?
post #561 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

High-def broadcasts are either 720p or 1080i...no 1080p

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #562 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

what avnstf said

but would be nice if they enabled 1080p VOD like they have on DISH
post #563 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyboman View Post

Another thing, you have to enclose a copy of your proof of purchase. I asked the rep why since he told me that I purchased the unit on November 20 from them. They have the proof of purchase. He couldn't explain and I didn't want to stay on the phone any longer.

I guess I better hope mine never goes bad...they just charged my card and sent me the box...no proof of purchase at all.

My Little Theater
post #564 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I guess I better hope mine never goes bad...they just charged my card and sent me the box...no proof of purchase at all.

If all else fails your credit card statement should be proof.
post #565 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, just got my dvr hooked it directly to my router which is right below it (it is working I am using it for this post and it is using DHCP). No IP address assigned when I click on the setup/broadband/Network Setup/Reset.

Any ideas, it doesn't seem to allow me to set it up manually. At the bottom of the network setup screen it says "Network Connected".

Other than that I like it so far.
post #566 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Ok, just got my dvr hooked it directly to my router which is right below it (it is working I am using it for this post and it is using DHCP). No IP address assigned when I click on the setup/broadband/Network Setup/Reset.

Any ideas, it doesn't seem to allow me to set it up manually. At the bottom of the network setup screen it says "Network Connected".

Other than that I like it so far.

Make sure you have an open DHCP address in your pool on your router. Sorry - no manual configuration of network is possible.

post #567 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Make sure you have an open DHCP address in your pool on your router. Sorry - no manual configuration of network is possible.

PITB! It shows up in my router table with an IP (matched by MAC address). I hate "smart" systems when they do not work!

Firewall settings? Doesn't seem to be, opened everything up temporarily, no go.

I had to set the time manually, EST, it was an hour behind.
post #568 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I had this happen and I assume it's because, behind the scene, Big Bang Theory was setup to record using tuner 1, then How I Met Your Mother was setup to record using tuner 2, then House didn't have an available tuner for recording. You could have done Big Bang Theory (tuner1) then House (tuner2) and then How I Met Your Mother(tuner1). This will happen whenever your setup recording for two shows following each other and then try a third which would overlap. I can only assume that because it seems the recorder starts about a minute early and goes past the end a bit, that by default, it uses different tuners when available. It would be nice if it showed which tuner was being used to record the show, then it would right in your face!
post #569 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Bob,

That is a nice TV you have...I keep my eye on craigslist for one, quite often. I, like you, have been pleased with the box. Having a Sony HD DVR also, I do have something to compare it to and the UI of the Sony it much nicer. But I'll give that up for a dual tuner machine.

(Sony Screen Shots)

I do like how you can see the mini-guide while the TV is playing and then change channels from there with the DTVPal DVR. Also, the signal strength is something the Sony didn't provide.

It was there hidden about 5 menu levels deep. The tuner was crappy in the Sony, it couldn't handle multipath at all, this DVR is way better for that.

Content search in the Sony was way better (and prettier too!)
post #570 of 18461 Old 12-29-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Question about the dual tuner capability:

I generally record blocks of 2-3 x 1hr shows that are back-to-back and on different channels. Everyone knows about the stupid games ABC plays by running their shows 1 min past the hour so I won't go into that any further. With my single tuner DVD recorder I obviously cannot pad the recording times when recording back-to-back shows.

So, I'm thinking that with the Pal DVRs 2 tuners, I should be able to schedule a string of back-to-back recordings on different channels and be able to pad the record times of each one. The recordings will overlap slightly, so the Pal DVR should just use alternate tuners for each sequential event.

Sound reasonable? Has anyone tried this, or could someone try this, and report back, please. This would be another big plus for me -- I wouldn't have to keep running to the Internet to view the last couple minutes of Heros on-line.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page