post #1801 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil08 View Post

Hi all,

I just got this a couple days ago with firmware F201. I have been trying to set timers without success. I have used timers through the guide and manual, and after setting them, I turn the DTVPal DVR to standby. Upon powering the unit back on, the programmed timers are gone. Has anybody else had these issues? Is the only solution just to leave the unit on or does the new firmware F202 address this issue? Thanks for your help!

Are you sure you have DVR selected when setting up the timer and not AUTO TUNE? If AUTO TUNE is selected, nothing will record.

From the manual...

Setting Up Timers
Use a timer when you want to view or record a future program. There are two
types of timers:
DVR - Records a program to your DTVPal DVR hard drive.
Auto Tune/Reminder - Displays an on-screen reminder when your
program is about to start. In addition, Auto Tune changes channels.

OTA with free HD is the only way I watch TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but remember with it being cold outside, it's probably not a good idea to just rip your DVR out of the box and hook it up and go.. If you're reading this and you hadn't received your DVR yet, let it at least reach room temperature before unboxing it.. Otherwise you are going from one extreme (very cold) to another (very hot) which sophisticated electronics don't seem to like very much.

If the unit is too cold, the DVR will not boot up. There seems to be a temperature sensor in the unit. The error specifies the unit is too cold and could damage the HDD if used. It will not let you boot up until the temp. sensor is satisfied with the temperature.
post #1803 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM

I didn't want to acknowledge it in the forum for a day because I was in denial.

My second batch DVR had a freeze that happened when the local PBS changed from its assigned digital frequency at channel 43 back to channel 17 and I had a show set to record on the first station that did not exist anymore. I can somewhat understand that, although it should have been accounted for in their programming. It makes me wonder if there will be more widespread problems when stations change their channel numbers for good at the time of the transition.

Beyond that I have had three reboots, all of which have occurred when I have been in menus. It happened once when I was going from the guide to live TV, once when I was scrolling through the menu quickly (pressing the button repeatedly), and once when going from the My Recordings menu to a recorded show. I reset the factory defaults before the last instance, only changing the setting to disable the automatic updates.

If I just stay out of the guide and the menus I might be fine (maybe they can put that in the knowledge base as a suggestion).
post #1804 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I so far (knock one wood) hadn't had a single reboot since hooking up my DTVPal last night. I've been jumping through menu's and what not figuring the thing out, but so far no problems. I did update to the latest firmware right away, but still no major issues such as reboots. The only thing I've done different than what most people probably wouldn't do is I used my Harmony remote from the get go.. I used the Dish remote for two seconds before realizing I hated it.. However if you guys are getting reboots while going through menu's and what not, I wonder if Dish might have some timing issues between the remote and the DVR.. Just a thought.

One other thought.. Are the people with reboot issues using component or HDMI? I'm using component myself.
post #1805 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byucougar View Post

I didn't want to acknowledge it the forum for a day because I was in denial.

My second batch DVR had a freeze that happened when the local PBS changed from its assigned digital frequency at channel 43 back to channel 17 and I had a show set to record on the first station that did not exist anymore. I can somewhat understand that, although it should have been accounted for in their programming. It makes me wonder if there will be more widespread problems when stations change their channel numbers for good at the time of the transition.

Beyond that I have had three reboots, all of which have occurred when I have been in menus. It happened once when I was going from the guide to live TV, once when I was scrolling through the menu quickly (pressing the button repeatedly), and once when going from the My Recordings menu to a recorded show. I reset the factory defaults before the last instance, only changing the setting to diable the automatic updates.

If I just stay out of the guide and the menus I might be fine (maybe they can put that in the knowledge base as a suggestion).

How did the return process go for you?
post #1806 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForAV View Post

Does anyone know how long will it last if I hook up a 425VA/230Watts battery backup to the DtvPAl?

Thanks.

HI,

OK, I admitt, I have a twisted mind. I know what you mean but my first thought was if you plug your DTV Pal into 425 volts, it ain't going to last long.

Ken M
post #1807 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 View Post

You know I was having the same thought, I have mine hooked up at the same spot as my 50" plasma TV and we all know they are energy hogs. We could be seeing a little voltage dip but I would think the power supply could handle that just like a modern computer supply.

Don't count on it! Modern computer power supplies are *extremely* sophisticated. They use very advanced switching topologies that allow for accepting worldwide voltages over a range of 100 to 230 VRMS. These designs have been gradually improved over many years of experience. They are also potted in epoxy to allow for a high degree of shock-absorbing capability. The power supply on the DTVPal DVR is a first-run version that does not seem to be designed to withstand much shock. The tuner in my unit seemed to malfunction when I unloaded the 12V power supply by using a 2.5" laptop hard drive instead of a 3.5" drive. I'm guessing the converter went into discontinuous-current mode and started spewing excess RF emissions (either conducted or radiated) that damaged the signal quality.
Quote:

Would need to a good power monitor to confirm that, a normal meter would not see the spike/dips.

Agreed. However, I'm wondering if some of those with the most severe problems may just have voltages that are out of compliance. (My previous house had 125.5 VRMS at nearly every outlet. Boy did we go through a lot of light bulbs!)
post #1808 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmerrith View Post

HI,

OK, I admitt, I have a twisted mind. I know what you mean but my first thought was if you plug your DTV Pal into 425 volts, it ain't going to last long.

Ken M

I could take mine to work and find out, but I just paid $250, so I'll take a pass on this one. However great minds do think alike, I thought about this too!
post #1809 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

I've been thinking the problems some are seeing may be related to power supply problems, as has also been posted by someone else, IIRC. Perhaps some of the units cannot handle lower line voltages properly. Alternatively, it may not handle load current changes well. Finally, it may have both line and load regulation problems. This statement by Dish support sounds almost like an admission of such a problem.

My line voltage varies between about 117.5 and 118.5 VRMS, which is in the lower half of the appropriate normal range of 115 to 125 VRMS and I have only had one reboot in 3 weeks of use. I wonder if those having the most problems have very low line voltage in their homes. Of course, momentary dips caused by current surges from other equipment on the same breaker could also be a problem, as the tech implied.

Everyone: if you are comfortable measuring the voltage coming from your outlet, please report it along with your experiences. If you are not sure how to do this safely, PLEASE DO NOT TRY!

Thoughts?

Reg

Interesting theory. I measured my voltage at an available outlet on the Panamax surge protector that the DTVPal DVR is plugged into. It measured 126.3. I have not had any reboots or lockups since I set it up Dec. 23. (On F202 since Dec. 23, using HDMI.)
post #1810 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

One other thought.. Are the people with reboot issues using component or HDMI?

Yes
post #1811 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HD_addict View Post

Are you sure you have DVR selected when setting up the timer and not AUTO TUNE? If AUTO TUNE is selected, nothing will record.

From the manual...

Setting Up Timers
Use a timer when you want to view or record a future program. There are two
types of timers:
DVR - Records a program to your DTVPal DVR hard drive.
Auto Tune/Reminder - Displays an on-screen reminder when your
program is about to start. In addition, Auto Tune changes channels.

Thanks. Yep I made sure that the timer events are DVR. I'm going to try the resetting to factory defaults tonight. Any other ideas? This is usually set for just one event once.
post #1812 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Nerd View Post

I get better PQ with lower signal strength/quality from the Digital Stream box.

I take it you mean less pixellation and breakup, and not actual picture quality?
post #1813 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:

One other thought.. Are the people with reboot issues using component or HDMI? I'm using component myself.

component at this point
post #1814 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I take it you mean less pixellation and breakup, and not actual picture quality?

Yes, sorry for the use of the wrong term.
post #1815 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just got my DTVPal DVR just last night, so I hadn't had much time to play with it. However the only real issue I've run into is with timer conflicts where they shouldn't exist.. However I was able to reschedule and it worked itself out. I believe this is a bug which hopefully will get squashed in a firmware update.. Here's what happened.. Lost appears to be in 3 1 hour segments, so I set a timer for each segment.. Then where I run into trouble is when I set a timer for American Idol which comes on at the same time as the first segment of Lost at 8:00 PM. However for whatever reason the EPG data shows that American Idol is running 3 minutes longer which I think might be confusing the DVR. I had to delete the first segment of Lost, add American Idol, then add the first segment of Lost back.. At that point the DVR seemed to be satisfied. Like I said, that's got to be a bug.

