74Likes

post #631 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrisn View Post

I don't even know if TVGOS is available in Lincoln, NE. I thought that needed some type of infrared device in front of the unit. How would I see if it is available and how do I enable it?

According with http://www.rabbitears.info TVGOS is not available in Lincoln. The closest source of digital TVGOS (according to this source) is CBS out of Sioux City Iowa, which is to far away to get it. I e-mailed both CBS affiliates in area (Lincoln/Omaha), but never received any response from them.
Are you sure there is TVGOS logo in the programming guide, and you have info for 7 days? Lack of the TVGOS in the area is the only reason why I have not order DTVPAL Dvr yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post

Item 4 in the "Sales Disclosures" at:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork....Disclosures.do

"4. All DTVPal sales are final"

Keeping in mind that any "all sales are final" condition does not apply if the merchandise is defective. Unless the sale is specified to be "as is", which this one clearly is not.
post #633 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 AM

So will TVGOS be available eventually to all markets for our Pal DVR or is it just luck of the draw to be in a market that supplies it?
post #634 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

I have a couple WD10EACS drives in my RAID 1 setup. I could pull one out for use in the DTVPal DVR if it is suitable. However, the part number does not match the one you list. I see WD10EACS-00ZJB0 and a date of 2 Oct 2007. As you can see, the last four letters match, but the first two numbers are different. Is there any chance this can work? Can you direct me to a location where I can read more about this issue?

TIA!

Reg

Edit: I found some discussion on tivocommunity.com and here is some of what I read there:

1) WD10EACS-32ZJB0 is a drive sold in a retail box.
2) WD10EACS-00ZJB0 is a drive sold for OEM use (no box, just a mylar bag).
3) Western Digital claims these two drives are identical other than how they are labeled and sold.
4) Users have reported the same firmware being available on both drives.
5) WD10EACS-32ZJB0 works fine as an upgrade inside a TiVo S3 while WD10EACS-00ZJB0 works, but cannot be rebooted by software. Only a power down will restart it, making software updates problematic.
6) Both of these drives work fine inside a TiVo-HD unit.

Does anyone have any further information, as 3) and 5) above seem to be conflicting?

Maybe this will help clarify some things for the HDD replacement group:

3 platters:
WD10EACS-65D6B0
-00D6B0
-00D6B1

4 platters:
WD10EACS-00ZJB0
-32ZJB0
-00C7B0

Was the original DTVDRV 250GB drive perhaps a three platter design?
-----

As for Drive letters:

"The first two digits in the six digit suffix do not mean anything about the hardware. They are simply a distribution code.

To be more specific:

Customer ID
00 - Generic
10 - DEC
11 - WD Protégé OEM
12 - Intel
18 - Dell
23 - IBM
25 - Toshiba
28 - Microsoft
32 - Reseller
35 - WD Spartan
40 - Apple
44 - WD Protégé Other
60 - Compaq
80 - Motorola
90 - Distribution Only
95 - Tektronix
99 - Boeing"
post #635 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 AM

has anyone got the DVR to work with a Harmony remote? I am close to pulling the trigger on this purchase, I would like it to work with my Harmony 880 remote.
post #636 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB47 View Post

So will TVGOS be available eventually to all markets for our Pal DVR or is it just luck of the draw to be in a market that supplies it?

TVGOS is said to already be available to 90% or more of the population, so that relatively few are supposed to be without it...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #637 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Thanks, very nice.

No problem.

Bob
post #638 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot12 View Post

I had the in-laws disable the Update setting tonight. We'll see if this fixes it. They don't get TVGOS now though. I told them to swing their antenna over to Madison, WI tonight too, and see if they get that TVGOS guide info. I didn't have them change their Zip though, so we shall see about that as well.

I'm pretty sure you need to enter the correct zip code for your location...or at least the zip code for the location of the CBS station you want to get the TVGOS from.

Bob
post #639 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Good thought, I had tried that already but, no result. Will try again tomorrow.

Try the reverse sequence (DVR on 1st, then the router) as some network devices will be able to acquire the address this way rather than the normal way.

Bob
post #640 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhimpey View Post

I've had problems with mine locking up while watching it. Could someone please explain what happens if I disable the menu>setup>updates (i.e. no more guide data, only 24 hrs, etc.)? Thanks.

If you are getting TVGOS from you CBS station (you will see a red TV Guide logo in the upper right hand corner of the guide screen if you ARE getting it) this procedure can be used to stop the DVR from attempting to download the PSIP guide.
If you are not getting a TVGOS guide then this would, I assume, give you a box with NO guide at all.

Bob
post #641 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

Was the original DTVDRV 250GB drive perhaps a three platter design?

Thanks, good info!

According to this link, the WD2500AAJS is a 3-platter design.

It's an interesting theory, but I have trouble imagining that the physical configuration of the drive has any relevance in today's world of computers, given that drive characteristics are all hidden from the interface via a layer that translates drive parameters to a set of virtual parameters. On the other hand, no one seems to understand why there can be a difference between -00 and -32 drives containing the same firmware, though the TiVo 3 seems to care. Perhaps there is some drive setting that is stored on the platter that matters?

I will be testing my 1 TB drive and a couple of 2.5" drives this afternoon and will report what I find.

Thanks again!

Reg
post #642 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

has anyone got the DVR to work with a Harmony remote? I am close to pulling the trigger on this purchase, I would like it to work with my Harmony 880 remote.

Yes, I have the Harmony One and it works seamlessly. I'm fairly sure our programming software is the same. Enter the remote in as a PVR > Dish Network > DTVPal DVR. While this isn't a remote in the database (at least it wasn't when I programmed mine), it will ask to learn a few commands, at which point it will say that the remote is just like the VIP 622. The only edits I had to make at that point were to manually learn the power button (the burst is too short, as mentioned upthread) and to change the Inter-key delay to 100 ms. Good luck!

I have a question of my own. Am I able to record a program from when I started watching it, not when I press record? Here's an example scenario. Say I started watching Conan O'Brien from the beginning. 20 min. in, I realized that the opening segment is funny and I want to record the entire show (i.e. 20 min. into the past to the end of the program). Is this possible? The data exists because the first 20 min. is buffered for pause / rewind. However in practice, pressing record seems to start recording from the moment I press record (20 min. in) and then loses the data from the past.

This is possible on some other DVRs (e.g. ATT Uverse). Is this a feature on other Dish DVRs?

Thanks!
post #643 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsPops View Post

If you are getting TVGOS from you CBS station (you will see a red TV Guide logo in the upper right hand corner of the guide screen if you ARE getting it) this procedure can be used to stop the DVR from attempting to download the PSIP guide.
If you are not getting a TVGOS guide then this would, I assume, give you a box with NO guide at all.

WRONG.....

If you disable updates the unit simply will not do a reboot at the "update time".

It has no effect on the guide, mine has had updates disabled since day 2 of having it.
post #644 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipino View Post

I have a question of my own. Am I able to record a program from when I started watching it, not when I press record? Here's an example scenario. Say I started watching Conan O'Brien from the beginning. 20 min. in, I realized that the opening segment is funny and I want to record the entire show (i.e. 20 min. into the past to the end of the program). Is this possible? The data exists because the first 20 min. is buffered for pause / rewind. However in practice, pressing record seems to start recording from the moment I press record (20 min. in) and then loses the data from the past.

This is possible on some other DVRs (e.g. ATT Uverse). Is this a feature on other Dish DVRs?

Thanks!

Yes, simply rewind back to the begining of the program and then start your recording.
post #645 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Hmmm I tried rewinding to the beginning and hitting record, but the recording started at that time on Live TV and not from the point I rewinded to. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.

BTW I've lurked around these two threads since CES 2008, and it feels good to be able to contribute finally. This is all in all a great little machine.
post #646 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

QAM without CableCARD will be too limited in utility for some people. For some insight into what a box that provides QAM with CableCARD capability would cost, take a look at the new Moxi ($800).

Many cable companies are locking down clear QAM anyways. In our market only the local channels are clear, everything else is scrambled.
post #647 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelipino View Post

Say I started watching Conan O'Brien from the beginning. 20 min. in, I realized that the opening segment is funny...

That would be highly unlikely - unless you're considering what he himself thinks.
post #648 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Is it possible to hook the component outputs to a tube TV that has component inputs?
It looks like when using component output the only choice is 480p and maybe not 480i? I'm pretty sure tube TVs(not HD) are only 480i. I'd hate to step down to composite. The TV also has S-video input but of course they omitted that feature
Also some older DVDRs have component inputs, does anyone know if they would accept 480p for offloading the Pal?
post #649 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Is it possible to hook the component outputs to a tube TV that has component inputs?
It looks like when using component output the only choice is 480p and maybe not 480i? I'm pretty sure tube TVs(not HD) are only 480i. I'd hate to step down to composite. The TV also has S-video input but of course they omitted that feature

Every CRT I've seen with component inputs had the option for progressive scan (480p). Otherwise, why would they even bother with component input.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #650 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks...yep..no Dish fanboy here.
And I think that disabling the guide download will help those with that problem...besides I see no reason to have it happen if you are getting TVGOS guide as it is far superior to the alternative.

