104Likes

post #1081 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That response does not acknowledge this failure as a bug, but rather exposes it as a fundamental design flaw

A bug is when something doesn't work the way the designer envisioned. A design flaw is when your "vison" disagrees with that of the designer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkane View Post

You understand me correctly, so something must account for the differing user experience we are having.

Tell me, please, whether you have upgraded the firmware to F202.

Jim

I have not upgraded. I went through it again. Press Menu, then Timers: Create: Select channel: Next: Enter timing parameters: Done.

I can't imagine this not working for anyone.
post #1083 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I think the manufacturers would be fools to ignore those millions upon millions, upon millions of OTA persons due to the digital transition that have VCR's that will be looking for replacements /to upgrade

A few weeks ago JVC announced they were ceasing the production of the last stand alone VCR available in the USA. Last week the last company still shipping VCR tapes announced they had shipped the last tapes that were available and there would be no more. Come Feb 17 or not, a lot of VCR owners are going to have to do something.
post #1084 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

What's frustrating is Dish has known about these issues for over a year and still hasn't done anything to fix them. Don't tell me the beta testers didn't have problems, we all know they did but just kept their mouth zipped about it.

The bigger question is if they didn't fix it for almost a year before the final release what makes you think they will (or even can) fix it now? is the unit functional and dependable even with all the reboot issues? Would you trust your "must have" recordings to be saved consistently with the current issues? Is the unit basically decent and the reboots are a minor annoyance, or do the reboots kill most of the functionally?

a year?? I wish!! more like 2 months.
post #1085 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tomsick View Post

Isn't Netgear's "Powerline Adaptor" (using Intellon technology), that connects household wiring to a router's Ethernet plug, being shown? It would seem to provide an internet connectivity alternative for those of us with DTVPal DVR installations some distance from our computers. My understanding is the adaptors may already be available at Best Buy/Circuit City.

I got a set of the 200Mbs HD units for my girlfriend this past summer...because I didn't want to rewire her house with Cat5e. They work great!

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...s/HDXB111.aspx

I haven't run a speed test (not likely getting 200Mbs), but performance was good enough to watch HuLu content without dropouts from the network.
post #1086 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Firmware F201TALD-N
Boot strap 1011TALD
I have the program guide update enabled 1:00AM
I have my real zip code entered.
I have it set to my real time zone.
I do have TVGOS
My video memory (VRAM) test is OK.
HD PASS or NOT RUN with 0 error count.
No USB device.
My power cycle count is 10
My exceptions count is 0.

I have been following this thread for days now, I started while waiting for my dvr to get here.

Like so many of you, my unit worked great, at first. Two days after setting it up, I had the first lockup followed minutes later by a reboot. I immediately emailed tech support and after 3 days of emails back and forth, was told to call their 800 number.

After holding for 30 minutes and talking to two different operators, I was disconnected. I called back and got a guy who confessed he really works sales, not tech support and he could only help me by following some trouble shooting guide he had. My problem wasn't on his list. He told me that their hadn't be any reports of my particular problem. I told him that I begged to differ, and told him of this forum and what I had learned here.

While I had him on the line, I asked him about the warranty policy. He confirmed what I had read here, that the 90 days started from the order date. He had to agree with me when I told him that didn't seem right, since the order was placed 11/19 and I didn't get it until 12/29. He talked to his "tech coach" and was told to change my warranty start date to 12/29.

As far as my problem, he said that since the unit is still working, there was nothing he could do. He told me that the next time it locks up, to call them BEFORE doing anything to the unit. The only way that they will send me a replacement unit, is if the one I have isn't working. So I'm waiting for the next lock up.

I am unimpressed by their customer service/tech support so far. We'll see what happens with the next lock up.

But, I thought that some of you would be interested in the ability to get the warranty date changed.

I'll be lurking...
post #1087 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I have not upgraded. I went through it again. Press Menu, then Timers: Create: Select channel: Next: Enter timing parameters: Done.

Anyone else running the original firmware and has the ability to set a timer based recording?

I would hate to think that upgrading to F202 takes features away
post #1088 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.green@iwon.com View Post

Do you more experienced types think a software or firmware upgrade will work?

Possibly. I have years of experience with Dish satellite receivers. Eventually they fix serious bugs - just not a fast as you would think they would.

When they rolled out their crazy form of Video-on-demand to the 50x series, it caused serious problems on some users receivers (hard drive errors, crashes, recordings disappearing, events not firing). They happily replaced users with new receivers, but the replacements only had the same problem or worse (Duh! because it was a software problem).

