The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #19081 of 19155 Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
I would say so. It's been a year since I replaced C34 and C242 and haven't had a problem since. Be sure to select high quality 105°C low ESR low impedance capacitors.
Sweet...thanks...is there a particular online store that you used? I'm having a friend repair this for me, so if I could order the same parts you did, that would be ideal...then I know it'll work out!

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune HD Solo 4K / Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 19155 Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Well, started my SW eng carrier from 1980, been in HW R&D of smartphones/eBooks from 2000, also a lot of time spent to IT fields ... online stores ? digi-key, mouser, etc ... other capacitor to replace ? use ESR meter, no need to remove from PCB. BTW, I'm re-posting the info, it been posted here before, I hope you'll take your time to be familiar with all the aspects...

Last edited by P Smith; 02-09-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typo; perhaps we will see ESM what will measure ESR with capacitance value
post #19083 of 19155 Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Sweet...thanks...is there a particular online store that you used? I'm having a friend repair this for me, so if I could order the same parts you did, that would be ideal...then I know it'll work out!
Try here: The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! for one option.
fatherom likes this.
post #19084 of 19155 Old 02-09-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
... other capacitor to replace ? use ESM meter...
I think that would be ESR meter. In case you look for one....
fatherom likes this.
post #19085 of 19155 Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Bought from a seller on ebay. Normally I would buy from Mouser but small orders and shipping make that not such a good deal. Check your PM.
fatherom likes this.
post #19086 of 19155 Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
October 1st is exactly one month before the DST change -- so check you recording schedule carefully tomorrow morning. That being said, I checked diagnostics this morning and the data for ION was correct. I don't expect most of us to have a problem. However, for those of you with 99 channels (and nothing to watch) anything is possible! (Diagnostics shows you about 18 channels)
Reminder: February 13th is one month before DST begins. As of this morning the data for ION and all my locals are correct.

Last edited by Pete-N2; 02-13-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: grammar
post #19087 of 19155 Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 567
I set two reminders on my phone:

Tonight: Set both Pals to ignore DST
Sunday: Set both Pals to honor DST again

That should get me through Saturday safely.
post #19088 of 19155 Old 02-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I set two reminders on my phone:

Tonight: Set both Pals to ignore DST
Sunday: Set both Pals to honor DST again

That should get me through Saturday safely.
When I change mine to NO on Time Zone for DST, click DONE then go back, it has changed to YES????

Is there another place to change this?

Chris C
post #19089 of 19155 Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine does the same thing It seemed like such a good plan

The best I can suggest is to set it to "No," press "Done," and hope that, despite what it shows if you go back to that screen, it actually accepted our setting.

It could be that the screen just defaults to "Yes" regardless of the current setting, because so few places (basically just AZ & HI) require "No."

But I'll definitely check Saturday to see if the times are off by an hour. If they are, at least I'll know that DST, once set to "Yes," cannot be changed to "No" (at least without going through the whole setup wizard again, which is just shy of a factory reset).
ccrider2 likes this.
post #19090 of 19155 Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Mine does the same thing It seemed like such a good plan

The best I can suggest is to set it to "No," press "Done," and hope that, despite what it shows if you go back to that screen, it actually accepted our setting.

It could be that the screen just defaults to "Yes" regardless of the current setting, because so few places (basically just AZ & HI) require "No."

But I'll definitely check Saturday to see if the times are off by an hour. If they are, at least I'll know that DST, once set to "Yes," cannot be changed to "No" (at least without going through the whole setup wizard again, which is just shy of a factory reset).
Mine also reverted to yes. I was so hopeful that would work . . .

May the FORK be with you!
post #19091 of 19155 Old 02-13-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Reminder: February 13th is one month before DST begins. As of this morning the data for ION and all my locals are correct.
However, today the the DTVPal is screwed up. On the dumb TV all stations are off by an hour except the three that replaced their guide builders last year. On DTVPal diagnostics the NEXT value is not set for any station (year is still 2068). The SAVE value is 0 for some stations and 3600 for others. (SAVE could be short for savings, 3600 could be 3600 seconds, 1 hour)

Last edited by Pete-N2; 02-13-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: grammar
post #19092 of 19155 Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The DFW stations did worse than they did last fall:
http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/...ata/index.html

While a few didn't jump the gun, most did. Worse is that my last attempt to complain to the FCC resulted in their claiming that it wasn't their responsibility. A followup complaint to Senator ornyn resulted in him (or someone in his office) directing me to the state Attorney General. I know that the EPA delegates some of its authority to the states but this is the first time I had even a hint that the FCC had done so. I certainly can't find anything official on it.
post #19093 of 19155 Old 02-13-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it was a hot mess this year. Both my Pals are running an hour ahead today, including the one I tried to disable DST on.

