The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 623 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes
post #18661 of 18673 Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post
I'm still hoping someone has the answers to these two questions (maybe it's sort of the same question twice). It's something I've been wondering about for some time because I suspect the two reboots DO have to be done within some time frame.
I answered that question several days ago. (I GUESS I DON'T TYPE VERY LOUD!)

Feel free to confirm my findings....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18673 Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
I answered that question several days ago. (I GUESS I DON'T TYPE VERY LOUD!)

Feel free to confirm my findings....
Actually, what you said was:

Quote:
After a factory reset or a channel rescan or manually entering the time, the DTVPal uses the internal clock to determine the correct time. After two warm boots and from then on the DTVPal uses time calculated from PSIP data. Further warm boots have no effect...
Which I already knew, but my original questions were: (1) Will two warm boots still work even if they occur 24 hours apart (as would happen if someone simply set the "check for updates" option)? If so, then setting "check for updates" is probably overkill (since additional reboots after the 2nd day have little effect), but at least the OP's suggestion would work.

And (2) if two warm boots 24 hours apart won't work, as some have suggested, how much time can elapse between the warm boots and still expect to reset the clock to the PSIP average? 2 hours? 10 minutes? 45 seconds?
post #18663 of 18673 Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Two warm boots achieved by any method -- hold the power button for 10 sec, pull the plug, set updates. No time requirement - can be done back to back, can be minutes, days, hours, (years?) apart.

If you manually set the time or rescan the channels you need to repeat the two warm boots.

(If there was a time constrain I would have noted it in my previous post)
JHBrandt likes this.
post #18664 of 18673 Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What a pain in the butt to get apart. Took my original pal apart for a good cleaning and to check it out. Just a little dust on the fan, but inside was surprising very clean and all caps looked good. Cleaned it all with vacuum brush anyway, put it back together, and back in action. I was going to take 2nd apart and clean, but after seeing the 1st, not going to bother with it. Will take the 3rd one apart next time I'm out at condo in Las Vegas, as that one I bought used.
post #18665 of 18673 Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Crashes and clock farts

Quote:
Two warm boots achieved by any method -- hold the power button for 10 sec, pull the plug, set updates. No time requirement - can be done back to back, can be minutes, days, hours, (years?) apart.

If you manually set the time or rescan the channels you need to repeat the two warm boots.

(If there was a time constrain I would have noted it in my previous post)
I'm brand new to your forum because I'm so grateful for all the good advice. In addition to random time changes of 30 to 200 minutes, we had almost daily crashes that required reboot. I never tried the double reboot trick.
Took the PAL apart (very difficult I must say), found the 2200 microfarad power capacitor with bulge, took the mother board to a TV repair guy who, for $25, replaced the 10 volt cap with a 25 volt 2200mf cap and we are now three days trouble free. The 25 volt cap, he says, will handle higher temperatures without failure.
Again, many thanks for this forum. sdhamel
JHBrandt likes this.
post #18666 of 18673 Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
I ordered one of the WD10EURX mentioned by Ed at $49 and $3 shipping. Do I need to do anything special to the drive before putting it in? Will it work right out of the box?
Also, while you have the DVR opened up, look for any capacitors that have the tell-tale bulge on top. Many previous posts deal with this topic. I have just fixed mine that had almost daily crashes and major time changes. All I had to do was have one capacitor replaced.
Maybe you need a new drive, but for sure, any capacitors that are failing need to be replaced too.
sdhamel
post #18667 of 18673 Old 02-21-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhamel View Post
Also, while you have the DVR opened up, look for any capacitors that have the tell-tale bulge on top. Many previous posts deal with this topic. I have just fixed mine that had almost daily crashes and major time changes. All I had to do was have one capacitor replaced.
Maybe you need a new drive, but for sure, any capacitors that are failing need to be replaced too.
sdhamel
Those bulged capacitor posts were back around January 15, 2015.
sdhamel
post #18668 of 18673 Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhamel View Post
Those bulged capacitor posts were back around January 15, 2015.
sdhamel
New Bug, at least for me.

I've had my pal running for about 4 years, and it is starting to freeze up occasionally. Plus some of the audio and video is glitchy during playback. I assume the caps are starting to get dried out, and plan on having all of them replaced during the TV doldums in may or june. Anyway, I recently switched TVs, to one with an HDMI input. I had been using component video all this time. Now, using the HDMI, when the box freezes up, the screen just turns on and off about every two seconds or so, and the box is unresponsive. Even the soft reset with the remote will not work. I actually have to power off the TV, and then press the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to get the Pal to reset. Is that normal? Considering going back to the component video.
post #18669 of 18673 Old 02-22-2015, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I've had my pal running for about 4 years, and it is starting to freeze up occasionally. Plus some of the audio and video is glitchy during playback. I assume the caps are starting to get dried out, and plan on having all of them replaced during the TV doldums in may or june. Anyway, I recently switched TVs, to one with an HDMI input. I had been using component video all this time. Now, using the HDMI, when the box freezes up, the screen just turns on and off about every two seconds or so, and the box is unresponsive. Even the soft reset with the remote will not work. I actually have to power off the TV, and then press the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to get the Pal to reset. Is that normal? Considering going back to the component video.

WARNING!

Freezing, pixilation, etc, are WARNING signs that your power supply is about to fry your electronics rendering your beloved and really un-replaceable PalDVR a DOORSTOP. Do not wait for total failure to open the case and replace those defective capacitors. If you do, it's all over but the cursing.
post #18670 of 18673 Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
... I recently switched TVs, to one with an HDMI input. I had been using component video all this time. Now, using the HDMI, when the box freezes up, the screen just turns on and off about every two seconds or so, and the box is unresponsive. Even the soft reset with the remote will not work. I actually have to power off the TV, and then press the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to get the Pal to reset. Is that normal? Considering going back to the component video.
That can happen with HDMI. There's a complicated handshaking protocol that's not present with component video, so if the Pal freezes up, you may have to shut off the TV to interrupt the handshake in order to reboot the Pal.

IMO the only reasons to choose HDMI over component are convenience (one idiot-proof cable vs. 5 easily mixed-up ones) and maybe slightly better PQ if the component cables are really long.

BTW, I agree with Donald; the Pal's problems will only get worse, and a bad capacitor could eventually cause permanent damage. Best to take care of it ASAP.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-23-2015 at 02:26 PM.
post #18671 of 18673 Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I always turn on the TV first and after it is running turn on other input such as PAL, or Dish or DVD.
Chuck44 likes this.

post #18672 of 18673 Unread Today, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgive me if this is repeat question. My dtvpal is starting to act all kinds of crazy. The timers move ahead or fall behind an hour and last night decided to make 2 recordings of the same show on the same channel a th same time. Please tell me there's an easy fix for this.
post #18673 of 18673 Unread Today, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Probably wait until the DST cbange this weekend and it may straighten itself out. You will probably have to delete and re-enter timers as they may get screwed up in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page