For those with the not coming on problem. If you are using an HDMI cable try leaving you TV off and then turn on the DVR and then the TV. This happened to me when I changed from component cables to HDMI. I turn the DVR off but left the TV on and when I tied turning on the DVR nothing. Unplugged DVR and it went through its routine and then shut off and would not come on. Turned off TV and then turned on DVR OK. Since no problem no matter wichwas turned on first.

post #1816 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:

How did the return process go for you?

I did not make a return...yet. By "second batch" I meant mine was shipped in January and not in the original December shipments. I have mine plugged into a UPS that shows the incoming voltage, so I will check that to see if it is low.
post #1817 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegGuheert View Post

I've been thinking the problems some are seeing may be related to power supply problems, as has also been posted by someone else, IIRC. Perhaps some of the units cannot handle lower line voltages properly...

I must have pretty good power coming to my outlet. I have a surge protector with another surge protector accommodating a stereo, dvd, vcr, digital converter box, lcd and dvr... and no freeze/reboot problems.
post #1818 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil08 View Post

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If I leave the unit on (green light on), I don't have any problems with the timers. Do most people just leave this on 24/7?

NO unless you unplug it and maybe not even then the timers don't go away. I would say your box is broke or you are doing something that is not obvious. I am not aware of anyone else having this problem.

Did you click all the right buttons? After you set everything if you click CANCEL you may lose what you did. As someone pointed out all the menus don't work the same.
post #1819 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForAV View Post

Does anyone know how long will it last if I hook up a 425VA/230Watts battery backup to the DtvPAl?

Thanks.

How big is the battery? What you really want to know however is the number of watt hours the UPS can provide. Just to make it easy assume the unit draws 25 watts.
post #1820 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by isnms View Post

I must have pretty good power coming to my outlet. I have a surge protector with another surge protector accommodating a stereo, dvd, vcr, digital converter box, lcd and dvr... and no freeze/reboot problems.

Has anyone out there experienced a system reboot/freeze while their DTVPal DVR is plugged into a UPS or voltage regulator?

PSN ID: Kranin
post #1821 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

Has anyone out there experienced a system reboot/freeze while their DTVPal DVR is plugged into a UPS or voltage regulator?

Yes. I have experienced both while plugged into a Geek Squad UPS from Best Buy.
post #1822 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:25 PM

I received my DVR last night, hooked it up and everything went ok. Did a channel scan and the unit found 34 channels. Pulled up the guide and had 8 days of guide info. Did another channel scan and the unit found 5 more channels. Set the box to record "Judge Joe Brown" and "The People's Court." I just got home, checked the box and it recorded both shows. So, so far so good (I hope I didn't just jinx myself). Has anyone had this unit for longer than a month and hasn't experienced ANY problems with it? Now that I have the box, I'm thinking about dropping Time Warner Cable. Should I keep TWC around for a while longer just incase the DVR starts to "act up"?
post #1823 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 PM

By Pass DVR using Coax connections?

I just received my unit today. Ordered back in Dec.

I plan to use HDMI cable to hook up to my TV. My question is: Can I also use the "coax out" of the DVR and hook up to the TV "antenna in" of my TV and use that to by-pass the DVR?

Could I also bring the DVR "coax out" and hook up to my VCR "antenna in" then continue with coax to TV "antenna in?" Will the VCR then be able to receive a digital signal?
post #1824 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but remember with it being cold outside, it's probably not a good idea to just rip your DVR out of the box and hook it up and go.. ...

The manual even says if it is cold to the touch don't power it up.
post #1825 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C54way View Post

By Pass DVR using Coax connections?

I just received my unit today. Ordered back in Dec.

I plan to use HDMI cable to hook up to my TV. My question is: Can I also use the "coax out" of the DVR and hook up to the TV "antenna in" of my TV and use that to by-pass the DVR?

