Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I just got this a couple days ago with firmware F201. I have been trying to set timers without success. I have used timers through the guide and manual, and after setting them, I turn the DTVPal DVR to standby. Upon powering the unit back on, the programmed timers are gone. Has anybody else had these issues? Is the only solution just to leave the unit on or does the new firmware F202 address this issue? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfocused View Post

Another question, how do you turn off automatic updates?

Under menu/setup/updates/
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrym80 View Post

Where is the reboot, power cycle counters that people have talked about located in the menu?

Menu->3 Setup->2 System Setup->6 Diagnostics-> Counters-> page down (key on remote)
S

All electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Under menu/setup/updates/

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebes View Post

Menu->3 Setup->2 System Setup->6 Diagnostics-> Counters-> page down (key on remote)
S

Thanks,
Intresting, it showed 4 power cycles, not sure wher the other 2 came from.
Anyway cleared it,
see what happens now with updates disabled.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil08 View Post

Hi all,

I just got this a couple days ago with firmware F201. I have been trying to set timers without success. I have used timers through the guide and manual, and after setting them, I turn the DTVPal DVR to standby. Upon powering the unit back on, the programmed timers are gone. Has anybody else had these issues? Is the only solution just to leave the unit on or does the new firmware F202 address this issue? Thanks for your help!

Have you changed anything from the default settings? I would try doing the reset to factory settings, and see if your good.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Have you changed anything from the default settings? I would try doing the reset to factory settings, and see if your good.

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If I leave the unit on (green light on), I don't have any problems with the timers. Do most people just leave this on 24/7?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 PM

OK so I had my 2nd reboot last night.
The box went black at 23:50 central time
Red and green lights both came on while I was browsing the dvr recordings menu.
Screen went black.
Box restarted on its own after about 10 seconds.
Next I got a DTV PAL splash screen.
Then the "Downloading Guide Data" screen.
I immediately went to the guide and found only approx 24 hours (PSIP) data with no TV Guide logo.
Checked the counters +1
Watched live TV for about 10 min.
Went back to the guide and found TV guide logo and approx 7 days of data (TVGOS).

Starting to think that the TVGOS is causing the reboots.
I am wondering if anyone knows how long or how many times the TVGOS system sends data.

Does anyone have any good links on how TVGOS is sent, or how the TVGOS system works?

Thanks
S

All electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM

I got my unit yesterday (the second batch). I plugged it in and to my dismay, a green hue/tint is shown when it is run through HDMI. The HDMI runs through a receiver which is hooked up to a 1080p projector. I then ran it through component cables and it works fine. Anyone have this same HDMI problem or know what might be the problem with the HDMI? FWIW, I dont experience the green tint problem in any other devices I have hooked it up to (Cable TV box, ROKU, PS3, etc.)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got mine yesterday also. Hooked everything up and set it to record Fringe which was good since I missed the first 5 minutes. Nice to be able to go back and watch. Set it up to record a couple of other things last night, one at 10, one at 10:30, pushed the power button on the remote which left only the record light on the dvr light, no green and went to bed. Got up this morning both green and red were lit and tv was searching to find the hdmi signal. Assumed it was hung, no response from remote. Unplugged, waited 20 sec, plugged back in and get a loading please wait screen for a couple seconds. Then nothing - tv again searching for signal. Tried different hdmi ports and two different cables, same result. Anyone else have this happen?

Will contact Dish today.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 AM

I did a factory reset, formated the dive twice, disabled the updates and tried to watch the 10:00 news and the thing rebooted twice.

So after having the unit for a day and a half its rebooted/froze 17 times.

Now what?

Have any of you returned a unit and got a working one back?

I did not try the firmware update but from what I here that does not change anything or correct this issue.

Jay
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil08 View Post

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If I leave the unit on (green light on), I don't have any problems with the timers. Do most people just leave this on 24/7?

No. All my timers record regardless of whether the unit is on or off. I'm using the original firmware: F201.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfocused View Post

So, I received my DVR earlier today. Question: Am I the only one who smells some sort of funny odor coming from the unit whenever it's turned on? I don't smell the odor when it's turned off, only when it's turned on. Also, the unit was unable to pick up OTA channels I was receiving when I just had the antenna connect to my HDTV. Any suggestions?

