The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 628 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 195Likes
post #18811 of 18817 Unread Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
check the thread , search by keyword MHDD or Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18812 of 18817 Unread Today, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
Replacement drive arrived today. Hope to switch it out in a day or two. It's just a drop-in replacement, right?

But now I'm wondering if it's the HDD. Earlier tonight I had another recording lock-up. After a soft reboot I went in and checked the error messages and there were zero errors on the HDD data. So now I'm confused . . .

Look for a bad capacitor. The 2200 uF/10V that failed in my 'Pal would give random lockups. Notice the bulged out top on the capacitor in this picture:

golinux likes this.
post #18813 of 18817 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
check the thread , search by keyword MHDD or Victoria
Both those apps are Windoze programs. How can I do this on a Linux environment? IF i can do it. Back has been out for nearly 3 months. My computer time is very limited because I can't sit for long.

So I doubt this is something I will be able to do myself. Heck, I probably couldn't accomplish it if I were functional! Is there ANYONE in the Austin metro area that could replace the HDD and capacitors for me? Perhaps someone will take pity on this little old lady (just turned 73 btw) . . .
post #18814 of 18817 Unread Today, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Actually I think MHDD is a standalone DOS program, not Windows. You can download a .ISO file, burn it to CD/DVD/BD and boot from it. Only drawback is you have to attach the HDD directly to a SATA port in your PC; a USB dock won't do
golinux likes this.
post #18815 of 18817 Unread Today, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Actually I think MHDD is a standalone DOS program, not Windows. You can download a .ISO file, burn it to CD/DVD/BD and boot from it. Only drawback is you have to attach the HDD directly to a SATA port in your PC; a USB dock won't do
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the local computer guys could help with the hook-up. But what exactly needs to be done to make it compatible with the PalDVR? There are several pages of results for MHDD and it will be days before my back will let me get through the list . . .

Maybe I should try reformatting the drive first?
post #18816 of 18817 Unread Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Actually the new drive should work in your Pal right out of the box. The Pal will format it with its own file system.

MHDD is more for checking out your current drive, to see if it's getting errors that don't show up in the Pal's logs.

If you decide to repurpose your current drive after replacing it, I think Linux will access it just fine: just reformat it. But if you want to repurpose it for a Windows box, you'll have to hook it up to Linux first and set a configuration option with hdparm.
golinux likes this.
post #18817 of 18817 Unread Today, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks HBrandt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Actually the new drive should work in your Pal right out of the box. The Pal will format it with its own file system.
YEA! I 'm not that great with hardware but think can switch out a HDD.

Quote:
MHDD is more for checking out your current drive, to see if it's getting errors that don't show up in the Pal's logs.
Then I won't worry about that ATM.

Quote:
If you decide to repurpose your current drive after replacing it, I think Linux will access it just fine: just reformat it. But if you want to repurpose it for a Windows box, you'll have to hook it up to Linux first and set a configuration option with hdparm.
There be no Winders here. A 250gb drive is almost not worth messing with but will keep as a backup spare . . .

What do you think about trying a reformat first? If there are bad caps . . . that's another story . . .

Last edited by golinux; Today at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders