74Likes

post #1591 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsPops View Post

It is encouraging that the Pal DVR (when using TVGOS) sees the daily changes in a programs scheduled start time. I.E. Last night when W did his thing my guide almost immediately changed to reflect the times the following programs were then set to begin, and the timers I had set to fire were also changed. They went off without a hitch and recorded from the beginning of the shows, but.

It is discouraging that the Pal DVR (when using TVGOS) does NOT see the time for the end of a show that has been pushed forward buy such an event as last night. Meaning, even though the timers fired at the proper start time, they ended at the normal scheduled end time and that means you lose the end of the show.

I am hoping this would be a software issue that could be fixed.

I agree, i saw the same thing last night. I basically had to extend the time of grey's anatomy and CSI by 15 minutes when i saw the changes in the guide. That's the difference between a name based and time based DVR. Maybe we'll see it changed in a future update but i'm not holding my breath. Oh well, I still love my DVR and think the price was a steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
This is because the DTVPal DVR does time based recordings (just like your old VCR). The name is just for convenience. In order to be able to do name based recording, Echostar would have to change the functionality of the DVR box....don't count on it. (It is possible as the Sony HD DVR's do name based recording and use TVGOS...bad thing is that if the show is off the air for 3-4 weeks, it just deletes your scheduled recording and you have to reschedule before it airs again (I.e. over the holidays))

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #1593 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM

It looks to me like the DVR gets the program start time from TVGOS if it can, but because it is time based it gets the end time from the duration that was set for the timer.
Seems simple enough to have the SW do a final check of the end time based on the actual start time of the event and shift accordingly.

Bob
post #1594 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

... They also don't have reboots listed. ...

Under overheat is says reboot is a symptom but I think it is clear there are other causes.

When you say power off do you mean press the button on the remote or unplug it?
post #1595 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Check out this review on the TR-50 written in Jan. 2008. Seems almost prophetic!

The part that I find most interesting...

"I am very excited about the TR-50 hopefully Echostar can properly market the TR-50 as a cool exciting product and not treat it as its some generic product like they did for many of their Dish Network products (including Dish Network itself.) This should be marketed as a cool hip product that lets you watch TV on your time. The folks at Echostar can build the best receiver ever (and I am not saying this one is or is not) but without the proper marketing these things may never sell."

Is it just me or has Echostar really missed the potential of this product with its mass marketing (or lack thereof)? Of course with all the lock ups/reboots, they are probably saving themselves a big headache from the Walmart crowd! Maybe B&M is the future after the early adopters complete the beta testing and E* gets all the bugs worked out and the product is actually ready for retail sales.
post #1596 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhimpey View Post

Check out this review on the TR-50 written in Jan. 2008. Seems almost prophetic!

The part that I find most interesting...

"I am very excited about the TR-50 hopefully Echostar can properly market the TR-50 as a cool exciting product and not treat it as its some generic product like they did for many of their Dish Network products (including Dish Network itself.) This should be marketed as a cool hip product that lets you watch TV on your time. The folks at Echostar can build the best receiver ever (and I am not saying this one is or is not) but without the proper marketing these things may never sell."

Is it just me or has Echostar really missed the potential of this product with its mass marketing (or lack thereof)?

I agree with the reviewer...this could fill a big void in the open market...and make them lots of bucks...instead, no one has heard of it except the first adopters.

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips
post #1597 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

Well had my first reboot this evening.

Also the last two maybe three days some of my recordings have broke themselves into two different segments usually toward the end of the show and I end up missing like a minute or two between the segments.

When were you recording? If you were recording while you were not watching you may have had a reboot then also. When you have a reboot during a recording it will split the recording. Look at your power cycle count.

There are a few people who had a reboot shortly after getting their DVR but it seems that in most cases everything is OK for a while then you start getting reboots. I don't know what this means but I believe it is a significant clue and will make sense once we find out what is going on. Heat build up over time? Too many events scheduled? Component(s) that are showing infant mortality? Power condition? Lots of ideas but nothing has stuck yet.
post #1598 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 11:26 AM

/\\ I have had as many as 35 events scheduled. Just FYI for the knowledge base.

Bob
post #1599 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

When you say power off do you mean press the button on the remote or unplug it?

Just power off at the remote, green light off. Or do they just rely on the inactivity time out.

Which I guess is more accurately described as stand-by instead of power off, pg.25. But power off is what they said on the web site help.

This is their fix on many of the troubleshooting tips:
"Unplug the DTV Pal DVR from the AC electrical outlet, plug the DTVPal DVR back in and power it on."
post #1600 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

/\\ I have had as many as 35 events scheduled. Just FYI for the knowledge base.

If I recall correctly, a maximum of 50 events was allowed under the original software for the Dish Network 5xx series satellite DVRs.

Who will be the first to push 50?
post #1601 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.green@iwon.com View Post

I agree with the reviewer...this could fill a big void in the open market...and make them lots of bucks...instead, no one has heard of it except the first adopters.

Are you really that surprised, given the state of the current software?

I would not expect any significant marketing effort for the DTVPal DVR until more issues are worked out.
post #1602 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It looks to me like the DVR gets the program start time from TVGOS if it can, but because it is time based it gets the end time from the duration that was set for the timer.
Seems simple enough to have the SW do a final check of the end time based on the actual start time of the event and shift accordingly.

As per the FAQ in the first post, the guide information on the DTVPal DVR gives you the start and end times for the initial recording timer.

After you create a recording timer, the DTVPal DVR never looks at the guide again, except to label the recording with the program title and description of whatever program is showing in that slot. There is no link between the recording you make and the name of the program.
post #1603 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I would not expect any significant marketing effort for the DTVPal DVR until more issues are worked out.

bfdtv,

You've hit the nail on the head. I edited my earlier post to reflect the obvious.
post #1604 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

I would also not expect it to hit the retail shelves either, until the reboot issues are resolved.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1605 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:

As per the FAQ in the first post, the guide information on the DTVPal DVR gives you the start and end times for the initial recording timer.

After you create a recording timer, the DTVPal DVR never looks at the guide again, except to label the recording with the program title and description of whatever program is showing in that slot. There is no link between the recording you make and the name of the program.

I understand that it is not named based recording.
But the fact is that my set timers were pushed forward and fired at the new time for the program beginning that was now listed in the guide, they just did not adjust the end time the same way.

Bob
post #1606 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

But the fact is that my set timers were pushed forward and fired at the new time for the program beginning that was now listed in the guide, they just did not adjust the end time the same way.

Mine did the same, and I only get PSIP.
Edit:
I happened to notice the change in the guide in time to change the end time,
so I didn't lose any of CSI.
post #1607 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Mine did the same, and I only get PSIP.

Interesting...
post #1608 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting...

Very Interesting indeed, can't wait to her more about this one, maybe there is hope for name based recording in the future, distant future anyway!

Jay
post #1609 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM

[quote=Sailn;15570064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymonkey View Post

What happens when you want to watch 2 stations and each is on a different antenna?

Its really rare that I watch 2 stations at the same time that actually interfere with one another. If that ever happens I do one of two things.

Tweak the rotor so both stations come in (turning the preamp off is usually a convenience so I don't have to get up and turn the rotor)

If that doesn't work there is always a station in another market with the same programming. (I'm in an area where I get 65 stations (analog and digital) so there is lots to choose from.

If that does not work for you then I guess you would have to choose which one is more important. For me its never been an issue, especially with ATSC. It was really only an issue for me when the station was analog only and was always solvable.
post #1610 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Has anyone received their unit from the second batch that was to be shipped after the 12th and if so, are you having the same problems
post #1611 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM

I placed my order for the DTVPal DVR on 1/5, estimated shipping date given was 1/12. I called Dish Network on 1/13 to ask if my unit had shipped and was told that it did. I called again yesterday to ask for a tracking number and was told that I could not be given a tracking number because my unit DID NOT ship. I'm don't know if the DVR actually shippped, I do know I wish I had found this thread BEFORE I placed my order. If I knew that so many people who already have this unit were having problems with it, I probably would not have ordered it. Has anyone received their unit from the second batch?
post #1612 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM

I'm currently paying TWC $63 a month for tv service and $9.95 for DVR service. Their Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD box is crap. I've been having so many problems with this box like, picture constantly freezing, audio dropping every 2 seconds, 48 minute recordings of 60 minute programs, just a whole lot of problems. So when I came across the DTVPal DVR I thought, "Hey, most of the programs I watch are on OTA stations. I'll just purchase this box, drop TWC and save some money." Now, after reading some of the comments posted here, I'm thinking that it will probably be better if I just stay with TWC. This box cost me $249.99 ($280.63 after shipping and tax). I'm looking for ways to SAVE money, I didn't have $249 to throw away on a unit that probably will not work properly or, even worst, not work at all.
post #1613 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfocused View Post

I placed my order for the DTVPal DVR on 1/5, estimated shipping date given was 1/12. I called Dish Network on 1/13 to ask if my unit had shipped and was told that it did. I called again yesterday to ask for a tracking number and was told that I could not be given a tracking number because my unit DID NOT ship. I'm don't know if the DVR actually shippped, I do know I wish I had found this thread BEFORE I placed my order. If I knew that so many people who already have this unit were having problems with it, I probably would not have ordered it. Has anyone received their unit from the second batch?

There are only a few people having problems with it. Most of the people that aren't having problems aren't posting here because they are happily enjoying there DVR at home and have nothing to bitch about.
post #1614 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyTVC15 View Post

There are only a few people having problems with it. Most of the people that aren't having problems aren't posting here because they are happily enjoying there DVR at home and have nothing to bitch about.

As a happy owner (purchased Nov 19 and received Dec 23) I agree.
post #1615 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with Dish and I'm happy to say that I now have a tracking number! I will have my DVR on Tuesday, January 20th. I can't wait!!!
post #1616 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

29 people have voted in the poll that they are having the problems (including you). That's more than a few, don't you think. Quite a few of those people were active in the speculation thread before and/or during the Nov preorder period before the units started arriving (including you). Unless you think those people were singled out to get defective units, the problems are more widespread than you are willing to admit.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1617 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfocused View Post

I placed my order on 12/27 and was eventually given the 1/12 shipping date also. I called three times after the 12th and did eventually get a tracking number. UPS shows it is "In Transit" with an expected delivery date of 1/20. It actually shipped on 1/15.
post #1618 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Not that I'm suggesting it, but if there was another poll (..... some are very dissatisfied, others can live with any reboots or freezes they've experienced. )
Anyway, I would think most ( 70% or more) are overall satisfied, maybe even happy with their purchase .....
Just because someone may have vote in the poll that they've experienced one or both of the problems doesn't mean they regret the purchase.
The DTVPal isn't problem free, but then again , at least for me it's not a deal breaker. No regrets !
post #1619 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Ok, so I had my first possible reboot last night.
My wife was recording ER (on a timer) last night, and when I got home I found it split into 2 parts.
1 of them was 44 Min long and the other was 18 Min.
So I figure that I had a reboot during the recording.
I checked my counter and my "No of power cycles" went up by 1.

Nothing new to you guys with daily resets..... but here's the interesting part.
The TVGOS descriptions for the 2 parts of ER did not match.
They were close but not the same.
I was going to post the differences in the descriptions today after work, only to find that she deleted the recordings before I could.
Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy in the TVGOS data? (on broken up recordings)

Thanks,
S

All electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working.
post #1620 of 18294 Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

29 people have voted in the poll that they are having the problems (including you). That's more than a few, don't you think.

I've had a total of 2 reboots in the more than 3 weeks I've had it and haven't had one for a couple weeks now. And even those reboots were a minor inconvenience (took all of about a minute to reboot for a total of 2 minutes of inconvenience) compared to all the enjoyment the unit has given me. Sure it ain't perfect, show me one that is. But i'd still give it a 9 out of 10.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page