The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 606 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!

HDTV Recorders

ed_in_tx's Avatar ed_in_tx
09:53 AM Liked: 60
post #18151 of 18559
06-04-2014 | Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Should work practically any model, I can't imagine what should be a reason for a failure ... perhaps is not supporting 512 bytes sector size

The 'Pal? It worked for 6 months and works for now, until next time it screws up. Or did you mean the HDD? confused..
P Smith's Avatar P Smith
11:54 AM Liked: 135
post #18152 of 18559
06-04-2014 | Posts: 2,059
yes, HDD's FW - the Advanced Formatting feature
08:45 PM Liked: 60
post #18153 of 18559
06-04-2014 | Posts: 1,060
I seem to remember something about a corrupted recording causing problems so I went into the recordings and the last program I recorded was ready to resume from where it messed up last night. I deleted that recording and am hoping for good luck! Maybe it was just a glitch.

Only two days ago I was thinking it was being very reliable since installing the 1 TB HDD in it 6 months ago. With the old 250 GB original drive almost full, it was locking up pretty regularly when I was recording a program and simultaneously watching it delayed when recording ended. Old known problem.
AnthonyNYC's Avatar AnthonyNYC
11:11 AM Liked: 12
post #18154 of 18559
06-05-2014 | Posts: 759
Hi Guys!
I have a question that I think you can help me with. First I wish to say, I had purchased a Dish DTVPal DVR early on, and had used it happily at the time, had gotten the latest firmware and it worked well.
Yes, it needed the occasional reboot (for who knows what reason? a bad recording maybe?) but that was the exception not the rule. Mostly it performed as expected. Then almost 2 years ago, I signed up for a Dish Hopper because I just loved the idea of recording more than 2 primetime channels at once. I was very happy with the Hopper at that time but I decided to keep the Dish DTVPal DVR in storage rather than sell it back then because I always imagined maybe I'd want to use it again in the future.

Then about 8 months ago Dish started making upgrades (in their opinion) to the Hopper firmware which have frustrated my enjoyment with it to say the least. I know this isn't the thread to list my complaints about why I am no longer happy with the Hopper, so I won't. But they were enough to get me into looking for alternatives to it as a DVR. And I discovered the TabloTV which also has a 4 tuner capability! That was my initial driving force in switching from the Pal to the hopper 2 years ago.
I was leaning toward the Tivo Roamio but the lifetime subscription fees are way to expensive for whole home use (2 TV+) compared to the TabloTV.
My Dish contract expires in 2 months, either July or August, so pre-ordering the 4 tuner Tablo and waiting wasn't any problem for me (since I have Dish for 2 more months anyway).

Now that you guys are all caught up on my situation, my question is, What should I do with my DTVPal box?
I no longer see a reason to be saving it for the future since I already purchased something new, and I'd want it to get used by someone familiar with it who appreciates what it can do (and doesn't need more than 2 tuners).

Do you guys know what the going rate is for a working Pal currently?
Should I list it somewhere in AVS forums with a post here?
Or is just putting it on ebay and hope for the best, the way to proceed? I am thinking on ebay (since it is a quick auction) maybe someone who has been looking for a Pal might miss it.

I think you guys here are the experts on this topic, so I really value your opinions and advice!
And I thank you in advance and really appreciate any helpful posts for me.

Sincerely,
AnthonyNYC
07:20 AM Liked: 60
post #18155 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 1,060
You can watch e-bay for Pal DVRs that sell, to see what it may be worth.
If I was selling a Pal DVR I would certainly prefer to sell to someone experienced with one so they would understand the quirks.
dvdchance's Avatar dvdchance
08:18 AM Liked: 22
post #18156 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 805
If its in good condition with stock remote, you should be able to get $275-300 pretty easy.

I sold my unit which I bought factory direct for $249, used for 3 years, for $299. I probably should have set an even higher buy it now then I did and it probably would have gotten $350 with a little patience on my part.
wiscojim's Avatar wiscojim
08:28 AM Liked: 133
post #18157 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 276
You can probably add a little if you've done the 1TB hdd upgrade and routine maintenance.

Be aware that if you sell it on eBay, you'll have to contend with fees and possible buyback.

Sell it here on AVS. Offer it for $x + shipping or best offer. If it doesn't sell for your asking price, drop the price until it does sell.

trp2525's Avatar trp2525
09:17 AM Liked: 58
post #18158 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post

...Do you guys know what the going rate is for a working Pal currently?...

Check out these links:

Dish DTVPal DVR $314.99

Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR $399.99

Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR $419.99
HDTV Sparky's Avatar HDTV Sparky
01:54 PM Liked: 10
post #18159 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 122
I've listed mine twice and never got any replies.

http://york.craigslist.org/ele/4491976518.html
05:29 PM Liked: 12
post #18160 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 759
$250-300? Wow! I'd be real happy to get that!
And Yes, it is in great condition and original remote, everything works still.
I use to have the original box but I don't know where I stuck it, or I might have tossed it to make roiom for stuff, got to look again for box but either way I would pack it really well for shipping.

So wiscojim, you sold yours on ebay I assume since you said you should have set Buy it now price a bit higher, I don't want to be greedy, just fair.
I really appreciate the feedback and links!
Thanks so much
AnthonyNYC
wiscojim's Avatar wiscojim
08:07 PM Liked: 133
post #18161 of 18559
06-06-2014 | Posts: 276
Quote:

So wiscojim, you sold yours on ebay I assume since you said you should have set Buy it now price a bit higher, I don't want to be greedy, just fair.

It was actually dvdchance that said he should have asked for more.

dvdchance's Avatar dvdchance
10:37 AM Liked: 22
post #18162 of 18559
06-07-2014 | Posts: 805
Quote:

And Yes, it is in great condition and original remote, everything works still.
I use to have the original box but I don't know where I stuck it, or I might have tossed it to make roiom for stuff, got to look again for box but either way I would pack it really well for shipping.

I really appreciate the feedback and links!
Thanks so much
AnthonyNYC

wiscojim was correct it was me that sold mine for $299.

And yes I do think if I would have put a higher BIN, it would have sold. Why not go for the highest you can get? There's no gun to anyones head forcing them to purchase it.

As for other methods of selling it, Craigslist is great for cars, (have bought and sold a few) but you always get lots of people just jerking you around with emails or calls wanting to have it demonstrated or not having enough money when you meet them figuring you will take less rather then totally waste your time. Thats the cost of business if your selling an auto for thousands, but do you really want that hassle to save the eBay and Paypal fees on a $300 sale?

As for listing it on AVS, well quite frankly I've been a member here for 10 years and just realised there is classified listings here.

My opinion, and what I successfully did, is list on eBay and don't feel guilty about getting as much as the market will pay.
11:20 AM Liked: 12
post #18163 of 18559
06-07-2014 | Posts: 759
Thanks for the correction Wiscojim, I did make a mistake with that, sorry and thanks.

And thanks again for the advice dvdchance, you are correct about the why not get the most you can get part.
However having sold on ebay in the past, I realize if you put no buy it now, you can get what the market rate is by keeping it strictly an auction but you risk the auction ending with interested buyers missing the end for whatever reason (bad timing).
And it selling for less than you might have gotten with a "Buy it now" which is convenient for people just wanting to make a purchase at the moment and not wait around to start a bidding war last minute.

In the past I have done a combination auction on ebay, with a higher buy it now price for people wanting to pay for the convenience of a quick sale. But unless you are also willing to list a reserve price in that situation to maintain the "Buy It Now" price shown until the reserve price is met, the "Buy It Now" disappears the second anyone places a bid. And also listing a reserve price increases the selling fee, I guess ebay planned it that way. All this was years ago and I have no idea if ebay still structures the selling fees in the same manner today.

The only plus I see with selling it to someone on the forum is they would be familiar with the device and know how to deal with any common issues that might ever develop with it. But then again anyone buying it on ebay can always google it, find the forum and learn quickly how to upgrade the hard drive or handle any other situation. I agree that craigslist is mostly great for big items like cars, I never had any luck selling anything on it personally. In the past when I tried selling an elliptical machine on Craigslist, I ended up getting tons of spam because I listed my e-mail and phone number also on the advise of a friend who uses it often. In the end I sold the stuff it on ebay with "local pickup only" in the listing.

Thanks again everyone, I will take the photos later today and try and list it tonight. Hopefully it sells, not so worried about the price, anything is better than it sitting in my closet until it is outdated or no longer wanted by people.
AnthonyNYC
phildaant's Avatar phildaant
10:04 PM Liked: 124
post #18164 of 18559
06-08-2014 | Posts: 2,921
I just noticed my single day manual DVR recording did not start five/5 minutes before 9:00 PM PDT tonight even though I have recording settings to always give paddings. Clocks look correct too. What's up with that? Thank you in advance. smile.gif
P Smith's Avatar P Smith
10:11 PM Liked: 135
post #18165 of 18559
06-08-2014 | Posts: 2,059
gremlins ... watch your next timer ...
phildaant's Avatar phildaant
10:46 PM Liked: 124
post #18166 of 18559
06-08-2014 | Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

gremlins ... watch your next timer ...
I think I know what's the problem. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic said manual timer don't use paddings. Since I changed my guide's weekly scheduler to single day timer for Cosmos season finale. It seems like manual timers do not using the default paddings I set. It is only for weekly ones. frown.gif Am I reading that right?
happy2Lurk's Avatar happy2Lurk
01:42 AM Liked: 23
post #18167 of 18559
06-09-2014 | Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

I think I know what's the problem. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic said manual timer don't use paddings. Since I changed my guide's weekly scheduler to single day timer for Cosmos season finale. It seems like manual timers do not using the default paddings I set. It is only for weekly ones. frown.gifAm I reading that right?

Yes, no padding with manual timers - although I often see 1-2 min added at end - sometimes preventing a following recording from starting - one of the many annoying bugs.
bernieoc's Avatar bernieoc
11:37 AM Liked: 19
post #18168 of 18559
06-10-2014 | Posts: 190
I saw something on the DVR+ forum that has me confused - hope you can clarify.
It was reported that there was a WD hard drive that would be good for the DVR+ and the PAL DVR. It is on sale at WD site for $99. A WD MYBOOK AV 1TB DVR extender.The poster said it would be good for the DVR+ with a USB2 connection and also good for the PAL DVR with a SATA to eSATA connection. My confusion is the power supply - I understand that the USB2 connection includes the power supply and the hard drive does not appear to have any separate power supply. I currently use an internal type drive in an external EZ-Dock - which has its own power supply and is connected to the DTV Pal with an eSATA to SATA cable. How could the WD drive connect without a power supply - or does the SATA connection have power? Is the post not correct or have I not understood the PAL dvd external connection / power supply. Any clarification will be appreciated. I considered buying this drive to use with my current DTV pals and being able to use it in the future with the DVR+ (when my Pals die)
Thanks'
P Smith's Avatar P Smith
11:47 AM Liked: 135
post #18169 of 18559
06-10-2014 | Posts: 2,059
"What's in the box
DVR expander, external power supply, USB 2.0 cable, eSATA cable, adapter cable for Sony camcorders, Quick Install Guide, feet for horizontal placement."

eSATA or SATA connectors doesn't provide power to a drive.
05:13 PM Liked: 23
post #18170 of 18559
06-13-2014 | Posts: 129
Edit: turns out I falsely accused my pal - my AVR was the guilty party.
-------------------
October 7, 2013 - my Pal-1's tuner died and a factory reset essentially bricked it.

Now, it looks like my Pal-2 has lost HDMI audio.

A while back, there was discussion about losing 5.1 audio and ways to restore it (see around here). I had experienced that problem frequently, with both my pals, over the last few years.

Recently, my lone surviving pal started occasionally showing stereo only, on live-TV - changing channels would not restore it. Also, changing menu settings would not restore surround sound, however, simply powering off (standby) and then back on did.

Now, it seems to have lost HDMI audio completely.

What happened:
-- watching live-TV - all good - then - backed-up - no sound
-- skipping forward/back, pressing live-TV, changing channels, playing a recorded program - all, no sound

What I have done:
-- powering off (standby) and then back on - no sound
-- menu - setup - audio setup - no sound
-- menu - setup - dolby digital setup - no sound
-- soft reboot - no sound
-- default reset - no sound
-- unplug for a while - no sound
-- changed HDMI cable input on AVR - no sound
-- tried different HDMI cable - no sound
-- connected RCA (L-R-Video) cable -- sound!

AVR shows no channels coming in. Other HDMI sources on AVR work, so I think I have isolated the problem to the pal.

Anything else I could try?

Any way to get 5.1 surround out of the pal without HDMI?

How about suggestions / alternatives for replacing the DTVPal DVR?
09:20 AM Liked: 60
post #18171 of 18559
06-14-2014 | Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Recently, my lone surviving pal started occasionally showing stereo only, on live-TV - changing channels would not restore it. Also, changing menu settings would not restore surround sound, however, simply powering off (standby) and then back on did.

Now, it seems to have lost HDMI audio completely.

AVR shows no channels coming in. Other HDMI sources on AVR work, so I think I have isolated the problem to the pal.

Anything else I could try?

Have you tried a different hard drive?

Reason I ask.. last week when one of mine decided to go corrupt and lost the DVR functions, the audio was all screwed up on the channels I received while in this condition. One was OK, another only one channel, another the SAP was playing, and another no audio at all. I couldn't change it. I have no idea what the relation is with audio and the hard drive. Something to try.
01:40 PM Liked: 23
post #18172 of 18559
06-14-2014 | Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Have you tried a different hard drive?
Ed, thanks for the response. I may try a different drive but I am no longer sure the pal is the problem.

Since the pal has been having audio problems, when I lost HDMI audio with the pal, I naturally figured it was the problem. To check my AVR, I turned on my HomeWorX HW150PVR and it had 5.1 audio via HDMI - so again, pretty sure the pal was the problem.

Last night, I connect my laptop, that I have been using to try-out Windows Media Center - and it had no audio! So, I tried the Blu-ray player - no audio! So, now it is looking like an AVR problem.

I have more trouble shooting to do.

It is so much nicer when things just work.
01:04 PM Liked: 23
post #18173 of 18559
06-15-2014 | Posts: 129
Looks like the pal was innocent.

Searching the web, I found others who had lost HDMI audio and were able to restore it with a reset of their AVR. Although a cheap fix, I wasn't looking forward to re-entering all my settings.

Before doing the reset I wanted to see if the front HDMI port worked. I connected the laptop and had 5.1 audio. I then checked the pal - 5.1 audio. Blu-ray - all good. All HDMI ports working. It had "fixed" itself. Maybe activating a new port had "refreshed" something in the AVR's HDMI processing.
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt
12:08 PM Liked: 207
post #18174 of 18559
06-17-2014 | Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Any way to get 5.1 surround out of the pal without HDMI?
You already fixed your problem, but just in case anyone else was wondering.... from post 1:

Quote:
The DTVPal DVR ... has analog stereo and optical (TOSLINK) audio outputs.
Is anyone getting 5.1 from the TOSLINK output? It should avoid annoying HDMI handshake issues.
Donald1800's Avatar Donald1800
01:18 PM Liked: 35
post #18175 of 18559
06-17-2014 | Posts: 166
"...Is anyone getting 5.1 from the TOSLINK output? It should avoid annoying HDMI handshake issues. .."

Yes, I have TosLink/Optical from my PalDVR to my decoder box for Dolby & Prologic and Coaxial from my Blu-Ray Player for DTS. All 5.1 has worked flawlessly for years.
07:52 PM Liked: 60
post #18176 of 18559
06-17-2014 | Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
And Yes, it is in great condition and original remote, everything works still...
I just bought another one for $120 B-I-N shipped, on e-bay. Will be #3 for me, a back-up unit. Had been up for sale almost a full day before I noticed it. Surprised no one else had snatched it up first. Had 3 watchers.
P Smith's Avatar P Smith
10:25 PM Liked: 135
post #18177 of 18559
06-17-2014 | Posts: 2,059
suspiciously low price ... perhaps you should be prepare to get it fixed
05:55 AM Liked: 60
post #18178 of 18559
06-18-2014 | Posts: 1,060
Nah... I'll just file an Item Not As Described claim and send it back if there's a problem. Claimed to be working perfectly with very low use. We shall see!
01:23 PM Liked: 60
post #18179 of 18559
06-23-2014 | Posts: 1,060
Looking at the history of my 'Pal hard drives, the one in 'Pal #2 that's misbehaved a few times is a WD10EARX. The one in "Pal #1 is a WD10EVVS that is optimized for AV use. Gets used a lot more, in use for several more years, and has never yet had a hiccup.

Current model WD10EURX: (and others with the AV-GP designation)
  • optimized operation resulting in lower cost of ownership and unsurpassed reliability for PVR/DVR, IPTV boxes and media server manufacturers.
  • SilkStream - Optimized for smooth, continuous digital video playback of up to twelve simultaneous HD streams. SilkStream is compatible with the ATA streaming command set so CE customers can use standard streaming management and error recovery options.
  • Ideal for set-top boxes (PVR, DVR and IPTV), media servers, media centers, and surveillance applications.

So I wonder, just because one drive works (EARX) , does it work as reliably as another with these AV optimizations?

Getting ready to buy another drive to upgrade my newest addition Pal #3 that appears to be unused including the remote, and works A-OK so far.
Donald1800's Avatar Donald1800
10:55 PM Liked: 35
post #18180 of 18559
06-23-2014 | Posts: 166
You may want to consider the WD My Book AV 1TB External Hard Drive (WDBABT0010HBK) which was on sale at the Western Digital site about a week ago for $100. It has built in a USB 3.0 interface usable with the CM DTV+ and an eSATA output usable with a 1 meter. eSATA to SATA adapter cable with the PalDVR, and comes with a small external wall power brick which reduces the generated and radiated DVR internal heat - now not noticeable with my PalDVR. With this HDD I no longer have occasional video pixilation or audio drop-outs. I personally feel that this solution is better than a separate rack/power supply and AV HDD. I enlarged the rear top fastening clip slot on the bottom section near the rear right corner and made a single loop of the eSATA cable and out the enlarged slot to the HDD. Works good and highly recommended as an external 1TB drive.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread