61Likes

post #11371 of 18259 Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Yes The Address is default 1. So my question was that this remote you recommended does not have a PAL button. So I am assuming the SAT button located were the PAL button would be. Is the one to press right? Press the SAT button to work the PAL DVR? Or is there a different button to press? YES, that would be the one

Also I am curious to know if the CM7000 Pal Remote would work with the DTVpal DVR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0qcu View Post

Those are not DVR remotes.

For some reason, I was thinking of the DTVPal CECB. Literally didn't get any sleep last night. Oh, well.

Glad someone caught that right away. Thanks.
post #11373 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Two questions that didn't turn up a search result;

1. Can the Guides channel order be changed, or is it always by ascending channel number?
2. Can CM's firmware be flashed to the original DTVPal, or is it somehow proprietary to CM's unit? (I did see one post stating as of a month ago, CM's current FW is suppose to be the same as the last FW from Echostar)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #11374 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0qcu View Post

Those are not DVR remotes.

Try a 5.3 IR remote for DVR's. A 6.3/6.4 remote in IR mode would also work.

Two quick questions pls

1) Has anyone actually tried any of these remotes with the DTVpal? They are verified to work?

2) The 6.3 or 6.4 model. How do you put it into IR mode? Never heard of such a thing.

I am looking on ebay to get one of these.

PS Thanks for the help. Really Appreciate it.
post #11375 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. Can the Guides channel order be changed, or is it always by ascending channel number?

Yes
Quote:
2. Can CM's firmware be flashed to the original DTVPal, or is it somehow proprietary to CM's unit? (I did see one post stating as of a month ago, CM's current FW is suppose to be the same as the last FW from Echostar)

I don't think its been tried.
post #11376 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

2. There is no reason do not believe in that - all components include main board are the SAME.

You could compare pictures of main PCB and told us if there any difference.

[If you want to conduct such test be free to send your DTVpl DVR - no warranty implied]
post #11377 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2. There is no reason do not believe in that - all components include main board are the SAME.

But, that doesn't mean it can be done. Just because components are the same, embedded firmware could easily prevent 'foreign' updates from working.

There could be some 'code' that the board looks for that is purposely different between what Echostar provided (from whomever wrote it for them) and what Channel Master nows provides (probably from a different firmware writer) that makes both incomparable with each other.
(Similar to having two video cards from different manufactures with the same chipset, if you swap cards in a PC, the next boot, the O/S will see a 'different' card and ignore the existing driver even though it is the same chipset and use the default driver from the O/S.)

Not to say this is the case, just that it is possible. Since no one has tried it, no ones knows for sure.

The reason for the question is, I see the older Echostar unit can be had for $50 less than the current CM version. Less than that if one picks one off e-bay etc. Ability to flash the bios with CM's newest firmware would/should update the older model. I was thinking of giving one as a gift, but for $350 is way overpriced for what it is. The same amount would buy a Sony DVR which is far more bang for the buck AFAIC in spite of the age of the unit.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #11378 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Chuck44; thanks for the 1st answer. Out of 11k posts, no one has ever asked that question??

post #11379 of 18259 Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The first question is answered in the manual and is obvious during setup. Of course you have to have the DVR or have downloaded the manual to know that.
Changing the Order of the Channels
Press MENU, select Preferences, and then Guide Display. Under Direction,
You can set up the on-screen Program Guide to list channels in descending
order, with the highest channel number at the bottom of the screen, or in
ascending order, with the highest channel number at the top of the screen.
The default setting is to list channels in descending order.

You can also select how much you see in the guide (number of channels and hours, not amount of detail).

There are cosmetic changes and the "phone home" URL has changed. You may have to rename the load to look like a Dish DTVPal DVR load once you get it on your flash drive. Just guessing but if you pull it off a lot of people would like to know the details.
post #11380 of 18259 Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A number of unnecessary comments have been deleted.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11381 of 18259 Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Two quick questions pls

1) Has anyone actually tried any of these remotes with the DTVpal? They are verified to work?

2) The 6.3 or 6.4 model. How do you put it into IR mode? Never heard of such a thing.

I am looking on ebay to get one of these.

PS Thanks for the help. Really Appreciate it.

I bought a 5.0 IR used, on EBAY, and it is functionally exactly the same as the PAL remote the only think you need to know is the PAL button in the upper left corner is labeled SAT on this remote but does the same thing.
post #11382 of 18259 Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrym80 View Post

I bought a 5.0 IR used, on EBAY, and it is functionally exactly the same as the PAL remote the only think you need to know is the PAL button in the upper left corner is labeled SAT on this remote but does the same thing.

Yes Thank you. I was looking and the Blue buttons seem to be labled differn't also. The CC and the SAP for example.

I guess my question was always. Do the different labeled buttons have the same OLD function. With your post the answer is YES.

So TY. I got confused because I chatted with DISH and they said nothing would work except an exact replacement.
post #11383 of 18259 Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Liked: 10
I have some marginal channel signals that occasionally get strong enough that my Pal includes them in the channel list. Automatically finds them, without my intervention. Is there a way to permanently exclude them? Or is this, from the first post of the thread, the best way to deal with that:

Alternatively, you can lock selected channels with the parental controls, and these channels will be hidden until you unlock the DVR.

Also, from Ken H: "A number of unnecessary comments have been deleted," and from the rest of us, thanks! Moderation is much appreciated.
post #11384 of 18259 Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

So TY. I got confused because I chatted with DISH and they said nothing would work except an exact replacement.

Dish's support staff didn't know anything about the pal DVR when it was an active product, why would they know anything about it now?

I sent an e-mail to Channel Master asking if the new firmware was compatible with the Dish version and never got a reply. So, I can't say one way or the other. Of course, as far as I know there hasn't been a Channel Master Update, so I don't know how you would be able to get a copy of the firmware to try.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #11385 of 18259 Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

I have some marginal channel signals that occasionally get strong enough that my Pal includes them in the channel list. Automatically finds them, without my intervention. Is there a way to permanently exclude them? Or is this, from the first post of the thread, the best way to deal with that:

I've never had the pal re-add a channel I'd manually deleted unless I did a factory reset. Mine at least seems to remember what channels you don't want, and doesn't add them back in.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #11386 of 18259 Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

I've never had the pal re-add a channel I'd manually deleted unless I did a factory reset. Mine at least seems to remember what channels you don't want, and doesn't add them back in.

Well, I've had weak channels get picked up more than once.
post #11387 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

I've had the DTVPAL for 8 months now. My experience has been the same as dkreichen1968 --- and with my set-up I have one channel that comes and goes on a regular basis.
post #11388 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1. Has anyone come up with a better procedure, or at least actual closeup photos of the top and bottom of this plastic case regarding disassembly as to exactly what these tabs/clips/hooks/latches (whatever they are) holding these two pieces together?
I see many posts regarding changing out the HDD, but nothing on what appears to be a PITA procedure to open the plastic case.

2. I saw nothing regarding replacing the SATA & power jumper with longer cables so a external drive could be used without mounting it inside the case. I don't see where/how this would be a problem and unless I missed something after doing a search, no one mentioned doing this.

3. There must be some type of SATA 'switch' where one could switch between HDD's that would work with this. Granted, the until would have to be powered off first to 'swap' drives, but according to posts, the original drive can be reinstalled and no recordings are lost (unless I read wrong).

post #11389 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Have you reviewed in and around these posts?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19350683
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19329684

Try searching this thread for the word SATA
post #11390 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No and thanks.

But, I still didn't see anything about a physical 'switch' instead of doing a swap which I would like to avoid. With no pics in the OP of the unit with the cover off other than the circuit boards w/o the HDD attached, all of those other pics of the unit on that guys pool table/work bench, I had no idea what I was looking at.

What I don't like about all those drop in drive adapters is the HDDs controller board exposed to static discharges, finger/hands/objects especially sharp and/or metal.
Drop in battery chargers, yes. Drop in HDD holders, no! Ok for a one time transfer of data, but not for long term storage. That four bay enclosed adapter/hold is ok, but a little overkill (unless you are a real archiver).

For $200 I can accept the plastic case, for $350+ I can't. From a manufacturing standpoint, how much more would a metal enclosure cost? $5? The unit has potential, too bad someone nickel and dime it.

post #11391 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No and thanks.

But, I still didn't see anything about a physical 'switch' instead of doing a swap which I would like to avoid. (

Either have I. Somewhere in this thread are excellent high quality pics of the guts, but I guess it's not in Post 1 (Which I hope you have read at least once!)
post #11392 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I looked at the OP twice. Nice pic of the chassis minus everything else.

post #11393 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Check this external enclosure - it could work for any device not just mentioned vip622. Just add rubber feet for raise a clearance to sit on top of the TR-50 case.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186999
post #11394 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Searching the thread for a keyword "bracket", getting the post ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=10870
post #11395 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. Can channels be removed from the Guide without being removed from the list? I "locked" some channels out from the list so they wouldn't get deleted, but they are still shown in the Guide. I know they can be completely deleted, but I would perfer them to just be hidden.

2. Can the order in the Guide be changed other than just descending or ascending? Move specific stations around.
IOW's edit the Guide like you can with TVGOS's software.

3. Has anyone discovered a hidden "service menu" yet?

4. Since SATA drives can be 'hot swapped' in Windows (supposedly, I have never tried it), has anyone tried the same here with the unit in standby?

5. If there is no signal (RF disconnected purposely), does the HDD still record? One would think it would not considering if signal is lost, the recording is lost.

6. In the standby mode, can I assume if there isn't a timer recording in progress, the HDD, though spinning is not recording?

7. When power is lost or unplugged, is TVGOS lost also?

The reason for the last three is in connection with #4. Just a idea.

post #11396 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Can channels be removed from the Guide without being removed from the list? I "locked" some channels out from the list so they wouldn't get deleted, but they are still shown in the Guide. I know they can be completely deleted, but I would perfer them to just be hidden.

Yes - there is a control to hide locked channels

Quote:

2. Can the order in the Guide be changed other than just descending or ascending? Move specific stations around.
IOW's edit the Guide like you can with TVGOS's software.

no

Quote:

3. Has anyone discovered a hidden "service menu" yet?

No

Quote:

4. Since SATA drives can be 'hot swapped' in Windows (supposedly, I have never tried it), has anyone tried the same here with the unit up and running even though the HDD is recording?

IF You understand how DVRs work - you wouldn't even ask this question. The short answer is hot swapping is impossible.

Quote:

5. If there is no signal (RF disconnected purposely), does the HDD still record? One would think it would not considering if signal is lost, the recording is lost.

I haven't tried this, but I think you would get an empty recording.

Quote:

6. In the standby mode, can I assume if there isn't a timer recording in progress, the HDD, though spinning is not recording?

The reason for the last two is in connection with #4. Just a idea.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #11397 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no hidden menu. What would be there ?
If a signal is gone, DVR will stop recording and a reason could be placed to the timer event.
Hot-swap is not good idea as the software doesn't support it; HDD swap could be performed but only during short reboot's window - read previous posts here, discussed briefly.
post #11398 of 18259 Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

5. If there is no signal (RF disconnected purposely), does the HDD still record?

No. In fact, this is how I manage to keep certain timers but prevent them from recording reruns.
post #11399 of 18259 Old 12-25-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes - there is a control to hide locked channels

Yes, I know that, but that wasn't the question. If you "hide" the channel, it still shows in the Guide. I want the channel available, but not in the Guide.
Quote:

IF You understand how DVRs work - you wouldn't even ask this question. The short answer is hot swapping is impossible.

There is no "if" here. I do know how they work considering I have six, one of which is this, to be given as a gift. The others are two different models. BTW, nothing is impossible. It might be challenging to do.
Quote:

I haven't tried this, but I think you would get an empty recording.

But, empty recordings get deleted, correct?
Quote:

No. In fact, this is how I manage to keep certain timers but prevent them from recording reruns.

Then if the drive is parked, thou it is still spinning, why can't it be hot swapped? The O/S is on a chip, not a hidden partition, correct? These aren't "C" drives on a PC with a O/S on a active partition, correct?

Has anyone tried it?

post #11400 of 18259 Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But, empty recordings get deleted, correct?

There is no such thing as an 'empty' recording. A timer never even starts if there is no signal.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page