Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #18391 of 18395 Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
That will be great if it keeps on running and no random resets. The seller will likely be happy to close the case. Had that one been opened up before? Wonder where the metal filings came from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18392 of 18395 Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I sure hope so. After all, I spent the money because I'd rather have the Pal.

No evidence it had been opened before. All those #!%#$ clips that make the Pal so hard to open were still intact. My guess is that the metal filings were always there but never caused a problem until the Pal got jostled around a bit too much during shipping. Ironically, as far as I can tell, his original HDD and mine both work fine.
post #18393 of 18395 Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
DST problems usually start exactly one month before the actual DST transition; this year, Oct. 2. There are a lot of stations with buggy PSIP encoders which incorrectly report the date of the DST transition as the "2nd" starting on that date, which fools a lot of receivers, including our Pals, into thinking DST occurs Oct. 2 instead of Nov. 2 when it actually occurs.
A couple of years ago I had a local station respond to my complaint and they forwarded it to their hardware vendor. That vendor was certain that their hardware was perfect and the problem was in the receivers. But I did submit a request to the people who write the ATSC standards and they did modify it from the very unclear version. It still isn't quite as clear as I would like but it is an improvement.

One tiny problem with that is that the FCC regulations require compliance to a version of that document that is now two revisions out of date.
post #18394 of 18395 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what that company expects the receivers to do. I guess they think all the receivers are supposed to "notice" the time change in the month before it happens, then when the day arrives, ignore what PSIP is telling them is happening that day, but still make the time change anyway, based on what the receiver "remembers" from prior days.

I suppose that would work, but it seems to expect an awful lot of intelligence from consumer equipment. In practice, it means all the receivers in North America either get it wrong two days a year, or else they throw up their hands and leave DST changes up to the user. Both of which are probably fine for a TV or STB, but are a disaster for a DVR. (Of course with the Pal, the problem is compounded by the Pal's own DST bugs.)
post #18395 of 18395 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Believe it or not, I think I may have fixed this crazy Pal.

After I got home Friday I put back the original HDD (in its original bracket) so that I could send it back Saturday. Then I decided I needed to make sure it was still rebooting itself like it had been, so I hooked it up one last time.

And it ran all evening without rebooting. Even woke up and recorded a cartoon Saturday morning.

Unfortunately it still wasn't quite right, because it rebooted again Saturday evening. But that was still a big enough improvement, I decided there was hope for this thing after all.

So I put my HDD back in. This time it rebooted after about an hour and 15 minutes.

I really didn't think there was a problem with my HDD. I hadn't had any trouble with it at all in my old Pal, and the new Pal had first rebooted with its original HDD. But maybe something happened to the SATA cable or connector during shipping?

So I took it apart once more, pulled the main board, and gave the SATA connector a close visual inspection. I saw what appeared to be a metal filing at the base of the connector where it's soldered to the board. I wasn't sure though: even with a good flashlight this is really hard to see because it's soldered to the top of the board and there's only a millimeter or so between the board and the connector housing.

I also thought I saw some metal filings within the connector housing itself, where the cable slides in. So I got a sewing needle and very carefully used it to remove any visible debris.

Then I put it back together and so far, it seems to be working. I'll give it a couple more days to be sure, but I'm very cautiously optimistic.
Too optimistic, it turns out. It rebooted again last night. So I guess it's going back after all

It does seem to have improved from when I first got it last Wed. Then, it rebooted every time I turned it on, if I waited up to an hour or so. Now, there's only a 50/50 chance it'll reboot any given time I turn it on. After being on for about an hour and a half, it seems stable. So I might be able to work around the reboots by leaving it on 24/7

I would suspect a heat-related issue if "on" weren't such a meaningless term with the Pal. Essentially, if it's plugged in, it's always "on," using power, spinning the HDD, etc. The only thing that changes when you turn it "on" is that the video outputs and green LED come on, and it starts buffering the channel you're tuned to.

BTW, the first time it rebooted, I was using component outputs; the other times, HDMI. So even that doesn't seem to matter.

Since it only reboots when "on," I still suspect an intermittent bad SATA connection is the source of the problem. But so far it has never rebooted during a timed recording. Maybe I've just been lucky, but every show I've recorded has been complete.

It's so frustrating to have a Pal that almost works right....
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page