post #91 of 429 Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 View Post

Kei, I was hoping either you or someone else knowledgeable about this stuff can clear this up for me. I was reading Dvico's site regarding the latest F/W for the Tvix boxes, and this is described in the fixes:

2. Avoid the H.264 channel scanning both DVB-T and ATSC.

What exactly does this mean? I understand that the latest Tvix boxes don't "do" H.264, but I thought this was only a codec for certain HD video. Does this innocuous sounding "fix" in this firmware mean an R-3310 won't pull down free HD broadcasts using the QAM tuner? Or am I reading too much into this?

In Europe and other parts of the world H264 is used, rather than MPEG2, for SD and/or HD DVB-T OTA broadcasts.

In Ireland, Norway, New Zealand and quite a few other places H264 is the main standard for all OTA broadcasting - alongside HE-AAC audio I believe.

In France and Sweden H264 is used for HD, with MPEG2 used for SD, and a mixture of MP2 and Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus is used for audio. In France H264 is also used for encrypted OTA Pay TV in SD I believe.

I suspect the warning is because the unit doesn't support H264 - and in some countries there is H264 DVB-T being broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 429 Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Not sure what that means, I've never seen an h.264 ATSC station, Terry maybe able to comment if that codec is commonly used on cable QAM. The R3310 is not able to playback h.264, and this maybe more an issue in Europe for DVB-T users.

H264 is the only codec used (with a small number of exceptions) for HD in Europe - on both DVB-T and DVB-S.

Many countries now introducing DVB-T OTA digital services to replace or augment their PAL or SECAM analogue services are chosing H264 for SD as well. In some cases there is a mix of SD MPEG2 and HD H264 (Sweden), a mix of SD MPEG2, SD H264 and HD H264 (France) - and in some cases the entire system is H264 (New Zealand, Norway, Ireland etc.)

Some countries are SD MPEG2 only for DVB-T - UK, Germany etc. - though the UK is introducing DVB-T2 (a new more efficient modulation scheme) with H264 for HD later this year.
post #93 of 429 Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my R3310 exchanged. Not sure what was wrong or what was corrected. My testing on this unit is post DTV transition, so I don't know if some of the problems were interference from analog broadcasts. Regular received digital channels including subchannels is now 29, so it's a busy OTA location. I'm running firmware v1.5.4 and am going to leave it there for a while. Macro blocking that I was getting and not getting on any TV tuner is gone. If I get noise on a channel and check against the TV tuner, I get the same noise. I've also watched channels that are 480i upconverted to 1080i and no longer have audio/video restarting. Other quirks mentioned in previous posts like some channels not picked up in a scan with different firmware still exist. Firmware v1.5.4 seems to be the best for this area. Nice to have the unit back. It was missed.
post #94 of 429 Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
The timeshift I assume can be HD quality, but the recordings are always SD quality?
post #95 of 429 Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Absolutely not. Digital TV recordings--timeshift and otherwise--are captures of the broadcast transport stream and contain exactly the same video and audio information as was transmitted.
post #96 of 429 Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM

So this thing records OTA HD material as broadcast? That is sweet? Do you know if the sister model R2210 model does as well? Also, I'm looking at the outputs on R2210 and don't see component. Would a HDMI to component adapter output hd to my old tunerless HDTV, and still record HD?

I've been looking for an in production OTA set-top box with hard drive dvr & recorder for a long time? These two look interesting, and I'd like to know more. Thinking long term and wondering - is all OTA broadcast in .mpg2 and are there plans in US for switch to .mpg4? Can HD recordings be transferred to computer or additional hard drive? Can DVR do slow motion or frame by frame trick play stuff? What problems have people been having with the DVICO TViX R2210 - I don't even see a thread on the R2210?
post #97 of 429 Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The R-2210 is the same inside as the R-3310 but it lacks several I/O ports because of its smaller size. Most importantly, it lacks a wired LAN port and, AFAIK, it doesn't support WiFi-N, so you shouldn't expect to stream HD material to/from it on your network. You need the R-3310 for YPbPr too. Their PVR functions are the same. Trick play of HDTV is far better (reliable) than on any of the Sigma Designs boxes that I've seen. It has FF & RW at several speeds, +/- 15 sec. jumps, and GoTo specific time. However, no slow motion or frame stepping, AFAICT, yet(?).

Yes all OTA (and cable) DTV (HD and SD) is in MPEG-2, because that's the ATSC standard. Satellite is going MP4, as are other locales, but it's not likely to come to U.S. OTA broadcasts for a long time.
post #98 of 429 Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

The R-2210 is the same inside as the R-3310 but it lacks several I/O ports because of its smaller size. Most importantly, it lacks a wired LAN port and, AFAIK, it doesn't support WiFi-N, so you shouldn't expect to stream HD material to/from it on your network. You need the R-3310 for YPbPr too. Their PVR functions are the same. Trick play of HDTV is far better (reliable) than on any of the Sigma Designs boxes that I've seen. It has FF & RW at several speeds, +/- 15 sec. jumps, and GoTo specific time. However, no slow motion or frame stepping, AFAICT, yet(?).

Yes all OTA (and cable) DTV (HD and SD) is in MPEG-2, because that's the ATSC standard. Satellite is going MP4, as are other locales, but it's not likely to come to U.S. OTA broadcasts for a long time.

Still wondering:
1. how many hard drives these support, and if files can be moved to my computer?
2. on model R-2210 why wouldn't an hdmi adapter to component be able to display to my old HDTV with record/play functions still working? If adapter would not work and units are as you say are identical on the inside, then how hard would it be to solder a component out? Same with network and wifi? I know manufacuters warrenties would be voided, but I've never had a toy that was not completely disassembled.
3. can 2.5" hard drives be used on R-3310?
4. can a recording be paused live to edit out commercials then recording resumed?
5. can I rewind a live show and start recording from the buffer?
6. any plans for adding a second tuner?
7. does this infridge on any TiVo patents?
post #99 of 429 Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. 1 internal and 2 external (USB). Yes, file transfer is possible via USB or LAN, but the latter is rather slow for HDTV files.
2. I wouldn't count on this being possible, since the supporting electronics may be lacking for YPbPr in the 2210. (What I meant by "same inside" was that the basic chipset is the same--I don't know how different are the circuit boards themselves)
3. Yes, with padding, it's not designed to accept them.
4. No, but this is better done with H2M or other MPEG-2 editor afterward anyway.
5. No.
6. Yes, it's in the works.
7. Not AFAIK.
post #100 of 429 Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 AM

I just bought this box and played for a while. I have been an owner or experienced user of various PVRs such as TIVO, directv, echo star, and Satellite FTA. In general, TXix R3310 hardware is good enough, except it is way too hot near the tuner and fan.
The software user interface is way below all other brands I've been used.
I hope they can fix the following items in the future release:

(1) Remove the offensive RED dot on the screen while recording a channel. This is so ridiculous. The RED dot should be part of the information displayed when you press "info" button. This should be very easy to fix.

(2) Add capability to scan an individual RF channel, or some kind of channel add capability. Currently, it rescans and forgets channels from previous scan.
My antenna is that good. I have to adjust it a little bit in order to receive some channels with some other channels losing signal. So, there is no way for me to find all the channels at the same time.

(3) Signal strength display should have more resolution. A 0-100 meter should be given to user in order to peak the signal by adjusting the antenna.

(4) The Font size is too small and thin in general in the menu, guide and display. The current time display is way way too small to be illegible.
Also The black background is a bad choice, since most TV sets cannot yield a high quality black. They should give user options to select background and foreground color, or at least don't use black as background.

(5) The recording files should not be put in folders according to the channel. This makes sorting impossible, and so it is very difficult to find a program from a large number of recordings. The program files should be all in one folder with sorting capability by time, letters, size ....

(6)The recorded program should also carry the information: description of program, the resolution (480, 720, 1080...), the time length, the channel it is recorded from, the time it is recorded, the file size, the rating...
post #101 of 429 Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM

I am running ver. 1.5.4.

(7) Should be able to watch a pre-recorded program, while recording another program.
post #102 of 429 Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM

The remote control is very user unfriendly. The letters on the button is small and thin. The button size is too small.
post #103 of 429 Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM

They fixed some of the things you mention with firmware v1.6.8, however, created a bunch more, so v1.5.4 remains the latest release. I've been using mine for several months and agree with some of the comments. I don't watch what I'm recording, but really the red dot is unnecessary. I'm ok with the channel scan as I can get all channels without a rotator. However, I'm a minority and this really needs fixed. For signal strength 3 bars is channel break up and 5 bars max signal. On my Samsung STB 1 bar is fairly stable, 10 bars is full signal. 5 bars on the Samsung gives full signal on the R3310. For recorded functions look at the Record List posted for v1.6.8. It's not quite as fancy as a Satellite box but pretty good. Something else I'd like is another option to the clock setting. Some boxes you can select a specific channel as the one that corrects the clock. Some PSIP clocks are not very good, and manual setting runs fast about a minute a week. Recorded info sometimes picks up on previous program. Regarding the remote, I use a Harmony and prefer it over the standard remote. But if you used it all the time, I think you'd get used to it.
post #104 of 429 Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM

especially, it plays video/audio/picture files stored on my external USB hard drive. At first, I thought I have to copy these files on to the internal drive in order to play.
post #105 of 429 Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 AM

otacool,

Are using component video or HDMI? I'm currently using component video to Sharp Aquos and find things much better. I had an issue with 1080i HD channels showing upconverted 480i content in commercials. Using HDMI this still occurs, using component video doesn't happen. Maybe slight incompatibility with HDMI versions? Comparing tuners, R3310 not as good with weak channels as the Sharp Aquos tuner. For example, Sharp tuner 35-50% signals give reasonable picture with the odd break up, R3310 tuner not stable at all. Above 50% on the Sharp tuner, R3310 picture fine. I wouldn't say the tuner is bad as it is quite comparable with other TV's, it's just not as sensitive as the Sharp tuner. Overall, pretty good system. I like the multimedia functions for digital photos, and camcorder movies.
post #106 of 429 Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 AM

I did not try component yet. I'll do it later. I noticed, I have to set the output as 1080i in order to have the best result for any format of the original program.
Down-convert is really lousy. Up-converting is good if you set 1080i using HDMI cable. The R3310 tuner cannot compare with my Sony TV, or my DishPal plus converter box.
By the way, I am using the famous self-made coat hanger antenna. For R3310, I use two such antenna combined, and got good reception for all channels. One antenna is placed to get good reception for some channels, and the other one is placed to get good reception for other channels. I combined their output together with a (40-1000 MHz band) splitter (i.e., also a combiner) and feed to the R3310.

With V1.5.4, the scheduled recording is unreliable. Sometimes, it did not record, and sometimes it recorded just too long (forever if I did not stop it manually).

It is really a bad idea to put recorded files in to separated folders. It is too difficult to find a program to play quickly. Imagine, I have 50 channels, and thus 50 folders. I have to go though all these folders to find a prerecorded program to play. Also, it is bad idea: the folder name is just the channel name without the channel number. The channel names are often MHZ2, MHZ8, WJYD, FGDS, CYHK..... Who can make sense and like to remember such weird words.
post #107 of 429 Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 AM

I just post my wish-list to their official web site, and I got response in two days. I was told, they are working on most items of my wish list.
post #108 of 429 Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacool View Post

It is really a bad idea to put recorded files in to separated folders.

I won't argue this point with you, but have you tried using the list of all captured programs that pops up when you press the bookmark key?
post #109 of 429 Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM

I did not explore bookmark in detail yet.
According to the manual, it won't help much for my case for that:
(1) limitation of 8 bookmarks and 8 files
(2) File has to be accessed first.

They should associated each medium file with some kind of attribute file which stores all the additional information (including the unlimited bookmarks), if they don't like to attach it to the original medium file.

