Moxi 3012 DVR Q&A and Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 401 Old 01-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all -

I have the retail version of the moxi, and I am trying to figure out how to set up music playlists. Is there any way to do this? I am using a Netgear Stora NAS as the server.

I know I can set up genres - but I would rather not screw up all the genres for my entire collection.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 401 Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

The Moxi 3012 only accepts eSata connections. It will format the drive automatically when it is plugged in to the box. If the drive you have is an eSata drive and it is not being recognized, take it out, reset the Moxi, and try plugging it in again. If that still doesn't work, PM me with your Name, Address, and Phone# and I will double check the software version on it for you and refresh the settings.

Thanks for your offer. I did finally talk to a tech person at Moxi.com and he informed me that the drive not only has to be eSata, it has to be DVR certified or DVR expansion. I returned my Toshiba and ordered an Omega 1T DVR expansion drive. It should arrive in about a week. If I still have problems, I will take you up on your offer. I really appreciate you being a part of this forum. It has been frustrating getting different information from everyone I talked to at Charter. So, I really do appreciate your participation.
post #273 of 401 Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Scowen View Post

Thanks for your offer. I did finally talk to a tech person at Moxi.com and he informed me that the drive not only has to be eSata, it has to be DVR certified or DVR expansion. I returned my Toshiba and ordered an Omega 1T DVR expansion drive. It should arrive in about a week. If I still have problems, I will take you up on your offer. I really appreciate you being a part of this forum. It has been frustrating getting different information from everyone I talked to at Charter. So, I really do appreciate your participation.

Huh? I bought an external eSata enclosure from NewEgg and stuck a 1TB drive in I had laying around. I'm not even sure what DVR Certified means I thought that was marketing hype like "HDTV Antennae." Mines been working for a year. Rather, I thought the certified part had to do with power management.
post #274 of 401 Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM

Here's some info I'd like to share since I just went through this.
I have a Moxi 3012R from Charter in St Louis.
My first recommendation is to not call Charter and ask...one tech told me to just buy any USB drive & it would work....another didn't even know you could expand your DVR with an external Hard Drive.
Also, apparently Charter is not allow to recommend any specific brands.

After buying 4 different drives, this is what worked on mine....
I bought a generic SATA enclosure from MicroCenter (had both USB & eSATA external interfaces)...then I bought a 500 GB BLUE Western Digital SATA drive....7200 RPM & 16 MB Cache.
I connected it to my MOXI via eSATA, but I HAD to reset my Moxi (hold down the reset button until it reboots)....after the 10 minutes it took to come back it, it asked me to format ...five minutes after that I was in business.
-Dit
post #275 of 401 Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM

It appears we received some sort of update since my "grid" has graphically changed. It seems a little more optimized for an HDTV. I can't tell if their are any other differences. The box doesn't appear any quicker (which has been my number 1 complaint).

Anyone else notice any changes?
post #276 of 401 Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM

Both my 3012 boxes have the new menu look now too. Other than the new look, the only other difference I've noticed is that bowling is no longer listed in the games menu.
post #277 of 401 Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM

I don't really know if the look is any better or not. I can see more channels now then I could before.

Hopefully a speed boost is around the corner, i'm not holding my breath though.
post #278 of 401 Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 AM

I agree that the "speed boost" fix can't come fast enough. The delay in responsiveness from the remote to the system is downright frustrating.
post #279 of 401 Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Hey group, I posted this over in the other forum for Vizio TVs and thought I would try this group also, so I apologize for the double post. My problem is this is the new Moxi provided by Charter Cable Company with model# 3012 (The black one) and I've tried all the Motorola codes and none of them worked, so I'm assuming the hardware is different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I try adding my Moxi, I notice there is no listing for it or Charter under cable box or DVR and I was curious if anyone else has this type of BOX working with their new 47 VIA or 55 VIA. I've tried contacting Vizio to no avail. I've looked through the Moxi AVS group to no avail and a number of Google searches to no avail. I've included a link to what the device looks like and even looked under specs hoping to see a hardware type or something and all it said was Broadcom chipset which there is nothing listed for either.

information of the moxi can be found at moxi.com/us/support/mc3_docs.html

I appreciate any help
post #280 of 401 Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM

So the problem is that you cannot program the MOXI remote to control your new VIZIO TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqqker View Post

Hey group, I posted this over in the other forum for Vizio TVs and thought I would try this group also, so I apologize for the double post. My problem is this is the new Moxi provided by Charter Cable Company with model# 3012 (The black one) and I've tried all the Motorola codes and none of them worked, so I'm assuming the hardware is different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I try adding my Moxi, I notice there is no listing for it or Charter under cable box or DVR and I was curious if anyone else has this type of BOX working with their new 47 VIA or 55 VIA. I've tried contacting Vizio to no avail. I've looked through the Moxi AVS group to no avail and a number of Google searches to no avail. I've included a link to what the device looks like and even looked under specs hoping to see a hardware type or something and all it said was Broadcom chipset which there is nothing listed for either.

