Moxi 3012 DVR Q&A and Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 401 Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no idea if this will be an "official" thread or not, but some of us in the St. Louis area now have these in our homes ... so I thought it would be a good idea to separate the unit from the older Moxi Motorola BMC90xx models.

If you have one, post the good, bad, and the ugly.

NOTE: This thread is for people who have received the Moxi from a cable company ... this is NOT the thread for the retail model Digeo will sell on its own. For retail info visit here:

http://www.amazon.com/Moxi-MR-1500T3...2545552&sr=8-1

EDIT: Thought I'd update this first post as a type of mini-faq. If there are additions, please PM me and I'll add them:

• Unit is considerably quieter than the Moxi BMC90xx models. The top of the box is totally vented, allowing for better airflow. As the unit is slimmer I'm guessing it has a smaller fan inside, thus the reduced noise. This noise reduction alone is reason for switching. Even when not watching TV the Moxi's are always on, and now my living room is actually quiet!
• Has component and HDMI video out for HD. Also has RCA and SVHS video out. No more coaxial digital out, only optical.
• Internal HD is 160GB (only the retail version comes with a 500GB)
• Front clock is smaller than the older models. I like it, my GF says its too small
• One USB port on the front, useful for loading photos, no other functions I know of
• Rear has another USB port, an ethernet port, and a serial port - use unknown
• Firewire port on the rear is "hot" (see below) but its usefulness has yet to be determined (see further below)
• Rear also has an SATA port for connecting an eSata external drive (up to 1TB) for expanded storage. This replaces the USB external storage function of the older models. USB externals cannot be used on the 3012. You must use a 7200rpm / 16mb buffered drive. User should avoid "green" hard drives and many people have had bad experiences with them due to variable speed rates and power saving features of the drives.
• Moxi UI has been "optimized" for widescreen TVs. This makes it crisper and clear. Functionality (speed of menus, etc) remains basically the same
• No new functions to speak of in the menus. There is one new "Cable Card" submenu in the "Settings" area. Tech told me it is there to comply with new FCC regulations.
• Remote control is exactly the same as before except for the color (this may vary I suppose - true in the StL area)
• Access to the service menu remains the same and all items appear the same as before
• Boot time from a cold start is Moxi long -- if you have a Moxi you know what I mean
• Aesthetically the new black front and silver bezel/box look better in my entertainment center. Matches my PS3, hehe, ok that's subjective, but it looks less "clunky" than the older models.
• Multiple outputs cannot be used at the same time unless all resolutions are turned off except 480i. So you cannot view HD on one TV and SD on another at the same time. This is the same as the older Moxi units.

Please feel free to let me know what I've missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've just confirmed that the firewire port is hot on the Moxi 3012. In the photo below is Airplane II showing on HDNet ... on the TV, and next to it my MacBook hooked via firewire 400. I opened QT Player (QT Pro), chose "MC3" as both video and audio inputs, and started a new recording. Worked perfectly. I imagine other software should work as well!

post #3 of 401 Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM

have you tested the playback from the dvr to the macbook? how was it? what size was the file?
post #4 of 401 Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcomputer View Post

have you tested the playback from the dvr to the macbook? how was it? what size was the file?

Still something I'm working on. While the FW is indeed hot, I can't seem to get the mac to record anything. QTPro shows it, I hit record, but now get a "no data received" message after stopping the recording. Which is strange cause the picture is moving and the simple test I did before worked. Maybe they are monitoring this and shut it down, hah. Or it could be my particular box problems.

Tried Final Cut Pro as well, but can't get it to recognize the device at all. So I guess I was just overexcited.

I'm not sure I'm going to keep this box. Its slower than the old moxi (slower processor) and apparently the roll out isn't going well. I myself have guide/channel problems that are being attributed to failed communication with the DOCSIS ID. Tech was out today and all I can do at this point is wait for the "patch" they are trying to send out. *shrug*

Charter!
post #5 of 401 Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM

Does anyone know if this box (the 3012) and the standalone HD DVR have the same UI? If so, there are a few questions I'd like to ask. Thanks.
post #6 of 401 Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm42 View Post

Does anyone know if this box (the 3012) and the standalone HD DVR have the same UI? If so, there are a few questions I'd like to ask. Thanks.

You mean the retail unit? I believe the UI is the same -- there is a submenu in the "Settings" called "Cablecard" with activation, pairing, etc
post #7 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Isn't the UI supposedly "optimized" for widescreen (versus simply stretched with the 9012 unit)?
post #8 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage522 View Post

Isn't the UI supposedly "optimized" for widescreen (versus simply stretched with the 9012 unit)?

Yes it is. Much sharper and crisp, but basically its the same UI. And, believe it or not, it is slower ... kind of frustratingly so, like the original Moxi before the software updates. Its disappointing really.
post #9 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM

What a drag! (pardon the pun)
post #10 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Well my install of the new Moxi box isn't going well. The tech was here from 10 until after 12 and the box is provisioned has an IP address but is only receiving the default 5 test channels. It even has guide data for those 5 channels.

The tech left said we have to wait for a while to see what happens. He said he was going to call me back after installing a couple other clients in the area!

I suspect that they didn't pair the Cablecard in the box, and that is what is causing the issues. The cablecard status indicates Waiting for Restart......

The box has been restarted several times.
post #11 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

Well my install of the new Moxi box isn't going well. The tech was here from 10 until after 12 and the box is provisioned has an IP address but is only receiving the default 5 test channels. It even has guide data for those 5 channels.

The tech left said we have to wait for a while to see what happens. He said he was going to call me back after installing a couple other clients in the area!

I suspect that they didn't pair the Cablecard in the box, and that is what is causing the issues. The cablecard status indicates Waiting for Restart......

The box has been restarted several times.

I got escalated today ... tech coming out to fix mine .. I was told he's the main installer who is very familiar with the new 3012's ... so I will update you later this evening. This came from another email to Trippe because I was ready to dump Charter altogether. So it better go well.
post #12 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

I got escalated today ... tech coming out to fix mine .. I was told he's the main installer who is very familiar with the new 3012's ... so I will update you later this evening. This came from another email to Trippe because I was ready to dump Charter altogether. So it better go well.

Well they are coming back with a new box apparantly. What problems are you seeing on your Moxi? Limited channels?
post #13 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

Well they are coming back with a new box apparantly. What problems are you seeing on your Moxi? Limited channels?

Sort of. I have all my channels in the guide, all my SD channels work. My HD channels are screwed up. Several channels, and local feeds, say I'm unsubscribed. I'd say about 5% of them. Totally random.

Another issue, I hit ESPN2HD (774) and it takes me to History Channel HD. If I hit History Channel HD directly, it says I'm unsubscribed.

*shrug* its pretty messed up, as I can't reprogram a lot of my series and stuff. And really, these techs should know how to install, or they shouldn't be rolling out these boxes especially if they are defective. Hopefully I'll have a direct answer either way in a couple of hours.
post #14 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM

This is positively inspiring.
post #15 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm42 View Post

This is positively inspiring.

Hehe ---- its pretty normal for Charter
post #16 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Happy to report my issue has been fixed. It was a simple channel mapping error ... the original installer had mapped me to St. Louis City instead of St. Louis County. Two things to think about here:

1. During the initial install they go into the "CSR" menu, which is kind of a questionaire - "Is the screen set to widescreen" and other simple questions the installer is supposed to answer. The last two options involve which head-end you should be in, and which channel mapping to use. I remember watching him do this but he was traveling through it fast and must have hit the wrong channel map. IMPORTANT NOTE: this menu can only be accessed ONCE -- no other tech can access it once the box has been setup.

2. You'd THINK one of the other 3 techs would know how to fix a simple channel mapping error, or one of the people they call. So frustrating to be told so much BS about the problem.

The tech who came out tonight was excellent -- guess he's a tier up. I'm glad its fixed.

So in conclusion, I think some of the problems we're experiencing have nothing to do with the box, but poor installer training.

Oh yea, my menus have gotten faster too, so the bad channel mapping must have been affecting that as well. I'd still say they are a tad slower then the silver Moxi's.
post #17 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Happy to report my issue has been fixed. It was a simple channel mapping error ... the original installer had mapped me to St. Louis City instead of St. Louis County. Two things to think about here:

1. During the initial install they go into the "CSR" menu, which is kind of a questionaire - "Is the screen set to widescreen" and other simple questions the installer is supposed to answer. The last two options involve which head-end you should be in, and which channel mapping to use. I remember watching him do this but he was traveling through it fast and must have hit the wrong channel map. IMPORTANT NOTE: this menu can only be accessed ONCE -- no other tech can access it once the box has been setup.

2. You'd THINK one of the other 3 techs would know how to fix a simple channel mapping error, or one of the people they call. So frustrating to be told so much BS about the problem.

The tech who came out tonight was excellent -- guess he's a tier up. I'm glad its fixed.

So in conclusion, I think some of the problems we're experiencing have nothing to do with the box, but poor installer training.

Oh yea, my menus have gotten faster too, so the bad channel mapping must have been affecting that as well. I'd still say they are a tad slower then the silver Moxi's.

Good info they also suspect it is a channel mapping issue on my box as well, the box seems to think it's in the "warehouse" channel mapping and they cannot seem to figure out how to get it to map to the Belleville system.

They gave up for today and installed an old Moxi and are coming back on Thursday afternoon. They are going to try to set it up in the office before coming out on Thursday. This is only the third box installed in the Belleville system so it's not surprising there are training issues here. I did see the tech run through the installer menu but didn't see what channel map he selected.
post #18 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI: As the old Moxi only had component out (well, DVI too) I had this new one hooked up the same way until tonight when I switched it to HDMI. There is no 480i output over HDMI.

Since making this switch I'd have to say that the SD channels look better than the old Moxi.

Its either Progress, or my imagination :-)
post #19 of 401 Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

1 - New Cablecard submenu in the "Settings" - no user functionality

2 - External HD requirements

post #20 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:

You mean the retail unit? I believe the UI is the same -- there is a submenu in the "Settings" called "Cablecard" with activation, pairing, etc

It has a different model number. The retail UI is the same as the new model but there are supposed to be many new features...such as nested folders. For instance, a program only show up once and then individual episodes are in the folder...nice...and we should have it here. Version 4.5? Ever????

To see the full Moxi propaganda details go to Amazon.com (exclusive seller) and search on Moxi.
or

I tried to do a review on it but they censored it. So I commented on the one "suspect looking" review.

$800 is still too much for a product with no visible warranty and a history of crashing and burning.
post #21 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 AM

My 9012 Moxi died overnight...I requested another, and the tech said he would try to get me a 3012 (he offered, I didn't ask) but I know that's HIGHLY unlikely. I don't think they're "way down south" yet. They're scheduled to come this afternoon...maybe I'll get something (even if it isn't a Moxi) before LOST starts running.
post #22 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

It has a different model number. The retail UI is the same as the new model but there are supposed to be many new features...such as nested folders. For instance, a program only show up once and then individual episodes are in the folder...nice...and we should have it here. Version 4.5? Ever????

To see the full Moxi propaganda details go to Amazon.com (exclusive seller) and search on Moxi.
or

I tried to do a review on it but they censored it. So I commented on the one "suspect looking" review.

$800 is still too much for a product with no visible warranty and a history of crashing and burning.

I agree, at that price point I don't see how its ever going to compete with Tivo and other products.
post #23 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I believe the internal HD is 160GB, waiting on some confirmation

i thought the hd is 500 gb. is the new moxi for charter the charter-gimped moxi?

after an unsuccessful attempt, i'm having another install on saturday morning. btw, thanks for posting all the info.
post #24 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehyunch View Post

i thought the hd is 500 gb. is the new moxi for charter the charter-gimped moxi?

after an unsuccessful attempt, i'm having another install on saturday morning. btw, thanks for posting all the info.

500gb is the Retail version, The Moxi site lists the Cable version has containing a 160gb drive.
http://moxi.com/moxi/discover_moxi_cable.jsp

I think its a complete waist of power, space, and heat to have used such a small drive... But at the same time I would have never expected them to splurge on a 500gb either...

Also I think some of the main differences you will see from Retail Vs Cable provided is more frequent firmware updates for retail users.. Charter is very slow to approve each and every update and also removes features that it deems as not important or not worth paying for.... Whereas the Retail unit should have every feature enabled as things come to be... What these features and updates will consists of only time will tell. I know they teased some online features at the Moxi event I attended in STL but your guess is as good as mine.. One thing that would be sweet and you would think fairly doable would be to tie in with Netflix since their streaming service seems to be taking off... Just something to chew on...

-Phatty
post #25 of 401 Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty View Post

One thing that would be sweet and you would think fairly doable would be to tie in with Netflix since their streaming service seems to be taking off... Just something to chew on...

-Phatty

I don't see Charter ever doing that since it would directly compete with their OnDemand services. Same reason we'll probably never see a native streaming Netflix app on the PS3 - competes with their movie rentals in the Playstation Store.
post #26 of 401 Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:

I don't see Charter ever doing that since it would directly compete with their OnDemand services. Same reason we'll probably never see a native streaming Netflix app on the PS3 - competes with their movie rentals in the Playstation Store.

Yeah I suppose that would be another thing that would remain Retail only if it ever came to be.. Although you have to wonder just how many retail units they are going to sell.. I mean I love the Moxi, its one of the only reasons I remain loyal to Charter.... But $800 dollars... yeah right... Even at half the costs I still would have to some serious thinking before ever following through with a purchase...
post #27 of 401 Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 AM

I had a new Moxi installed by Charter two days ago and can provide my preliminary review if anyone else is considering it. Installation went fine, but I had a good tech (thanks Steve T!).

1) Interface and behavior is exactly the same as the old Moxi, but noticeably slower. The speed degradation is particularly noticeable when doing a title search (which was always slow, but not this slow) and FF/RWD on recorded titles.

2) Only optical out, which could require running another audio line (did for me).

3) Based on the amount I have recorded (about 4 hours of HD and 1 hr of SD) and what the Moxi is reporting (26% full) it does *not* have a 500GB drive - 160GB sounds right to me.

4) Relatedly, only eSata support so if you were using an external USB drive with your old Moxi (which I was) you're SOL. Ordered an eSata enclosure to put an extra drive I have lying around - I'll update and let you know how that works when I get it set up.

5) Runs significantly cooler and quieter. I was always concerned that my old Moxi would burn my house down, and the heat issue almost certainly caused the premature failures (I went through 3 old Moxis). Also, while the old Moxi could always be heard, the new one is only noticeable if you're up close. I'm hoping it also draws less power (since you can't turn it off) but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Bottom line, if you like the old Moxi, you'll want the new one if only for reliability reasons. Hopefully it will get a firmware update at some point like the old one did that addresses some of the performance issues.
post #28 of 401 Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Open question to anyone with a new 3012 Moxi:

Can the Moxi send out an HD signal (720p or 1080i) on its component output while at the same time sending out an SD version of the same content on the S-Vid and composite outputs?

I'd like to be able to have HD content showing at HD resolution on a TV adjacent to the moxi while at the same time have the same program (in down-rez'd form) sent to another TV located in a different room.

With my old moxi, I have to set the Moxi to output only 480i signals for all programming in order to view HD programs in my second room. This is a nuisance when I want to view the programming in HD on the TV connected via component.

The HD tuner I had four years ago was capable of doing what I wanted, but I lost that ability when I "upgraded" to a Moxi. Can anyone tell me if my desire will be met with the new Moxi?

Thank you.
post #29 of 401 Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Ziegler View Post

Open question to anyone with a new 3012 Moxi:

Can the Moxi send out an HD signal (720p or 1080i) on its component output while at the same time sending out an SD version of the same content on the S-Vid and composite outputs?

I'd like to be able to have HD content showing at HD resolution on a TV adjacent to the moxi while at the same time have the same program (in down-rez'd form) sent to another TV located in a different room.

With my old moxi, I have to set the Moxi to output only 480i signals for all programming in order to view HD programs in my second room. This is a nuisance when I want to view the programming in HD on the TV connected via component.

The HD tuner I had four years ago was capable of doing what I wanted, but I lost that ability when I "upgraded" to a Moxi. Can anyone tell me if my desire will be met with the new Moxi?

Thank you.

As noted in the 1st post, there is anecdotal talk that this is possible. Its on my list of things to try, but it involves moving some gear around the house and I haven't had time yet
post #30 of 401 Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Finally up and running with the new Moxi. There was a channel mapping issue that had to be resolved and a billing issue.

Interface is slower as everyone else has said but hopefully they have a update planned to address that.

I can confirm the internal drive is 160 gig drive. If you look through the top grill you can see it's a Western Digital 160 gig drive.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page