Where are the upgrades available at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just connected the DVR to my router using an Ethernet cable, and used the menu to check for updates.

I don't know what F202 changed--probably some bug fixes.

Mark
post #33 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB47 View Post

Where are the upgrades available at?

They're not posted on the web yet. When available, they should be
posted here.
post #34 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 PM

You have to enter "Substitute Zip code" instead of your real Zip Code (according to manual) in order to get TVGOS. That may be a reason why you are not receiving guide info.
post #35 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For now - you have to use the internet and the ethernet port on the back. Eventually - they should be available at www.dtvpal.com for download and you would then use a USB stick to update.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #36 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerBob View Post

You have to enter "Substitute Zip code" instead of your real Zip Code (according to manual) in order to get TVGOS. That may be a reason why you are not receiving guide info.

You MAY have to enter the substitute Zip code. Not necessarily required. Some areas it was required to use the substitute.

Try your real one first.

post #37 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana View Post

I got mine today (Fort Collins, CO) and got it hooked up. The first thing that I notice is that it has MUCH better reception than other DTV receivers I have tried. I am getting a reasonable lock on the Denver PBS station that I've never been able to get more than a second or two blip in the past. The Denver NBC station that is currently low power seems to be solid also. We'll see if this holds up, or if the atmosphere is just being extra friendly.

One of the first things I did is install a firmware update via Ethernet connection. I think it came with F201, and it updated to F202. It was an easy process.

If you configure the guide to use small text, you can get about 9 channels on the screen, with about 3 hours of data. Nice! Response is fast.

Right now, some stations, including KCNC-DT Denver (CBS), who is supposed to be the TV Guide source, show "No Information Available". Maybe this will fill in eventually.

I'm using HDMI and an additional optical connection for audio. Everything seems to work OK. I wish someone would broadcast some test patterns/color bars, the default settings look a little washed out vs. my Comcast DVR, but I'm sure I can adjust it properly.

Still learning, but very impressed so far!

Mark

P.S. Mine came with batteries for the remote.

Will it do audio over the HDMI as well?
post #38 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvampsh View Post

Will it do audio over the HDMI as well?

Yes.

All outputs are working simultaeously.

post #39 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

You MAY have to enter the substitute Zip code. Not necessarily required. Some areas it was required to use the substitute.

Try your real one first.

The substitute zip codes are for the digital to analog TVGOS data conversion. The substitute zip code is entered in the analog device, not the DTVpal DVR.

Of course I don't see the point of doing an analog conversion for an analog recorder, if you have a DTVpal dvr why even use the analog recorder?
post #40 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

The substitute zip codes are for the digital to analog TVGOS data conversion. The substitute zip code is entered in the analog device, not the DTVpal DVR.

Of course I don't see the point of doing an analog conversion for an analog recorder, if you have a DTVpal dvr why even use the analog recorder?

I'm just saying its use is a workaround in certain situations.

post #41 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

They're not posted on the web yet. When available, they should be
posted here.

Maybe they don't want to put them on the site so soon before we even get the units. Kind of makes them look bad....
post #42 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

OK that's the case where the Pal DVR can't get PSIP because the station can't be received. But what about the case I asked about where the station can be received but there are no listings for it in TVGOS? Does the unit say here's a station that can be received so go get the listings from PSIP and integrate that into the TVGOS listings or does the unit say gosh TVGOS is available so if there is no TVGOS listing for a particular station then too bad?

TVGOS should show all the channels received for a particular region based on zip code entered and should show all the listings for those channels. My guess would be that yours is showing information based only on PSIP at this point but will fill in with TVGOS listings overnight assuming you can receive TVGOS data. Hard to say without seeing it. [I'm surprised no one has posted pictures of the interface yet] If it is like other TVGOS devices there may be a "master list" of channels in the setup menu that you can turn on or off so you may want to look there for any channels or subchannels (x.1, x.2, etc.) that may be off by default.

EDIT: Judging from the pictures of the interface in the user manual it looks nothing like any other TVGOS I've seen so the above information may not apply. It looks like it uses TVGOS data but not the TVGOS interface. In other words all bets are off. We'll just have to wait for people to post their experiences I guess.

TWinbrook46636
post #43 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
What is the channel changing speed like (one thing I don't like about my Sony)?

Have you experienced any box related issues (audio drop outs, buffering stuttering, etc) that can not be directly related to the broadcast?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #44 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM

The manual says if you are receiving TVGOS data then you will see the TV Guide logo in the upper right corner of the program guide. No logo then you are getting PSIP.
post #45 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I wish someone would broadcast some test patterns/color bars, the default settings look a little washed out vs. my Comcast DVR, but I'm sure I can adjust it properly.

Still learning, but very impressed so far!

Mark

Thanks for the initial run down.

You note that you where looking to compare it to your Comcast DVR - Are you tuning this unit on cable? ( it does support QAM?)
post #46 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

..it does support QAM?)

No.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #47 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

No.

That's funny, you don't look like Mark.

Are you speaking from experience - as in you have one already?
post #48 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:

That's funny, you don't look like Mark.

Are you speaking from experience - as in you have one already?

