DVICO TViX R3310? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 429 Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes, but you'll also see multiple tracks if the station is sending both DD 5.1 and 2.0 or secondary languages. This is very common. But if, say, there's no 5.1 track during a commercial break between programs and then there is one for the program, but somebody misses the cue, you might see the program audio start on the same PID as the commercial and then stop when the switch is thrown to add the 5.1 track...or something like that. This is just one of many possible ways that the recording could be messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 429 Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding audio drops, there had always been a problem where the audio would drop out in playback and it's continued with the most recent FW but the solution is fairly easy: Stop playback and restart where the problem began using Bookmark. In my experience the sound always comes back.

Another more serious problem that has continued and actually has got worse with the new FW, is blank recordings or problems booting up or shutting down properly. Has anyone noticed in their experience with the new FW that if you disable timeshifting a majority of your recordings come out blank? There is data, a lot of it, but nothing in playback. I can improve on this problem by enabling timeshifting but then I notice problems with the timer failing to boot or shut down properly. Also, tuning stations can be a problem with timeshifting enabled; they just get lost and in extreme situations they can even get mixed up. I'm curious what other people's experiences have been with this.
post #393 of 429 Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

wuthrich--

The dropped audio scenario that you describe is consistent with my hypothesis about midstream changes of audio PIDs in the PMT/PAT structure. Are you seeing these with OTA or cable recordings? How frequent and on how many (and which) channels?

I haven't seen the problem that you describe of sizeable-but-blank recordings. What do they look like in TSReader's analysis? EDIT: Belay that question. TViX 3310 recordings can't be directly analyzed in TSReader because (unlike other TViX recordings) they aren't completely proper transport streams.
post #394 of 429 Old 08-21-2010, 11:00 AM

I only do OTA. The audio drop out is sporadic but when it does happen it almost always happens near the beginning of a program. It's seems like it can happen with any channel. As I recall though if it happens it will always happen at the same point if I review the recording. There will be a visible glitch and the audio will drop out and remain so for the duration UNLESS I stop the program and restart using Bookmark--I suppose I could also restart and jump forward after the poin where the audio stopped and that would work too. It's like there's some point in the recording which will knock out the audio and if I skip it it will work fine.

I'm not familiar with TSreader.
post #395 of 429 Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Google TSReader Lite Download. After installing it, run and select "file" in the first-run prompt for input types. Then you can scan your recording files to see what is the structure of their transport stream packaging and that may provide us a clue as to why you see no video on some of them.

Where are you? (I.e., what is the OTA market you're in?)
post #396 of 429 Old 08-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Liked: 12
I also have had a number of recordings that didn't play back. It tried, and then returned me back down to the folder I was in. VideoReDo also couldn't read these recordings so I just figured the signal wasn't coming in good when the recording was made, perhaps because of the weather.

I just wish I had known about TSReader when I had some of these problem recordings or dropped sound issues. Unfortunately the recordings have all been deleted.
post #397 of 429 Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM

I updated to the beta FW 1.8.5 the other day, did a channel rescan and now I have a new issue...no OTA (cable) HD networks. I have the most basic of cables, but I could always use this tuner to get the standard networks in HD using the QAM tuner. Ironically, so far my digital stations come in pretty good and I'm not seeing any other major issues yet with this beta FW.

This is the first time I've used this tuner on my cable line in a while; the issues FW 1.8.2 was giving me just made me give up for a while on it but I was anxious to try the new version since it seems Dvico is living up to their promise to fix their issues on the 3310. What I'm afraid of is this lack of HD stations using QAM tuning is actually Comcast's doing...we're well past the goofy "need a Comcast digital tuner box to receive this station" nonsense and I'm worried they managed to drop free HD broadcasts of the major networks without it (which I didn't think they were allowed to do). I'm in the Harrisburg, PA Comcast area...anybody else seeing this issue elsewhere?

UPDATE: OK, this is Comcast's fault, in a way. They just moved their stations. I was used to the HD networks low on the channel count, so CBS HD was 43-1 and the digital station was 43-5, e.g. They moved them WAY up in the channel order, so for example CBS HD is now 90-2. Talk about weird! At least everything's copacetic so far though, as far as tuning issues go. Might fire up the DVR at some point to see how recording has improved (if it has).
post #398 of 429 Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you have any other QAM tuner to test with? Otherwise, I suggest that you look at the local Comcast AVS thread for your area and ask there if you don't see an answer posted already about clear QAM broadcast local HD stations. My understanding is that in most Comcast markets they're moving toward not only having the local stations in HD but also including PSIP data so that your DTV tuner shows the correct virtual channel ID for them.

But it is curious that you don't see them in the TViX scan, while you do see the SD (standard definition) cable stations (at least, I assume that's what you mean by "my digital stations"). Do the SD stations have PSIP info; i.e., does the TViX display "reasonable" channel numbers for them, rather than the rf channel number followed by "-1", "-2", etc.?

Edit: "reasonable" == either Comcast's or the broadcasters' virtual channel ID
post #399 of 429 Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 AM

T, thanks as always for your knowledgeable and thorough replies. I don't have another QAM tuner to test with, but I will check in with my local HD stations thread here on AVS to see if anyone else has seen the same thing. It looks like besides moving some of the HD networks around they may have actually removed a few but I'm not certain yet. I'll keep plugging away at it. Free TV is never easy!

Not sure about PSIP data; I've long given up hope on any guide data over my Comcast service. Not sure if it's my cable service or the Tvix that has never gotten that info right, but in over a year's time without anything remotely resembling useful data I've kind of stopped trying. I do get some data with a few digital stations, and the SD channels do have "reasonable" channel numbers just like if I tuned them with my regular TV coax input instead of the Tvix.
post #400 of 429 Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 View Post

I do get some data with a few digital stations, and the SD channels do have "reasonable" channel numbers just like if I tuned them with my regular TV coax input instead of the Tvix.

Actually, that's not what I mean. You'll always get the same channel IDs on your HDTV and on the TViX (unless the DTV firmware is brain damaged) because they both depend upon the presence of the PSIP data stream to display the "reasonable" number. If there are no PSIP data, both devices are forced to display something based on the actual cable rf channel, usually that's the channel number followed by "." or "-" and the program number of the subchannel. These are "unreasonable" because the channel and program numbers assigned to the broadcast locals on your cable are completely arbitrary (and change from time to time).

For an idea of what channels are on your cable, you can check out this SiliconDust website using your zipcode. Depending on how many customers SiliconDust has in your area this may or may not be an accurate listing.
post #401 of 429 Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM

I happened to use TSReader to view a normal .tp file recorded by my 3310. See the first attachment. Nothing appears in some of the boxes. For comparison, the 2nd attachment is a .tp file that has been edited by VideoReDo and saved as a .ts file.
LL
LL
post #402 of 429 Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, the native R-3310 recordings are not proper transport streams, so TSReader has trouble with them (as you can see from all the "errors" listed). VRD evidently reprocesses them into compliant TS files so that TSReader is happy.
post #403 of 429 Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Yes, the native R-3310 recordings are not proper transport streams, so TSReader has trouble with them...

So if I encounter a dropped-audio recording, I wouldn't be able to use TSReader to examine it?
post #404 of 429 Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about that quirk of the 3310 when I was posting that suggestion, sorry.
post #405 of 429 Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

A follow up on WNYB 26.1,2 Jamestown NY. This station reversed the HD/SD order and has the HD channel as 26.2. They were doing some odd scaling stretching the SD channel to 16:9. When these channels were displayed on the R3310, unit just froze and then rebooted. These channels now appear normally with the SD channel 4:3 and the HD channel 16:9. The unit no longer reboots when on these channels. CBC Toronto still an issue with newer firmware. Only works with v1.5.4.
post #406 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Dunno if you guys are still around. I'm a new user of the 3310, and I have played with it some. I love the PQ on replay, when it records. Unfortunately, it often does not record programs set via the guide or manually set. They just disappear from the recording schedule. I also have the reboot on ION channels problem. The guide is sporadic on Comcast, with some channels having good info and some have none. Anyway, I'd like to try other versions of the firmware, but first I'd like to know which version it has on it right now. I can't seem to find any way to get the current firmware info. Help?

Thanks,
Keen
post #407 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Keen--

The FW version number is displayed in the corner of the Setup screens (lower righthand, if memory serves).

Where is that ION station transmitting? The issue is station specific so we'd like to know which one you're having trouble with.

Unless you have a hardware problem I don't think that you'll see missed recordings with any of the more recent FW versions.
post #408 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Ah, yes, thank you, lower right corner. Right now it has version 1.8.4 on it. Perhaps I'll try 1.8.5 or 1.5.4. The lost recordings may be a signal problem, as I occasionally get pixelation when it rains.

I'm in a Minneapolis suburb using Comcast (unsubscribed). I have not tried OTA yet. The local ION station is channel 41 broadcasting from St. Cloud, MN. I assume Comcast gets the feed from satellite.

I really like the possibilities in this unit, so I hope I can work it out.
Thanks for the reply,
Keen
post #409 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You get pixelation when it rains on cable? You need a better cable connection, Lad. Comcast most likely gets the OTA station feeds via a fiber link, not satellite. If you're a Basic Cable subscriber you can get Comcast to come out and set up a proper signal level on your cable.
post #410 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't subscribe ( one of the reasons for Tvix and NOT Tivo ). I'm fairly sure I know where the problem is, just a corroded connector. Some day I'll get around to fixing it.

For today, three of the four shows I scheduled to record actually recorded. So perhaps I'll stick with 1.8.4 for a while to see how it goes. I can live without ION.

Thanks again,
Keen
post #411 of 429 Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You would need more than a Basic Cable subscription for TiVo to make any sense over TViX.
post #412 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 12:15 PM

My unit just died today, at least I think so. Some problems leading up to this failure were: the fan was having issues, looked like it was detaching from the unit's chasis (rattleing) so I had to slow it down; just before it died it booted up a few times without recognizing the harddrive; and then today it just blinked when turned on but never indicated it was 'booting'--dead. Just curious if anyone has had any of these issues with the unit. My sense is that probably the fan had completely stopped working and I hadn't noticed it. Does this sound like the failure that would result from overheating? Looking to probably replace with 6620 (unless someone has info that can save the unit); is this comperable or hopefully better than 3310?
post #413 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuthrich View Post

My unit just died today, at least I think so. Some problems leading up to this failure were: the fan was having issues, looked like it was detaching from the unit's chasis (rattleing) so I had to slow it down; just before it died it booted up a few times without recognizing the harddrive; and then today it just blinked when turned on but never indicated it was 'booting'--dead. Just curious if anyone has had any of these issues with the unit. My sense is that probably the fan had completely stopped working and I hadn't noticed it. Does this sound like the failure that would result from overheating? Looking to probably replace with 6620 (unless someone has info that can save the unit); is this comperable or hopefully better than 3310?

It sounds like a power supply issue. Contact me if you want to try swapping one out.
post #414 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuthrich View Post

Looking to probably replace with 6620 (unless someone has info that can save the unit); is this comperable or hopefully better than 3310?

Yes, it is better in virtually all respects, since it's the next generation of Realtek-based TViX. Sorry to hear about your cooked R3310!
post #415 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Crap. The 3300 has SO much potential! SO many features! It's just such a shame they gave up development. I love the picture! Love the VHS transfer. Love the USB features! I even don't mind the goofy interface and remote!

But I'm about to give up. Whenever it switches channels to record, the screen comes up blank. It shows full signal bars, but the screen is blank, and it records nothing. If I stop recording, switch the channel up and back manually, the picture comes back, and I can record manually.

Scheduling shows to record one after the other almost never works, whether its the same channel or a different one. It almost always locks up, and then I get neither show.

Shows longer than 2 hours (or recording from VHS) lock it up about 25% of the time. Very frustrating.

The auto set time function doesn't work in my area, and manual time gains a couple minutes a month. PIA

I can live with the (very) spotty program guide and resetting the time, but the lockups and channel blackouts are driving me nuts. Any thoughts? My current firmware is 1.8.4.

Thanks, Keen
post #416 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

keenyoung, I think that everything that you like about the R3300 is still there in the M6620N. But in addition it has built-in WiFi, dual tuners, and the ability to play back a file while recording two new programs at that same time. Tempus fugit.
post #417 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

keenyoung, I think that everything that you like about the R3300 is still there in the M6620N. But in addition it has built-in WiFi, dual tuners, and the ability to play back a file while recording two new programs at that same time. Tempus fugit.

The feature missing on the new model is the VHS recording, it's no longer available in the M6620N.

You maybe experiencing the same problem we're starting to notice in some markets, that ION changed their stream causing a shutdown while the unit is scanning PSIP. If you have a local ION channel, try removing it out of the lineup.
post #418 of 429 Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Kei, you caught me--I never noticed that analog video input had gone missing. Fortunately, that feature, in the form of analog video capture to USB, is available these days separately and at very low cost from many vendors. (It's also still a feature of the FusionHDTV PCI and USB tuners made by DViCo)
post #419 of 429 Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Power supply? That would be great if it could be solved. The light on the circular 'button' portion of the unit does blink on and off so there is some power flowing through the unit. The read-out screen is completely blank. What makes you think it's a power supply issue? How can I contact you to switch it out?
post #420 of 429 Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the first thing to suspect if the VFD is not working. PM me with your e-mail and I'll provide disassembly instructions to see if you want to attempt it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page