information of the moxi can be found at moxi.com/us/support/mc3_docs.html

I appreciate any help

post #281 of 401 Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Here is the link from MOXI's website giving the MOXI remote programming instructions and codes for the MOXI 3012: http://moxi.com/us/support/MC3R/remo...trol_codes.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullysdad View Post

So the problem is that you cannot program the MOXI remote to control your new VIZIO TV?

post #282 of 401 Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Here is the link from MOXI's website giving the MOXI remote programming instructions and codes for the MOXI 3012: http://moxi.com/us/support/MC3R/remo...trol_codes.pdf

Actually the other way around. I can get the Moxi remote to perform the basic functions, but would like to use the remote that came with the TV instead. The new Vizio sv472xvt and the bigger 55in have the new VIA features (Vizio Internet Apps) such as Netflix, Rhapsody, Facebook, etc and the remote that comes with these is a Bluetooth remote with a slideout qwerty keyboard. Most of these functions are well beyond what the Moxi remote can do. These TVs don't use the traditional way of programing the remote where you put in a 3 or 4 digit code to program, you go through an on-screen wizard and the TV talks to the remote once a code is found using a standard bluetooth profile. I've included a link that shows the remote at

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2009/06/...th-remote.html

When I go through the wizard I have no option for Charter, Moxi, Digeo or Arris and I've tried using the Motorola codes since the older BMC9012 was based on Motorola hardware, but the newer Moxi must be using different hardware.

I've made it down through the A - C's vendors, but it is extremely time consuming and I thought maybe someone here is running a similiar setup or may know the hardware used inside these units to save me some time of trying every code with every vendor.

Thanks for any help.
post #283 of 401 Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:

I agree that the "speed boost" fix can't come fast enough. The delay in responsiveness from the remote to the system is downright frustrating.

I really love the moxi. Day to day use is so painful sometimes with how slow the box is however. Thats really my only complaint. I keep waiting for the magic update (like the one that happened on the older moxi's) but with the company being sold i'm not sure if it will ever happen.
post #284 of 401 Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 PM

I can't believe we get an update and it doesn't include a speed fix! That is the only major problem with this moxi! Why even release an update without a remote/menu speed fix?!?!?!?!??! So frustrating.
post #285 of 401 Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM

I can't believe it! Update on 2/6/10. My menus are running ultrafast.
post #286 of 401 Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe we're talking different updates here, but I recently got the update that changed the GUI ... and its slower than the old one :-)
post #287 of 401 Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Yes my update only appears to have changed the GUI. The menus are so slow that last night I almost went into a rage and felt like smashing my entire home theater setup. LMAO. I was caught in one of those fast forward, rewind, fast forward, rewind episdoes because of the slow response. I don't think I've ever been so mad at my moxi / remote. haha
post #288 of 401 Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post

Yes my update only appears to have changed the GUI. The menus are so slow that last night I almost went into a rage and felt like smashing my entire home theater setup. LMAO. I was caught in one of those fast forward, rewind, fast forward, rewind episdoes because of the slow response. I don't think I've ever been so mad at my moxi / remote. haha

For me, I never have a problem with ff/rw/skip - they are all responsive. My new slowdown is in the menus themselves, very slow, and often the entire guide "blinks" off for a second and then reappears (and no, its not at the 1/2 or top of the hour.)

I've also noticed now that when I delete a recorded show, a very strange progress bar and message appears while its deleting. Doesn't seem right to me.
post #289 of 401 Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 AM

How odd. I'm really flying through the menus after the Saturday software update. Remote is much more responsive. The only thing still slow, is going from one category to another, but going up and down the channels is substantially better.
post #290 of 401 Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM

I've been experiencing "hiccups" on my video recordings lately. What happens is that there will be a second or two where primarily the video gets garbled or pixelated and then corrects itself. It happens maybe 3 or 4 times during a one hour show. It seems like maybe it's been getting a little more often over the last week or two.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm not sure what it could be, maybe a bad spot on the hard drive?

I'd hate to swap out my Moxi for this (kids have quite a bit of stuff saved on it) but this is rather annoying.
post #291 of 401 Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been experiencing "hiccups" on my video recordings lately. What happens is that there will be a second or two where primarily the video gets garbled or pixelated and then corrects itself. It happens maybe 3 or 4 times during a one hour show. It seems like maybe it's been getting a little more often over the last week or two.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm not sure what it could be, maybe a bad spot on the hard drive?

I'd hate to swap out my Moxi for this (kids have quite a bit of stuff saved on it) but this is rather annoying.

Actually I've been noticing hiccups on Charter lately, recorded or not. Especially on HD premiums like Showtime etc.
post #292 of 401 Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Last night this occurred on the recording of Big Love from HBO. I'll need to pay closer attention to what channels I'm seeing this on.

Sounds like I/we may just have to wait for Charter to work something out on their end.

I think I'll post something in the Charter direct forum on DSL reports and see if any of the Charter guys have a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Actually I've been noticing hiccups on Charter lately, recorded or not. Especially on HD premiums like Showtime etc.

post #293 of 401 Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM

Is there a way to program the MOXI remote to control the volume of a AV recvr and the on/off for the TV? The installer has mine set up to control the TVs (power and volume) but in one of my rooms I would need the volume to control the stereo and would prefer the on/off to stay with the TV.
post #294 of 401 Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM

Yes, I have mine that way. The instructions that come with the remote explain it step by step.
post #295 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 AM

I have had these same hiccups. I suspected that maybe one of the drives was the problem but after unhooking the external so I could only access the internal drive found that it is occurring on both drives so probably not the drive.

