The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #19081 of 19093 Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
I would say so. It's been a year since I replaced C34 and C242 and haven't had a problem since. Be sure to select high quality 105°C low ESR low impedance capacitors.
Sweet...thanks...is there a particular online store that you used? I'm having a friend repair this for me, so if I could order the same parts you did, that would be ideal...then I know it'll work out!

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 19093 Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Well, started my SW eng carrier from 1980, been in HW R&D of smartphones/eBooks from 2000, also a lot of time spent to IT fields ... online stores ? digi-key, mouser, etc ... other capacitor to replace ? use ESR meter, no need to remove from PCB. BTW, I'm re-posting the info, it been posted here before, I hope you'll take your time to be familiar with all the aspects...

Last edited by P Smith; 02-09-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo; perhaps we will see ESM what will measure ESR with capacitance value
post #19083 of 19093 Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Sweet...thanks...is there a particular online store that you used? I'm having a friend repair this for me, so if I could order the same parts you did, that would be ideal...then I know it'll work out!
Try here: The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! for one option.
fatherom likes this.
post #19084 of 19093 Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
... other capacitor to replace ? use ESM meter...
I think that would be ESR meter. In case you look for one....
fatherom likes this.
post #19085 of 19093 Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Bought from a seller on ebay. Normally I would buy from Mouser but small orders and shipping make that not such a good deal. Check your PM.
fatherom likes this.
post #19086 of 19093 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
October 1st is exactly one month before the DST change -- so check you recording schedule carefully tomorrow morning. That being said, I checked diagnostics this morning and the data for ION was correct. I don't expect most of us to have a problem. However, for those of you with 99 channels (and nothing to watch) anything is possible! (Diagnostics shows you about 18 channels)
Reminder: February 13th is one month before DST begins. As of this morning the data for ION and all my locals are correct.

Last edited by Pete-N2; Today at 07:34 AM. Reason: grammar
post #19087 of 19093 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I set two reminders on my phone:

Tonight: Set both Pals to ignore DST
Sunday: Set both Pals to honor DST again

That should get me through Saturday safely.
post #19088 of 19093 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I set two reminders on my phone:

Tonight: Set both Pals to ignore DST
Sunday: Set both Pals to honor DST again

That should get me through Saturday safely.
When I change mine to NO on Time Zone for DST, click DONE then go back, it has changed to YES????

Is there another place to change this?

Chris C
post #19089 of 19093 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine does the same thing It seemed like such a good plan

The best I can suggest is to set it to "No," press "Done," and hope that, despite what it shows if you go back to that screen, it actually accepted our setting.

It could be that the screen just defaults to "Yes" regardless of the current setting, because so few places (basically just AZ & HI) require "No."

But I'll definitely check Saturday to see if the times are off by an hour. If they are, at least I'll know that DST, once set to "Yes," cannot be changed to "No" (at least without going through the whole setup wizard again, which is just shy of a factory reset).
ccrider2 likes this.
post #19090 of 19093 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Mine does the same thing It seemed like such a good plan

The best I can suggest is to set it to "No," press "Done," and hope that, despite what it shows if you go back to that screen, it actually accepted our setting.

It could be that the screen just defaults to "Yes" regardless of the current setting, because so few places (basically just AZ & HI) require "No."

But I'll definitely check Saturday to see if the times are off by an hour. If they are, at least I'll know that DST, once set to "Yes," cannot be changed to "No" (at least without going through the whole setup wizard again, which is just shy of a factory reset).
Mine also reverted to yes. I was so hopeful that would work . . .

May the FORK be with you!
post #19091 of 19093 Old Today, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Reminder: February 13th is one month before DST begins. As of this morning the data for ION and all my locals are correct.
However, today the the DTVPal is screwed up. On the dumb TV all stations are off by an hour except the three that replaced their guide builders last year. On DTVPal diagnostics the NEXT value is not set for any station (year is still 2068). The SAVE value is 0 for some stations and 3600 for others. (SAVE could be short for savings, 3600 could be 3600 seconds, 1 hour)

Last edited by Pete-N2; Today at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammar
post #19092 of 19093 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The DFW stations did worse than they did last fall:
http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/...ata/index.html

While a few didn't jump the gun, most did. Worse is that my last attempt to complain to the FCC resulted in their claiming that it wasn't their responsibility. A followup complaint to Senator ornyn resulted in him (or someone in his office) directing me to the state Attorney General. I know that the EPA delegates some of its authority to the states but this is the first time I had even a hint that the FCC had done so. I certainly can't find anything official on it.
post #19093 of 19093 Old Today, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it was a hot mess this year. Both my Pals are running an hour ahead today, including the one I tried to disable DST on.

BTW, I believe that's a brand-new bug. All the time I've been following this thread, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention that the setup menu option to enable or disable DST doesn't let you disable it.

I'm curious if the problem exists in reverse: if you select DST=No during setup, does it let you enable it later or is that broken too? But I'm not curious enough to run the setup wizard just to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders