post #18121 of 18255 Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

A few years ago I measured with a "Kill A Watt" meter about 22 Watts in standby, and about 24 Watts "On".
Hmmph, 2 watts only saved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18122 of 18255 Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 127
that's how contemporary electronics works; standby mode is just normal mode with no outputs
phildaant and WillN937 like this.
post #18123 of 18255 Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

that's how contemporary electronics works; standby mode is just normal mode with no outputs

... and contemporary HDD mfgrs used to rate their HDD reliability in hours (MTBF) but changed to "start/stop" or "load/unload" cycles as they found it was a more appropriate measure of reliability.

A start/stop cycle is defined here as a power-on/power-off cycle... 50,000 is one "norm." Note that the linked article mentions the ongoing "controversy" over always-spinning vs. start/stop aficionados and says we "shouldn't sweat" the small stuff.

Hitachi uses "load/unload" cycles with 300,000 being the norm, a "better" design used first by IBM for their HDDs using load/unload ramps. (Hitachi bought the IBM HDD division in 2003, and WD bought Hitachi's HDD ops in 2012.). A Hitachi article describes the load/unload mechanics.

In the REAL world, experts say 3-5 years is a good lifespan for a modern HDD in a typical computer environment (hard work), as described here. Those just happen to be the std warranty period for HDDs. As of Jan 1 2009, Seagate lowered their std warranty period from 5 years to 3 years, and Hitachi did the same. Other mfgrs soon followed suit.

post #18124 of 18255 Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

well, lets put amen to that,
just knowing the DVR's designers/mfg did made their minds and settled the dilemma long time ago: no spin-up/spin-down.
post #18125 of 18255 Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello.

I noticed my old DTV Pal DVR had a few missing channels like (KCOP 13.3, KCBS 2.2, etc.) in east of Los Angeles (L.A.) area./ DVR used to be able to tell me that it detected new channels by itself, but it hadn't done that for several months (since last year?). I even manually told it to find new channels and tried manually adding new channel (e.g., 13 and scan), but both failed. I had to rerun its wizard and it found them and way more channels (159!). What happened?

Also, is it normal for my DVR to reset my timers while rerunning its wizard even though it is the same settings and location? frown.gif Is there a way to just clear the channel list and rescan fully?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
post #18126 of 18255 Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

we are lucky of the wizard because it does not erase recordings, while all other settings does
phildaant likes this.
post #18127 of 18255 Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well seen no activity in the thread, I came with an idea to revving it up smile.gif

So, here is RFC (request for comment):

Would you like to see on your computer a program (not that complicated, perhaps just command-line tool) what will upload your Home Video to your DVR's drive ?
It would require some legwork, like converting you home video to MPEG-2 and load it into TS (transport stream) envelope. That would be mandatory requirement for input file.
Plus, providing a text file (sort of meta-data) with short name and a description and video/audio PIDs numbers.

The future program would require to connect your DVR drive to a Windows PC; no mount, not allowing Windows to mark it in any ways!
I see here will be some good push for stock drive replacement, as new one will spin up without "voodoo magic" and could be up-scaled to 1 TB (the drive are cheap today)

By my peer connection's estimation, it could be short project as one month of work for some skilled software guy.
post #18128 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Figure out how to download the Pals recordings, convert and put on DVDs that will play on any player... I'd go for that!
post #18129 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

Figure out how to download the Pals recordings, convert and put on DVDs that will play on any player... I'd go for that!

Agreed. Why put other stuff onto the DVR? I'm already filling up a lot of 1TB drives on the 4 PalDVRs I use regularly. Most any cheap media box with USB input handle playing home video easily.

But if there was a super simple (non-technical) way to get programs off the DVRs drive and convert and title them in a form that is readable and playable in most any player, media box, computer, etc. that would be a huge problem solver and money saver.

Any chance of that?

post #18130 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

only if echostar will dismiss a case where been ruled : EFS (file system of the DVR) is protected by DMCA and reading files from it will be treat as violation "security measure" ie DMCA frown.gif
post #18131 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

perhaps no interest from masses ... I'm willing to be first beta tester ... soon ...
I'd like the idea to keep TR-50 as my video player since I have it smile.gif
phildaant likes this.
post #18132 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

perhaps no interest from masses ... I'm willing to be first beta tester ... soon ...
I'd like the idea to keep TR-50 as my video player since I have it smile.gif
Ditto. smile.gif
post #18133 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My 2 cents . . . I don't do any home video. If I did, I would just create a DVD with a nice menu. Besides since there be no windoze here, it would be useless to me under any circumstances.
post #18134 of 18255 Old 05-23-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

only if echostar will dismiss a case where been ruled : EFS (file system of the DVR) is protected by DMCA and reading files from it will be treat as violation "security measure" ie DMCA frown.gif

Once you complete your move overseas, you won't have to worry about that anymore. wink.gif
phildaant likes this.
post #18135 of 18255 Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Without decoding EFS I don't see much way to up/down load a file. I guess a person could build an encoder and fake a OTA signal to feed to the DVR but over all I believe just finding a video card with a HDMI port and getting a copy of Windows Media Center (WMC) or X Box Media Center (XBMC) would actually be less trouble.
phildaant likes this.
post #18136 of 18255 Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

"Without decoding EFS" - nay, the file system is not coded/encoded or any sort of real protection of data; no security measures at all; clear data;
it's just scaled down *nix file system, basically it have no other company acceptance; we can see it's abandoned by e* in new models like XiP or K77/HDT-610R in favor of FREE EXT4/XFS.
I'm pretty sure it's not copyrighted actually, if not actually "borrowed" from someone else as they did a Linux core and many other Linux components "free of charge" taken into e* devices by e* SW dept. That case ruling was simple: if it's unknown [proprietary] file system, then it's a violation of DMCA to work with it. Period.
phildaant likes this.
post #18137 of 18255 Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

"Without decoding EFS" - nay, the file system is not coded/encoded or any sort of real protection of data; no security measures at all; clear data;
it's just scaled down *nix file system, basically it have no other company acceptance; we can see it's abandoned by e* in new models like XiP or K77/HDT-610R in favor of FREE EXT4/XFS.
I'm pretty sure it's not copyrighted actually, if not actually "borrowed" from someone else as they did a Linux core and many other Linux components "free of charge" taken into e* devices by e* SW dept. That case ruling was simple: if it's unknown [proprietary] file system, then it's a violation of DMCA to work with it. Period.
If you can figure a way to absolve yourself of legal problems I would be willing to Beta test, if only to consolidate my recordings. They are so hodge podge since each HDD simply recorded a season at a time. It would be nice to rearrange the recordings by actual shows or types of shows. Let us know if there is way to help and keep you out of trouble. rolleyes.gif
T
phildaant likes this.
post #18138 of 18255 Old 05-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Encoded does not necessarily mean encrypted, all it means is that you have to know how it is laid out to be able to read it. The old DOS FAT system is an encoding but it is not secure or encrypted.

Are you saying that since EFS is just a variant of one of the *nix file systems that the case ruling and DCMA has nothing to do with this since, even with their changes, it is not a proprietary or protected (IP) system? I have heard a lot of claims by a lot of people about reverse engineering or even looking at data streams being a violation of DCMA. I have a friend who is a patent attorney and he can't answer this in the abstract.
post #18139 of 18255 Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

Encoded does not necessarily mean encrypted, all it means is that you have to know how it is laid out to be able to read it. The old DOS FAT system is an encoding but it is not secure or encrypted.

Are you saying that since EFS is just a variant of one of the *nix file systems that the case ruling and DCMA has nothing to do with this since, even with their changes, it is not a proprietary or protected (IP) system? I have heard a lot of claims by a lot of people about reverse engineering or even looking at data streams being a violation of DCMA. I have a friend who is a patent attorney and he can't answer this in the abstract.
that's the part what is puzzled me
I did read DMCA, Judge Ruling Book and found no provision for such prosecution; perhaps you decrypting something and have financial gain by using that ... it's a mess and a court ruling as they wish frown.gif
post #18140 of 18255 Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

If you can figure a way to absolve yourself of legal problems I would be willing to Beta test, if only to consolidate my recordings. They are so hodge podge since each HDD simply recorded a season at a time. It would be nice to rearrange the recordings by actual shows or types of shows. Let us know if there is way to help and keep you out of trouble. rolleyes.gif
T
you know... someone got the knowledge somehow and created (now abandoned) a project at SourceForge; there are a lot of info about the file system, and a lot of source code of a program what reading files from such drives
phildaant likes this.
post #18141 of 18255 Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

T
you know... someone got the knowledge somehow and created (now abandoned) a project at SourceForge; there are a lot of info about the file system, and a lot of source code of a program what reading files from such drives
And it's no where in the underground scenes? frown.gif
post #18142 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The most useful 3rd party utility I'd like to have is a convenient, fool-proof means to move recorded files between hard drives, either directly via a single transfer between DVR and external disk (using previously mentioned enclosures or docking stations), or temporarily cached on a PC between DVR hard disk swaps.

phildaant likes this.
post #18143 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainHunter View Post

Quote:

The most useful 3rd party utility I'd like to have is a convenient, fool-proof means to move recorded files between hard drives, either directly via a single transfer between DVR and external disk (using previously mentioned enclosures or docking stations), or temporarily cached on a PC between DVR hard disk swaps.
It would be more awesome if someone could make an opensource third party firmware for our old DVR. wink.gif
post #18144 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

It would be more awesome if someone could make an opensource third party firmware for our old DVR. wink.gif
For sure e* will never release the source code; it will be doable only if both HDDs will temporary connected to WinPC and someone will create new program for manage user's drives [library]..
phildaant likes this.
post #18145 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

For sure e* will never release the source code; it will be doable only if both HDDs will temporary connected to WinPC and someone will create new program for manage user's drives [library]..
Yeah. And if someone figured out a way to make one. DMCA! frown.gif
post #18146 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
External 1TB eSATA/USB 2 DVR Expander $100 at Best Buy

Best Buy has the WDBABT0010HBK-NESN 'My Book A/V DVR Expander' on sale for $100 until supplies are gone. SOLD OUT

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=my+book+av+1+tb

This unit comes with a eSATA cable which does NOT plug-in directly to the board - an adapter cable such as the Tripp Lite P952-003 eSATA to SATA Adapter Cable sold by Amazon for $5.35 (7P-M to 7P-M - 3 ft., case modification for cable pass-thru will be required) and a USB 2.0 cable for use elsewhere. This unit uses a wall wort so DVR power supply heat will be reduced significantly.

Thank you P. Smith for the cable connector clarification below.
post #18147 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will the Bestbuy HD require a cable 'SATA to ESATA' cable? I needed one for an EZ dock I have used to get the HD out of the PAL box. I do not remember which end is which. I have one more to do - will I need another cable with this HD you posted.
Thanks
post #18148 of 18255 Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

yes
inside of TR-50 installed SATA connector "L"-type
all hdd enclosures has eSATA connector "I"-type

btw, HD means HiDef, but HDD is THE hard disk drive
post #18149 of 18255 Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So last night was watching a recording on Pal #2 the newest that gets the least use, fell asleep for a few minutes, and when I awoke the TV screen was completely white but audio OK. Tried changing channels, same thing. Did a soft reset with power button, and came back up with video, but audio was either SAP, none, or normal depending on the station, and a HDD Error message also appeared to unplug unit for 15 sec. Did that, still the error, so I tried reformatting, nope can't do that with the HDD error! So I unplugged it and went on to bed. 6 hours later thinking about it not able to sleep, plugged back in, came up all OK! Works! What the heck! The HDD in question is a 1 TB WD I put in about 6 months ago, and is only about 1/10th full.

Question: What is the latest model number for suitable AV 1TB HDD? They keep changing all the time.
post #18150 of 18255 Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Should work practically any model, I can't imagine what should be a reason for a failure ... perhaps is not supporting 512 bytes sector size
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page