The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 189Likes

post #18751 of 18777 Old 05-22-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Curses on CBS, PSIP guide, wmc guide and any others that got the last, David Letterman Show, end-time wrong!

I wanted nothing to go wrong, so I recorded the show on both my pal and wmc. For the pal I added 5-min. With wmc I added 10-min. The pal ended about when Dave was thanking his family. WMC ended with the Foo Fighters just starting to perform!

All for the best I suppose. I thought I might be a little sad at the end of the show. Instead I was pissed! Made it much easier to say good-bye.
I heard on Ch 11 news about 30 min before, that the show would be extended so I set a manual 90 min timer. Got the whole show minus audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 18777 Old 05-22-2015, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you delete the recording? If not, as I recall, there is a procedure to get the pal to play the audio.

My pal is just a back-up now but before I got setup with wmc, I was having quite a few pal recordings with no audio. Not all, but most, I could get the audio back.

If you still have your recording, I'll fire-up my pal and see if I can remember the steps I used.
Yes I still have the recording. I tried a few things. I tried anything audio related I could think of. If you can come up with a way that would be great!
post #18753 of 18777 Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To restore 5.1 audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
I heard on Ch 11 news about 30 min before, that the show would be extended so I set a manual 90 min timer. Got the whole show minus audio.
I did not watch my local CBS affiliate news but I did watch the National News on CBS. They promoted the finale but no mention of going long. I watched what I missed on youtube.

Quote:
Yes I still have the recording. I tried a few things. I tried anything audio related I could think of. If you can come up with a way that would be great!
ed_in_tx, I think these are the steps I used to restore audio.

With the problem recording playing - select ...

Menu > 3-setup > 3-audio setup > language = spanish & output = mono > done

Then back into - 3-audio setup > language = english & output = stereo > done

(This assumes your default settings were, "language = english & output = stereo," like mine.)

If you have audio, cancel out to the playback, if no audio, repeat.

Note: If the audio is restored, it is only while you continue to play the recording. You can skip / FF / RW but if you stop playback, you will likely need to repeat the above to get the audio back again.

There was something about this particular sequence. More often then not, this restored the audio for me. Often it worked the first time, sometimes it took several tries. A few times I couldn't get it to work but tried again later and it did.

Good luck, if no joy, there's the online options.
ed_in_tx and JHBrandt like this.
post #18754 of 18777 Old 05-22-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did not watch my local CBS affiliate news but I did watch the National News on CBS. They promoted the finale but no mention of going long. I watched what I missed on youtube.

ed_in_tx, I think these are the steps I used to restore audio.

With the problem recording playing - select ...

Menu > 3-setup > 3-audio setup > language = spanish & output = mono > done

Then back into - 3-audio setup > language = english & output = stereo > done

(This assumes your default settings were, "language = english & output = stereo," like mine.)

If you have audio, cancel out to the playback, if no audio, repeat.

Note: If the audio is restored, it is only while you continue to play the recording. You can skip / FF / RW but if you stop playback, you will likely need to repeat the above to get the audio back again.

There was something about this particular sequence. More often then not, this restored the audio for me. Often it worked the first time, sometimes it took several tries. A few times I couldn't get it to work but tried again later and it did.

Good luck, if no joy, there's the online options.
Did exactly as you said... By golly there's audio! Wow...thanks!

I 300X'd back to the beginning of the show and so far it's staying on.
post #18755 of 18777 Old 05-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Did exactly as you said... By golly there's audio! Wow...thanks!

I 300X'd back to the beginning of the show and so far it's staying on.
Happy beat me to it. I had the same problem once and doing the spanish-english thing worked. I think it was also a network thing because it only seemed to happen on abc. They probably did it on purpose to create problems for those who record.

post #18756 of 18777 Old 05-23-2015, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Did exactly as you said... By golly there's audio! Wow...thanks! ...
Happy to help. Enjoy the show!
post #18757 of 18777 Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Usually when I get no audio (typically on local Ch 5 NBC or Ch 11 CBS) it's after I change to that channel and the commercials may be mute. Re-tune and all OK. Anyway thanks again!
post #18758 of 18777 Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My PAL is starting to fail. It has no problem recording, but when watching live or a recording, it will intermittently stutter, lose sound and picture. The sound will come back after a 1 or 2 seconds or so, but the video will be out for quite a few seconds. After three or four of these cutouts, the system with lock up and have to unplug it to get it to work again.

Is this a known failure mode and is it worth fixing?
post #18759 of 18777 Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had a similar problem once. I solved it by unplugging, then plugging back in the HDMI cable.
MikeBiker likes this.
post #18760 of 18777 Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be a capacitor or more failing causing problems, due to age these are getting on 5 to 6 years old. Could also be the hard drive, I had one start acting erratic before it finally gave a HDD Error, a few years before capacitors started failing.
post #18761 of 18777 Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post
I had a similar problem once. I solved it by unplugging, then plugging back in the HDMI cable.
Taking this advice seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks a lot, Chuck!!!!
post #18762 of 18777 Old 06-05-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Great!
LenL likes this.
post #18763 of 18777 Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Its amazing how sometimes a simple idea can fix a complex issue! Great tip!
post #18764 of 18777 Old 06-07-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
My PAL is starting to fail. It has no problem recording, but when watching live or a recording, it will intermittently stutter, lose sound and picture. The sound will come back after a 1 or 2 seconds or so, but the video will be out for quite a few seconds. After three or four of these cutouts, the system with lock up and have to unplug it to get it to work again.

