The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #811 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since disabling the menu>setup>updates several days ago, I have had zero lock ups/reboots. Do we actually know if that setting is for program guide information or could it be for firmware updates? I believe that my Dish 522 satellite receiver has a similar setting, but that it is used to schedule firmware updates to the receiver, not the program guide.

Also, does anyone know how I can program my Dish 522 remote (#2, 6.2 IR/UHF PRO) to control the DTVPal DVR? I still use my satellite and would like to control both the 522 and the DTVPal DVR using the same remote. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhimpey View Post

Also, does anyone know how I can program my Dish 522 remote (#2, 6.2 IR/UHF PRO) to control the DTVPal DVR? I still use my satellite and would like to control both the 522 and the DTVPal DVR using the same remote. Thanks.

Press the AUX button until all 4 mode buttons blink.
Press 3
Enter the Remote address of the PAL 1 - 15
Press the # button.
post #813 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Since disabling the menu>setup>updates several days ago, I have had zero lock ups/reboots. Do we actually know if that setting is for program guide information or could it be for firmware updates? I believe that my Dish 522 satellite receiver has a similar setting, but that it is used to schedule firmware updates to the receiver, not the program guide.

Good point. The idea that the reboots occur when downloading guide data was a supposition but what the DVR is doing to cause the lockups and reboots really isn't known.

Several people report that they still get TVGOS after disabling menu>setup>updates but that lockups go away. Perhaps it's a firmware update being queued up. Then, even if an update isn't available, the "new" firmware is booted causing the lockup/reboot. Still supposition, but it fits the fix.
post #814 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That setting is for firmware updates. It has nothing whatsoever to do with guide information.
post #815 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuggieDoggie23 View Post

I connected my DTVPal DVR to my Panasonic SD TV (which only supports component 480i) via the component connection and was NOT successful. Therefore, I believe that the TV must support a minimum of 480p for the component connection (which is consistent with the specs).

Thanks for trying. Good to know but not a deal breaker for me.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #816 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That setting is for firmware updates. It has nothing whatsoever to do with guide information.

I still do not get where this information comes from.
As I said here, "The HELP screen in this option on my box clearly states that this allows you to "Choose a daily time to download the Program Guide infromation.""
If I am missing something...sorry.

Bob
post #817 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

So if one intends to only update via USB and never connect the box to the Internet, that option can safely be disabled.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #818 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsPops View Post

As I said here, "The HELP screen in this option on my box clearly states that this allows you to "Choose a daily time to download the Program Guide infromation.""

I pointed that out in an earlier post as well. I'm beginning to think however that the help file may be wrong.
post #819 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsPops View Post

Page 32 of the manual clearly states that the DTVPal DVR will automatically find and install updates via ethernet while in standby mode, by default. Do you see another option anywhere to disable automatic updates?

The behavior of the box supports this. If the update option is disabled, the box does not automatically download the latest update while in standby, yet it continues to download guide updates from TVGOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So if one intends to only update via USB and never connect the box to the Internet, that option can safely be disabled.

Yes.
post #820 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Proposed enhancement request:
With the baseline firmware (F201), a new timer-based (manual) recording can only be scheduled inside a two-week window. While that corresponds to the two week window presented by the program guide, this seems like an arbitrary limit on timer-based recording. I often learn about programming on PBS that is scheduled farther into the future than two weeks. Why should this clever computer not allow me to schedule a recording at ANY time in the future?

I'm ready to submit this enhancement request to Dish. My only question is whether this limit has already been addressed in the F202 firmware. (I'm hanging with the (conservative) folks on this thread who are reluctant to update without knowing what bugs are addressed and/or features promised by the update ...especially with the number of folks speculating that reboot problem gets worse after.) Can someone who has (courageously) updated please try to schedule a timer-based recording beyond the two-week window, please?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
post #821 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Further impressions and thoughts after a weeks worth of intermittent use:

1) Since I disabled updates three days ago, I have not had any reboots or lockups (touch wood). But I also haven't used it extensively. Today with all the bowl games will be the real test of whether my unit is still rebooting or not. It will be on all day and night. This is on a box with my real zip and firmware F202.

2) I really like the padded recording option on this box. I have set it to pad recordings by a few minutes on the back end. The box is smart enough to pad the recording if a tuner is available. But if other events are scheduled, it will switch over and record the next show without padding the first. Much more preferable to my Comcast DVR where I have to manually pad each recording.

3) What I don't like is it only buffers one channel at a time. Unless you are recording one, and watching (or recording) a second. I really like the ability of my Comcast DVR to buffer two channels, and switch between the two tuners, rewind them if necessary etc etc without recording either tuner.

4) Overall, I'm extremely happy with the DTVPAL DVR. Well worth the $258 that I paid, and it will see a lot of use once first run network TV starts up again.
post #822 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkane View Post

With the baseline firmware (F201), a new timer-based (manual) recording can only be scheduled inside a two-week window. While that corresponds to the two week window presented by the program guide, this seems like an arbitrary limit on timer-based recording. I often learn about programming on PBS that is scheduled farther into the future than two weeks. Why should this clever computer not allow me to schedule a recording at ANY time in the future?