BTW, I believe that's a brand-new bug. All the time I've been following this thread, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention that the setup menu option to enable or disable DST doesn't let you disable it.

I'm curious if the problem exists in reverse: if you select DST=No during setup, does it let you enable it later or is that broken too? But I'm not curious enough to run the setup wizard just to find out.

Edit: It occurred to me that even if we could have disabled DST last Saturday, it wouldn't have helped! The tricky thing about DST is that TV networks observe it, even if you don't! So when DST comes around you have to make an adjustment either way:

• If you don't observe DST, all your timers need to be adjusted by an hour; otherwise you'll start recording the wrong shows
  • If you do observe DST, the timers can stay the same, but the adjustment from GMT to local time needs to change by an hour

So had we succeeded in disabling DST, I think we would've seen all our timers jump backward an hour on 2/13, then back to normal on 2/14, and we still would've recorded the wrong shows on 2/13. (And that's assuming the adjustments worked correctly and weren't hit by the DST bug!)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-17-2016 at 02:17 PM.
post #19094 of 19155 Old 02-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Liked: 12
I just checked both my Pal DVRs and my DVR+ and all clocks are accurate.
post #19095 of 19155 Old 02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine too. These foul-ups are just one-day events twice a year (one month before the actual DST changes).
post #19096 of 19155 Old 02-18-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed afterward both of my 'Pals clocks are not locked on time, drifting fast. I'll leave alone for now to see if they eventually recalculate the correct time.
post #19097 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I have a pristine DTVPal available that is not being used.

Caps good, clean & complete w/ original box. PM if interested.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #19098 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

One of my 'Pals did lock on to the time, the one that's Off in standby about 22 hours a day. The other one which is On about 15 hours a day is now over 1 min fast! Maybe they need their sleep to catch up on time synchronization.

Also after the 1-day time glitch I thought both had passed without a problem. Then Thurs night I wanted to record the entire Tonight Show on Ch 5 which was in progress. I pressed the record button and a screen popped up to end the recording. But it wasn't recording. And no option to record the entire event. Then a few sec later I noticed the red Record light was on. Brought up the Guide, and every 1 hour time block for KXAS 5.1 was set to record as far out as it goes! Was finally able to end the recording. After that I tried the record mode again, had the option to record the entire event which I did, recorded 1 hour, and all OK best as I can tell.
post #19099 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 11:36 AM

Liked: 15
I had time trouble a while back that was the result of tropo. The DTVPal apparantly never drops a station from its time calculation just because it hasn't received a signal from it for days. Or weeks.

The drift of the internal clock, at least for my unit, is on the order of 10 seconds/day. If yours is drifting at that rate then it has probably dropped PSIP data and is running only from its internal clock.

If the problem is one of these zombie stations, then the clock for that station is drifting at the 10s/day rate but this gets attenuated by the averaging with the other stations so you will see a much slower drift rate.

You can wait, probably a very long time, for that station(s) to drift beyond whatever limit the DTVPal imposes. I gave up and performed a factory reset as nothing less did anything at all.
post #19100 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then Thurs night I wanted to record the entire Tonight Show on Ch 5 which was in progress. I pressed the record button and a screen popped up to end the recording. But it wasn't recording. And no option to record the entire event. Then a few sec later I noticed the red Record light was on. Brought up the Guide, and every 1 hour time block for KXAS 5.1 was set to record as far out as it goes! Was finally able to end the recording. After that I tried the record mode again, had the option to record the entire event which I did, recorded 1 hour, and all OK best as I can tell.
It sounds like the option you got was "stop recording manually" instead of "record the entire event". That showed continuous recording on the grid and took about 30 seconds to set up before the red led came on.
post #19101 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
I had time trouble a while back that was the result of tropo. The DTVPal apparantly never drops a station from its time calculation just because it hasn't received a signal from it for days. Or weeks.

The drift of the internal clock, at least for my unit, is on the order of 10 seconds/day. If yours is drifting at that rate then it has probably dropped PSIP data and is running only from its internal clock.

If the problem is one of these zombie stations, then the clock for that station is drifting at the 10s/day rate but this gets attenuated by the averaging with the other stations so you will see a much slower drift rate.

You can wait, probably a very long time, for that station(s) to drift beyond whatever limit the DTVPal imposes. I gave up and performed a factory reset as nothing less did anything at all.
And don't forget about the two warm boots. IIRC you can go into setup and select search for stations and leave all the other settings unchanged. In either case you will loose your timers and have to hide your 89 unwanted channels and do two warm boots.

In early December my Pal picked up two stations from Richmond just long enough to populate the grid and register the time. They haven't been seen since. On the diagnostics screen these two stations are gaining about 9 seconds a day. Even after several warm boots they continued to be used for time calculations. Then suddenly in mid-February they were both dropped during the same 12 period. Clock error went from 68 seconds to 0. (All my locals except PBS are transmitting the correct time within 1 second.). It was approximately two months before the stations were dropped, error on the diagnostics screen was in the 400 second range.

Last edited by Pete-N2; 02-20-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #19102 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One of my 'Pals did lock on to the time, the one that's Off in standby about 22 hours a day. The other one which is On about 15 hours a day is now over 1 min fast! Maybe they need their sleep to catch up on time synchronization.
More time to find those outliers... Again...
post #19103 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IIRC you can go into setup and select search for stations and leave all the other settings unchanged. In either case you will lose your timers and have to hide your 89 unwanted channels and do two warm boots.
I had to hunt for this the last time I needed to do it. It's menu options 3 (setup), 2 (system setup), 1 (installation), and 1 again (setup wizard). It's just shy of a factory defaults reset. It won't lose your preferences or parental control password, but it zaps the channel table and scans in your channels again. All 89 of them, whether you want them or not.

While I often wail about features my Pals have that my DVR+ lacks, one nice feature the DVR+ did add was the ability to erase and rescan your channels without losing your timers. Since a firmware update removed the DVR+'s ability to delete channels, a complete rescan is the only other way to permanently get rid of something that no longer exists, so I do appreciate not having to reenter all my timers.
post #19104 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I've noticed the 'Pal I use for about 2 hours a day, hooked to my 21 year old Sony CRT TV via composite video, the color will fade out and back sometimes. So I get to take it apart and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Checked the TV with another video source and it's OK, so the problem seems to be in the 'Pal.

I recall someone else posted about a problem like this a while back.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 02-20-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #19105 of 19155 Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I vaguely remember that. Was the solution a factory defaults reset? I can't remember.

I do seem to remember suggesting an HDMI-to-composite converter if the OP couldn't find a solution. I use one to hook my wife's Pal to her TV via S-video.
post #19106 of 19155 Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, while pondering the composite video color issue with Pal #2 , I noticed last night Pal #1 is flaking out. Has 2 symptoms: 1, while watching, an audio blip or hiccup happens about every 3 seconds, and 2 the video (thru HDMI) has a disturance with the bottom maybe 5% of the picture kinda moving up and down or pulsating about 3 or 4 times a second, most noticeable on dark scenes.

Time to put the spare backup Pal in service, get out and the ESR meter to see if any more capacitors are failing.
post #19107 of 19155 Old 02-21-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Did you try to reboot it?
post #19108 of 19155 Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Did you try to reboot it?
Not a factory reset type reboot. Did try the double soft reboot, mainly to try and get the clock back on time after the DST event.

It's all apart now, and parts on order. Stay tuned.

Also the chroma problem with Pal #2 , likely a bad cap. Have it with top off, and while on with b&w pic dripped a little mist on one cap on rear of board next to the jack panel, a 100 uF/10V, and color instantly returned.
post #19109 of 19155 Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So here's an admittedly weird question:

Does anyone have a good way to control the Pal remotely?

My friend recently fixed the bulging capacitors (thanks to everyone here for the assistance with that) and before I upgrade the hard drive and put the unit back into service in our living room, I want to transfer the recordings from the old hard drive. I bought an Elgato capture box and it seems to capture HDMI video from the Pal just fine.

But I'd like to be able to access my PC from work, start playback on the Pal, and then kick off recording on the Elgato, all remotely.

I have a USB UIRT IR blaster running with Girder, and use it to control my air conditioner remotely. But when I "learn" the Pal remote's buttons, it seems to learn fine, but when I try to have the blaster send IR signals to the Pal, it doesn't receive them (I spent a fair amount of time playing with frequencies of the IR signal, and various other settings in girder and the usb uirt driver).

If someone has some specifics on using USB UIRT specifically, that would be cool...although, I'm up for any ideas...any clever ideas for a way for me to manually control the Pal without being in the same room as it?

Thanks,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune HD Solo 4K / Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #19110 of 19155 Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
QUOTE=fatherom;41791169]...I have a USB UIRT IR blaster running with Girder, and use it to control my air conditioner remotely. But when I "learn" the Pal remote's buttons, it seems to learn fine, but when I try to have the blaster send IR signals to the Pal, it doesn't receive them...[/QUOTE]

Could it be that the USB UIRT IR blaster (34-40KHz range) can't broadcast out the same freq that your Dtvpal expects? It appears there is an optional 56KHz addon to increase the freq range.... P. Smith may know the DtvPal freq...

Haven't used a UIRT IR in years, mine was an RS-232 one .

Last edited by csmith; 02-22-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page