DVICO TViX R3310? - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 429 Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, the drive is definitely defunct. I spent the better part of the day trying to format it in Windows, which eventually gives up and can't access it. The Tvix also doesn't even bother, the drive is dead to it. I can still use the media streaming functions and TV tuner on the box, so the device itself is still good.

Unfortunately I don't have a readily available SATA drive hanging around to toss in the box and confirm 100% the original drive is toast. And while I appreciate the notion that hard drives these days are relatively inexpensive, my current budget right now does not really allow me to just pick up another drive on a whim (especially those in the size realm of the original or higher).

I'm also fairly upset that Digital Connection sold me the drive along with the Tvix and it's gone caput after just a year of use. I emailed them saying as much, and wondering if they would be willing to do anything about my predicament. I've never had any hard drive go bad on me in less than four or five years, much less one from Western Digital (which has always been my go-to choice for hard drives).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 429 Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Rather than being upset, how about pursuing a warranty claim? I think that WD HDD have at least 1-year warranties and likely DC will either provide the replacement or help you get one from WD.
post #303 of 429 Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM

T, I'd be more than happy to do that, especially if DC is willing to help given that they sold me the drive. However, I still haven't heard from them as of yet.
post #304 of 429 Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

bananaslug79,

Sorry to hear about your drive. Unfortunately, the procedure for replacement of the drive would be the same for you as it would for us, either way WD has to be contacted for the replacement.

Providing drives are just an enhanced service, we install the units for customers that may not want to do it themselves. We have very little control over the service end of those items treated by most vendors as a commodity items, especially outside of initial 30 day period after purchase. Their service has been designed in this manner to alleviate work for the big retailers who basically see the after sale service as responsibility of the manufacturer. We will do whatever we can to help expedite the procedure.
post #305 of 429 Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Kei, thanks. I actually have gotten through on your sales line and they've told me pretty much the same thing. I'm going to start with WD's support and try the RMA that way. I'll let you guys know if I have any trouble.

I appreciate the help.
post #306 of 429 Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 AM

Ack, double post.

Thanks to all that helped with this, I got the replacement drive from WD yesterday and it is up and working again in my Tvix. Sorry for the general crankiness on this issue, for me it was a bit of new territory as in 15+ years of computing I've never had a hard drive go bad on me so early in its life. It's something I'm just not used to, to the point where I didn't even know WD had three years of warranty on their products (before last week, never even came close to needing that much assurance).
post #307 of 429 Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Anyone have any news on a firmware update for the R3310?
post #308 of 429 Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM

I had a reply a few weeks ago from DVICO that they plan to have one in 2Q2010. Msg below. Not holding my breath but it sounds promising.

Hello Bill,
We''l release fixed version soon.
We expect we can modify 3300 FW in 2Q of this year.

We are really sorry about it again.
Thanks.
post #309 of 429 Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Apparently AVS Forum tells me this is an OLD thread? Huh.

So, almost two months out from the last "official" response from Dvico, anybody heard anything on this supposed fixed firmware for the 3310? Mine's in transition right now anyway, but great news would be hearing they finally get around to fixing the firmware issues for good by the time I get it back and running.
post #310 of 429 Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They seem to be in the throes of getting new M-66x0 and N1 firmwares out just now, so my guess is that the R-series FW won't be out for a while yet. (But it should benefit somewhat from lessons learned on the newer Realtek sets)
post #311 of 429 Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 PM

I have been waiting for over 6 months for a trivial fix. I have given up on Dvico. I can still use the PVR function but I have to program around the consecutive show issue. A pain but doable. Anyway, the importance of a PVR has greatly diminished for me over the last 6 months. Almost everything I recorded can now be seen on the internet the next day or at most a week later. The last time I used it was at least 2 months ago. There are numerous low cost and good media boxes to perform the other functions.
post #312 of 429 Old 07-16-2010, 08:18 PM

I see TVIX has released new firmware for many of their models including the R3310 :-) Anyone tried yet? I've downloaded v1.8.4 but won't have a chance to try for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it fixes all the glitches and doesn't create any new ones.
post #313 of 429 Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm...says that it fixes the "consecutive recording problem"....
post #314 of 429 Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Hmm...says that it fixes the "consecutive recording problem"....

I tried "consecutive recording" last night and that now works ok.

In Florida, I had a few channels that, if selected, would always send the 3310 into a reboot. I won't be back to Florida til Nov and so can't see if 1.8.4 has fixed that.

I am seeing issues with the EPG. Alot of times the program list is blank. If I move to another channel and hit "Sel", the preview screen reflects the new channel but the program list remains empty. I had just hooked the antenna up so maybe it just takes awhile for it to get the programs listings from PSIP.

Something else I haven't yet tested...If a recording was longer than an hour, I would run into navigation problems. Skipping over a commercial might send be back to the beginning of the program. Very frustrating.
post #315 of 429 Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I've tried several consecutive recordings also and they've all worked.

The EPG list is filled in when you tune to a new channel and then retained until you power down. Sometimes the EIT (EPG) data stream gets "overlooked" in that first tuning. (Not all channels have EIT data, so the TViX may erroneously conclude that it's tuned to one of them if it misses those packets on first look) If that occurs, try tuning a different station and then go back.

The navigation problems that you describe sound just like what I've seen on all the Sigma Designs-based players, but I've not encountered them on any of the Realtek-based TViX models so far. Is the signal quality marginal on the channel for the problem recordings?
post #316 of 429 Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:

...Not all channels have EIT data, so the TViX may erroneously conclude that it's tuned to one of them if it misses those packets on first look) If that occurs, try tuning a different station and then go back.

Are you saying I should exit the EPG display, tune to a new station, and then reenter the EPG display? Aren't you tuning to a new station when you move left/right in the EPG display and then hit "Select"?

Quote:

The navigation problems that you describe sound just like what I've seen on all the Sigma Designs-based players, but I've not encountered them on any of the Realtek-based TViX models so far. Is the signal quality marginal on the channel for the problem recordings?

No, the signal wasn't marginal. Because of the back-to-back recording problems with the previous firmware, if there were two shows in a row I wanted, I would make a single 2 hour recording. These recordings would always have navigation problems. I could find my way back with the GOTO button, but it was an effort since I never knew exactly where I was when I was moved back to the start of the program. I ended up using VideoReDo to break up those recordings (while removing some commercials), but I would prefer it didn't get lost like that.
post #317 of 429 Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

Are you saying I should exit the EPG display, tune to a new station, and then reenter the EPG display?

No
Quote:

Aren't you tuning to a new station when you move left/right in the EPG display and then hit "Select"?

Yes, so what I meant was to cursor to a different channel, select it, and then go back and select the previous one again. But I'm not sure that the TViX won't then stick with its original false conclusion.
Quote:

No, the signal wasn't marginal....I would make a single 2 hour recording. These recordings would always have navigation problems....

Hmm. Again, I've not seen this on playback with this TViX, but I've not used it heavily with the recent fw and, come to think of it, most of my files are recorded elsewhere so it may be that native R3300 files have more of this problem! I'll look into that.
post #318 of 429 Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:

NoYes, so what I meant was to cursor to a different channel, select it, and then go back and select the previous one again. But I'm not sure that the TViX won't then stick with its original false conclusion.

I'll play around with this. This was more a curiosity than a problem. I generally setup a recording manually anyway.

Quote:

...so it may be that native R3300 files have more of this problem! I'll look into that.

Thanks. Make a two hour recording. When viewing, once you're past the first hour, then skipping 15 seconds can send you back to the start. I wish I could tell you exactly where it happens. I seemed to have problems at the 1 hr 30-40 min range.
post #319 of 429 Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DB100-- Let us know if you see the backward jumping on long recordings with the current fw. I made a 2-hr recording and then jumped through the second hour by pressing the 15-second skip button in series of 4 to skip ahead one minute and each group of 4 gave very close to 60 seconds' jump with no backward jumps at all. (NMT owners eat your hearts out. )
post #320 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:

DB100-- Let us know if you see the backward jumping on long recordings with the current fw.

Sounds promising. It's odd though, if this was corrected you'd think it'd be mentioned in the list of fixes for 1.8.4.
post #321 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM

The navigation issue was a problem that occured with the FW a couple of versions back. The previous FW solved it, at least for me, so maybe that's why they don't mention it. The back to back recording issue is one that's been around for some time as well as recordings occationally being blank or with just sound and no picture. Let's hope those problems are solved.
post #322 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuthrich View Post

The navigation issue was a problem that occured with the FW a couple of versions back. The previous FW solved it...

That explains it. Because of the back-to-back recording problems, I stopped using the last FW and went back to the version before that. That must be why I had the navigation problems. It should be all fixed now. Great!

I really wish they'd add the ability to reposition your antenna and then add channels, without erasing the previously scanned channels.
post #323 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DB100, have you tried keying in the (rf) channel number of the station to be added when you have repositioned the antenna to better receive? I think that you may be able to add stations individually to the GoTo & Guide lists in that way, but I'm not able to test that easily here.
post #324 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Have you tried keying in the (rf) channel number of the station to be added when you have repositioned the antenna to better receive? I think that you may be able to add stations individually to the GoTo & Guide lists in that way, but I'm not able to test that easily here.

I've tried but was never successful. For example, I can add channels 39.1 & 39.2 (internal #38) on my other devices after repositioning my antenna (I live in an RV so this is easy to do). On the 3310, in the GoTo screen I tried typing 38, 39.1, and 39.10, but nothing would get me to channel 39.1. If you hit the Add/Del button the choices are 'Add favorite', 'Delete channel',
and 'Cancel'. 'Add a new channel' is not one of the options.

As I said before, the 3310's EPG listing doesn't work right for me. I get a program list on some channels and not on others. Here's what I'm seeing:
On my other device the EPG lists the program names for 13.1 and 33.1(PBS). The descriptions for the PBS channel are pretty much always "No Information Available". The descriptions for the 13.1 programs are mostly there. The 3310 EPG never lists programs for 33.1 and does show programs for 13.1. It's as if the 3310 is only looking at the "Description" field. If that is blank then it doesn't bother to list the program name.
post #325 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't go to the GoTo menu. Just enter the rf channel number (38) while viewing another station. I found that this added at least one channel (containing 2 subchannels and full PSIP/EPG data) for me with the current FW. But it didn't seem to work on another channel, one that lacked proper PSIP data, so that may be contributing to your problem.
post #326 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Don't go to the GoTo menu. Just enter the rf channel number (38) while viewing another station.

Well, I'll be darned - that worked. Excellent!

Ok, that's two issues that have been resolved for me. The last is the EPG issue:

TVIX's logic is:
If there's no 'Description' in the PSIP data stream, then don't allow me to schedule a recording via EPG.

My logic is:
If you're a fan of Boston Legal or Castle, and the PSIP data stream has the name, start time, and duration, do you really care about the Description. No...you just want to shedule the recording.
post #327 of 429 Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

TVIX's logic is: If there's no 'Description' in the PSIP data stream, then don't allow me to schedule a recording via EPG.

Your observation doesn't fit with my experience here. None of my cable channels have Program descriptions. The ones that do have PSIP data include only Program Titles and times in the EIT packets. Yet I am able to use the Guide to schedule recordings on them.

Where are you? If you're viewing OTA DTV in the U.S. your channels should all have proper PSIP data streams, per FCC regulations. You mentioned seeing the data from the problem channel(s) on another device. If you're not seeing that same data displayed on TViX it's most likely because there's a technical problem with the data stream such that the the TViX doesn't understand it but the other device is accommodating the error.

How many stations present you with this issue? Do you have a PC tuner card so that you can capture a clip of the full transport stream for DViCo analysis?
post #328 of 429 Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Your observation doesn't fit with my experience here. None of my cable channels have Program descriptions. The ones that do have PSIP data include only Program Titles and times in the EIT packets. Yet I am able to use the Guide to schedule recordings on them.

Where are you? If you're viewing OTA DTV in the U.S. your channels should all have proper PSIP data streams, per FCC regulations. You mentioned seeing the data from the problem channel(s) on another device. If you're not seeing that same data displayed on TViX it's most likely because there's a technical problem with the data stream such that the the TViX doesn't understand it but the other device is accommodating the error.

I'm in the U.S. The other device is a DISH DTVPal which is a DVR that works only with over-the-air TV (antenna, ATSC). It includes my PBS channels in its EPG. The 3310 does not. The DTVPal's EPG is broken up into one hour segments which happens to coinside with the actual duration of the program, so maybe duration or endtime is missing from the PSIP which is accomodated for.

Quote:

How many stations present you with this issue?

Just my PBS stations 33.1, 33.2, 33.3. Mmmmm, I just thought of something. When I did the channel scan, my PBS stations appeared twice. That's because the same channels are at rf 19 and rf 25. I went into the channel list and used Add/Del to delete the 2nd of each duplicate. Can you see any way that deleting duplicates might confuse the EPG program list?

Quote:

How many stations present you with this issue? Do you have a PC tuner card so that you can capture a clip of the full transport stream for DViCo analysis?

I have a USB tuner card, but lets first see if the duplicate issue mentioned above is causing the problems.
post #329 of 429 Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 AM

One other thing, when I was on the fw two versions back, I didn't have this EPG issue. The channel scan only found a single PBS channel set, so there wasn't a duplicate set of channels to be deleted.
post #330 of 429 Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So you are receiving 33.x from two different transmitters, presumably the main tower and a repeater of the same broadcast, is that correct? I'm not familiar with that situation so I don't know if the TViX may get confused by it.

I suggest that you try deleting all of the 33.x channels from the GoTo list and then add just the stronger of the 19-25 pair using the technique that I described. If that doesn't solve the problem, repeat the deletion and try adding just the other of the pair.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page