The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 629 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 200Likes
post #18841 of 18858 Unread 08-18-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
In the thread it was noticed before, as did recommend rename the file. To your tranquility, flash update routine will check integrity of the file. You cannot ruin your dvr by damaged file, but could if you'll cut power during the process.
Good to know that there is a failsafe integrity check. I'll give the old USB drive a try then. Understood about the power - sometimes it will wink out here for no reason. That's why all my electronics are on a UPC.

May the FORK be with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18842 of 18858 Unread 08-18-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
That link downloads a file named phpQYEZB5 not TR50_F208_0HUC00.upd . . . makes me nervous . . .
My download directory contains a file named Dish_EchoStar_TR50_F208_0HUC00.upd dated 2010/04/22. I've never used it because I've never actually used a DTVPal, but I assume I downloaded it back then just in case. I just now downloaded the zippyshare phpQYEZB5 file, and it matches the older file (using WinDiff). MD5deep calculates an MD5 checksum of c091add2fa5fa513cc22f089aba761d4 (for future confidence that no tampering has occurred).
post #18843 of 18858 Unread 08-18-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Good to know that there is a failsafe integrity check. I'll give the old USB drive a try then. Understood about the power - sometimes it will wink out here for no reason. That's why all my electronics are on a UPC.
I would prefer be with the FORCE and UPS [device] instead of UPC [code]
post #18844 of 18858 Unread 08-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would prefer be with the FORCE and UPS [device] instead of UPC [code]
Ha, yes I just saw that and corrected even before reading your post.

post #18845 of 18858 Unread 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
My download directory contains a file named Dish_EchoStar_TR50_F208_0HUC00.upd dated 2010/04/22. I've never used it because I've never actually used a DTVPal, but I assume I downloaded it back then just in case. I just now downloaded the zippyshare phpQYEZB5 file, and it matches the older file (using WinDiff). MD5deep calculates an MD5 checksum of c091add2fa5fa513cc22f089aba761d4 (for future confidence that no tampering has occurred).
I downloaded to my Desktop. I am not able to get into that file on Linux. Tried renaming. Nada. Tried extracting. No suitable application. May be a Windows thing. No Windows here . . . But nice to have the MD5sum. I'll run it on my original when I get back on that computer.

post #18846 of 18858 Unread 08-19-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 178
you can't extract by any available program; the flash image packed, encrypted and signed by proprietary algos; just verifying by MD5 hash value is enough to start using it after renaming to required name
post #18847 of 18858 Unread 08-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The very first DTVPal that I got in 2008 has been boxed up since 2009 when I got DTVPal #2 . It still has the F201 firmware on it. Since I seem to be in DTVPal mode, I thought this might be a good time to upgrade to F208. I still have the file on the original USB stick used to upgrade Pal #2 and also on my computer. What are the chances of the file being corrupted? Should I re-copy to the USB? I haven't used the stick for anything else in all these years and I know that it worked last time. I checked the link in the first thread to get a fresh copy but it doesn't look quite kosher to me.

I'll be taking Pal #3 that was locking up (and running 24/7 since 2010) in for repairs on Thursday. I'll be there hovering so I can get a good look at the inside and also maybe learn the secret to opening the case easily.
If the file worked before it should be OK. The pal will look for a folder called "update" and then the firmware file and install it. If it is not there it won't do anything.
If the DTVPal DVR isn't connected via ethernet, you can download the firmware and copy it to a USB thumbdrive to update your DTVPal DVR. Download the F208 firmware on this page. Create a folder called "update" on your USB thumbdrive and copy the TR50_F208_0HUC00.upd file into that folder. Turn on your DTVPal DVR and insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port on the back of the box.

If you have any problems upon reboot after the firmware update, you should perform a "soft reset. You can perform a "soft reset" by holding down the remote 'Power ON' button until the reset starts.

post #18848 of 18858 Unread 08-19-2015, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Download the F208 firmware on this page.
"404 This page is lost in the Outback."

post #18849 of 18858 Unread 08-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Yea! The md5sum of the old file on the usb drive checked out!!

post #18850 of 18858 Unread 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Look for a bad capacitor. The 2200 uF/10V that failed in my 'Pal would give random lockups. Notice the bulged out top on the capacitor in this picture:

Bingo! The 2200 uF/10V was indeed the culprit - I saved the sucker as a memento! Top was bulging as in the image. Anyhoo, Tested before switching out the HDD. When it worked, then we put in the new 1tb drive. Haven't hooked it up at home yet to try recording. Probably will do that tomorrow. After 5 years of 24/7 the inside was encrusted with dust. Tabs have been snapped off so I should be able to do proper maintenance in the future. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

post #18851 of 18858 Unread 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I was watching a recorded show (not on the machine that was just worked on) and when I changed the aspect ratio, the monitor went green everywhere - recordings and TV. After a soft reboot, all was well. I searched and only saw one mention of this happening to an HDMI connection. I am using composite connection to an old CRT. Weird. About ready to update the firmware on the other PAL.

post #18852 of 18858 Unread 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

YEA! Upgraded successfully to F208 (from F201). Was very thankful that the machine booted properly so I could do it.

post #18853 of 18858 Unread 08-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered a new channel master remote for my dtv pal, would someone post the steps to program it?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #18854 of 18858 Unread 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
I ordered a new channel master remote for my dtv pal, would someone post the steps to program it?
A 3-page instruction guide comes with the new CM backlit remote. And the new remote was designed and pre-programmed for the CM DVR+, not the DTVPalDVR.

Not saying it couldn't be programmed to the older DVR, but good luck.

post #18855 of 18858 Unread 08-22-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
As WiscoJim noted, I hope you didn't buy the new DVR+ remote for your Pal! It's not a universal remote and only the On/Off/Input/Volume/Mute keys can be reprogrammed for another device.

But if you meant to say you bought a new Dish remote for your Pal, you'll be glad to know it comes pre-programmed. The top left device button says "Sat" instead of "Pal," but it does the same thing. And programming the other devices is the same as programming your old Pal remote.

The only problem you might have is if you changed the remote code on your Pal. Let us know if you need help with that.
post #18856 of 18858 Unread 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the one that I bought is "supposed" to be the exact remote for the dtv pal dvr, but made by channel master........even has the same names of the keys, that is why I need the steps to program it........to see if it works as it was advertised

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #18857 of 18858 Unread Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Well, the remotes for the DTVPal and Channel Master CM-7000Pal are identical (except for color; Dish's is silver and CM's is black). Channel Master just took Dish's remote and rebranded it. So if you got that one, there is no programming required for the Pal, unless you changed your Pal's remote ID from the default (which is 01).

If you have changed your Pal's remote ID, this is from memory but I think this is what you do:
  1. When you get your new remote and put in batteries, turn on your TV, then press the Pal button on your remote, point it at the Pal, and press "Sys Info." Your Pal will turn on and show the System Info screen. The Pal's remote ID will be near the bottom of the screen.
  2. Now press and hold the Pal button on the remote until all the device buttons flash. Then enter your Pal's 2-digit remote ID, followed by the "#" sign. That's it! Your remote is now programmed to the same ID as your Pal.

BTW, if you want to change your Pal's remote ID, then in step 2 above, enter the 2-digit remote ID between 01 and 16 that you want to use. Then, after pressing #, press the "Rec"ord button. This will set your Pal to the ID you just programmed into your remote.

Note: This isn't in the DTVPal manual, but you can use a similar procedure to program the Aux device on these remotes to operate your Pal. This is a nice option to have if you own two Pals, or a Pal and another Dish device.

The only difference is, in step 2, press and hold the Aux button instead of the Pal button; then enter the digit "3" followed by your Pal's 2-digit remote ID and the "#" sign.
post #18858 of 18858 Unread Today, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
For what it's worth the remote that comes with the DTVPal is model number 5.3 IR. Instructions are in the users manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders