post #11131 of 18298 Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccsup View Post

I believe the DTVPAL is infrared only.

I'm controlling it now with the supplied remote and its out of site, but yes it has good airflow. Its under the dresser with a good 4 inch clearance on each side.

Thanks again guys, I might try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-L.../ref=de_a_smtd

Which looks like it is learning and UHF to control the #2 Dish receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 18298 Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinsm View Post

I'm controlling it now with the supplied remote and its out of site, but yes it has good airflow. Its under the dresser with a good 4 inch clearance on each side.

Thanks again guys, I might try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-L.../ref=de_a_smtd

Which looks like it is learning and UHF to control the #2 Dish receivers.

The 21.0 remote can be set up as either infrared or UHF. It comes as UHF by default, but has a small switch in the battery compartment to change it to IR.
post #11133 of 18298 Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
Have you tried unplugging all of the cables from the DVR (antenna, HDMI, optical, etc.) and then unplugging the unit for a few minutes and then plugging it back in and rebooting it (with all of the cables still disconnected)? Sometimes an HDMI connection can cause problems with the DVR so I would try a component (HD) or composite (SD) connection to your projector to see if that changes anything. If at any point you can get into the Menu screens you should do a full factory reset and then see what happens from there.
Thanks for the help! I plugged it into power without anything else connected and it seemed to clear up the problem. I did the factory reset and then plugged everything back in. Now I need to wait for TVGOS so I can put my timers back in.
post #11134 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

The DTVPal DVRs are selling for some good prices (for the sellers anyway!) on eBay.

I bought four new units on eBay with shipped prices of $130, $180, $200 and $200. While I'm sure the sellers made money on their sales, I think I got a lot of DVR for $710. I tip my cap to the people who scour retailers for bargains so the rest of us can get a good deal from the comfort of our home.
post #11135 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
anyone want to sell their updated 208 dtvpal dvr for $140 pm me. i am watching kmart also for when they give 10% off again. today they are 5%off online

cm4221 with amp then 2 way splitter for 2 tv's at kayuta lake camp
antennacraft u4000 4-bay at home
post #11136 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles233 View Post

anyone want to sell their updated 208 dtvpal dvr for $140 pm me. i am watching kmart also for when they give 10% off again. today they are 5%off online

Is it time to rename the thread to "Sell, Trade, Buy DTVPal DVR" ?
[Good lord, this is AVS forum! ]
post #11137 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I noticed in my future schedule my mon - fri timers show the end time with the std subscript. For half hour timers this has the end time being before the start time. I let one of those go last night and it correctly recorded and in the schedule then showed with the correct time without the std subscript.

The time is correct for this week to start at 11:35pm. However for next week these timers somehow switch to a start time of 6:35.

Yet another timer that starts at 11:30 stays correct next week as well. Very odd
post #11138 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Is it time to rename the thread to "Sell, Trade, Buy DTVPal DVR" ?
[Good lord, this is AVS forum! ]

Relax. Having a "type A personality" isn't good for one's health.
post #11139 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Take a look onto first page - that's the spirit what was set by an OP;
and read those 100s posts what we see last months ...

BTW, making such flaming statement do telling about a personality of the poster...
post #11140 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM

I've had the dtvpal dvr for about 3 months now ( new unit with the Dish brand purchased off ebay for $200 shipped; wasn't able to find one at Sears Outlet in my area), use it as a supplemental dvr for "my" programs (sports & sci fi), main recording done with a 622 from Dish Network. I'm satisfied with the unit, does what it's supposed to do. I lost two timers with the time change, both on Fox, on Thursday's (Bones & Fringe). My other Mon & Tues weekly timers weren't affected. I'd buy another one, to me it's a good value for the price.
post #11141 of 18298 Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Liked: 11
Wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the timers disappearing, and setting up random events? I was having major issues until I did a reboot, and now it seems the issues are back. I am using the HDMI out. I had previously used the component and could switch back if necessary, but I would prefer not if not necessary... Also, I RARELY get the guide updates more than a few days in advance. I've had this this for a couple years, but I was using the Directv DVR until recently...
post #11142 of 18298 Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boober View Post

Wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the timers disappearing, and setting up random events? ..

Yep: See "Known Issues #2" in the first post.

bfdtv: Since this is common question asked during DST changeover, can you add some sort of a "Hot Link" at the beginning of your first post to highlight this known issue during DST changovers?
post #11143 of 18298 Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM

I recently acquired a Philips hdrw 720 so that I can archive some of the recordings off of my DTVPAL dvr.

Is there anyone on this forum that can give some pointers on how to do this? I'd like to send the video signal to the hdrw via component video but when I select 480p output on the dtvpal I get a double image output from the hdrw.

What's the most effective setup?
post #11144 of 18298 Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Doesn't the Pal have a 480i output setting? You'd have to use that.

Also, you might have to use composite rather than component.
post #11145 of 18298 Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The PAL does NOT have a 480i setting for component / HDMI. If you want a 480i, you will have to use the composite video (yellow) or the RF output.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #11146 of 18298 Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,

My aunt needs advice again. It is hard for me since I do not have my own Dish box to look it up for her.

Could someone be so kind to give me STEP BY STEP instructions on how to cancel a Scheduled show. That you no longer want. Before it gets recorded.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help
post #11147 of 18298 Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM

I just received my DTV PAL DVR today. I always unplug all my electronic devices before I go to bed to save on electricity, should I do the same with the DTV PAL DVR? Will doing so extend the life of the hard drive, and the DVR?
post #11148 of 18298 Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtam5874 View Post
I just received my DTV PAL DVR today. I always unplug all my electronic devices before I go to bed to save on electricity, should I do the same with the DTV PAL DVR? Will doing so extend the life of the hard drive, and the DVR?
It will probably shorten the life of the hard drive (spinning up / down all the time), plus you won't receive any TVGOS updates that occur during the night (not to mention scheduled recordings...what happens if you forget to turn the power strip back on...no recordings that day).

I would suggest some switched power supplies. They have an "always" hot plug (or 2) and then a switched plug.

For example, turn off the TV and it kills the power to all devices plugged into the "switched" outlets. Leave the PAL plugged into the always hot. So in essence you get the same effect but only have one power supply.

I do this with my PC speakers / monitor so that when the PC turns off, the power is cut to the speakers and monitor (no standby mode). Does it save much on electricity? Probably less than $1 a year at my current 9.4 cents / kWh

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #11149 of 18298 Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

... plus you won't receive any TVGOS updates that occur during the night (not to mention scheduled recordings...what happens if you forget to turn the power strip back on...no recordings that day).

You should read back mabuttra's posts - he found TVGOS data sending from noon to 6 pm usually and _nothing_ during night time.
post #11150 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

You should read back mabuttra's posts - he found TVGOS data sending from noon to 6 pm usually and _nothing_ during night time.

Actually TVGOS is sent out at night, but not in the evening. The first download of the day starts at 12:51am (that's just after midnight) and the last download of the day starts at 5:46pm.

Mark
post #11151 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any updates on the Austin situation?
post #11152 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Hi guys,

My aunt needs advice again. It is hard for me since I do not have my own Dish box to look it up for her.

Could someone be so kind to give me STEP BY STEP instructions on how to cancel a Scheduled show. That you no longer want. Before it gets recorded.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help

I'm assuming from your description that deleting the Timer that sets up the recording is what you're after. I'm not sure there's another way to stop the recording event anyway. I'm also assuming you're using the Dish remote for the Pal.

Press "Menu"
Press "6" (for Timers)
Press the "Left" arrow key to move the highlight into the Timer list
Use the "Up" and "Down" arrow keys to move the highlight to the Timer you wish to delete. The details about the highlighted timer will be displayed above the timer list.
Press "Select" to mark the highlighted timer
Press the "Right" arrow key to move the highlight to the action list
if necessary use the "Up" and "Down" arrow keys to move the highlight to the Delete action
Press "Select"
Use the arrow keys to move the highlight to "Yes" and press "Select"

That's it. If this was a recurring timer and your aunt decides she wants it back, it will have to be recreated from scratch.
post #11153 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

Any updates on the Austin situation?

I did a factory reset last night on mine and left the Austin station in the list. this morning the time was still correct and TVGOS was populated, but only time will tell. Prior to the factory reset it was about 5 minutes slow.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #11154 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Actually TVGOS is sent out at night, but not in the evening. The first download of the day starts at 12:51am (that's just after midnight) and the last download of the day starts at 5:46pm.

Mark

Oops, missed that window ... I saw no activity of TVOS datastream from 8am to noon here, but didn't check the traffic after midnight ... Perhaps it's covering same length, to 6 am ?
post #11155 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I did a factory reset last night on mine and left the Austin station in the list. this morning the time was still correct and TVGOS was populated, but only time will tell. Prior to the factory reset it was about 5 minutes slow.

Did the station make any changes?
post #11156 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

I'm assuming from your description that deleting the Timer that sets up the recording is what you're after. I'm not sure there's another way to stop the recording event anyway. I'm also assuming you're using the Dish remote for the Pal.

Press "Menu"
Press "6" (for Timers)
Press the "Left" arrow key to move the highlight into the Timer list
Use the "Up" and "Down" arrow keys to move the highlight to the Timer you wish to delete. The details about the highlighted timer will be displayed above the timer list.
Press "Select" to mark the highlighted timer
Press the "Right" arrow key to move the highlight to the action list
if necessary use the "Up" and "Down" arrow keys to move the highlight to the Delete action
Press "Select"
Use the arrow keys to move the highlight to "Yes" and press "Select"

That's it. If this was a recurring timer and your aunt decides she wants it back, it will have to be recreated from scratch.

Yes this is what I needed. Thank you very much. She only knows how to make a one time recording thru the GUIDE.

I think she did two shows at the same time and freaked out that she could not change the channel's only watch the shows she asked to record. She still has a hard time understanding the TWO tuners.

I still think these instructions will be too hard for her. Better to let the shows just record for the hour. She has a habit of pushing buttons. When she is doing this she might do something else to mess things up. Then I get blamed lol

I will forward these instructions to her.

You know what gets me. Is why the INSTRUCTION manual does not have all this information. In detail. Very frustrating.

Also with my cable DVR I can control it from the internet. It would make it easier to fix recording mistakes.
post #11157 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered, but:

I would like to be able to run a second HDTV recorder in a system with my DTVPal DVR as the primary one. I have my antenna cable hooked up to "RF in" on the Pal, and a cable to the second HDTV recorder coming out from "RF out." However, whenever the Pal is on, there's no signal from "RF out." When I turn the Pal off, the signal comes through fine. Also, analog pass-through gets the signal through just fine, but then I can't use the Pal.

So is there a way to make the Pal continuously pass through the RF signal even as it's operating?
post #11158 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Use a signal splitter.
post #11159 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Yes this is what I needed. Thank you very much. She only knows how to make a one time recording thru the GUIDE.

If she can find her way through the Guide to the program and could press RECORD there to set the recording that way, and she wants to cancel the event before it starts, then she can find her way through the Guide back to the same program and press RECORD again to cancel it.

For repeating timers or for timers set manually by time and date and channel and duration, DaveLR's instructions are the only way (except that there's another, longer, way to get to the Timers screen, but from there on out it's the same).
post #11160 of 18298 Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post

Did the station make any changes?

I sent a nice letter to Dusty on 10/26 and then again on 11/12. I made the case for the theory that the ROVI encoder is being forced to buffer its output because the KEYE ATSC bandwidth is "overstuffed". He has never replied to any of my emails since we started taking TVGOS timestamp data direct from the ATSC stream using TSReader. I checked yesterday or the day before and KEYE was still allocating 16.35 Mbps to their primary HD channel, (apparently in violation of industry standard practices and CBS station rules for stations that also broadcast a sub-channel). Anyway, he's ignoring me so if one of you that has a more 2-way "relationship" with him wants to give him a call and see if he ever plans to do anything, be my guest...

Meanwhile I've been forced to edit all timers padding the start time by 15 min. This is a pain, plus it creates un-necessary dual-timer conflicts, plus it causes the recordings to be mis-named, so I'm not very happy with KEYE. I'm considering sending a snail-mail letter up the food chain to:

- Dusty's boss at KEYE
- Nexstar (broadcast group that manages KEYE)
- Four Points (broadcast group that owns KEYE)
- CBS (on the assumption that the affiliate agreement may contain language placing technical restrictions on affiliates who broadcast the CBS feed)

Anyone got any other suggestions for where I might vent my frustrations? FCC? I'm sure all of the above will prove fruitless, but at least I'll feel a little better...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page