Could I also bring the DVR "coax out" and hook up to my VCR "antenna in" then continue with coax to TV "antenna in?" Will the VCR then be able to receive a digital signal?

why not just use a splitter one cble to the dvr and one to the tv. that way you can record 2 shows and watch another live program on the tv.

You probably can record to the vcr, but why? you would probably loose that tuner.

post #1826 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I so far (knock one wood) hadn't had a single reboot since hooking up my DTVPal last night....

Some people have reboots out of the box but it seems to me that in most cases the DVR works fine for about a week before it starts to reboot.
post #1827 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Day 2.

Reset power counter last night - it was at 4, what it should have been if there's two from the factory. Today, still "0" even though it found two new stations (locals that it didn't see because of the bad weather.)

Powered right up - I left the standby at default 4 hr. It occurred to me that using standby too much might increase chances of bad things? A lot of people seem to be turning the thing on and off regularly - I turn it on and leave it alone.

My power chain is dedicated 20A (wish it was 30A)->Tripp-Lite power conditioner (i.e. voltage regulator)->1400VA UPS.

No trouble getting the remote to work with panny plasma. I tried a few codes then did the up/down thing. I followed the directions exactly and it worked first time.

TVGOS sucks - only get two stations so far that go out a week. Doesn't really matter to me, but it would be fun to have. I've never had a guide of any sort before, strictly OTA here, and the PSIP going out several hours saves a lot of channel surfing and I'm diggin it.

It was a trip watching HD recorded programming last night, having 5.1 sound made a larger impact than I thought it would (Philips is 2.0.) But I was frustrated by not having a counter when viewing recorded material.

Is there an easy way to view time remaining or whatever when viewing a recording?

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1828 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Day 2.

Reset power counter last night - it was at 4, what it should have been if there's two from the factory. Today, still "0" even though it found two new stations (locals that it didn't see because of the bad weather.)

Powered right up - I left the standby at default 4 hr. It occurred to me that using standby too much might increase chances of bad things? A lot of people seem to be turning the thing on and off regularly - I turn it on and leave it alone.

My power chain is dedicated 20A (wish it was 30A)->Tripp-Lite power conditioner (i.e. voltage regulator)->1400VA UPS.

No trouble getting the remote to work with panny plasma. I tried a few codes then did the up/down thing. I followed the directions exactly and it worked first time.

TVGOS sucks - only get two stations so far that go out a week. Doesn't really matter to me, but it would be fun to have. I've never had a guide of any sort before, strictly OTA here, and the PSIP going out several hours saves a lot of channel surfing and I'm diggin it.

It was a trip watching HD recorded programming last night, having 5.1 sound made a larger impact than I thought it would (Philips is 2.0.) But I was frustrated by not having a counter when viewing recorded material.

Is there an easy way to view time remaining or whatever when viewing a recording?

Hit "pause"

post #1829 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

Got mine late last night, set it up this morning but did not have time to play with it much.

As stated before by some, the power cycle counter said 3 when first plugged in.

My only other note at this time is that the tuner does not appear to be very sensitive.

I used the same antenna (without changing it's location or setup at all) and simply unplugged it from a TiVo Hd, a Samsung DTB-H260HF, and an HDTV (all in different rooms). All the others picked up all my local channels with only the Samsung having occasional signal loss/dropouts on 2 channels. The DTVPal only picked up (not counting sub-channels) 2 good channels - one had a solid 98 signal level and the other a 77. Two other channels kept cutting out and the rest were missing.

In previous posts it had been suggested that I was getting TOO MUCH signal and the meter indicates quality of signal, not quantity.

I'll try the unit upstairs and see if that improves things.

I don't know if it's lack of sensitivity causing the problem. All my signals are in the 90's and the sound still drops out on PBS. No other digital tuner I own has problems picking up PBS (I also have used a Samsung SIR-T151 and the internal tuner in my 2003 Mits WS-65513). As of 2/17 PBS and CBS are moving back to their original frequencies, I'll wait and see what happens then.

It has been suggested in previous posts that I may actually have too much signal (I get 100% on some channels). The meter may measure quality rather than strength.
post #1830 of 18255 Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Pause. Anyone know a better way?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page