The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 646 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 251Likes

post #19351 of 19355 Old Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 768
In that case, P Smith is probably right. Sounds like the corrupt timers bug described in post 1. It probably happened when the DST bug struck and scrambled your timers. Usually disconnecting the antenna will get around it and let you do a factory reset, but not always.

There's a chance it will self-recover when the corrupt timers expire, but it's a slim one. If it's been over a week and still won't boot, you probably need to have the firmware re-flashed. I'm pretty sure P Smith can do that, but you'll have to send at least your main board to him. Actually, probably the whole Pal; I'm not sure he has one to install your main board in.

If the animation had been very jumpy, that would've indicated a failed or failing HDD. That animation is supposed to play while the firmware checks the HDD for filesystem errors, and if it has trouble reading a sector from the HDD, the animation will freeze until the read command times out. (It would've been a bad news/good news situation: your recordings would probably have been toast, but at least you could've fixed the Pal easily by just replacing the HDD.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19355 Old Today, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
In that case, P Smith is probably right. Sounds like the corrupt timers bug described in post 1. It probably happened when the DST bug struck and scrambled your timers. Usually disconnecting the antenna will get around it and let you do a factory reset, but not always.

There's a chance it will self-recover when the corrupt timers expire, but it's a slim one. If it's been over a week and still won't boot, you probably need to have the firmware re-flashed.

If the animation had been very jumpy, that would've indicated a failed or failing HDD. That animation is supposed to play while the firmware checks the HDD for filesystem errors, and if it has trouble reading a sector from the HDD, the animation will freeze until the read command times out. (It would've been a bad news/good news situation: your recordings would probably have been toast, but at least you could've fixed the Pal easily by just replacing the HDD.)
Thanks for your response.

How long should I wait to see if the timers expire? As of now, it's off and had the power board and main board separated since Friday night.

Would it start if the hard drive is removed? This is how I last tried it.
post #19353 of 19355 Old Today, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I'd wait 7 days from when the Pal first failed to boot. That time period may have passed already, but you mentioned it here on the 23rd, so if it's not working by the 30th, it's probably P Smith or nothing....

If the problem were the HDD, disconnecting the HDD should have allowed it to start. No DVR functions, of course, but you could have at least used it as a tuner.

post #19354 of 19355 Old Today, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I only noticed it a day before I posted. This DVR was used as an alternate to a CM DVR+ since the DTVPAL has a superior tuner to it. It could generally get better reception of channels which the CM DVR+ struggled with in bad conditions. It also served to record a third show at the same time as the DVR+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
PM me, I think we could arrange the repair this summer.
Thank you for the offer. I really appreciate it.
I hope to recover it, if only for sentimental reasons, but I will not invest in any serious money in it. I prefer to invest in a brand new unit instead for the long run. I have my eye on a Roamio.

Last edited by velix; Today at 08:35 PM.
post #19355 of 19355 Old Today, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I wouldn't consider the repair as spending "serious money", it would cost s/h one way around 10 EUR or , for cheaper option, a delay for July-Aug window if send the main PCB to/from CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page