Over the weekend My 9200 froze about 5 times and could only be fixed by a restart. Then last night it froze and now I am getting a giant message on the screen (actually 4 screens since the writing is huge) "There is a problem with your Media center that prevents it from operating properly. PLease call customer service at 888/438-2427 for further assistance." In addition it did finally boot but only shows in SD with no menus or Moxi interface. Changing channels was verry slooooooow. I unplugged it am now considering my options.
I have hundred of shows recorded and my programs set up the way I want them.

1. Should I go for the 3012 and lose my 2 room capability? And have a slower interface.
2. Try to get my 6th 9022?
3. Buy a retail Moxi?
4. Go to Universal?

Any other suggestions?
post #296 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 AM

I know Charter had been running a deal where you could get a free DVR for a year (it was not advertised). I had the same situation where my 9022 died and I had it replaced with 2 3012's (1 of them being free for a year). I actually saved a couple dollars a month because I wasn't paying for the Mate anymore. One drawback is that the units are completely separate so recordings cannot be shared. The other drawback is that the menu/interface is slower on the new 3012. The benefit is that both units output HD and you now have 4 tuners instead of 2, and 2 separate 160GB hard drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

I have had these same hiccups. I suspected that maybe one of the drives was the problem but after unhooking the external so I could only access the internal drive found that it is occurring on both drives so probably not the drive.

Over the weekend My 9200 froze about 5 times and could only be fixed by a restart. Then last night it froze and now I am getting a giant message on the screen (actually 4 screens since the writing is huge) "There is a problem with your Media center that prevents it from operating properly. PLease call customer service at 888/438-2427 for further assistance." In addition it did finally boot but only shows in SD with no menus or Moxi interface. Changing channels was verry slooooooow. I unplugged it am now considering my options.
I have hundred of shows recorded and my programs set up the way I want them.

1. Should I go for the 3012 and lose my 2 room capability? And have a slower interface.
2. Try to get my 6th 9022?
3. Buy a retail Moxi?
4. Go to Universal?

Any other suggestions?

post #297 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Last night's recording of Big Love played fine with no issues. I'll see what happens with tonight's recording of 24.

I reported this on the Charter Direct forum over on DSLREPORTS and the Charter rep there opened a ticket and mid last week said the ticket had been worked/closed, so hopefully whatever was causing this has been fixed.

Quote:

Last night this occurred on the recording of Big Love from HBO. I'll need to pay closer attention to what channels I'm seeing this on.

Sounds like I/we may just have to wait for Charter to work something out on their end.

I think I'll post something in the Charter direct forum on DSL reports and see if any of the Charter guys have a response.

post #298 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 AM

I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon requesting a 3012. After I saw your post I called the retention line and they claimed to have not heard about the one year DVR offer. He said that maybe it is a local offer and the tech will offer it to me when he gets here. What do you think?
post #299 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Hi!

i'm hoping someone here might have some ideas. I'm in the St. Louis area with a moxi box, I'm assuming its the 3012.

We have not been able to order ppv on the Moxi. It keeps saying "There was a problem with your order, please contact customer care".

Here's more backstory: we originally had two moxi HD DVR's. Last weekend we tried to order UFC 109, and we got the error on BOTH MOXI BOXES. Called customer care, they didn't have a clue, said I should be getting the signal. Never did, on either moxi box, kept getting the error. The customer care eventually said it was probably because too many people tried to order it at the same time.

Fast forward a few days later, when I got the first bill. I didn't realize it was another $15 per month PLUS a $5 menu fee for a second DVR, so when I realized that I returned it and got a cable card for the second TV for $2 per month. There's no way I'm paying $20/month for a second box!!!!

Fast forward again to this Saturday. Tried to order UFC 110. I even ordered it around noon to be sure I got it early. Well, it played on the downstairs TV with the cable card, but not on the Moxi. Called 3 different technical support people, no one could fix it. All said the signal is going through, they logged into the box, updated it, no issues they could see. We didn't reach our account charge limit for the month, and there's no PPV restrictions on our account. There's no reason they could find for it not to work.

Charter guy came out this morning, and they still can't figure out why. Says it's not the box, that it's a "configuration issue", but no one seems know what that issue is. Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar issue?

This may cause us to go back to DirectTV, LOL. My husband loves his UFC. Switching to charter was my idea, so now it's on me!

Thanks!
post #300 of 401 Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

I would make a post in the Charter Direct forum over on DSLReports.com. They are the ones who extended the offer to me a few months back.
Here is the link: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/charterdirect You will have to register an account to post there I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon requesting a 3012. After I saw your post I called the retention line and they claimed to have not heard about the one year DVR offer. He said that maybe it is a local offer and the tech will offer it to me when he gets here. What do you think?

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page