If it is emitting a smell that probably means something is burning. I would turn it off (unplug it) and get a replacement.

I still think that these are getting damaged in transit, due to not being double boxed, and thus causing the issues that can't be linked to anything.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Liked: 11
I'm reposting this for those who missed it:

For those who are going to attempt to exchange your DVR's or just get technical support, you might want to try the online chat instead of calling. This method has worked for exchanging defective DTVPal digital converter boxes, and it just worked for me exchanging one that was about 3 months outside of its warranty.

The address for the chat is: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...formrf23.shtml

In the description of the problem, indicate that you want to be forwarded directly to the "Dr. Dish" department. They actually know what is going on with the OTA related equipment. Dr. Dish staff will have (24DrDcb) next to their names during the chat. I have been able to connect with them as late as 8:30 at night.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM

That's the method I used to contact them about my issue around 8:30 am central. Unfortunately, I'm at work so I couldn't try any of the troubleshooting he suggested. He said usually there's someone there til 1:00AM or so, not sure what time zone. It does go directly to Tier 2 support and the staffer had 24DrDcb next to his name.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Does anyone know how long will it last if I hook up a 425VA/230Watts battery backup to the DtvPAl?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM

I live near Springfield, IL. I got mine yesterday afternoon too. I wish I had waited when I heard of everyone's problems but I ordered it before I read them. So last night I watched live TV on it from PBS (Newshour and Nova and also some world news on NBC) and paused it and then watched it delayed and it worked great. I liked it except it would not allow me to set recordings beyond about 8 hours. When I tried I would get error messages. That was frustrating. I could also not set it to record something on WCFN the next morning that did not have PSIP info. That is frustrating too. Is it not possible to set a recording in advance on a station without PSIP of TVguide info?

So I set a couple things to record a couple hours in the future (Everybody Loves Raymond and Still Standing) on the CW station WBUI and went to bed. All the stations had PSIP except WCFN which is the the CBS station on 49-2 and the mynetwork station on 49-1. I do not think we get TVguide listings here although I know they would not have loaded yet. I tried upgrading the firmware but it would not read my ethernet cable after I unplugged from my computer to the DVR pal. It would not read an IP address.

So I get up this morning and it would not turn on and no green light. I see no picture it is just in black. I had connected both the component and HDMI last night and both worked. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in about 5 times and the white background and DVR Pal logo come up for about 10 seconds as it says it is loading and then the screen just goes to black again and I can't do anything. I tried both component and HDMI and both are in black. I tried taking the HDMI off still nothing on component. I plugged in the HDMI again and still nothing on it. I do not think that is the problem since I see the DVR Pal logo for 10 seconds or so when i first plug it in. I have read that a few others had this problem. I will try to find what they said and did. But I wanted to report what happened to me and see what suggestions people have? Maybe it went bad overnight in my first day of having it? Dish should not be selling these units with problems until they were resolved. It is wrong for them to do so and I would not have ordered one as I said above knowing the problems.

I also tried to program the DVR Pal remote to control my Panasonic LCD TV and it would not after going though all the codes for Panasonic. When I tried to program it without codes by pressing the up buttom the TV would turn off after hitting the up button a few times but it still had not programmed it to control the Panasonic TV.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM

Recieved mine yesterday as well.

I set it up immediately, and got an error that the unit is too cold for the HD to function safely. If there is a lower temp. limit, this leads me to believe that higher temps may not be the issue, as there should also be a upper temp. limit.

After letting it warm to room temperature, I set it up as follows:
- No TVGOS in my area, but used my real zipcode anyways.
- Disabled Updates
- Not connected via ethernet (No broadband within 10 miles of my address)
- SmartCard still inserted
- Kept F201 software

I am on the border of fringe/deep fringe, and can say quite honestly that the tuners in this box are not as good, in my location, as the tuner in my Digital Stream DTX9900 converter. I get better PQ with lower signal strength/quality from the Digital Stream box. (Yes, I'll spend $270+ on a DVR, but I'm too cheap to upgrade to a $700 HDTV... I figure I will get this DTV transition sorted, and then worry about how thick my TV is.)

I started a recording for a 1 hour show. First reboot came at the 51 min. mark. The DVR rebooted, but did not continue recording. Not surprisingly, the DVR recorded exactly what I was seeing. All of the pixilation shown on the TV was recorded to the HD. I have a Channel Master CM3414 amp comming, so we'll see if we can improve on reception on that channel.

I had a second reboot later, while just watching the toob, no recordings. The unit has worked fine since.

Is there any way to change the duration of the channel information banner? I know this is nitpicking, but it stays on about a second too long...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Nerd View Post

Is there any way to change the duration of the channel information banner? I know this is nitpicking, but it stays on about a second too long...

That is a little annoying to me too. Just hit Cancel and it goes away.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Nerd View Post

I set it up immediately, and got an error that the unit is too cold for the HD to function safely.

That's a nice feature!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

bmarchand,

I had the same issue and I also tried programming the remote in the same way you did. I did get it to control my samsung tv, but not all the functionality was there. Power on/off works and volume which is basically all I needed. Maybe programming the remote has something to do with the blank screen???

FWIW - the dish tech told me to try the unit in another outlet with nothing else plugged in. I highly doubt this will result in anything but that's what he said to try. I'm not at home right now, so I can't try it.

Contact the chat line from post 1748. The guy I was on with was named Dan T.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForAV View Post

Does anyone know how long will it last if I hook up a 425VA/230Watts battery backup to the DtvPAl?

No one does without knowing the capacity of the battery. That should be in Wh or kWh.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post

FWIW - the dish tech told me to try the unit in another outlet with nothing else plugged in.

I've been thinking the problems some are seeing may be related to power supply problems, as has also been posted by someone else, IIRC. Perhaps some of the units cannot handle lower line voltages properly. Alternatively, it may not handle load current changes well. Finally, it may have both line and load regulation problems. This statement by Dish support sounds almost like an admission of such a problem.

My line voltage varies between about 117.5 and 118.5 VRMS, which is in the lower half of the appropriate normal range of 115 to 125 VRMS and I have only had one reboot in 3 weeks of use. I wonder if those having the most problems have very low line voltage in their homes. Of course, momentary dips caused by current surges from other equipment on the same breaker could also be a problem, as the tech implied.

Everyone: if you are comfortable measuring the voltage coming from your outlet, please report it along with your experiences. If you are not sure how to do this safely, PLEASE DO NOT TRY!

Thoughts?

Reg

P.S. I may run over to ChapelRun's house and measure his voltage with the same meter, since I seemed to have more problems with his box at my house than he has had with it at his house.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM

I had reported this morning when I got up my DVR pal would not turn on after just getting it last night. I can report after waiting an hour I tried again by just hitting the on button and it turned on with the green light on. So it is working now. I hope it does not happen again. I do not know what the problem was. I am afraid to turn it off now.

I was setting up programs I wanted to record and it is annoying that sometimes it will only set to record a program one time and I get an error message when I set to to record mon-fri.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got mine late last night, set it up this morning but did not have time to play with it much.

As stated before by some, the power cycle counter said 3 when first plugged in.

My only other note at this time is that the tuner does not appear to be very sensitive.

I used the same antenna (without changing it's location or setup at all) and simply unplugged it from a TiVo Hd, a Samsung DTB-H260HF, and an HDTV (all in different rooms). All the others picked up all my local channels with only the Samsung having occasional signal loss/dropouts on 2 channels. The DTVPal only picked up (not counting sub-channels) 2 good channels - one had a solid 98 signal level and the other a 77. Two other channels kept cutting out and the rest were missing.

I'll try the unit upstairs and see if that improves things.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarchand View Post

I live near Springfield, IL. I got mine yesterday afternoon too. I wish I had waited when I heard of everyone's problems but I ordered it before I read them. So last night I watched live TV on it from PBS (Newshour and Nova and also some world news on NBC) and paused it and then watched it delayed and it worked great. I liked it except it would not allow me to set recordings beyond about 8 hours. When I tried I would get error messages. That was frustrating. I could also not set it to record something on WCFN the next morning that did not have PSIP info. That is frustrating too. Is it not possible to set a recording in advance on a station without PSIP of TVguide info?

So I set a couple things to record a couple hours in the future (Everybody Loves Raymond and Still Standing) on the CW station WBUI and went to bed. All the stations had PSIP except WCFN which is the the CBS station on 49-2 and the mynetwork station on 49-1. I do not think we get TVguide listings here although I know they would not have loaded yet. I tried upgrading the firmware but it would not read my ethernet cable after I unplugged from my computer to the DVR pal. It would not read an IP address.

So I get up this morning and it would not turn on and no green light. I see no picture it is just in black. I had connected both the component and HDMI last night and both worked. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in about 5 times and the white background and DVR Pal logo come up for about 10 seconds as it says it is loading and then the screen just goes to black again and I can't do anything. I tried both component and HDMI and both are in black. I tried taking the HDMI off still nothing on component. I plugged in the HDMI again and still nothing on it. I do not think that is the problem since I see the DVR Pal logo for 10 seconds or so when i first plug it in. I have read that a few others had this problem. I will try to find what they said and did. But I wanted to report what happened to me and see what suggestions people have? Maybe it went bad overnight in my first day of having it? Dish should not be selling these units with problems until they were resolved. It is wrong for them to do so and I would not have ordered one as I said above knowing the problems.

I also tried to program the DVR Pal remote to control my Panasonic LCD TV and it would not after going though all the codes for Panasonic. When I tried to program it without codes by pressing the up buttom the TV would turn off after hitting the up button a few times but it still had not programmed it to control the Panasonic TV.

I has the same remote issue with my Panosonic TV to, not to woried about that part as of yet though.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just got my DTVPal DVR just last night, so I hadn't had much time to play with it. However the only real issue I've run into is with timer conflicts where they shouldn't exist.. However I was able to reschedule and it worked itself out. I believe this is a bug which hopefully will get squashed in a firmware update.. Here's what happened.. Lost appears to be in 3 1 hour segments, so I set a timer for each segment.. Then where I run into trouble is when I set a timer for American Idol which comes on at the same time as the first segment of Lost at 8:00 PM. However for whatever reason the EPG data shows that American Idol is running 3 minutes longer which I think might be confusing the DVR. I had to delete the first segment of Lost, add American Idol, then add the first segment of Lost back.. At that point the DVR seemed to be satisfied. Like I said, that's got to be a bug.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

I've been thinking the problems some are seeing may be related to power supply problems, as has also been posted by someone else, IIRC. Perhaps some of the units cannot handle lower line voltages properly. Alternatively, it may not handle load current changes well. Finally, it may have both line and load regulation problems. This statement by Dish support sounds almost like an admission of such a problem.

My line voltage measures 120.3 VRMS, which is right in the middle of the appropriate normal range of 115 to 125 VRMS and I have only had one reboot in 3 weeks of use. I wonder if those having the most problems have very low line voltage in their homes. Of course, momentary dips caused by current surges from other equipment on the same breaker could also be a problem, as the tech implied.

Everyone: if you are comfortable measuring the voltage coming from your outlet, please report it along with your experiences. If you are not sure how to do this safely, PLEASE DO NOT TRY!

Thoughts?

Reg

You know I was having the same thought, I have mine hooked up at the same spot as my 50" plasma TV and we all know they are energy hogs. We could be seeing a little voltage dip but I would think the power supply could handle that just like a modern computer supply. Would need to a good power monitor to confirm that, a normal meter would not see the spike/dips.

I disconnected mine last night and went back to the cable box, it was bad
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 View Post

You know I was having the same thought, I have mine hooked up at the same spot as my 50" plasma TV and we all know they are energy hogs. We could be seeing a little voltage dip but I would think the power supply could handle that just like a modern computer supply. Would need to a good power monitor to confirm that, a normal meter would not see the spike/dips.

I disconnected mine last night and went back to the cable box, it was bad

With out a second thought, I plugged might straight into my APC battery backup that my computer is on. I'm already thinking I may get another one for all of my entertainment system.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but remember with it being cold outside, it's probably not a good idea to just rip your DVR out of the box and hook it up and go.. If you're reading this and you hadn't received your DVR yet, let it at least reach room temperature before unboxing it.. Otherwise you are going from one extreme (very cold) to another (very hot) which sophisticated electronics don't seem to like very much.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM

I started a poll regarding the usefullness the F202 update. Please only vote if you have done the update.

You can vote here.

Edit: The poll has been removed. I guess the "Science" part of AVS does not include gathering statistical data about a potential flaw with a HD DVR.