After about 8 months or so, most of the serious problems were fixed. Fortunately I was able to avoid most of the problems because I refused new software updates (at least until they forced an update into my unit - something at least they can't do with the DTVPal DVR if the Ethernet is not connected).

One forced release had the nice feature of updating all set events by hour to compensate for daylight saving time (but it did this every single night). With another, events did not fire at all if you turned off the unit (this bug stayed around another 6 to 9 months - I think, I still leave that receiver just in case, and there has been at least 8 updates since that bug appeared).

A current bug in the software requires me to turn on the receiver during the day (it goes to sleep at night), or the events may not fire that night (looking at the schedule history simply shows "canceled" with some obscure reason I don't remember - it hasn't happen for a while since I been remembering to turn it on).

On my other Dish receiver (a 625), it has recently developed a problem where events appear to fire (schedule history shows "done"), but the event doesn't appear in My Recordings. This happened with two events Friday night (fortunately one was just a backup for the DTVPal DVR, which did successfully fire).
post #1089 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

What's frustrating is Dish has known about these issues for over a year and still hasn't done anything to fix them. Don't tell me the beta testers didn't have problems, we all know they did but just kept their mouth zipped about it.

The bigger question is if they didn't fix it for almost a year before the final release what makes you think they will (or even can) fix it now? is the unit functional and dependable even with all the reboot issues? Would you trust your "must have" recordings to be saved consistently with the current issues? Is the unit basically decent and the reboots are a minor annoyance, or do the reboots kill most of the functionally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabeader View Post

a year?? I wish!! more like 2 months.

2 months?
How do you figure?
First post stating a production unit arriving in this thread was Dec 22,2008 and today's date is Jan 05,2009.

Regardless this product has been in development since before Jan-2008 when the unit was announced at CES 2008 makes "the design", slightly MORE than a year old.

Jan 7, 2008=Unit announced @ CES 2008
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9840910-67.html

Nov 19, 2008=Available for pre-order starting dtvpal.com
Units to start shipping in Dec.

Dec 22, 2008=First post stating a production unit arriving.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15357290

Jan 05, 2009, today's date.

post #1090 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

I got a set of the 200Mbs HD units for my girlfriend this past summer...because I didn't want to rewire here house with Cat5e. They work great!

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...s/HDXB111.aspx

Works great at about 1/4 the speed of Cat5e. (in a 100mbps network). Try and stream a 720p or 1080i video. If you aren't on the same circuit, good luck.

(Thus the reason I hardwired a couple of rooms in my house after trying that device)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1091 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Thoughts on this? chapelrun?

Reg

P.S. On second thought, perhaps it would be good to run mine with the F201 firmware for the first part of the testing...

You're thinking like a first rate tester. Definitely run the test with one on F201 and one on F202. Then upgrade the first one to F202 and repeat the test. This may indicate differences in the two software versions, and/or the two different unit's hardware. Let us know the results.
post #1092 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something in what you're saying but the very first recording I made was to set up the manual timer for a program for which there was no guide data. It recorded fine. Of course the station had to be scanned in first to be recognized. In fact for that test, I recorded two programs at the same time, one from the guide, and one without the guide.

Setting up manual timers seems to be hit or miss. I believe I was able to successfully set one up with no guide data one time, but not another.

I receive channels from two areas. One trick I used was to set from the weaker of two channels with guide data, then switch the channel to the stronger channel with no guide data. This worked one time and another time did not. (I'm on F202.)
post #1093 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Anyone else running the original firmware and has the ability to set a timer based recording?

I am and I can.
post #1094 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

I think the manufacturers would be fools to ignore those millions upon millions, upon millions of OTA persons due to the digital transition that have VCR's that will be looking for replacements /to upgrade.
(Read that as hard-drive based recorders- there are hardly any choices in the US market now of units that don't require a reoccurring monthly bill.)

As far as SD recorders with hard drives, even apart from the US Philips and Magnavox models with digital tuners, there are a bunch of Canadian and International models available here new (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, etc.) if you know where to look. Even though they might only have NTSC (or PAL) tuners, they can be paired with an inexpensive CECB with timers or channel-changing ability.

Where there's a will there's a way.
post #1095 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I have the original firmware and can set the timers just fine (manual timer, that is, on a station with no guide data).

I'm always leery with firmware upgrades when I don't know what they do. Hence the saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' Now if they can show me functionality changes that I would like, then I will otherwise I wait until I see the problem that the firmware fixes.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1096 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cavemaster:

Just to be clear:
The issue is setting a timer-based recording for a timeslot that displays "No Information Available" (too far in the future for PSIP and not supplied (for whatever reason) by TVGOS).

I am perfectly able to set manual timers for timeslots that show program data, but I get a bogus error when I attempt to set a manual timer for timeslots without guide data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavemaster:
I would hate to think that upgrading to F202 takes features away.

My speculation -- okay... my hope! -- was that upgrading to F202 would crush the bug I'm suffering, not remove a feature. (Calaveras crushed that hope with Post #1082. Truth is a harsh mistress.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calaversas:
I went through it again. Press Menu, then Timers: Create: Select channel: Next: Enter timing parameters: Done.

Yeah, I was pretty blown away by it, too. Even more so by Tech Support's assertion that "...if the programming providers do not offer the guide data, timers cannot be set." But I've repeated my efforts to set manual timers MANY times, and the results are invariable:
- every attempt to set a manual timer succeeds if there is guide data for the program in question
- lacking guide data, every attempt to set a timer fails

I've tried workarounds like setting a timer for the same timeslot in question on a channel with guide data and then editing the timer to change the channel to one with no guide data. No data? No timer ...every time.

At this point, I'm powerless to explain the differences in our user experience.

If anyone else with incomplete guide data would like to share his or her experience with this scenario, I'm all ears.

And I will note in closing that (on my machine, at least) this same bug means that I can't set a manual timer for a timeslot out beyond the one week covered by TVGOS at its best. Is that consistent with other folks' experience? Are other folks satisfied with that limitation? I kinda hate it!

Jim
post #1097 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is what I did.

DVR button
Daily Timers
Timers
Create
Type: DVR
Repeat: Once
Channel: Channel that doesn't have data beyond today
Next
Set timer for 1/19 10:00 PM 30 minutes
Done

Worked no problems on FW 201.

I'll leave it programmed to see if it will record the news 2 weeks from today.

My Little Theater
post #1098 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

I had been taking the path Menu => Timers. I took sivartk's proven path (DVR Button => Daily Schedule => Timers) ...but got the same failure I always get. What the (heck)?!?

Jim
post #1099 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had been taking the path Menu => Timers. I took sivartk's proven path (DVR Button => Daily Schedule => Timers) ...but got the same failure I always get. What the (heck)?!?

Jim

Are you getting anything from TVGOS? I get a couple of channels with no data (which I used for testing), but the rest are populated.

I ask this because I wonder if this device is like the Sony and must get the official clock time from the TVGOS feed. Without that, you can't program the Sony. I wonder since you are only getting 12 hours of PSIP data that it can't see any time for that channel beyond 12 hours or so....

Maybe you need the official TVGOS time in order to set timers beyond the PSIP data???

My Little Theater
post #1100 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Are you getting anything from TVGOS? I get a couple of channels with no data (which I used for testing), but the rest are populated.

Maybe you need the official TVGOS time in order to set timers beyond the PSIP data???

Yes. I get a week's data on 2 of our five stations ...and the red TVGuide logo. On the remaining 3 stations, I get only 8-12 hours data.

Jim

P.S.
Thanks for being persistently helpful.
post #1101 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. I get a week's data on 2 of our five stations ...and the red TVGuide logo. On the remaining 3 stations, I get only 8-12 hours data.

Jim

P.S.
Thanks for being persistently helpful.

No problem, the only time I could reproduce your error is if there was truly a conflict (I tried a manual timer on a Monday at 7PM when both of my tuners are already in use).

I have no idea why it works for me and not you....

My Little Theater
post #1102 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1975 View Post

Hello everyone,

New member here. I have the DTVPal DVR, and have not had any of the locking/rebooting issues. [...] How many folks who are having the reboot/locking issues don't get TVGOS? Could echostar's botched implementation of TVGOS be causing the reboot issues?

Thanks,

Erik

For what it's worth, I haven't had any reboot issues either and also live in an area with no TVGOS service available. I did update the firmware on day 1 and then unplugged the ethernet after the update. I also disabled the update timer.

Andrew

Receiver ID R18800051xxx-xx
Software Version F202TALD-N
Bootstrap Version 1011TALD
Processor ID 29242913
post #1103 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Here is what I did.

DVR button
Daily Timers
Timers
Create
Next
Done

This works for me too, and my guide (PSIP only) doesn't show any data past 1/12, and all the 1/12 data is "No Information Available."

(Menu button -> Timers (6) -> Create -> rest is same as above)

Andrew

Processor ID 29242913
post #1104 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM

Yesterday and today when watching a recorded football game, I had several occasions when it seemed my Skip FWD button was advancing ~2 minutes instead of the normal 30 seconds. I'm guessing it might be by remote, but I'm not sure as my TV remote programmed with the Dish DVR code will do just about everything except the 30 skip.

