NEW D-VHS deck to PC capture card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-24-2002, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found an interesting capture card that allows you to capture D-VHS data from a deck such as the HM-DH30000 and apparently put it into a format that is editable via a Ulead product. From Japan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-24-2002, 03:47 AM

Details please.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-24-2002, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Agreed. A link or two would be helpful.

-D

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #4 of 14 Old 01-24-2002, 06:15 PM

This auto translation results

PC to D-VHS dumping is also possible, they say.

Good news to hipix owner .

Hipix HDTV card -> D-VHS .

I hope it will work.

see following link

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...17/iodata1.htm

http://www.iodata.co.jp/news_rel/200201/006a.htm

Eye O, the IEEE 1394 card corresponding to D-VHS
It corresponds to the capture from -D-VHS, and the beginning.

The end shipment of 1 month
Standard price: 24,000 yen

Tokyo Tel.03-4288-1039
Osaka Tel.06-4705-5544
Kanazawa Tel.076-260-1024

I-O Data Device, Inc. It connects with ªà and the D-VHS deck, and the IEEE 1394 card "GV-DVC3/PCI" which can perform write return as taking in is put on the market late in January. A price is 24,000 yen. As for OS, although 2000/corresponds to XP, Windows 98 SE/Me / supporting D-VHS serve as only Windows XP.

GV-DVC3/PCI is the IEEE 1394 capture card of the PCI connection corresponding to both DV and D-VHS. Moreover, it is based also on OHCI and strike REJI apparatus can also be connected. An IEEE 1394 connector carries the thing of six pins in two and one inside at a bracket.

The capture/beginning of D-VHS connect PC with the D-VHS deck by IEEE 1394, and performs it using an attached utility "D-VHS Cap." At the time of a capture, the MPEG-2 TS (transformer port stream) form currently recorded on the D-VHS tape is changed into real time in MPEG-2 PS (program stream) form. Therefore, the taken-in file can be reproduced now with the usual MPEG-2 reproduction software for PC. In addition, in the conversion to a program stream from a transformer port stream, quality-of-image degradation is not generated fundamentally.

Although the capture carried out digital recording (MPEG-2) of the analog broadcasting, such as a ground wave, it sees and is possible. When digital recording (stream record) of digital BS / the CS broadcasting is carried out, the capture of it cannot be carried out. Moreover, it does not correspond to carrying out a direct capture from a digital BS/CS tuner, either. That is, the D-VHS deck will be used as external analog -> digital the MPEG[ a converter-cum-]-2 encoder / a decoder of PC.

as attached software -- video edit software "Ulead MediaStudioPro 6.0 Basic VE with Powerup kit" -- adding -- MPEG-2 plug-in for MediaStudio Pro "Panasonic DS MPEG PlugIn for Ulead" -- a bundle With this plug-in, MPEG-2 file which carried out the capture from the D-VHS deck can be edited. In addition, the beginning from D-VHS Cap to D-VHS supports only MEPG-2 file outputted by Panasonic DS MPEG PlugIn.

In the mode of D-VHS which can carry out a capture in D-VHS Cap, the beginning corresponds to each mode below "STD" mode. However, on some D-VHS decks, regardless of the bit rate of a former file, it is recorded on videotape in HS mode, and also there is restriction that the file which carried out the capture from D-VHS cannot be returned as it is.

The image of a DV camera is added to AVI form besides D-VHS Cap, and "DVworks" convertible into MPEG-1/2, and Windows Media Video (WMV) form on real time is appended to GV-DVC3/PCI.

The greatest feature of DVworks is that perform software MPEG encoding and creation of an MPEG file is possible on real time in parallel to capture operation. Only the portion which real-time encoding processing does not fulfill is buffered in HDD. Even if CPU powers run short after a capture end by the auto buffering function which carries out additional encoding, encoding without top omission is possible.

Moreover, in addition to this, DVD authoring software "Sonic MyDVD", still picture edit software "Ulead PhotoImpact 6 SE", the bracket for LowProfilePCI, etc. are attached.

¡Ã* The homepage of eye O data
http://www.iodata.co.jp/
¡Ã* News release
http://www.iodata.co.jp/news_rel/200201/006a.htm
post #5 of 14 Old 01-24-2002, 09:02 PM

Thanks vether and Jaehong

I will start looking for this capture card in Akihabara right away; it is beginning to get crowded in my little place with all the gear and BS tapes so I would love to be able to save content on the PC then put it on the tiny DDS4 or mniDV tapes since I can store 6 of the small, 4 mm, tapes in the space of one VHS sized tape.

Here`s hoping the software really works.

Milton Henry
post #6 of 14 Old 01-25-2002, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that translation, Jaehong. Much better than mine ;)

Quick summary of the card (from my understanding)

1) it's pretty much a standard OHCI card from what I gather

2) to get D-VHS capture and editing, you need an XP pc

3) the capture user interface looks very user friendly

4) With the new plug in, you can edit this material with the Ulead software.

5) I believe there are some constraints regarding HDTV video to a certain frame size, which may or may not be hackable (with someone a lot more knowlegable than myself)

6) The beta version tested had some audio sync issues which are supposed to be ironed out in the actual release.

Check the link for some screen shots and more info...

http://db.ascii24.com/db/review/peri...1537-001.html?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This is big news. Thanks Vether.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if it stays at the proper resolution though. Does ulead leave it 1920x1080 or does it downconvert it to the proper DV resolution of 720x480?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Heres a stupid question. Wouldn't any 1394 card be able to
capture from the JVC with the right software ?

I want HDTV 'cause I'm nearsighted !
post #10 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samiam95124
Heres a stupid question. Wouldn't any 1394 card be able to
capture from the JVC with the right software ?
I would think so - unless something special has to be done on the card to make the JVC think it has a valid connection. A firmware thing on the card...

All indications are that this is a standard OHCI card with some special software...

Cheers!
DAve.

Content is key. See the stats -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-
post #11 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

You're right that there's nothing special in the card. You could control the HM-DH30000 via Premiere and an OHCI card most likely. However, you wouldn't be able to capture video from it. It would be in an unreadable format. This new software allows you to capture the video first onto your computer, play it back, and there is even a plug-in for Ulead for doing some editing.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-26-2002, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

It does seem to downconvert to 720 x 480. But with this company, they probably didn't make such a limitation unhackable.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-27-2002, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If it is downconverting the image then it isn't doing anything special. I think I can do all the stuff its talking about right now without there card. The key factor is keeping the proper resolution, and the hacking isn't going to be done at there software. You woud have to hack Ulead to make that work because that is what is doing the capturing. . . in reality someone could probably make there own program that will capture, but they also have to come up with there own capture piece that will allow you to capture 1920x1080 out of firewire because that is not a current feature.

Maybe if the old software by Mr Pinky was used it might be possible. . . who knows.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-2002, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vether
It does seem to downconvert to 720 x 480. But with this company, they probably didn't make such a limitation unhackable.
Perhaps it is downverting to 720x480 DV? Does it say that it is 720x480 MPEG2 anywhere?

Cheers!
DAve.

Content is key. See the stats -
-

-
-
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page