It's been stated in the specs that it only works with OTA, not QAM.
post #49 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 PM

3 1/2 hour news shows recorded. Auto recorded 29min,32min,31min. HD record time left 33hr47min, SD record time left 128hr 13min.

Still don't see how to have auto delete after new episode or save two records and delete oldest. May be I'm just a spoiled Replay user.

Channels change under 2 sec. TV guide logo in the upper right corner of guide.

PIP when playing with settings and preferences but not on the guide.

Picture is comparable to straight OTA signal.

Guide goes one week out but only info through the next several hours so far.
post #50 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Recording 2&1/2 men, loading screen came on and then screen indicating guide updating. Recording resumed causing two recordings for one show with about 30 sec missing. checked preferences for update times and only found one for auto software update at 0100hrs. No idea why they would interrupt my tv during prime time, I set the clock.

May be if I hook up to the ethernet it will fix this problem with that update thats out there.

I need an ethernet for my replay now for my pal soon for my blueray w/netflix-pandora and that apple tv I found cheap.

Can I just put a switch behind the TV instead of running more cable to my already overloaded switch in the basement?
post #51 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwnt1 View Post

Recording 2&1/2 men, loading screen came on and then screen indicating guide updating. Recording resumed causing two recordings for one show with about 30 sec missing. checked preferences for update times and only found one for auto software update at 0100hrs. No idea why they would interrupt my tv during prime time, I set the clock.

May be if I hook up to the ethernet it will fix this problem with that update thats out there.

I need an ethernet for my replay now for my pal soon for my blueray w/netflix-pandora and that apple tv I found cheap.

Can I just put a switch behind the TV instead of running more cable to my already overloaded switch in the basement?

Yes. If I need more ethernet - that's exactly what I intend to do.

post #52 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Any idea on power usage when not in use (you don't happen to have a Kill-A-Watt, do you)? Does the hard drive spin when it's shut off/in standby and when not recording?

Thanks!!
post #53 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the initial run down.

You note that you where looking to compare it to your Comcast DVR - Are you tuning this unit on cable? ( it does support QAM?)

No, it is connected to my rooftop antenna. Hopefully I won't feel the need for cable much longer. The cheapest package where you can get a DVR from them ends up around $90/month once you add all the taxes & fees, and about 90% of what we seem to record is on the local channels/networks.

I tried a recording from one of my weaker channels (one that I couldn't get reliably enough to be watchable before) and it gave me a message something to the effect that the recording wasn't complete due to signal loss. But I watched the recording and saw (and heard) only one, very brief blip. I've seen worse on cable. I hope the reception remains this good and it isn't just a very friendly atmosphere.

I am not getting the TV Guide logo in the guide (so it may be using PSIP data), and a number of channels still show no data. I'll see if anything updates overnight. I have my "real" zip code entered right now, not the substitute number. I hope that is correct.

Mark
post #54 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM

occasional fragmentation on skip back and skip forward while watching full 1080 broadcast on NBC.

Picture changed from Auto screen fill back to hd normal after a pause session.

hard drive runs when shut off and it sounds a little ruff, not as smooth as the replay tv though the replay fan is louder. picture changed back to normal after unit turned back on even though I turned it off on stretch, watching Charlie Rose which is broadcast in 720p. Tried it again and this time it stayed in the stretch mode.

ABC and CBS channel guide has info for a week out now.

Good nite and good luck. I can't wait until you guys start picking this thing apart.
post #55 of 18298 Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 332
It would really be helpful, especially when commenting on PQ, if posters would specify their display type, size and resolution.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #56 of 18298 Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 AM

or maybe refrain from PQ comments at all...
post #57 of 18298 Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I tried a recording from one of my weaker channels (one that I couldn't get reliably enough to be watchable before) and it gave me a message something to the effect that the recording wasn't complete due to signal loss. But I watched the recording and saw (and heard) only one, very brief blip. I've seen worse on cable. I hope the reception remains this good and it isn't just a very friendly atmosphere.

Now that's real news!

Mark,

What dtv tuner are you comparing your pal dvr to?

Also, can anyone who has the unit compare a 720p broadcast coming out of the pal dvr (hdmi out preferably) to the same broadcasts using the hdtv's built in tuner (coax in)? Does the picture quality look better or worse? I am a little dissatisfied with the pq of 720p broadcasts through my plasma tv's built-in tuner, and was hoping the pal dvr would improve the pq.
post #58 of 18298 Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwnt1 View Post

Channels change under 2 sec.

So does the Sony, but anything over 1/2 a second is really slow. I'm used to my HTPC and my parents AT&T Box, that is the kind of speed I was hoping for. Heck, even the speed of my 2 year old HDTV (which is under 1 second) would be fine. (My Zenith CEBC box is almost instant, so a 2 second channel change (or on par with the Sony) would be disappointing seeing how the technology is nearly 4 years newer)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #59 of 18298 Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

When discussing reception can you please list type of antenna and distance from transmitter?
post #60 of 18298 Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Let's say that you want to watch a show on virtual channel 12.1. Will the channel change to 12.1 if you simply punch 12 into the remote, or do you need to punch 01201 to get the channel to change?

My Samsungs will change just by punching "5" or "11" or "32". They will change to the first virtual channel with those numbers. This is VERY convenient.

Bill
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page