I guess I missed something.

How many guides are there ..... TVGOS, PSIP, XXXX?
I didn't know there was a downloaded guide; Am I reading this correctly?
And what is the difference between the three? I know about the first two, but not the third ("downloaded" guide).

Sorry for the confusion,

Chris C
post #651 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

And what is the difference between the three? I know about the first two, but not the third ("downloaded" guide).

There are just two: PSIP and TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS).

PSIP refers to the program information offered by each individual station; this is generally more limited, 24-72 hours.

TVGOS refers to program information made available for download over-the-air. This includes the current days listings, plus seven additional days of listings. TVGOS program information is distributed by CBS affiliates around the country, using a small portion of their available bandwidth.
post #652 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 PM

I've seen the program guide associated with PSIP referred to, pretty consistently, as EPG. Is that distinction (EPG versus PSIP) not typical? I had gotten the impression that PSIP, specifically, referred to channel mapping, time synchronization, etc., but the program guide data was this related extension...
post #653 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0qcu View Post

WRONG.....

If you disable updates the unit simply will not do a reboot at the "update time".

It has no effect on the guide, mine has had updates disabled since day 2 of having it.

Quote:

If this is what you are referring to as WRONG then thanks for the correction.

Quote:

If this is what you are refering to then maybe I should have said it would stop the DVR from attempting to download the PSIP guide at that given time.

Bob
post #654 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.P. Wily View Post

Keeping in mind that any "all sales are final" condition does not apply if the merchandise is defective. Unless the sale is specified to be "as is", which this one clearly is not.

This sales disclosure refers to both the DTVPal and the DTVPal DVR in various spots. But line item "4." only mentions the DTVPal.....Maybe I'm reading something positive into this.

Chris C
post #655 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Every CRT I've seen with component inputs had the option for progressive scan (480p). Otherwise, why would they even bother with component input.

Some sets only support 480i over component, mostly older CRT sets. I've not seen any sets support 480p that won't also support 1080i. The cool thing is now that "flat panel fever" has set in you can pick up HD/HD ready CRT sets for under $200 on Craigslist.
post #656 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

Sorry for the confusion,

Yeah, what bfdtv said here.

Bob
post #657 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Some sets only support 480i over component, mostly older CRT sets. I've not seen any sets support 480p that won't also support 1080i. The cool thing is now that "flat panel fever" has set in you can pick up HD/HD ready CRT sets for under $200 on Craigslist.

That's why I said the set was SD and not HD. The set is maybe 7? years old, it's a 32" RCA CRT with every input but HDMI/DVI. It also has analog TVGOS although I suppose one would be using the digital TVGOS in the Pal instead of the TV after 2/09. The owner can't find the manual and has never tried progressive ouputs.
What about DVDRs with component inputs, would they accept the 480p outputted by the Pal? All other devices I have seen output 480i as well as 480p over component, I wonder why the Pal has omitted that...
post #658 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

There are just two: PSIP and TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS).

PSIP refers to the program information offered by each individual station; this is generally more limited, 24-72 hours.

TVGOS refers to program information made available for download over-the-air. This includes the current days listings, plus seven additional days of listings. TVGOS program information is distributed by CBS affiliates around the country, using a small portion of their available bandwidth.

OK, so by disabling the guide update...do I still have a TVGOS guide? I've read here others say they do.
I other words; What am I disabling by disabling?

Perhaps:
Does the disable have only to do with the firmware update?

Sorry for being such a block-head.

Chris C
post #659 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

If this is what you are referring to as WRONG then thanks for the correction.

If this is what you are refering to then maybe I should have said it would stop the DVR from attempting to download the PSIP guide at that given time.

Both,
the update time has nothing to do with the downloading of any guide data, PSIP or TVGOS, it simply is a setting to determine a time for the DTVpal DVR to do a reboot. (might be other (unknown to me) functions also but guide data is not one of them)
post #660 of 18294 Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

That's why I said the set was SD and not HD. The set is maybe 7? years old, it's a 32" RCA CRT with every input but HDMI/DVI. It also has analog TVGOS although I suppose one would be using the digital TVGOS in the Pal instead of the TV after 2/09. The owner can't find the manual and has never tried progressive ouputs.
What about DVDRs with component inputs, would they accept the 480p outputted by the Pal? All other devices I have seen output 480i as well as 480p over component, I wonder why the Pal has omitted that...

Your RCA sounds like the one I recently sold then and it didn't support 480p over component. FWIW I only got $85 on CL for it even though it was only 6yrs old with a great picture. CRT sets simply don't sell for much, bad if you are selling one, good if you are buying.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page