The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 613 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #18361 of 18366 Old 09-20-2014, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My unit was freezing/not recording so I replaced the two capacitors and everything is normal again. Thanks to hankw69! I ended up with one 85 degree capacitor, anyone see issues with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18362 of 18366 Old 09-20-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just be prepared to replace it sooner. Since one failed in that location in the circuit already, obviously it is in a higher stress operating condition.
post #18363 of 18366 Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post
My unit was freezing/not recording so I replaced the two capacitors and everything is normal again. Thanks to hankw69! I ended up with one 85 degree capacitor, anyone see issues with that?
Well, 85 degrees Celsius is equivalent to 185 degrees Fahrenheit, and I hope your unit gets nowhere near that hot.
post #18364 of 18366 Old 09-20-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Not just the ambient temperature, but the internal operating temperature of the capacitor that causes some to expand and puff out the top or push the rubber gasket out the bottom, others dry out and fail. Higher temp 105°C caps last longer in those conditions.
post #18365 of 18366 Old Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
An OTA Tech Question

I have coax running from my basement about 15 feet or so to the second floor closet where I use a splitter to send coax 8 feet to my DTVPAL DVR connected to a Sharp TV. The other output from the splitter goes up into my attic and across the house 30 feet to another bedroom where it feeds another Sharp TV.

Today I decided to experiment and unhooked the splitter and used a coupling to connect the feed from the basement to the DTVPAL DVR bypassing the splitter.

I used readings from the DTVPAL DVR to see the signal results before and after.

To my surprise the results were the same. No improvement on any of the 10 UHF or 3 VHF channels I receive.

I was expecting much better results from pulling the splitter. Some people say splitters can reduce signal by 50%. That may be an exaggeration but signal should be reduced...

Any thoughts on why I see no change at all?
post #18366 of 18366 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It is true that a passive splitter will reduce signal power by at least 50%. (Conservation of energy.) However that won't necessarily reduce signal readings by much.

A couple of reasons for this: first, because the variance between your strongest and weakest signal could easily be many orders of magnitude, signal strength is usually measured on a logarithmic scale (decibels), and that >50% loss is only about 3.5 or 4 decibels.

Second, the signal meter in boxes like the Pal usually measures not only raw strength but also signal quality (error rate). Chances are, the quality didn't change when you boosted the strength by a few decibels, so the small change in signal strength is diluted even more by the lack of change in quality.

So, since the Pal's signal readings jitter a bit naturally, it's likely that a 3-4 decibel change wouldn't be noticeable on most stations. You might see an improvement in "on-the-cliff" stations.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 07:41 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page