post #18481 of 18488 Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
OK, that's good evidence it probably is a bad tuner. I guess P Smith could help but shipping to/from Greece is a nightmare.

We need someone with the skills and equipment to desolder and resolder SMC chips. I'm not sure if the tuner chips are BGAs but even if not, I bet they still have a lot of teeny contacts, and anything beyond a simple electrolytic capacitor is beyond my skill set.
Nope, not BGA, but still is not easy to [de]solder because of middle pad (thermo-conductive) and tricky side contacts on all four edges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18482 of 18488 Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks to Ed_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Nope no plug-in. Old ones have to be de-soldered first, and depending on the circuit board can pose a challenge getting the old ones out without damaging the board. Then the new ones get soldered in.
Thanks for the reply. I guess it was too much to hope for.
post #18483 of 18488 Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down

After a visit from the DISH Network repair man (that I was unavailable to supervise) he replaced my faulty roof dish (well, the switch that allows 2 tv's to run off of one box). Now my DTV Pal remote works my DISH Network (non-HD box...long story) box and my DISH Network remote works my DTV Pal but all the buttons are not the same. How can I get them back the way they were? Both remotes used to work both boxes.

DISREGARD!!! I found it! YOUTUBE saves my butt again.

Last edited by Nightingale; 10-28-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #18484 of 18488 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Nope, not BGA, but still is not easy to [de]solder because of middle pad (thermo-conductive) and tricky side contacts on all four edges.
'Quad" flat IC? Easy if you know how and have the equipment. Problem I have is finding a replacement IC. I inquired about this Microtune tuner IC before, came up zero. I gave up.

I've replaced dozens of those quad flat ICs, some with 80-100 pins, especially in JVC VCRs back in the day, was the front VFT display driver IC that failed a lot in those.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; Yesterday at 06:03 AM.
post #18485 of 18488 Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
In my case the DVR stopped propagating the program guide. I attempted a soft boot with no success. I then tried a factory default but it will not get past the loading program step and does not find any channels even though I know the antenna is working. Unfortunately this has now made the unit unusable. In the past others have speculated this is because the tuner(s) are faulty (see past comments) I tried contacting PSmith but he is not presently repairing these DVRs so I would like to find someone else that can repair/replace the tuner(s).
Sounds like Ed can replace your tuner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
'Quad" flat IC? Easy if you know how and have the equipment. Problem I have is finding a replacement IC. I inquired about this Microtune tuner IC before, came up zero. I gave up.

I've replaced dozens of those quad flat ICs, some with 80-100 pins, especially in JVC VCRs back in the day, was the front VFT display driver IC that failed a lot in those.
As it happens, I have a dead Pal with presumably good tuner ICs. Maybe we can work a 3-way deal here?
post #18486 of 18488 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing I have never done is remove one of those quad flat ICs and re-use it. You have to get it really hot to get it desoldered and the dab of glue to let go they sometimes used under the IC.
post #18487 of 18488 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 133
pay attention to written posts ... the tuner's chip has SOLDERED bottom pad; and the chip has side's contacts for soldering, not legs as you experienced in VHS devices

I would recommend practice before play with TR-50's chips, also use professional tools like Metcal/OKI irons.
post #18488 of 18488 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
pay attention to written posts ... the tuner's chip has SOLDERED bottom pad; and the chip has side's contacts for soldering, not legs as you experienced in VHS devices
Oh, OK. I didn't read that into your first comment. And I don't recall any mechanical details discussed about these ICs. I tried to find a data sheet on it some time back and gave up. That's why I asked.

Microtune was in (correction) Plano TX I guess I could drop by there and ask! (If they were still there). Doing a bit of research seems Zoran Corp. bought the company in 2010.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; Today at 07:41 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page