The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 621 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #18601 of 18610 Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have questions about the double soft reboot. Does it mean at least 2 soft reboots, or does it mean only 2 soft reboots, i.e. every other one should fix drifting clock problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18602 of 18610 Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post
I have questions about the double soft reboot. Does it mean at least 2 soft reboots, or does it mean only 2 soft reboots, i.e. every other one should fix drifting clock problems?
at least 2 soft reboots (or power failures)

(Mark, if you are still monitoring this thread, how did you ever figure that one out?)
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #18603 of 18610 Old 01-22-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
An observation: Last weekend my Pal DVR #1 locked up twice in 24 hours, and I had to do a soft re-boot each time to get it to respond again. From doing that the clock has obtained lock on PSIP time and stopped drifting 8 sec a day. It was a minute and a half fast and gaining last week before the lockups. Now it's 13 sec slow matching 'Pal #2 in the other room.
post #18604 of 18610 Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Stand alone DVR using an android TV box

I started to look for a replacement for my beloved PALDVR box after I stopped getting a good guide data.. Then last month it finally bit the dust. So after months and months of trial and errors, I finally found my solution.

I wanted an inexpensive solution for a device that could play my over the air channels, both SD and HD, flawlessly. I wanted free guide data, recording, and pause/play function.

With the right $100 Android TV box and a $75 HDHomeRun dual OTA ATSC I have an awesome DVR box. However it is not an out of the box solution, it does take time to set it up.

Here is a video I made showing my setup.

Paul210, andy416us, kwg and 2 others like this.
post #18605 of 18610 Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Clark, it would be too early derail the thead to other DVR models. Many thousand of TR50 still working fine. Lets keep the thread on the topic!
phildaant and Chuck44 like this.
post #18606 of 18610 Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
On the other hand, I appreciate the information. I wouldn't know about it had it not been posted here in this thread. Thanks Clarkss12!
Paul210, kwg and Donald1800 like this.
post #18607 of 18610 Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
at least 2 soft reboots (or power failures)

(Mark, if you are still monitoring this thread, how did you ever figure that one out?)

I'm still here. I discovered that the double reboot locked the clock to the PSIP data, after I had been experimenting with setting the clock manually. When I was done experimenting, I wanted to lock the clock back to the PSIP time, and thought a reboot would do it. When that didn't work, I tried the reboot again, and that time it worked. I then repeated the experiment by setting the clock off a few minutes, and verified that it took two reboots to lock the drifting clock back to the PSIP time.
ccrider2 likes this.
post #18608 of 18610 Old Today, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
I started to look for a replacement for my beloved PALDVR box after I stopped getting a good guide data.. Then last month it finally bit the dust. So after months and months of trial and errors, I finally found my solution.

I wanted an inexpensive solution for a device that could play my over the air channels, both SD and HD, flawlessly. I wanted free guide data, recording, and pause/play function.

With the right $100 Android TV box and a $75 HDHomeRun dual OTA ATSC I have an awesome DVR box. However it is not an out of the box solution, it does take time to set it up.

Here is a video I made showing my setup.

http://youtu.be/5yRp0j-6xmE

Most of us want to sit comfortably on a couch, sofa or recliner to watch TV and our recordings. I don't want to sit at a keyboard in front of my PC monitor like YOU did at this demo. Plus a new DVR+ can be had for $175 during a promo like I did. Plus we need toys that are wife friendly if we are married.

On the other hand your setup does give an enthusiast lots of toys to play with and a ton of technical info if that is something you like.
post #18609 of 18610 Old Today, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Most of us want to sit comfortably on a couch, sofa or recliner to watch TV and our recordings. I don't want to sit at a keyboard in front of my PC monitor like YOU did at this demo. Plus a new DVR+ can be had for $175 during a promo like I did. Plus we need toys that are wife friendly if we are married.

On the other hand your setup does give an enthusiast lots of toys to play with and a ton of technical info if that is something you like.
Actually I was sitting on the couch watching that demo on my 65" TV, I was using my camcorder to record it, that is why the video is a little cocked. I was just trying to show what can be done with one of these $100 Android boxes and a tuner. Also, the wife has no problem using it.

But, yes this is not a solution for everyone. Most people can't even understand the concept of what I have done.
post #18610 of 18610 Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

I guess I should apologize for posting my solution on this thread, but since I replaced my PALDVR with this box, I thought it was appropriate. Besides, I just wanted to post a link, not have the entire video show up on here, and I am sure that is offensive to others, it would be offensive to me.

One thing I HAVE to mention, is that by having my Personal Video Recorder (PVR) running on this Android box, it becomes a TV server. What that means, is that I have other $80 Android boxes attached to my other TV's in the house and I have the same DVR function on them. What you see in the video, is what I see on the other TV's in the house. All recording are viewable from any of my TVs, and each TV can watch any channel independently to the other TVs.

But again, this is just the solution I have found. I just wish this information was available when I was searching for a solution. Maybe someone else can use this information that took me hundreds of hours to figure out. Of course I am retired and have all the time in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders