Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #18091 of 18396 Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just had another no audio incident with the local NBC affiliate KXAS 5.1. When they switched from live news to a commercial, no audio. I quickly changed the channel up and back down to 5.1 and then had audio on the same commercial still playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18092 of 18396 Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

And add another audio oddity. When I tune to Ch 21.1 KTXA, there's no audio. Go up to 21.2 ( Me-TV with audio) and back down to 21.1 and the audio its OK. Go to any other channel then back to 21.1, and no audio again, up to 21.2 and back to 21.1, then OK. Every time. At least it's consistent tonight.
post #18093 of 18396 Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ed, sometimes the wrong language selection is picked up, and many stations for some reason have a silent audio channel.  I haven't had that happen with the DTVPal DVR but it has occurred with WSNS on other tuners.

Try the SAP button while you're tuned to 21.1 and see if that helps.
post #18094 of 18396 Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks dattier. Just tried that. Very odd. Tune to channel 21.1, no audio. Press SAP says Unknown and audio comes on. Press again still says Unknown and audio turns off. Press again still Unknown and audio is back. Also notice they have no program guide info today. They normally do.
post #18095 of 18396 Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Well whatever the problem was last night, Ch 21 has it fixd now. Program info is back and the audio is working properly. I did verify last night that the problem was happening on both of my PalDVRs.
post #18096 of 18396 Old 04-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

Well whatever the problem was last night, Ch 21 has it fixd now. Program info is back and the audio is working properly. I did verify last night that the problem was happening on both of my PalDVRs.

I had the same problem and this isn't the first time.
post #18097 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I beg the wisdom of the forumites for some troubleshooting expertise regarding DTVPal not picking up channels. Mine used to work fine, and after turning off/rebooting after a period of inactivity it no longer picks up any channels from my antenna. Signal strength, the obvious culprit, is not the issue... running antenna straight into TV gets 4 major network channels and their local sub-channels in 80%-100% strength. Crystal clear and consistent. Connecting antenna to DTVPal and DTVPal to TV, however, the Setup Wizard picks up zero channels when it scans. I can obviously see and interact with the DTVPal on screen, so there appears to be a viable connection between DTVPal and TV. It appears the issue may be with the channel tuner itself? My setup is as follows:

DTVPal: running firmware F208
Antenna: Terk HDTVa (amplified indoor antenna)
Connector DTVPal to TV: HDMI (tried both 1.3 and 1.4)
TV: Panasonic TC-P42G25 (2010 plasma)

Has anyone had this issue? Anything else I can/should try? I searched this thread and the forum, could not find an answer. Many thanks to any who could pitch in.
post #18098 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post

... I searched this thread and the forum, could not find an answer. Many thanks to any who could pitch in.
as you can read the issue is well known and described many time in the thread (you will gather a lot of knowledge spending some time by reading here instead of searching)
check in setup (add new channel) signal level for all freqs/channels
post #18099 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM

Perhaps you misunderstood my issue? To recap in brief, I have zero (0%) signal for any channel in the Setup Wizard. When running antenna straight to TV I have clear and strong signal for many channels.

When I initially purchased and set up my DTVPal, this thread was the fount of crucial knowledge and I cruised through many pages. Now I have a specific question so I searched for the answer, and finding none, asked the question aloud. You can't possibly be suggesting I sift through an 18,000 post haystack in hopes I grab the needle?

I would be glad for even the right combo of search keywords to find prior discussions/answers to this issue, if it has indeed been over many times already. Teach me to fish!

I hope the above does not come off as snarky. I am grateful for you taking the time to answer anything at all biggrin.gif
post #18100 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, You got the answer now: your tuner chip(s) doesn't functioning anymore. According your last post with relevant technical data (0 signal level on all channels) one or two of them failed. So, the fix is simple: get new MT213 and replace what is broken..
post #18101 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I beg the wisdom of the forumites for some troubleshooting expertise regarding DTVPal not picking up channels. Mine used to work fine, and after turning off/rebooting after a period of inactivity it no longer picks up any channels from my antenna. Signal strength, the obvious culprit, is not the issue... running antenna straight into TV gets 4 major network channels and their local sub-channels in 80%-100% strength. Crystal clear and consistent. Connecting antenna to DTVPal and DTVPal to TV, however, the Setup Wizard picks up zero channels when it scans. I can obviously see and interact with the DTVPal on screen, so there appears to be a viable connection between DTVPal and TV. It appears the issue may be with the channel tuner itself? My setup is as follows:

Has anyone had this issue? Anything else I can/should try? I searched this thread and the forum, could not find an answer. Many thanks to any who could pitch in.

Most people on this thread do try to give an direct answer even if it has been covered before except for Paul, probably not his real name, since his English is usually very poor for an electronics person, he likes people to work for an answer.

So, Have you done the factory reset ( 3,2,4,) with and without the antenna hooked up. After try 3,2,2,3 to add new channels and see if there is any signal strength on your local channels. If you find any click down to select "scan" and "start" If you get nothing it probably is the tuner. If you had it plugged in during your period of inactivity it has been "running" all this time and it could have had a power surge.

You could ask Paul "how much to fix it" since I have seen in other posts that he can.

Good luck
kwg likes this.

post #18102 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

could we please discuss the topic but members, their language, habits, etc ?
post #18103 of 18396 Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Perhaps you misunderstood my issue? To recap in brief, I have zero (0%) signal for any channel in the Setup Wizard. When running antenna straight to TV I have clear and strong signal for many channels.

When I initially purchased and set up my DTVPal, this thread was the fount of crucial knowledge and I cruised through many pages. Now I have a specific question so I searched for the answer, and finding none, asked the question aloud. You can't possibly be suggesting I sift through an 18,000 post haystack in hopes I grab the needle?

I would be glad for even the right combo of search keywords to find prior discussions/answers to this issue, if it has indeed been over many times already. Teach me to fish!

I hope the above does not come off as snarky. I am grateful for you taking the time to answer anything at all biggrin.gif

My pal also stopped tuning a few month back - this post - describes my initial problem.

If you read from here, you will find info about pals with tuner problems but different symptoms and someone who managed to get their pal working again, by putting it on its side, as I recall.

That's less than 300-posts. You can skim that pretty quickly.

If you need to open the case, take a look at this post.

Good luck.
post #18104 of 18396 Old 04-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

you got lucky this time... could be much worst if it really did stuck in a boot

Congratulations to the OP. Mine is stuck in the "loading" boot even without an antenna, and therefore dead. What's worse is that when they were on clearance a few years ago and I bought it, I told a buddy about them and he got two of the last three at the same store and time while I only go one because he was standing closer to the salesman (who had never even heard of them and had to go into the back to get them).

His two are still working, but at least he only has the 2 day PSIP now and not the 14 day TVGOS anymore.
post #18105 of 18396 Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

if other parts of the "looped" DVR are OK, then the problem is solvable
post #18106 of 18396 Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post

Quote:

Have you done the factory reset ( 3,2,4,) with and without the antenna hooked up. After try 3,2,2,3 to add new channels and see if there is any signal strength on your local channels. If you find any click down to select "scan" and "start" If you get nothing it probably is the tuner. If you had it plugged in during your period of inactivity it has been "running" all this time and it could have had a power surge.

You could ask Paul "how much to fix it" since I have seen in other posts that he can.

Good luck
Sounds like the Pal's first tuner went bad, but a factory defaults reset has resurrected many a Pal with an apparent hardware problem. So if nothing else works, that's worth a try; but be aware: if it is the tuner, you'll probably get stuck in the initial setup where you won't even be able to watch your old recordings. (Your recordings are still there, but the Pal needs to find at least one channel to get past the initial setup.)

The tuner chips are available but require some special equipment and expertise to replace, both of which I (and most folks) lack. P Smith may be a bit irascible at times, but he has the equipment and expertise, so if the factory defaults reset doesn't work I'd recommend you PM him for a repair quote.
post #18107 of 18396 Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG2 View Post

Mine is stuck in the "loading" boot even without an antenna, and therefore dead. What's worse is that when they were on clearance a few years ago and I bought it, I told a buddy about them and he got two of the last three at the same store and time while I only go one because he was standing closer to the salesman (who had never even heard of them and had to go into the back to get them).

His two are still working, but at least he only has the 2 day PSIP now and not the 14 day TVGOS anymore.
Yours *may* be fixable with a simple re-flashing of the firmware. P Smith has been able to do this for others so you may want to PM him.

Incidentally, the Pal never showed 14 days of guide; even with TVGOS it only went out to its limit of 7 or 8 days. But even 2 days of guide from PSIP is pretty good these days; many stations only broadcast 12 hours (the minimum FCC requirement). A few broadcast 3 or more days; it all depends on where you live (and perhaps if you can cajole the station engineer into broadcasting more).
post #18108 of 18396 Old 04-27-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..., the fix is simple: get new MT213 and replace what is broken..
Is that "MT213", or MT2131?
post #18109 of 18396 Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

Is that "MT213", or MT2131?
yes, wrote by memory .. perhaps I got it as a family name ...
post #18110 of 18396 Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

OK thanks looked for both numbers along with "MicroTune" don't find any source. Ideas where to get these? PM me if you want.
post #18111 of 18396 Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

you should get them from chinese chip brokers
post #18112 of 18396 Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

a factory defaults reset has resurrected many a Pal with an apparent hardware problem. So if nothing else works, that's worth a try; but be aware: if it is the tuner, you'll probably get stuck in the initial setup where you won't even be able to watch your old recordings.

I read many pages of this thread, this question has been asked many times before but not answered well as far I can tell: I cannot continue past initial setup due to aforementioned tuner issue. Is there a factory reset method available to me? ie, one that does not involve the UI menu which I can't access.

Again, many thanks!
post #18113 of 18396 Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For anyone needing a new drive, Newegg has the Western Digital WD AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB for $59.99 with promo code - SEE HERE.
post #18114 of 18396 Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read many pages of this thread, this question has been asked many times before but not answered well as far I can tell: I cannot continue past initial setup due to aforementioned tuner issue. Is there a factory reset method available to me? ie, one that does not involve the UI menu which I can't access.

Again, many thanks!
I'm afraid not ... perhaps writing an image of saved FW with all settings will help you pass the screen, but in case of broken tuner's chip(s) it would useless expensive [BGA rework and reflashing] exercise frown.gif
post #18115 of 18396 Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks to all who have weighed in. I now consider my pal dead and buried. If anyone should like to buy it for parts (though obviously caveat emptor the tuner), PM me.
post #18116 of 18396 Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hello.

Does anyone know how much power this DVR use when on and off?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
post #18117 of 18396 Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

if I recall correctly ... it was posted here ... anyway by letters on back side it's 40W
phildaant likes this.
post #18118 of 18396 Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

if I recall correctly ... it was posted here ... anyway by letters on back side it's 40W
Thanks. What about idling/sleep?
post #18119 of 18396 Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

A few years ago I measured with a "Kill A Watt" meter about 22 Watts in standby, and about 24 Watts "On".
phildaant likes this.
post #18120 of 18396 Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I mean - "been posted" wink.gif
phildaant likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version