Moxi 3012 DVR Q&A and Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 401 Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The old Moxi remote does not work on the new Moxi but Charter exchanged my extra old remote for a new one...no questions asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 401 Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM

My Moxi box (9012) finally bit the dust after 5+ years with no issues. Am I right in assuming that the new moxis still have to be provisioned locally by a tech? I can't just walk in to my local Charter office and pick one up, correct?
post #363 of 401 Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

My Moxi box (9012) finally bit the dust after 5+ years with no issues. Am I right in assuming that the new moxis still have to be provisioned locally by a tech? I can't just walk in to my local Charter office and pick one up, correct?

That is correct.
post #364 of 401 Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Twice in the last week my Moxi 3012 has just shut down completely. The whole front panel just goes dark as if it has been unplugged.

Both times I unplugged the power cable and replugged it in and the Moxi then rebooted and was fine. The power cable was fastened tightly in both instances so I don't believe that was the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know I'll probably have to swap out the box, but I have a bunch of stuff recorded that I'd hate to lose so I'm holding off as long as I can.
post #365 of 401 Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Just switched back to Charter from Dish Network over the weekend. I missed my Charter On-Demand...Dish doesn't give much of anything, especially Free Content and Free Premium with Premium channels. Spoiled by DVRs now too since I only had HD last time with Charter, so I got DVR and they came out with a Moxi Box.

During install the tech was even having issues pushing buttons and getting it to respond, but just told me it was downloading so would be slow for a while. He also found a main line signal issue, so hopefully they replaced the main hub serving 16+ people and the signal is better (Will have to check when I get home today).

I called and complained once though about 5 hours after install since still slow (They told me to wait till line was better), but in troubleshooting I found it to be the remote since the Front Panel was fast and sometimes the remote was when it didn't take 3-5 presses to function. Lights on or off didn't seem to matter, in fact I got the opposite results of the other guy here. I did agree on lighting issue though and narrowed it down to either Sun or my Plasma TV since both give my Wii problems depending on position. Usually it is the reflection though, so more likely it is the TV reflecting off the remote lens/walls/etc since even at night it was poor.

Glad I found this thread though as I'm now lightening fast! And, all it took was some wide masking tape (Search Home Depot's website for SKU 690188 to see the kind I mean). If you take a flashlight and shine it to the right of the 3 lights on the left side you will see a darker hole in the middle about 1/4 inch in diameter. Cut a strip of tape and cover the hole and you will have a fast Moxi too! Old VCRs and such used to have wire mesh or darker filters covering them which appears to be what they forgot on these units.

Takes some getting used to the channel based interface vs Grid, but once you figure out Ch Up/Dwn can move by pages and the time shifting it isn't so bad. I just need to figure out how to set defaults now like Dish allowed- Keep till I delete, Start 1min early, and End 2min late...right now I have to manually select this on everything I record which is annoying. Other than this, no standby mode, and the 30min process of selecting what channels to keep in my list I have no complaints and the box works great.
post #366 of 401 Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but there are no recording defaults like you want. Have to do them each time. But set up a series once and it's done.
post #367 of 401 Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Figures, I hadn't found any either, but some support guy said he had done it before and would call me when he finds the info. I was hoping for something like the easter eggs pressing back and next 3x in a certain location or a usb stick with a file to configure or something.

Install tech had told me that the USB works for external drive too, but sounds like that isn't true either. I don't think my external I used on Dish will come apart and is USB only. Most of my shows are ending lately, I guess next season I'll setup a series.
post #368 of 401 Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisborg View Post

Figures, I hadn't found any either, but some support guy said he had done it before and would call me when he finds the info. I was hoping for something like the easter eggs pressing back and next 3x in a certain location or a usb stick with a file to configure or something.

Install tech had told me that the USB works for external drive too, but sounds like that isn't true either. I don't think my external I used on Dish will come apart and is USB only. Most of my shows are ending lately, I guess next season I'll setup a series.

eSata only on the externals. FWIW, never believe anything a Charter "tech" tells you
post #369 of 401 Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 9012 died recently and through multiple replacements and technicians I have recently learned that my area is preparing to roll out 3012s in the very near future. I since found this thread and have been reading through most of it.

Interestingly, there have been no posts for months, though the 9012 thread has died down lately too.

My question is did the responsiveness of the 3012 ever improve? Due to a software update? Or is it still slow? I am reluctant to go to the "new" box if it means my current USB hard drive becomes pointless and more importantly if the box is not responsive. The responsiveness of the 9012 is one of the main reasons I prefer the Moxi. Hence, it may serve me better to have them track down a "good" 9012 than a new 3012. I like the idea of an HDMI connection over component, but not at the sacrifice of speed and hard drive.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #370 of 401 Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thread is quiet cause we're all happy :-)

Your USB hard drive will not work. eSata connection only. You will lose anything stored on your current USB drive.

Box is plenty responsive for me. There was a software update that "optimized" the interface and it got faster. I even took the tissue paper off the front. Whether it's fast enough for you will have to be seen.

I don't miss the noise of the 90xx at all. 3012s are whisper quiet.
post #371 of 401 Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 AM

I concur. I'm very happy with the 3012. Not only is it quiet, it's nice and cool with no heat buildup that was killing the 9012s. Responsiveness is no longer an issue for me.

Although I will say that Netflix is killing my usage of the Moxi.
post #372 of 401 Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses. Yea, I knew about the External hard drive differences, hence one of my hesitations because I don't want to have to buy a new external hard drive (I don't have an extra eSata Drive). However, I was more concerned about the responsiveness or lack thereof. Good to know the problem was resolved.

Not sure whether I will stick with a true properly refurbished 9012, a new 3012 (IF I can get one?), or make the jump to Direct TV?

Again, thanks for some feedback.
post #373 of 401 Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Seems there must have been a software update a couple of months back which temporarily improved the performance of my Moxi 3012. However, it seems to have reverted back to its original level of sluggish response times. I am referring only to problems with rewinding/fastforwarding and stopping of live and recorded tv.
post #374 of 401 Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullysdad View Post

Seems there must have been a software update a couple of months back which temporarily improved the performance of my Moxi 3012. However, it seems to have reverted back to its original level of sluggish response times. I am referring only to problems with rewinding/fastforwarding and stopping of live and recorded tv.

Hi Tullysdad,

We'll be glad to check with our headend techs to find out if that's the case.
post #375 of 401 Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Umatter, is the 3012 offered in Smyrna, GA now? If not, when will it be offered here?
post #376 of 401 Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

Umatter, is the 3012 offered in Smyrna, GA now? If not, when will it be offered here?

Hi Blue,

We'll be glad to check into that for you again. Would you mind sending us your address and phone# in a direct message as well?

Thanks, Abby
post #377 of 401 Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM

All,

Anyone figure out how to connect PIP from a 3012? I'm trying to make the HDMI the main window and Composite the sub-window per a wiring diagram I saw on Charter's site, but not getting any signal in the sub window. This is to a Samsung PN58C8000 Plasma if that matters....

Thanks!
post #378 of 401 Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrpeters View Post

All,

Anyone figure out how to connect PIP from a 3012? I'm trying to make the HDMI the main window and Composite the sub-window per a wiring diagram I saw on Charter's site, but not getting any signal in the sub window. This is to a Samsung PN58C8000 Plasma if that matters....

Thanks!

craig,

I will take a look and see what I can find out for you on this matter.

Thanks,

Seph
post #379 of 401 Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:

All,

Thanks!

Craig,

Could you please link where you got the instructions to set up the pip on the Moxi 3012.

Thanks,

Seph
post #380 of 401 Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All,

Thanks!

PiP is usually for two sources, not one. Are you saying the Moxi can output both tuners at the same time? If so, I'd like to see that link as well.
post #381 of 401 Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Seph,

SupportArticle2213.PDF is what I was looking at. It shows how to connect a DVR (doesn't say which) to a TV for PIP. It specifically shows HDMI and Composite cables to do this.

Thanks
post #382 of 401 Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Seph,

SupportArticle2213.PDF is what I was looking at. It shows how to connect a DVR (doesn't say which) to a TV for PIP. It specifically shows HDMI and Composite cables to do this.

Thanks

Craig,

Let me start with I am very sorry, but you cannot take one Moxi and have PIP. I know that the Moxi is a dual turner, but it only has one source out. The PDF is a little misleading. The PDF does show one DRV or HD box, but but the purpose is to show how you would hook the HDMI and the Composite cables from the box to the TV.

Thank you,

Seph
post #383 of 401 Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM

First, thanks Seph/Charter for being so responsive on this question.

Strongly suggest Charter clarify this on their own site - that PDF is totally misleading. All its doing is repeating the normal connection diagram. What would help is a simple three line FAQ stating what you put in this forum.
post #384 of 401 Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

First, thanks Seph/Charter for being so responsive on this question.

Strongly suggest Charter clarify this on their own site - that PDF is totally misleading. All its doing is repeating the normal connection diagram. What would help is a simple three line FAQ stating what you put in this forum.

Craig,

You are very welcome! Also thank you for the feed back. I will send the info to the proper people so that they are aware.

Thank you,

Seph
post #385 of 401 Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM

I apologize if I overlooked the answer to this in this thread:

Does anyone know if this 3012 model supports streaming media from a DLNA-compliant media server, such as TVersity or other such products? Does the ethernet port do anything (unlike the 9012, which it seems is just there for looks)?
post #386 of 401 Old 01-10-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post

I apologize if I overlooked the answer to this in this thread:

Does anyone know if this 3012 model supports streaming media from a DLNA-compliant media server, such as TVersity or other such products? Does the ethernet port do anything (unlike the 9012, which it seems is just there for looks)?

Newp, don't think so.

Ethernet does nothing as far as I know.
post #387 of 401 Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVa Wahoo in WNC View Post

My 9012 died recently and through multiple replacements and technicians I have recently learned that my area is preparing to roll out 3012s in the very near future. I since found this thread and have been reading through most of it.

UVa, have you heard any further info about the 3012 rollout in Asheville? I've asked several techs and they don't seem to know anything about it. I've been asking for what feels like a year now but I can't find anything out. I appreciate any info you can send my way. Thanks!
post #388 of 401 Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM

I am still having trouble ff and rewinding and playing with my Moxi. This used to be one of the nicest features of the original Moxi's and now it is the worst on these "new" models. Plus they are slooooooooow (I have 2) responding to commands. Like one person said above it did get better for a short while and now it is just frustrating try to get it to stop in the right place.

Is it just two of us that is having this persistant problem or are you just sick and tired of bitching about it and have given up....

I am paying a ton of money/month and am getting increasing less value for my $$$.
post #389 of 401 Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Well I'm disappointed, my local Charter office (northern lower Michigan) does not have the 3012 and says they dont expect to ever see any, because they require the technician to come out to install it (wtf?) and nobody ever wants that so they only stock the crappier motorola boxes (non-Moxi's).

Lame.
post #390 of 401 Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Did you put the masking tape on the Moxi unit or the remote? I tried the tape on the Moxi unit and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisborg View Post

Just switched back to Charter from Dish Network over the weekend. I missed my Charter On-Demand...Dish doesn't give much of anything, especially Free Content and Free Premium with Premium channels. Spoiled by DVRs now too since I only had HD last time with Charter, so I got DVR and they came out with a Moxi Box.

During install the tech was even having issues pushing buttons and getting it to respond, but just told me it was downloading so would be slow for a while. He also found a main line signal issue, so hopefully they replaced the main hub serving 16+ people and the signal is better (Will have to check when I get home today).

I called and complained once though about 5 hours after install since still slow (They told me to wait till line was better), but in troubleshooting I found it to be the remote since the Front Panel was fast and sometimes the remote was when it didn't take 3-5 presses to function. Lights on or off didn't seem to matter, in fact I got the opposite results of the other guy here. I did agree on lighting issue though and narrowed it down to either Sun or my Plasma TV since both give my Wii problems depending on position. Usually it is the reflection though, so more likely it is the TV reflecting off the remote lens/walls/etc since even at night it was poor.

Glad I found this thread though as I'm now lightening fast! And, all it took was some wide masking tape (Search Home Depot's website for SKU 690188 to see the kind I mean). If you take a flashlight and shine it to the right of the 3 lights on the left side you will see a darker hole in the middle about 1/4 inch in diameter. Cut a strip of tape and cover the hole and you will have a fast Moxi too! Old VCRs and such used to have wire mesh or darker filters covering them which appears to be what they forgot on these units.

Takes some getting used to the channel based interface vs Grid, but once you figure out Ch Up/Dwn can move by pages and the time shifting it isn't so bad. I just need to figure out how to set defaults now like Dish allowed- Keep till I delete, Start 1min early, and End 2min late...right now I have to manually select this on everything I record which is annoying. Other than this, no standby mode, and the 30min process of selecting what channels to keep in my list I have no complaints and the box works great.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page