The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 636 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 215Likes
post #19051 of 19073 Old 02-01-2016, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Relevant solution would be add 6.2k resistor to create a bias current to slow silent constant rotation of the fun regardless of internal temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19052 of 19073 Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jine4 View Post
Hi people, fellow dtvpal victim here.

So mine are failing with freezes and need capacitor replacement. Thanks all for the info on that!

My question is this: Should I remove the top of the "can" covering a bunch of chips? It should improve their cooling. Did anyone try it and notice any adverse effects? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find relevant posts.
If you have not done so already take the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and access it externally! The DVR will stay a lot cooler with the hard drive heat removed and the hard drive not being powered by the DVR!
post #19053 of 19073 Unread 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
If you have not done so already take the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure and access it externally! The DVR will stay a lot cooler with the hard drive heat removed and the hard drive not being powered by the DVR!
seems like too much hassle having drives sitting outside the box. I drilled out most indentations in top half of case to improve cooling.
post #19054 of 19073 Unread 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 493
If you prefer to keep your HDD inside the box, you can still save a lot of heat by replacing it with a 2.5" HDD and a 3.5" mounting bracket. Just make sure the bracket lets the cables reach; some mount the HDD too far "forward."
post #19055 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Many of us DTVPAL owners have removed the hard drive and did an external mount with an enclosure. I would rather do that than keep it inside and drill more holes in a case that has plenty of holes for ventilation already. Drilling more holes may actually ruin the proper airflow inside the case to keep the right components cool! Sure a 2.5 inch drive may be cooler but not all drives work in the DTVPAL and the drive has to be durable enough to not ever spin down and run 7x24.
Chuck44 likes this.
post #19056 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
If you prefer to keep your HDD inside the box, you can still save a lot of heat by replacing it with a 2.5" HDD and a 3.5" mounting bracket. Just make sure the bracket lets the cables reach; some mount the HDD too far "forward."
I don’t know that we ever validated any 2.5 inch drives to work with the DTVPAL. Has anyone posted this info?
post #19057 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Sure a 2.5 inch drive may be cooler but not all drives work in the DTVPAL and the drive has to be durable enough to not ever spin down and run 7x24.
WD makes 2.5" AV drives for 24x7 operation up to 1TB.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...px?id=170#Tab3

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #19058 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM

I might do that after original drives die. I drilled out most indentations on top of the box and feel no heat above the drive. All heat is above power supply.

For those of you who need to fix up to 4 DVRs and have Amazon Prime I found this may be the cheapest option: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-CAPACI...dp/B008RYWHY8/
It was ~$7.5 shipped by amazon a couple of days ago.

I used the 1000uF caps instead of 820uF. I got Nichiton VZ series caps in my kit. It also had a little solder and solder wick.
post #19059 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know that we ever validated any 2.5 inch drives to work with the DTVPAL. Has anyone posted this info?
Yep:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
When I upgraded I used the 2.5 inch drive P Smith had evaluated:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145584
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HTS541010A9E680

and the following bracket:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH3Z8E/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it was basically plug and play. The hardest part was breaking into the DTVPal. I have been using the upgraded DTVPal for about three weeks now have not had any problems. I have had a least one instance where I was recording two programs and playing back a third.

If you choose a different bracket make sure you get one where the drive mounts to the rear of the 3.5" foot print so that the connectors are in the same place. If you don't you may have to add about an inch to the length of the power supply cable - four wires. Mounting kits like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990022

don't work because that are not long enough. They are only the length of a 2.5" drive.
post #19060 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Does anyone have a fix for stuttering/skipping when playing back a recording from a low-def subchannel? Seems to happen every few minutes for me. Hi-def recordings have no such problem.
post #19061 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither one of the HGST drives are AV rated drives. They are laptop drives.
The Western Digital drive mentioned by kelson is.

So there is little choice.
post #19062 of 19073 Unread 02-04-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Neither one of the HGST drives are AV rated drives. They are laptop drives.
The Western Digital drive mentioned by @kelson; is.

So there is little choice.
Pete-N2 posted this just last month:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lind777 View Post
I searched the thread but could not find an answer. Has anyone been successful using a small form factor (SFF) hard drive (2.5") in the DTVPAL? If so, does anyone have a model that has worked well? I have a LFF to SFF bracket and thought the SFF drives would generate less heat and noise. Thanks.
Yes I've been using one since June, 2013.

See posts around: The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!.
For more reliability, I'd probably go with a WD AV-GP; but Pete's HGST has been running more or less continuously for 2 1/2 years, so it's also a reasonable choice.

Of course, YMMV. Besides reducing heat, one advantage of an external drive (regardless of physical size) is that you can pull it easily to check its SMART statistics on a PC every so often. Hopefully you can catch a failing HDD that way before it's too late.

But for ultimate reliability, go with two HDDs in an external RAID-1 (mirroring) enclosure That way if an HDD fails, you just unplug the Pal, replace the bad HDD, and wait for the enclosure to clone the data from the good HDD before plugging the Pal back in.
LenL likes this.
post #19063 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
but Pete's HGST has been running more or less continuously for 2 1/2 years, so it's also a reasonable choice.
Correct. Spinning 24x7, playing and/or recording 3-4 hours a day. I'll post here if it ever dies.

When the first DTVPal dies, I plan to move this disk over to the DVTPal I have in storage. Hopefully by the time that unit dies you guys will have worked the bugs out of the DVR+.
post #19064 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Correct. Spinning 24x7, playing and/or recording 3-4 hours a day. I'll post here if it ever dies.

When the first DTVPal dies, I plan to move this disk over to the DVTPal I have in storage. Hopefully by the time that unit dies you guys will have worked the bugs out of the DVR+.
I also have several backup DTVPals. But my spares may outlast OTA broadcasting! Are you aware of the upcoming spectrum auction that will be selling off even more of the public airwaves to for-profit corporations to service mobile devices? Disgusting . . .

On another topic . . . in the past few weeks, I have been bit several times by the the SAP/DVS bug on recordings with no way to turn off the voiceover.
JHBrandt likes this.

May the FORK be with you!

Last edited by golinux; 02-05-2016 at 08:50 AM.
post #19065 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post sometimes SMART of the drive ...
post #19066 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
I also have several backup DTVPals. But my spares may outlast OTA broadcasting! Are you aware of the upcoming spectrum auction that will be selling off even more of the public airwaves to for-profit corporations to service mobile devices?
I will speculate: They will likely repack everything currently above Ch 30 down into the lower UHF and VHF bands. Might have interference and co-channel problems if they do too much re-packing. Our DVRs will go obsolete when they change the TV broadcast standard again (ATSC 3.0) someday.
post #19067 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 167
post #19068 of 19073 Unread 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Our DVRs will go obsolete when they change the TV broadcast standard again (ATSC 3.0) someday.
Not just ours: every existing tuner will become obsolete. It'll basically be a rerun of the analog-to-digital transition, only with far less spectrum available. (Last time there was plenty of room to give every station a digital companion during the switch; I can't see that being the case after the FCC has hacked away another 16 or 17 TV channels.)

Edit: It's too bad they can't switch to ATSC 3.0 first, while there are still 49 channels. Many of the larger markets have numerous "sister" stations both owned by the same parent company. In those cases, one of the "sisters" could become the ATSC 1.0 station while the other became the ATSC 3.0 station. Once the transition was complete, the ATSC 1.0 stations could be sold back to free up the necessary spectrum. Much less painful, but apparently we won't be allowed to wait and will have to do it the hard way instead

VHF-Lo antennas are likely to come back into vogue, as there probably won't be enough spectrum left in major markets for stations to avoid it anymore. Folks who traded their rabbit ears for one of those "leaf" antennas are really going to be

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-05-2016 at 06:03 PM.
post #19069 of 19073 Unread Yesterday, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Post sometimes SMART of the drive ...
Sorry, that's way above my pay grade!

I'll look into it next time I do a PM (2-3 years)
post #19070 of 19073 Unread Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
On another topic . . . in the past few weeks, I have been bit several times by the the SAP/DVS bug on recordings with no way to turn off the voiceover.
I have had that problem several times in the last two months on the local CBS channel. But I my case the second channel is Spanish which at this time is blank, so I get no sound.

I have always managed to get back to English using the work around posted here about a year ago. On a normal recording I can toggle between English and Spanish. On a defective recording the toggle does not work.
post #19071 of 19073 Unread Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
VHF-Lo antennas are likely to come back into vogue, as there probably won't be enough spectrum left in major markets for stations to avoid it anymore. Folks who traded their rabbit ears for one of those "leaf" antennas are really going to be
My PBS channel is on RF 3 and I can tell you low VHF doesn't work very well. (Do you have thunderstorms in Texas?)

My workaround is to record PBS programs on the rebroadcast that occurs between 1 and 5 AM in the morning when interference is at a minimum. That way I can get by with 1-3 decode errors per hour. If was stormy the morning of the recording, I hit delete and try again later.
post #19072 of 19073 Unread Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi all,

I have a DVR that I think is in need of capacitor replacement. I'm getting audio drop-outs, but lately the freezes have become more frequent/severe.

I have a friend who's very handy and has offered to fix it. Is there a single post in this thread that outlines what to do, what to look for, what to replace? I'm sure I've seen it, but wanted to ask the experts here so I get the most up-to-date info.

Thanks,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #19073 of 19073 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, we did post photos, how-tos, tips ... everything in the thread - take it, free of charge.

Be our guest, don't hesitate search and read the knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders