88Likes

post #151 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

Is the clock on the unit correct? Check it against your cell phone.

It appears to be a minute or less behind my cell phone time, which wouldn't account for the 8 or 9 minutes. Also would not account for why the programs ended on time and not early.

At this point anything is possible, I'm going to continue to experiment to get familiar with what it does before I actually need it when the shows come off repeats in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post

This thing picks up the OTA HD signal better that my internal HD tuner on the TV, it also does a much sharper and clearer picture quality.

Ah yes!

Maybe I'm not the only one seeing things like this after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Highly unlikely, unless your set has a technical issue. Have you checked the display forum, for other's experiences with your set?

Ken,

Yes, I've checked and posted on the Panny px80u forum. No dice. Then I went back to the B&M store where I bought the tv and the floor model displayed the same pq as mine.
I have this gripe because when I subscribed to dish network I used a vip 222 hd receiver and the pq from it's atsc tuner was cleaner and sharper than the pq coming from the tv's built in atsc tuner (mainly 720p broadcasts). Very similiar to what autobot described. Now that I no longer subscribe to Dish I am discontent watching 720p broacasts. So I'm hoping the pal dvr will exhibit the same sharp pq as I was used to seeing on the vip 222 (ota input-not satellite channels).

Autobot, what make/model is your hdtv?
post #153 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwnt1 View Post

I had the unit paused while on the phone and at 8:58 PM the dish logo comes on and then a guide update screen. The guide updated and the pal returned to live tv without any buffer to run back to where I was.
I have the time,zip and pacific zone configured right. I wasn't recording at the time so I don't know if it would stop the recording like it did last night.
Any thoughts or help? I checked the update default time and it is set for 1 AM.

I learned last night (it may be common knowledge to users of other dvr's) that if you have paused a program you loose it if you happen to change the channel.

I thought I saw a setting for what time to check for updates. I think mine was set at 1:00am. Are you saying that it updates periodically anyway throughout the day?

I am pleased with mine to this point. It is doing most everything I expected, except usb backup. I'm still learning all the features.
post #154 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 AM

How is the build quality? Plastic? Does it have solid output connectors and such. Does it feel cheap?
post #155 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 AM

It appears good to me. It is quiet, picture quality is good as previously mentioned. Nice piece of equipment.
post #156 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

It appears good to me. It is quiet, picture quality is good as previously mentioned. Nice piece of equipment.

Same here. Its definitely a keeper.
post #157 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

Yes, but WHY does it need that HUMP on top? To keep stuff off? Fine, but lose the hump
post #158 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw390 View Post

... WHY does it need that HUMP on top?

Probably so you'll install it "top-of-the-stack"...

I don't like humps on boxes either. I'm just glad Echostar came up with something like this for OTA viewers.
post #159 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallasGuy View Post

I'm pretty much ready to order the DTVPal DVR. About the only reason I'm waiting is to get some early reviews on the picture quality.

Specifically (assuming you watch on an HDTV...and not an older analog TV):
1) Does the live picture quality coming through the DTVPAL DVR look pretty much as good (or fairly close to) the picture quality from the HDTV alone?

2) Does the recorded playback picture quality from the DTVPal DVR look pretty much as good (or fairly close to) the picture quality as a live broadcast? (Does there seem to be any degradation in the quality from being recorded and then played back?)

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

1) On my Sony KDS-60A3000 internal tuner which has a great HD PQ however the DTV PAL tuner live PQ is better than the internal HD tuner fact its MUCH BETTER.

2) Recorded House and the PQ was as good as the Live I could not see a difference.

Also the Dolby Digital output sounds better too.
post #160 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Thanks for the detailed testing!

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) Is your DTVPal DVR outputting the the same resolution that the stations were broadcasting? If not, that is the likely cause of the problem.
2) One test might be to swap the two HDMI inputs on the TV to see if that makes any difference.
3) Another test might be to try swapping the two HDMI cables to see if that has any effect.
4) If it's coincident with sound, I'm also wondering if muting might make any difference. (Muting on the DTVPal DVR, if possible, but maybe muting somewhere else, like the TV or amplifier, might also be worth trying.

Thoughts?

Reg

1. Yes, the output was matching the broadcast output.
2/3. Yes, I plan to do that today. I'll try both HDMI and component combinations with different cables, etc..
4. No muting on the unit itself. The mute button on the remote is for TV or amp.

Thanks for the input.

Time to go see if I have TVGOS data....
post #161 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I had the unit paused while on the phone and at 8:58 PM the dish logo comes on and then a guide update screen. The guide updated and the pal returned to live tv without any buffer to run back to where I was.
I have the time,zip and pacific zone configured right. I wasn't recording at the time so I don't know if it would stop the recording like it did last night.

Quote:

It happened again. I checked my recording program I forgot about and my 2hr Nova recording is now 3 separate recorded segments and I lost my short buffer. Bummer, I don't think there will be anybody at dish that can help. May be this is what they were disclaiming in their disclaimer.

Thanks for the updates, iwnt1!

To me, one of the main benefits of having two tuners is that it avoids having to use the tuner which is currently recording to receive updates.

[soapbox]

So, Dish, here's what you are going to do:

1) When only one program is being recorded and you need to do an update, USE THE OTHER TUNER FOR THE PROGRAM GUIDE UPDATE.
2) When both tuners are recording and you need to do an update, FORGO THIS UPDATE AND GET IT NEXT TIME AROUND.

And, while I have your ear:

3) DON'T SPIN THE HARD DISK WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED. We customers do not appreciate this type of planned obsolescence. Trust me, you will get more business from us in the long run if you do the right thing.

[/soapbox]

Reg
post #162 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question - My units (2) are comming today to my sons house. He has high speed internet (I only have dial up - probably the only one on the forum). Can I hook it up to one of his tv's and go right to the software update? without doing the rest of setup untill I get it home. They are not yet providing the other download method via the memory stick.
Thanks,
Bernieoc
post #163 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

Thanks for the updates, iwnt1!

To me, one of the main benefits of having two tuners is that it avoids having to use the tuner which is currently recording to receive updates.

[soapbox]

So, Dish, here's what you are going to do:

1) When only one program is being recorded and you need to do an update, USE THE OTHER TUNER FOR THE PROGRAM GUIDE UPDATE.
2) When both tuners are recording and you need to do an update, FORGO THIS UPDATE AND GET IT NEXT TIME AROUND.

And, while I have your ear:

3) DON'T SPIN THE HARD DISK WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED. We customers do not appreciate this type of planned obsolescence. Trust me, you will get more business from us in the long run if you do the right thing.

[/soapbox]

Reg

I agree with the above. It is totally beyond belief how people can design something without thinking things through or seeing what the competition does.

In addition, why NOT name based recording? Do their satellite receivers not do it. And especially yes, why spin the hard drive. The sastellite receivers don't (at least mine doesn't). The stupid box is a computer. It can go

IF (TIME + 2 minutes = record start time) then SPIN UP
else
dont do nuthin

Hey dish....how about getting your Linux programmers to make this a firmware update?
post #164 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw390 View Post

Yes, but WHY does it need that HUMP on top? To keep stuff off? Fine, but lose the hump

Likely because they don't want you putting other A/V units or stuff on top and then blocking the ability for it to dissipate the internal heat.
post #165 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 07:54 AM

Liked: 12
So I set mine up yesterday and did the FW update. Picture looks very good, the tuner is definitely quicker than the Sony HD DVRs I own, PSIP data comes up pretty quickly here in MN, and finally being able to record two shows at once rocks!!!

I did not have an issue with guide stopping the programming but I did not watch much last night. Using HDMI and audio/video work fine.

I think whoever mentioned that the 1:00AM update is for software updates and not for guide data must be right.

Mine also came with the batteries.

So far so good!!!
post #166 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sounds like the unit rebooted on you and went back to defaults.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #167 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

So I set mine up yesterday and did the FW update. Picture looks very good, the tuner is definitely quicker than the Sony HD DVRs I own, PSIP data comes up pretty quickly here in MN, and finally being able to record two shows at once rocks!!!

I did not have an issue with guide stopping the programming but I did not watch much last night. Using HDMI and audio/video work fine.

I think whoever mentioned that the 1:00AM update is for software updates and not for guide data must be right.

Mine also came with the batteries.

So far so good!!!

do you know if you are/will be getting TVGOS?

I live in Ramsey I hope we will, I called the station and never got a call back.

I hope my unit shows up today!

Thanks

Jay
post #168 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The PQ should be as good as your analog TV is capable of displaying.

The FCC requires them to use PSIP.

Right -- but stations vary in their diligence in using and maintaining PSIP, correct? If they all were as good as the best, even a PSIP-only guide on a unit like this could be impressive.
post #169 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

Just curious if there is any indication in the menus or setup areas for a future option to connect an external HD to the USB tap.

In the review of the tr-50 on youtube they said the USB port is for connecting external storage device to incress storage.
post #170 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

How about some pictures and videos of a working unit.
post #171 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 View Post

do you know if you are/will be getting TVGOS?

I live in Ramsey I hope we will...

I received it with my Sony HD DVR so I assume so but I'll post later after I check.
post #172 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:08 AM

Another complaint about the TR-50. WHY does it not have smoothscan at high speed FF/REW? Why is Sony the only guys who can do it. I had a Sony DVSP360 DVD player (10 yrs old?) and no matter what speed, smooth motion. My panasonic DVD even my HD players, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk.
post #173 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Actually, I havent used it ALOT but so far PQ is on par with my Sony 250 or Panasonic DMREZ27 or my (now sold) Samsung DTB-H260F. I wish the TV Guide screen was more like the Sony. Nice and squashed at the top of the screen with a scroll area below. My firmware did update since I plugged in yesterday F202, maybe Scott G, since he's so cozy with Dish can ask them to post with each firmware fixes what. We would all be MUCH happier campers. And none if this "playback improvements" like for HDDVD and BR players
post #174 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

(...) I think whoever mentioned that the 1:00AM update is for software updates and not for guide data must be right.(...)

No, its for guide updates. I can't find it in the manual, but if you go to the updates page in options and click Help it clearly says its for guide updates.
post #175 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Menu, Setup, DVR Default Options.
post #176 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes in MN we get TVGOS.
Here goes some pics:

I used a .3 MP setting on my camera as to not use too much bandwidth but it did make the picture quality suffer but you all get the idea anyway.
post #177 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

No, its for guide updates. I can't find it in the manual, but if you go to the updates page in options and click Help it clearly says its for guide updates.

Ah...but what guide updates? TVGOS or PSIP?
post #178 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

akbundle,

Could I get your permission to link one or two of those pictures in the first post?

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #179 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Nice....i think i'm going to like this unit. Thx for the pics.
post #180 of 18348 Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 AM

I prefer the true TVGOS guide but this is nice as well.
Here is a pic of the front and back of the unit(again at low res):

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page