More wish:

(1) When it boots up, it by default goes to the previous channel played, or any channel, in stead of staying at medium selection.
(2) The recorded file should remember/show the start time. It currently remember/show the end time, which is another bad anomaly to everybody else.
post #110 of 429 Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just press the bookmark key after you have made some recordings and I think that you'll see what I mean. I don't think that the 8 file limit applies, since this is a different function than the actual bookmarking one (but I've not made enough captures to test that yet).
post #111 of 429 Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 AM

I did press bookmark after I made the recording, and only one program I just recorded showed in the bookmark list for the first time I pressed the button. Other recorded programs are not in the bookmark.
This button is not useful to me at all.
post #112 of 429 Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacool View Post

I did press bookmark after I made the recording, and only one program I just recorded showed in the bookmark list for the first time I pressed the button. Other recorded programs are not in the bookmark.
This button is not useful to me at all.

How many recordings had you made since the last time you changed firmwares?
post #113 of 429 Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM

about 10 in the storage at the time I press the bookmark button.
post #114 of 429 Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I don't know if there's a limit to the number but I do know for certain that the R-3310 retains more than just the last capture in the DTV recordings list. So you must have done something to clear the list prior to that lone capture that you saw. If it wasn't a firmware update, then perhaps you performed a reset to factory defaults in setup??
post #115 of 429 Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug79 View Post

The major fix for me would be if they took care of the FF/RW issue where these buttons flip out on a recording that is over 80 minutes long. I plan on recording some basketball soon and will test this out. The posted release notes for this firmware do not mention this bug at all, but Dvico has confirmed to me that it is a known problem.

So, did the 1.6.8 firmware fix the ff/rw/goto issue with files over 80 minutes?

I am also experiencing the same ffwd and goto issues with recordings larger than 80 minutes. If I use goto twice in a row, it will skip backwards 80 minutes then let me skip forward past the 80 min mark. From what I have experienced, starting a goto or ffwd operation before the 80 min mark will let you skip beyond the 80 min mark, but once you are past that mark, attempting to use either ffwd, rwd, or goto will cause the playback to skip backwards the 80 minutes.

Currently I am having to split recordings into 1 hr increments or just strip out the commercials altogether, but this requires transferring the files back and forth from the internal hard drive to the computer to split them.
post #116 of 429 Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Anyone know why the FTP link for the TViX is so slow? My transfers over FTP take about 5 times longer than through the USB.

Currently I have another computer sitting next to the TV just to connect up the USB cable and share out the USB drive over the network. Copying files from one computer to the computer that has the USB drive is about as fast as having the USB drive local, and definitely faster than the current FTP method available on the TViX.
post #117 of 429 Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere View Post

Currently I have another computer sitting next to the TV just to connect up the USB cable and share out the USB drive over the network. Copying files from one computer to the computer that has the USB drive is about as fast as having the USB drive local, and definitely faster than the current FTP method available on the TViX.

Network throughput is limited by the processor performance. Similar throughput limitations also apply to other Sigma-based media players.
post #118 of 429 Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

bfdtv--

What you say is correct; however, the R-3310 is not Sigma-based so it doesn't have the same pokey LAN-port hardware and I'm not sure what is the bottleneck in its FTP performance. I've asked DViCo for clarification and I'll pass along whatever I learn.
post #119 of 429 Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

bfdtv--

What you say is correct; however, the R-3310 is not Sigma-based so it doesn't have the same pokey LAN-port hardware and I'm not sure what is the bottleneck in its FTP performance. I've asked DViCo for clarification and I'll pass along whatever I learn.

Thanks, that's good to know. Looking at their web site, I see the R2xxx and Rxxx use the Realtek RT1282, while the M6500 and M7000 use Sigma SMP8635.
post #120 of 429 Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum. I'm thinking of buying the R3310 and I'm interested in this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsphere View Post

Anyone know why the FTP link for the TViX is so slow? My transfers over FTP take about 5 times longer than through the USB.

Can anyone give me a benchmark on the time it takes to copy a big file to the unit using ethernet vs. USB? For example, a 4.7 GB DVD file. Is it one hour for ethernet and ten minutes for USB? What can I expect?

Thanks,

-Rob
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page