88Likes

post #18331 of 18348 Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Just the small cash and time, but small chance you'll fix it.
Still a chance, so try and tell us.
I have been busy so never got around to ordering the capacitors, which turned out to be the best thing. A couple of days ago, had the problem where the record button on screen was not working. Anyway after a reboot, it said something about the hard drive being corrupted. I did a hard drive format, and now everything seems to be working again. Not sure if this is a prelude to a hard drive failure, or maybe this box will be good for a couple more years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18332 of 18348 Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
I have been busy so never got around to ordering the capacitors, which turned out to be the best thing. A couple of days ago, had the problem where the record button on screen was not working. Anyway after a reboot, it said something about the hard drive being corrupted. I did a hard drive format, and now everything seems to be working again. Not sure if this is a prelude to a hard drive failure, or maybe this box will be good for a couple more years.
I would advise you follow the post The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!

Last edited by P Smith; 09-03-2014 at 04:51 AM.
post #18333 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Pal is "… unable to detect a signal in your area". The error code is A631. I am stuck in the install wizard where it is trying to help me point my antenna, but no station is getting any signal whatsoever. The situation occurred while I was trying to replace the hard drive with a bigger drive.

Brian in Atlanta
post #18334 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian, I would recommend you read the thread - the problem discussed many times already ....
post #18335 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Stuck in "unable to detect a signal"

P. Smith,

I tried finding comments on this in the thread unsuccessfully. I even googled "site:avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/ unable to detect a signal" and came up with no valuable hits. Can you suggest a better search string or strategy, please?

I think this may be different from most cases, because I cannot get out of the part of the install session. Whenever I unplug the Pal it comes right back to the same place upon plugging in again. Also if I hold down the power button on the controller, I come back to the same spot.
post #18336 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
zerowords, I tried the search too, searched "A631" and of 18,335 posts only yours, #18335 , mentions that error. So it isn't that easy. Better I think to simply answer the question if you know what the answer is. Or refer to specific posts.
post #18337 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
It's possible the RF input cable was damaged when you disconnected or reconnected it. Assuming you've checked that already, if the "unable to detect a signal" problem occurred after replacing a HDD, it seems likely that the RF input was damaged somehow.

Open it back up and carefully check the connection between the F-connector and the circuit board. It might have broken.
post #18338 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It's possible the RF input cable was damaged when you disconnected or reconnected it. Assuming you've checked that already, if the "unable to detect a signal" problem occurred after replacing a HDD, it seems likely that the RF input was damaged somehow.

Open it back up and carefully check the connection between the F-connector and the circuit board. It might have broken.
JHBrandt,

Can you speak more basically to me, pls? I don't know what an F-Connector is, nor what I should be looking for as damaged.

The Antenna plugs in directly next to a silvery box. Is the F-connector there? If so, where?

Thanks.
post #18339 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowords View Post
JHBrandt,

Can you speak more basically to me, pls? I don't know what an F-Connector is, nor what I should be looking for as damaged.

The Antenna plugs in directly next to a silvery box. Is the F-connector there? If so, where?

Thanks.
The F-Connector is what you plug the antenna cable into on the back of the DVR.
post #18340 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Chuck44,

I have 2 Pals and 2 antennae, but only 1 TV and hdmi cable. I have tried both antennae in the bad Pal and neither works. Can you or others suggest other simple things I can test? The F-connector I presume is the thing that has threads on the outside of, and that I screw the antenna into, right? It looks perfect.

I have a mulitimeter, but that is about all of the electrical equipment I have, but an acquaintance may have much more equipment.
post #18341 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
This may be a bit harder than I thought. I forgot the whole tuner assembly was shielded (in that silvery box you mentioned).

If you were to take the cover off the silvery box, you'd see the other end of the F connector. The center conductor should be connected to the printed-circuit board. It carries TV signals from the antenna to the tuners.

It sounds like that connection might have gotten broken somehow, possibly when you were unscrewing or reconnecting the antenna cable. But because of the box that shields this part of the DVR, it's a lot tougher to check than I thought. So it might be best to have someone with some expertise in this area look at it instead.

I'd recommend P Smith, but he's in Greece now
post #18342 of 18348 Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

seems to me it's new work order for a person who are skilled in repairing of such DVR ... could be bad a tuner's chip or demod or something else; you should start from visual inspection first; check capacitors, etc
post #18343 of 18348 Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This may be a bit harder than I thought. I forgot the whole tuner assembly was shielded (in that silvery box you mentioned).

If you were to take the cover off the silvery box, you'd see the other end of the F connector. The center conductor should be connected to the printed-circuit board. It carries TV signals from the antenna to the tuners.

It sounds like that connection might have gotten broken somehow, possibly when you were unscrewing or reconnecting the antenna cable. But because of the box that shields this part of the DVR, it's a lot tougher to check than I thought. So it might be best to have someone with some expertise in this area look at it instead.

I'd recommend P Smith, but he's in Greece now
Is there a trick to opening this silvery box and if I get in there are there capacitors that might be bulged in there? Or is there any connectivity testing I could do?

Thanks,

Brian in Atlanta
post #18344 of 18348 Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Is there a trick to opening this silvery box and if I get in there are there capacitors that might be bulged in there? Or is there any connectivity testing I could do?

Thanks,

Brian in Atlanta
Go back and look at the attached pic in 18272. Shows the caps on the main board known to fail. No report I know of any caps inside that silver shield box. That box appears to have a clip-on cover. Can't see in the pic if there's a twisted tab through it to keep in place, some shields have that. If so, straighten the tab with needle-nose pliers then remove the cover.
post #18345 of 18348 Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 AM

This DVR just had those capacitors replaced by the expert. So I am looking for other problems. Other than recognizing bulged capacitors, about all I know to do electronically speaking is connectivity and voltage/amperage checking. I am not familiar with "twisted tabs" nor with where to apply them in such a situation.

The picture has the following 4 indentations on the cap of the silvery box. Lets agree to name them <, ^, >top, and >bottom.

^ >
v >

Are they involved in opening the silvery box?
post #18346 of 18348 Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
1st Gen. Pal, Pixilation, Freezes - Fixed!

Just a follow-up on my 1st. gen. PalDVR that started to have occasional pixilation and frequent daily freezes requiring a hard (pulled pwr. cord) reset resulting in two different results - downloads PSIP channel guide data if hard drive was NOT in operation, i.e. not recording or playback, the other condition where an error code pops up stating "Error from Hard Drive requires Power Cord Removal" if the Hard Drive was in operation at the time.

All indications that the power supply was the cause motivated me to order a complete set of 105* capacitors and today did the repair. The results were as I suspected, but a complete set was over-kill. Since the separate power board (Tan) was a simple dual layer board with easy part replacement, I replaced ALL of the capacitors on this board, even though none were bulging. I kept these capacitors for emergency use later if necessary.

The actual cause of the problem was C34 on the Main Board (Green) power supply section - a 2200 uf 10V capacitor with a bulging top. This board is a multi-layer board with plated-thru holes which seldom have clear holes after part removal unless you have a 'solder sucker'. which I don't, so hole clearing requires extra careful hand drilling with a fine drill in a pin vise. Because of this, I only replaced that single capacitor.

So far, there has NOT been a single hiccup doing multiple operations/functions simultaneously. Because of this, I personally recommend only purchase of 3-4 2200 uf 10V capacitors Newark #65R3934 Nichicon #UPW1A222MHD1TO for future replacement - I bought 10 @ $0.946 ea. at that quantity. Cheap future reliability.

I would caution everyone that has seen this problem to get this repair completed before un-repairable system failure occurs - a cheap capacitor replacement can give MANY future years of happy recording, especially when there is no comparable DVR on the market today. Happy programming.
Chuck44 likes this.
post #18347 of 18348 Old 09-13-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This DVR just had those capacitors replaced by the expert. So I am looking for other problems. Other than recognizing bulged capacitors, about all I know to do electronically speaking is connectivity and voltage/amperage checking. I am not familiar with "twisted tabs" nor with where to apply them in such a situation.

The picture has the following 4 indentations on the cap of the silvery box. Lets agree to name them <, ^, >top, and >bottom.

^ >
v >

Are they involved in opening the silvery box?
NO, there is no twisted tabs; just pull the cover up by gently holding two sides; or start from a corner, use plastic "spatula"-like tool (I'm using my nails for that ).
post #18348 of 18348 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

I removed the cover of the silvery box and inspected that area and found nothing and still the antenna feed is not being noticed by the Pal.

I am giving up for now. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Brian in Atlanta
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page