post #151 of 159 Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I need to add the ability to view my Dish programing in my theater room. Really want to share the DVR recording with our main living room. If the 922 was in the main living room and we have a HTPC in the theater any way that could run the Sling software, is that a good option for getting TV to another room.

My main concern is picture quality, this will be projected on a 115" diagonal screen and I want as good a picture as if it were coming out of a normal Dish box. Also can one channel be watched on the reciever while another is watched on the Sling.

I would use the component outputs for the living room TV and run a long HDMi cable to your theater. I wouldn't stream it to the theater. I don't think streaming supports multichannel audio. I'm on a business trip and won't be home to try any experiments for a few weeks. Check Monoprice for in-wall rated HDMI cables at a decent price. I do something similar for my setup. As long as you don't want to watch two different channels in each room, it works great.

Dr V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum View Post

I would use the component outputs for the living room TV and run a long HDMi cable to your theater. I wouldn't stream it to the theater. I don't think streaming supports multichannel audio. I'm on a business trip and won't be home to try any experiments for a few weeks. Check Monoprice for in-wall rated HDMI cables at a decent price. I do something similar for my setup. As long as you don't want to watch two different channels in each room, it works great.

Dr V

I actually have done that now, already have a HDMI that goes to the theater. Just use a switch to go from one TV to the other. But yes we do want to watch different shows at the same time so it is not a good choice. Plus you can't control the box from the theater unless I run some sort of IR repeater. Looks like we are stuck getting another DVR for the theater. I don't mind doing that but I can't believe that Dish doesn't allow the DVR's to connect to each other and share recorded content over the local network. Just seem like a no brainer that it would be a good feature to have.

post #153 of 159 Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Plus you can't control the box from the theater unless I run some sort of IR repeater.

I'm pretty sure the UHF-pro series of remotes can control the TV1 output, so that is a non-issue.
Quote:

Looks like we are stuck getting another DVR for the theater. I don't mind doing that but I can't believe that Dish doesn't allow the DVR's to connect to each other and share recorded content over the local network. Just seem like a no brainer that it would be a good feature to have.

Yes, MRV would be an excellent upgrade for the VIP series of receivers, but I haven't heard of it since the Sling Media acquisition. What you are supposed to be doing with a 922 is adding one of these things: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/sling-receiver-300. The remote will control the TV2 (sometimes called TV3) Sling output of your 922, so you can independently view 922 programming on a 2nd HDTV.

There are 3 problems with this approach:

1) Sling Receiver 300 is not available yet.
2) No price has been announced.
3) Unknown HD quality.

Perhaps you could get around #3 by running the HDMI to your theater and the Sling Receiver on your smaller HDTV.
post #154 of 159 Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

I'm pretty sure the UHF-pro series of remotes can control the TV1 output, so that is a non-issue.
Yes, MRV would be an excellent upgrade for the VIP series of receivers, but I haven't heard of it since the Sling Media acquisition. What you are supposed to be doing with a 922 is adding one of these things: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/sling-receiver-300. The remote will control the TV2 (sometimes called TV3) Sling output of your 922, so you can independently view 922 programming on a 2nd HDTV.

There are 3 problems with this approach:

1) Sling Receiver 300 is not available yet.
2) No price has been announced.
3) Unknown HD quality.

Perhaps you could get around #3 by running the HDMI to your theater and the Sling Receiver on your smaller HDTV.

I would imagine that this is no different then running the Sling Software on a PC? But who know because you can't get it yet.

post #155 of 159 Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Was talking to a Dish Rep on the phone last night and told her I wanted a 922 when the Sling Receiver 300 came out, and she matter of factly told me that it would be available "At the end of the month". I'll take that with a grain of salt. Also, I'm not sure if she meant the end of Sept. or the end of Oct.

We'll see if she has any clue what she was talking about.
post #156 of 159 Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a bump to let everyone know, Dish is activating the USB port for free if you call or go through online chat. (prefer online chat, as you can save a transcript of the conversation). Be prepared to prove that its free by pasting the link to the representative.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects...e/default.aspx

post #157 of 159 Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the heads up Vin! I had to go to resolution management to get it for free but it finally went through.

And thanks to your great idea, I saved a transcript!

Thanks again!
post #158 of 159 Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So the sling loaded 922 does viewing from anywhere, how does the remote pc, tablet, or smartphone know which tuner to stream live tTV from?
post #159 of 159 Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It doesn't. It always uses the TV2 output.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page