60Likes

post #91 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

Do you know how many timers you can set?

I don't know yet, at least 9, that's how many I currently have set up (I was just trying it out, mostly kids stuff on PBS and I also set some at the same times to try out both tuners).

At one point it gave me an error when I tried to setup a second 2-hour event at the same time as two other 1-hour event. Said I couldn't do it, I deleted the two 1-hour events, programmed the 2-hour, then the two 1-hour events. No problems the second time.

My Daily Schedule actually shows 16 events, including 7 that I had setup and deleted (it apparently shows all the deleted timers) when I was playing around.

I kind of miss the named based recording that by 625 (and 508) Dish receivers have, but I can live with this. (My main purpose for getting the DTVPal is time-shifting network HD as I'm not going to upgrade to Dish HD at this time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

What is the process for changing the DVR address in case we need to?

1) Hit the Sys Info button to bring of the system information screen that shows the current remote address.
2) Press and hold the "pal" button at the top until all 4 mode buttons light up and let go of the button (which will stay lit).
3) Using the number keys, enter the new address from 1 to 16.
4) Press the POUND (#) button.
5) Press the RECORD button - Make sure you see the new address on the system information screen.

(I think if you skip the last step, i.e. RECORD, then you only change the remote address of the remote - I mention this in case you have a problem and need to set it back to the DTVPal's remote address, otherwise you won't be able to control the DTVPal .)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I would suggest leaving the PAL DVR on address 1, however, and change your other conflicting devices.

I tried that, setting my Dish 625 to another address, but the DTVPal's remote was still controlling the 625. (I think, I'm not, that Dish's receivers respond to remote address 1 from an IR remote regardless to what they are set to - perhaps a safety feature.) I had to change both to an address other than 1.
post #93 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

As for ATSC channel changing time, it's still a work in progress. Newer sets/tuners are usually quicker, so it would be disappointing to have the DTVPal be relatively slow.

Due to the newness of the unit and user experience, let's wait to see how this issue falls out. It could well be TVGOS or PSIP related issue, or any number of others.

channel change time can also be a handshake issue when using hdmi (at least that's my experience with the Sony 250, for which reason I stick with component and get just as good PQ)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #94 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyTVC15 View Post

The manual says if you are receiving TVGOS data then you will see the TV Guide logo in the upper right corner of the program guide. No logo then you are getting PSIP.

The manual says if you are receiving TVGOS data then you will see the TV Guide logo in the upper right corner of the program guide.

No logo then you are getting PSIP.

That's a nice tip to know.

post #95 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

channel change time can also be a handshake issue when using hdmi (at least that's my experience with the Sony 250, for which reason I stick with component and get just as good PQ)

My Sony has been both HDMI and component and I noticed no difference in channel changing times (directly connected to my Optoma HD72 projector)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #96 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
you guys with DISH, is the UI very close to the VIP622/722? i.e. speed and usability. Graphics look the same as far as I can tell minus the missing PIP during the guide.
post #97 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

I agree. Can we change the thread title please?

Then we'll end up with at least 3 threads - speculation, owners, and potential owners.
post #98 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

you guys with DISH, is the UI very close to the VIP622/722? i.e. speed and usability. Graphics look the same as far as I can tell minus the missing PIP during the guide.

Could you we get some screenshots?

If anyone has a Slingbox...please connect it to your DTVPal DVR to get some nice captures.
post #99 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873 View Post

.....The PQ looks good on my 60" Sony HDTV, the same as using Sony's built in Tuner. I am using a 16ft HDMI cable. Also, the audio in the HDMI cable does not seam to pass through from the DTVPal to the Sony's digital output that I have connected to my receiver, so I had to find an optical cable to connect to the DTVPal. This is probably an issue with the Sony (I was hoping to not have to use a separate cable, but no biggie)......

I might be off-base here, but I have a Sony SXRD, and it will only output PCM audio ....IRC. Might see if the Pal can send the audio as PCM and not Dolby.

Just a thought.

Chris C
post #100 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Some initial observations (oh and mine came with batteries for the remote, one RF cable and one audo/composite cable):

The PQ looks good on my 60" Sony HDTV, the same as using Sony's built in Tuner. I am using a 16ft HDMI cable. Also, the audio in the HDMI cable does not seam to pass through from the DTVPal to the Sony's digital output that I have connected to my receiver, so I had to find an optical cable to connect to the DTVPal. This is probably an issue with the Sony (I was hoping to not have to use a separate cable, but no biggie).

The tuner sensitivity is different than the Sony. The DTVPal was able to see two channels that the Sony could not see, though the signal of one was not enough to actually put up a picture. The Sony can see 2 channels that the DTVPal could not see (the Sony only sees channels strong enough to get a picture). I should note that I have not yet got my antenna mounted (Antennas Direct Clearstream C4 for those interested) and it's in the living room at the window (facing north) temporarily.

After and hour of so playing, there was no TVGOS guide data yet. Many channels had data until about 11:00 pm, and two channels (Fox & CW) had about 24 hours of data. I have an interesting situation, I am close to two DMAs (Harrisburg, PA and Baltimore MD), though I am technically in the Harrisburg DMA (Dish gives me these locals). I pick up all of the Baltimore channels and only a few Harrisburg (mostly with the Sony, only one with the DTVPal). According to RabbitEars.com TVGOS page, the Harrisburg CBS does not carry TVGOS, but I can't get it at the moment anyway. The Baltimore CBS does. I put in my actual Zip code, but I'm not sure that will be the right one to make it work - may need to enter a Baltimore zip.

The DTVPal allows manual timers to be entered, so this is good enough for me - I was a heavy VCR user before I got my Dish DVRs, so manual programming is acceptable for me.

I had one problem with the remote, which was interfering with my Dish 625 DVR in the same room, both were set to Remote address 1. I changed the 625 to another address, but the 625 still was picking up commands from the DTVPal remote. There was no procedure in the DTVPal manual for changing the remote address, but the procedure is the same as for the other Dish receivers. Once I changed the DTVPal's remote address, there was no more conflicts.

On oddity I noticed is that the guide will not come up if you are not watching live TV (or a recording) like if you paused live TV or rewound live TV. It just ignores the button, no message.

Hi nolim2873,

Are manual timers the only way to set recordings? I was hoping something would be integrated with the guide. I am not familiar with TVGOS, but is there a way to select a show from the guide and then choose "record"? Or, any other more flexible options to record programs on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc.)?

Thanks.
post #101 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wextasy View Post

Hi nolim2873,

Are manual timers the only way to set recordings?

No

Quote:

I was hoping something would be integrated with the guide. I am not familiar with TVGOS, but is there a way to select a show from the guide and then choose "record"?

Yes

Quote:

Or, any other more flexible options to record programs on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc.)?

Thanks.

Yes - but again - it is a channel, start time, duration type timer, not a name based event timer.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #102 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi nolim2873,
Are manual timers the only way to set recordings? I was hoping something would be integrated with the guide. I am not familiar with TVGOS, but is there a way to select a show from the guide and then choose "record"? Or, any other more flexible options to record programs on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc.)?
Thanks.

I believe the manual says that you can set recordings from the guide (like other high-def DVRs), and this applies whether the guide item is from PSIP or TVGOS, and it does have daily or weekly settings.

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/do...Pal_DVR_UG.pdf

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #103 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks!
post #104 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes - but again - it is a channel, start time, duration type timer, not a name based event timer.

hmm...so it doesn't label a recordings by the name given in the guide??? I'm not aware of other DVRs like that (and we have 3 different kinds at home). I just checked the manual, and it doesn't indicate how things are labeled.

Ugh! if true...(I would expect it to be channel/time only, only if there was no name available!)

post #105 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:

No

Yes

Hi,

I'm new to this. I have a couple of silly questions.

1). what is the difference between a name based timer and a channel, time duration timer and why is that difference important?

2). Why use HDMI cables to connect your DVR to your TV? Why not use coax?

I am following this thread because I intend to buy 2 of these DVR's and am concerned about rev 1.0 of anything but I need to do something by Feb.

Last, thanks to everyone checking this unit out. I appreciate it.

Ken M
post #106 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmm...so it doesn't label a recordings by the name given in the guide??? I'm not aware of other DVRs like that (and we have 3 different kinds at home). I just checked the manual, and it doesn't indicate how things are labeled.

Ugh! if true...(I would expect it to be channel/time only, only if there was no name available!)

When you see the listings of "My Recordings" - they list the scheduled "program". (i.e. "Two and a Half Men"). But they record whatever happens to be on that channel at 9 PM for that 30 minute period - so if it is a Christmas special - you get 30 minutes of xmas special. And it would be listed as the xmas special name.

post #107 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmerrith View Post

1). what is the difference between a name based timer and a channel, time duration timer and why is that difference important?

A name based timer will record the program whenever it turns up in the guide on any channel. You can also set record only once, all, or only new episodes (these are the options on Dish DVRs).

Quote:

Coax? Coax will not pass an HD signal to an HDTV. If you are connecting to an old SD (analog) TV, then yes, you can use coax.
post #108 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

I'm new to this. I have a couple of silly questions.

A channel/time/duration timer is exactly like a VCR record a programmed event. A Name based timer will follow the program around if the station moved it to a different time

Quote:

If you have an HDTV - you want the HDMI or component outputs - that is how you will be able to view HDTV. Coax or composite video should be used only if your TV can't do HDTV.

Quote:

I am following this thread because I intend to buy 2 of these DVR's and am concerned about rev 1.0 of anything but I need to do something by Feb.

Last, thanks to everyone checking this unit out. I appreciate it.

Ken M

All outputs on this unit are active at the same time - and you CAN view menus on the SD outputs as well as the HDTV ones.

post #109 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Would be curious about the PQ if anyone out there is using an analog TV and the composite or coaxial outputs of the DVR. (well it is a recession and an HDTV is a pretty big chunk of change right now).
post #110 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried that, setting my Dish 625 to another address, but the DTVPal's remote was still controlling the 625. (I think, I'm not, that Dish's receivers respond to remote address 1 from an IR remote regardless to what they are set to - perhaps a safety feature.) I had to change both to an address other than 1.

I know better than that - as I also have a 625. My DTVPAL DVR is set to "1" and the 625 is set to 3 and 6.

post #111 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you see the listings of "My Recordings" - they list the scheduled "program". (i.e. "Two and a Half Men"). But they record whatever happens to be on that channel at 9 PM for that 30 minute period - so if it is a Christmas special - you get 30 minutes of xmas special. And it would be listed as the xmas special name.

scooper, do you have TVGOS data? The TVGOS DVRs I have won't record a program if the name for a weekly setting doesn't correspond to the program name given in that time slot when it's ready to record...The Pal may not work this way, since I understand that that Tvgos data is slotted into the Dish-style guide, rather than the usual TVGOS guide...

post #112 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just got mine! I've been reading the manual from the web site site I was pretty much ready plus I have Dish Network and the remote is the same. Had my own component cable ( red green blue) and audio already in place. turned it on and was done in about 5 minuted. I know we don't have TVGOS here yet. The local CBS station just was bought by a new owner after bankruptcy so the don't even use PSIP. The PSIP guide looks great, just like the TVGOS on the Dish receiver. did some programing. Station with PSIP info. just press the select button and follow the options. manual record is menu > 6 > create The make your adjustments for channel,time, duration. It is easier than with the Dish VIP 722. This thing is great so far and for a 65 year old who was used to programing VCR's since 1980 this is much easier, Will look for more menu options and numbers later.

post #113 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

Anyone tried to open the case yet? One obvious case screw, one likely suspect on the back, a couple of tabs- but something else is holding it shut? Glue?

Sometimes manufacturers hide screws under the rubber feet.
post #114 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

scooper, do you have TVGOS data? The TVGOS DVRs I have won't record a program if the name for a weekly setting doesn't correspond to the program name given in that time slot when it's ready to record...The Pal may not work this way, since I understand that that Tvgos data is slotted into the Dish-style guide, rather than the usual TVGOS guide...

Yes I do get TVGOS data - got the logo and confirmed by email with the engineer of the CBS station. And yes - it is simply slotted into a grid, not using any channel logos, etc. However, it doesn't need TVGOS data to set timers.

post #115 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone figure out how to delete a used timer listing?
Maybe it deletes itself after a period of time?
So far I really like this machine.
post #116 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Anyone have any idea what the "smart card" is for? I assume it's for future features. Network based features? Movie downloads?

I haven't hooked mine up yet, but will tonight. Just wondering if anyone tried removing the card to see what happens.
post #117 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Coax? Coax will not pass an HD signal to an HDTV. If you are connecting to an old SD (analog) TV, then yes, you can use coax.

What about coax to the ATSC tuner on the tv, will it pass the signal without the need to split it? It would be nice to record 2 things with the DVR and watch a third on the tv.

Current DirecTV user looking to go OTA, but need a DVR.
post #118 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I know better than that - as I also have a 625. My DTVPAL DVR is set to "1" and the 625 is set to 3 and 6.

I'm just telling you what it did for me. My 625 was set to 1 (TV1-IR) and 8 (TV2-RF). I figured I only had to change the 625 TV1 address, so I changed it to 5. However, the 625 was still responding to the DTVPal's remote. Once I set the DTVPal to 3, it's remote stopped controlling the 625.
post #119 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A channel/time/duration timer is exactly like a VCR record a programmed event. A Name based timer will follow the program around if the station moved it to a different time

Another benefit of name-based recording is that it checks and sets the appropriate time window for each episode.

A number of popular shows vary from 59:55 to 1:01:00, week to week. Examples include shows like Fringe, Heroes, House, and The Mentalist. If you create a repeating recording based on a one-hour episode, you'll miss the ending of other episodes. To avoid this, you can "pad" your recordings with an extra 1-2 minutes.

Occasionally, networks will also show two episodes back to back, two shows in a week, or offer special "extended" episodes. A few weeks ago, FOX ran a new House episode on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, and it ran for a full 1:08 instead of 1:00. Timer-based recording doesn't catch those programs, unless you specifically schedule a recording for the special showing that week.
post #120 of 18257 Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

What about coax to the ATSC tuner on the tv, will it pass the signal without the need to split it? It would be nice to record 2 things with the DVR and watch a third on the tv.

Current DirecTV user looking to go OTA, but need a DVR.

Sorry, I was confused what you were asking. I thought you meant the output of the DTVPal through the coax - that will only give to SD on channel 3 or 4.

I just tried what you asked because mine is currently recording two shows. I had to turn off the DTVPal (it was still recording, just the output was turned off), but once off, I could watch a third channel on the TV.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page