Anyone else have any such behavior?

Sunday it was recording that was fully completed recording. Today I was time shifting through the program before it was over (but it was a programmed event).

Andrew

Processor ID 29242913
post #1105 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:

J...

And I will note in closing that (on my machine, at least) this same bug means that I can't set a manual timer for a timeslot out beyond the one week covered by TVGOS at its best....

Jim

I think this was noted previously, but if I try to set up a timer >14 days out, it defaulted back to +14 days (i.e. 1/19). As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, my PSIP guide data only goes through the 12th, so I can set a timer for beyond the time frame covered by my (PSIP) guide data.

Andrew

Processor ID 29242913
post #1106 of 18461 Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Here's something I haven't seen anyone mention. I recorded two programs back to back on the same channel. When I started each recording I got a message saying the program was missing parts due to signal loss. That's not an unexpected condition since I'm in a fringe area with multipath problems and channel dropouts do happen. I was curious to see how the DVR would handle this. But when I played each program back there was no hint of signal loss. I don't know why the message was displayed.

I also experienced my first freeze after being operational for a week. I had to unplug the unit.
post #1107 of 18461 Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post

For those of you following the reboot / lockup issues, an update:

Based on some of the suggestions here (from ProsPops and others), yesterday I set the update to DISABLE and set the zip code to 00000. I had one reboot thereafter, and then none for about a day. (I speculated that the new settings might not have taken effect until it rebooted, and then it was better).

There was some more discussion on this topic today on here, suggesting that perhaps the zip code didn't matter, and that only the disabling of the software update was needed to prevent reboots / lockups. So I got greedy and set the zip code back to 95123.

Since then (a few hours ago), I have had one reboot and one black screen lockup that was only recoverable by pulling the plug. Updates are still disabled.

We have to be very careful not to fall into the Post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy, but at the very least we can conclude that simply setting the update to DISABLE by itself does not fix the reboot / lockup problem on my unit. There is still some chance that having both the updates disabled and the zip set to 00000 fixes the problem.

I've reset the zip code to 00000 now, and we'll see what happens over the next hours and days...

It's possible that none of these things fixes it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Please keep us posted.

Well, the bad news is in: With both the updates disabled and the zip set to 00000, problems persist. I've had one more reboot and one more lockup that required pulling the plug to recover. So these settings per se do not solve all reboot/lockup problems.

I do supposedly have a new unit coming from Dish, and when I receive it hopefully I will find it is a luckier unit with no problems.

Some folks have asked whether they should delay or cancel orders because of this flaw. I would say that for an early adopter / tech enthusiast, the reboot/lockup issue is not a fatal annoyance. For a typical grandma, however, it would be a significant annoyance (although in defence of grandmas, I know some that are quite tech-savvy!). If you can figure out which extreme you're closer to, perhaps you'll know what to do. Odds are if you read this forum, you're more of a tech enthusiast.
post #1108 of 18461 Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Do you all feel some sort of disclaimer should be in the first post about these issues? If so, what should it say?
post #1109 of 18461 Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Here is what I did.

DVR button
Daily Timers
Timers
Create
Next
Done

Same procedure. I get the error. I have F202. I have 7 days of TVGOS on most channels.

This appears to be at least one difference between F201 and F202. I suspect the programmers tried to fix a bug related setting events from the guide and broke setting manual events in the process. (Dish programmers are known for breaking things when trying to make fixes.)

In my opinion, not a big problem, just an irritation. I can program for the channel once the PSIP data fills in, I just have to wait less than 12 hours before the event. I'll be testing if I have the reboot problem later today (no reboots so far) by recording two events and watching recorded events at the same time (something I not sure I actually did yet).
post #1110 of 18461 Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:

Here's something I haven't seen anyone mention. I recorded two programs back to back on the same channel. When I started each recording I got a message saying the program was missing parts due to signal loss. That's not an unexpected condition since I'm in a fringe area with multipath problems and channel dropouts do happen. I was curious to see how the DVR would handle this. But when I played each program back there was no hint of signal loss. I don't know why the message was displayed.

I get this message maybe a third of the time when starting to watch an event. The event has always been intact. The first time freaked me out. Now I just ignore the message.

Dish satellite DVRs have a similar message that comes up, but they come during the event at the missing data (not at the beginning), and that part of the program is always missing, though it usually not that long (occurs when an event was recording during a very heavy thunderstorm).
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page