I'm ready to submit this enhancement request to Dish. My only question is whether this limit has already been addressed in the F202 firmware. (I'm hanging with the (conservative) folks on this thread who are reluctant to update without knowing what bugs are addressed and/or features promised by the update ...especially with the number of folks speculating that reboot problem gets worse after.) Can someone who has (courageously) updated please try to schedule a timer-based recording beyond the two-week window, please?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Two week limit seems to still be in place in F202. I just tried to set one, and 01/15 was as far forward I could go.
post #823 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

With the baseline firmware (F201), a new timer-based (manual) recording can only be scheduled inside a two-week window.

As a work around, couldn't you just set a weekly timer? Of course, that would record at that time for the interim weeks but at least it would be scheduled.
post #824 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golinux:
Two week limit seems to still be in place in F202. I just tried to set one, and 01/15 was as far forward I could go.

Thanks for trying. I'll submit that enhancement request now.
post #825 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

As a work around, couldn't you just set a weekly timer? Of course, that would record at that time for the interim weeks but at least it would be scheduled.

Exactly the workaround I used. Thanks... but it's still a workaround, and this should be an easy limit to lift.
post #826 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tell DISH that with the DTVPal CECB, a manual timer can be set 6 months and 4 days into the future.
post #827 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

...What I had scheduled was marked as "skipped" and when I clicked info it had a program description and the notation "Timer skipped on failure to start recording"...

That's what I reported on post#349. Glad to know I'm not the only one, but I have not had it happen since.
post #828 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post

Good point. The idea that the reboots occur when downloading guide data was a supposition but what the DVR is doing to cause the lockups and reboots really isn't known.

Several people report that they still get TVGOS after disabling menu>setup>updates but that lockups go away. Perhaps it's a firmware update being queued up. Then, even if an update isn't available, the "new" firmware is booted causing the lockup/reboot. Still supposition, but it fits the fix.

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

I pointed that out in an earlier post as well. I'm beginning to think however that the help file may be wrong.

True.

Quote:

Page 32 of the manual clearly states that the DTVPal DVR will automatically find and install updates via ethernet while in standby mode, by default. Do you see another option anywhere to disable automatic updates?

The behavior of the box supports this. If the update option is disabled, the box does not automatically download the latest update while in standby, yet it continues to download guide updates from TVGOS.

I can buy this logic with the above ideas in mind.
The behavior of the box also seems to support that this may very well be the culprit in the reboot (or whatever you would like to call it) issue since some are reporting that the problem stops when this is set to disable.

Bob
post #829 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:

How are you doing that?...I can think of a few things that would be nice to have as well.

Bob
post #830 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Hey, I even had trouble setting a manual timer one day ahead. (I have F202.) Yesterday and the day before I tried setting a manual timer for an event for today. It was on a channel that isn't getting guide data because it's in a different market (though some of the other out of market channels are getting guide data), so this may have been part of the problem, plus going across the year boundary (hopefully it's not the month boundary or that will be a real pain). The error I got was "This event is already recording", which I suspect was not the correct error that should have been reported.
post #831 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873 View Post

Hey, I even had trouble setting a manual timer one day ahead. (I have F202.) Yesterday and the day before I tried setting a manual timer for an event for today. It was on a channel that isn't getting guide data because it's in a different market (though some of the other out of market channels are getting guide data), so this may have been part of the problem, plus going across the year boundary (hopefully it's not the month boundary or that will be a real pain). The error I got was "This event is already recording", which I suspect was not the correct error that should have been reported.

I've been getting that same error today, but only with one channel. Tried everything I could think of including a format & reboot. It was past the time of day I wanted to set the timer for (10 AM) so it wasn't showing in the guide. I'll try again in the morning from the guide and see what happens (I was able to set timers from the guide today with no problems).
post #832 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProsPops:
How are you doing that?...I can think of a few things that would be nice to have as well.

The only path I could see was to e-mail Echostar's Tech Support department (Tech@echostar.com) ...so I took it.

Jim
post #833 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Has anyone gotten a response from Tech@echostar.com yet on any topic?
post #834 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873:
Hey, I even had trouble setting a manual timer one day ahead. (I have F202.) Yesterday and the day before I tried setting a manual timer for an event for today. It was on a channel that isn't getting guide data...

The error I got was "This event is already recording"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44:
I've been getting that same error today, but only with one channel.

It was past the time of day I wanted to set the timer for (10 AM) so it wasn't showing in the guide.

Like you both, I am having no trouble setting timers by choosing a program from the guide, but no success setting manual timers -- and getting the bogus "The selected event is already recording" error (A674) -- if two conditions are true:
- the channel to be scheduled supplies PSIP data only
AND
- the time to be scheduled is beyond the window covered by the PSIP data

Here in Rochester, it would appear that only ABC and PBS are supplying TVGOS data. NBC, Fox, and CBS appear to be PSIP only ...in spite of the fact that the TVGOS stream is broadcast by CBS. I'll be calling my local stations... and reporting this bug to Echostar.
post #835 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here in Rochester, it would appear that only ABC and PBS are supplying TVGOS data. NBC, Fox, and CBS appear to be PSIP only ...in spite of the fact that the TVGOS stream is broadcast by CBS. I'll be calling my local stations... and reporting this bug to Echostar.

? the way that TVGOS works is that "the TVGOS data" is a set of data broadcast by a particular station (e.g., PBS analog, until February, or CBS digital) , and THAT DATA SET (received from a single station) contains program data for all the stations in the area. You seem to be describing the TVGOS data as analogous to PSIP data (which is the data that each digital station broadcasts about ITSELF ONLY). Or maybe you mean that the data IN YOUR PROGRAM GUIDE is FOR the stations that you mention, not FROM them.

The program info that is broadcast as part of the TVGOS data all comes from a common source, one of the commercial suppliers of program info, such as what you see in a newspaper Sunday guide, or used to see in TV Guide magazines (or still do)...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #836 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873 View Post

Exactly where do you find this information? I looked on the back and on the bottom and do not see it. I only see "Made in China" and some numbers. I looked at the various Diagnostic and System Info screens. If it's inside, well, I'm not ready to open it up just yet. (By the way, the receiver number is R188004xxxx-xx.)

all equipment is plugged into either Panamax or a Monster Cable surge protector including all satellite cables and phone connections). Nothing is on a UPS.

Poster ID: nolim2873
DTVPal DVR
F202
R188004xxxx-xx
Unit received: 12-24-2008
Days of ownership (8)

Reported problems=NONE- Unit working to customer satisfaction.
Reboots=ZERO
Lockups=ZERO
Exceptions=ZERO
Reset history=ZERO
Diagnostic screen, showing 8 power cycles, which coincidentally corresponds to the number of days of ownership.
UPS=NO
Surge Protection=YES, All equipment plugged into either Panamax or Monster Cable surge protector including all satellite cables and phone connections.
Internet connectivity status= NO, only connected to upgrade to F202
Updates currently enabled at default 1:00 am
TVGOS zip, actual zip being used?=NO, Using Baltimore zip- using actual zip gave (0) days guide
Guide fully populated?= YES, 8 days
Customer enhancement suggestions: (Insert comments here)

RE:
A: Finding your units ID strings.
B: Some kind of "standardized format" to post in when reporting "bugs".

(Example standardized format above, feel free to "tweak".)

nolim2873,

I do not have a DTVPal DVR in my possession currently- so I cannot offer any insight on where exactly the various ID strings would be found.

Diagnostic and System Info screens should give you firmware, hardware revisions and serial number, and sometimes a "birth" date. So far as "batch numbers" , or info indicating which factory the unit was produced in, or when the unit was produced if the unit itself is giving no clues to such that info is probably encoded into the serial number.
(Clues might be on the shipping box as well.)

PS: On the "some numbers" on the bottom of the unit you mentioned- that might be the batch lot /factory number... then again it may be nothing.

BTW: My previous post was a "example"- of info that people should be posting. To not post such info is like going to a parts (or repair shop) saying your xyz needs xyz part- (or repair) and expecting the tech or parts guy to give you the proper part or effect the proper repairs not knowing the year, model number, serial number range etc.

post #837 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

So I recorded a 2 hour movie yesterday. Decided to watch it this morning. Had 4 reboots.

In addition, I am still regularly having the unit lockup. I'll be watching LiveTV (green light only on). Without notice, the red light turns on, all control via the remote of the DVR is lost, the signal to the TV is gone (I get a blue screen on my TV). On one occasion I left it in this state for 3 hours to see if it would self clear. (no luck). Only solution so far is to unplug.

Real zip code entered. Inactivity option enabled (@4hrs). I could not find the power cycle counter (I looked under the diagnostics menu)
post #838 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It sounds like either quality control at Dish Network is horrific, or there is some software bug that is causing reboots for some and not others.

Is anyone with reboots using component? Is anyone with reboots using component + disabled software updates? Is anyone with reboots using component + disabled software updates + removed their zip code from setup?
post #839 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM

I emailed engineer at my local CBS station, WSBT South Bend, IN and received reply that they have not been contacted to transmit TVGOS data. Mcrovision does not respond to my emails. Does anyone know who to contact to get my CBS station on board? PSIP data is okay but no comparison to TVGOS which I have had on my TV for over 3 years.
post #840 of 18255 Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM

I've had my DTVPAL DVR for one week now, and it has been spontaneously crashing and rebooting from 2-6 times a day. It has happened while watching live TV, recording shows, or watching recorded programs.

I just talked to tech support and they said they will replace the unit. I'm wondering how widespread this problem is...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page