Is this a known failure mode and is it worth fixing?
Glad to hear uplugging the HDMI cable worked for you, but if the problem comes back you should probably consider replacing the capacitors. At least open the case (search for instructions in this thread) so you can see if there's any bulging in the 2-4 usual suspects. Mine was giving me all kinds of headaches, but since I replaced the 4 capacitors (also instructions in this thread, cost me about $5 and an hour's worth of time) it's been working like a charm.
post #18765 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PAL DVR will not respond to remote

Hello all:

My DTVPal is not acknowledging/responding to the remote. I was using it last night when we had a power flicker during a storm. It came back on and worked just fine, playing back recorded shows, changing channels and even recording events that were scheduled after the power flicker. I turned it off with the remote last night before I went to sleep and when I got up this morning it wouldn't turn back on. To my knowledge there was no other power flicker during the night (none of the clocks needed reset).

I tried unplugging it a couple times, and after doing so the front lights did come back on along with my TV displaying the DTVPAL splash screen, with it saying "Entering Standby Mode" and to press SysInfo or Power to take it out off standby mode. But no matter what it still wouldn't respond to the remote.

This has happened once before and I thought unplugging it was what worked, but maybe that wasn't what I did previously. It is set to record a show this morning though I am/will be at work when it is supposed to do so so I wont be able to see if the red light comes on.

Anyone have suggestions, as they would be greatly appreciated? Thank you!
post #18766 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

RE: PAL DVR will not respond to remote

Read these two posts 18695 and 18696, may be what happened. I managed to accidentally change the remote code on mine a few months ago.

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
post #18767 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
RE: PAL DVR will not respond to remote

Read these two posts 18695 and 18696, may be what happened. I managed to accidentally change the remote code on mine a few months ago.

The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!

Thanks for the response. I suppose that could have happened, though it would have had to do it on its own as it shut off just fine using the remote last night. I'm not sure how to fix it though since I don't have a DISH receiver and therefore a second remote. I suppose I can get a universal remote and try to see if I can get any of the codes to make it work. If it is just the PAL changing remote IDs, it sounds like if once I can get into the system I can change it back.

I know I didn't do anything so complicated last time though.
post #18768 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I've also seen certain ambient lighting conditions interfere or desensitize the Pal's remote IR receiver in the unit too. The blue splash screen of my Sony TV would desense the Pal's IR receiver and no response from the remote. Holding the remote up within inches of front of the Pal made it work.
post #18769 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
I'm not sure how to fix it though since I don't have a DISH receiver and therefore a second remote.
I think pressing SYS INFO regardless of the code the 'Pal is set to, will bring up the system info screen and show what code it is set to. A back-door way to reset the code, but can cause accidental reset leaving the user scratching his/her head.
post #18770 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I think pressing SYS INFO regardless of the code the 'Pal is set to, will bring up the system info screen and show what code it is set to. A back-door way to reset the code, but can cause accidental reset leaving the user scratching his/her head.

I may be out of luck, then as this morning I pressed sys info several times and nothing come up on the screen nor did the green light flicker as the buttons were pressed.
post #18771 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
I may be out of luck, then as this morning I pressed sys info several times and nothing come up on the screen nor did the green light flicker as the buttons were pressed.
Batteries?
post #18772 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Batteries?
Or battery contacts? Do the remote MODE lights work OK? ( TV, AUX etc.)
post #18773 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Or battery contacts? Do the remote MODE lights work OK? ( TV, AUX etc.)
And is it in "pal" mode rather than TV, VCR, or AUX?

post #18774 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM

The batteries and whatnot are all fine. I read somewhere else that if you press SysInfo and then the Record button many times that is supposed to work, so I did and the green light on the unit did flash at several points. Nothing came up on the screen though, and after I had done that a few times I couldn't get it to work anymore.

Is pressing SysInfo and then Record changing the remote code on the remote?

So far doing that is the only thing that gets a response from my PAL DVR, and as I said now it wont do that anymore.

Any ideas?
post #18775 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I was noticing that my Dish remote set to code 8 will blink the power light on my DTVPal that's set to code 1, so the power light on your Pal ought to blink even if the remote code is set wrong.

You can use a digital camera to look at the IR LED output of the remote to make sure it's putting out. Will show a flicker on the camera's viewfinder screen.
post #18776 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice. I finally figured out the problem and it had very little to do with the DTVPAL DVR itself.

I have an IR blaster that I set in front of it for controlling it in other rooms and sometime overnight it picked up and continued to transmit a ghost signal which apparently blocked/overshadowed all other IR signals to the unit. Never seen it do that before.

I discovered this as I was taking the DVR out of my entertainment center and noticed that while it was out of the cabinet (no IR blaster in front) it actually worked but when I stuck it back in and got it all set up again it stopped. I confirmed it by looking at it with my digital camera viewfinder. I was able to adjust the IR blaster and get rid of the ghost signal, after which it all worked again.

Whew! I was so close to considering it to be a brick. Given the alternatives, that could have been a costly mistake.
post #18777 of 18777 Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 277
On the same topic, one problem I've sometimes seen with remote extenders (particularly the NextGen) is if you try to use a remote with the RF transmitter in the same room as the device. You get a kind of multipath, where the IR receiver picks up both the IR signal coming straight from the remote and the IR signal being blasted by the extender. Result is that the remote doesn't seem to work. If that happens try covering the remote's IR output so only the IR from the extender reaches your Pal (or whatever device).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders